Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Davin Valkri posted:

Gnome7 makes it sound like some kind of card-driven WWI or Korean War game. I don't know if that's good or bad.
I'm sure they've released a WW1 expansion for it. I'm just totally amazed that there hasn't been a Munchkin Autoduel, but I guess Steve Jackson knows the relative worth of his properties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

Munchkin isn't Monopoly bad, it's just too shallow to hold up for very long. Inevitably there's a huge bottleneck at the end because everyone tries to screw the leader and can.

It's good for like one game where you laugh at the goofy cards and art and make insane trades, but I can't imagine going back. I'd never build a night around it.
I would honestly rather play monopoly than munchkin.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Rotten Cookies posted:

Zombies! is indeed more fun when you play it as coop. Everyone has to get to the helipad and you can trade items. I forgot what we did with the items/screw cards. I think screw cards were played instantly

If you want to play a zombie game where screwing over other people is front and center, City of Horror is such a tighter and better choice, with awesome components. If you want pure coop, Zombicide is a thing of beauty.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Apart from where Wick said balance doesn't matter in an RPG I thought that post was entirely reasonable.
what's even more frightening is that rpgpundit's post was also mostly reasonable. Basically, if you are playing D&D with no roleplaying, you are doing it wrong.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
So, I need a good name for the Djinn mafia in my Ottoman/Persian setting.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

unseenlibrarian posted:

The Benevolent Order of the Smokeless Fire.
Sounds good. I was also thinking of calling them the Legitimate Businessmen.

They basically control the building trades (through ruthless magical undercutting), garbage disposal (through dumping into elemental planes, which they turn around and sell scavenging rights to the dumps), and shape shifting prostitution. They are tolerated by political elites because they can grant Wishes.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

fosborb posted:

Why not just "The Cartel" or something similar and the players discover it's run by djinns? Is it a setting where there is no value in hiding who runs it because everyone already knows? If that's the case, then, "The Djinno Family"
oh, because its broadly known that they are djinn, and they leverage their position on the basis of typical djinn powers, like building castles from sand, shape shifting, and granting wishes.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
I was also hoping that someone who is Persian or Turkish could provide me with some kind of interesting cultural reference or catchphrase to use with naming my Djinn Mafia.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

FMguru posted:

Just have them call themselves "The Foundation" - maybe use the Arabic word for it.
lol

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Spincut posted:

Wow, that image is from the AD&D Beginner Set, right? That was my entry into D&D and I *still* remember that picture (that was the pre-gen dwarf fighter).
I think that was also the cover to the sequel to The Crystal Shard. I guess those Drizz't books are still in development hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Don't get me wrong, I think J.J. Abrams will do a better job with Star Wars than Star Trek. Even then, all the J.J. Trek movies have been successes critically and financially. I just think it's interesting that their plan of popping out the movies quickly will put the last one out at about the time they get the rights to everything, 2020.
My big complaint about the Trek movie is that the second one was too star wars. Anyway, the prequel movies prove that the movies could be total poo poo and still make a ton of money.

• Locked thread