Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

ascendance posted:

what's even more frightening is that rpgpundit's post was also mostly reasonable. Basically, if you are playing D&D with no roleplaying, you are doing it wrong.

I disagree.

1e had a tournament scene and I can't imagine a group in a tournament taking much time to roleplay. You could play 4e as table top Disgaea if that was your thing. 3e character gen was a fun game that some people played more than actual 3e. These seem like perfectly acceptable and reasonably mainstream ways to play the game.

That D&D can be fun without roleplaying is, weirdly, the only thing from this essay I agree with. I don't think the definition of roleplaying game he uses is useful or valid. I think CoC is a particularly dumb counter example because your can easily play CoC as a point and click adventure with dice rolling. Having a weapons list that provides some tactical options is totally cool in the right game. OTOH, unnecessary complex weapons lists in games that don't need them mostly went out the door around the mid 2000s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

FewtureMD posted:

Is there a game for emulating backstabbing high society folks at a tea party? That'd be my ideal.

edit: Social/verbal backstabs, not the Rogue kind

Midsummer Woods?

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

ascendance posted:

So, I need a good name for the Djinn mafia in my Ottoman/Persian setting.

The Make-A-Wish Foundation

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Guildencrantz posted:

My players are the best. They surprised me with a birthday cake :3:

(name pixellated to protect the nerdy)

Elite Gaine Molster

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

The other side of tokens and PDFs is oh god how am I going to put together all the stuff for The Clay That Woke.

• Locked thread