Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I just can't get past "here's your game about playing scoundrels, now here's your--we swear it's different and necessary--game about being rebels."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

MadScientistWorking posted:

Well I mean yeah if you are completely making up stuff that you supposedly read its sort of strange but Fantasy Flight is completely honest about the three games almost being exactly the same outside of a few mechanics. Admittedly, its still a bit off putting given that you are still buying the equivalent of a Dungeon Master Guide every time but I haven't actually looked at Age of Rebellion to see how much information changes.

The point is it's silly to split it up like the 40K RPGs in the first place. How nice and honest they are about it doesn't matter.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

MadScientistWorking posted:

Ehhh... Its pretty much like how most if not a lot of RPGs do it though so I'm not entirely sure why this one is causing you to have a fit.

How am I having a fit? I just think it's silly and unnecessary.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Comrade Gorbash posted:

The only real major difference between how FFG does the 40k and Star Wars RPGs vs how other companies did similar games is that instead of a bunch of splat books, they have a small number of supplements and sell multiple versions of the core book.

On the one hand this means if you only want to play Space Marines you just need to buy the one book and not shell out for a separate corebook. On the other hand it means if you do want to play Space Marines AND Inquisitors, you're spending extra money to repurchase material you already have with the two corebooks.

I'm honestly not sure whether either model is really superior.

I think it makes sense with the 40K RPGs, where being a space marine is vastly different than being some scrub who works for an inquisitor, and even a two game split would make sense to me in Star Wars because Old Republic Jedi adventures are quite different than Rebellion Era adventures, and it's difficult to balance Force users against non-Force users. But I don't see a reason to split up rebels and scoundrels, and from what I understand, there are balance problems around force users in the two games that are out. So it just seems rather pointless to me beyond being a different way to organize the line.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

ProfessorCirno posted:

I'll never understand people who desperately ache for a Star Wars with no jedi in it. It's like wanting to play Shadowrun but hating the orks and mages. Dudes, there's settings and systems right there for you, just take the obligatory big animal race and call it a wookie.

You misunderstand me. I desperately ache for a Star Wars where Jedi are actually playable alongside other characters without causing friction due to serious balance issues. But I doubt that will happen, so if FFG is gonna split up the game into games, splitting overpowered Jedi off into their own game is a sensible implementation of that policy (moreso than splitting up scoundrels and rebels in my opinion).

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

if the new movies bomb

They won't. The people who complain loudest about the prequels will be first in line, followed by all the kids who absolutely adore the prequels.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Don't get me wrong, I think J.J. Abrams will do a better job with Star Wars than Star Trek. Even then, all the J.J. Trek movies have been successes critically and financially. I just think it's interesting that their plan of popping out the movies quickly will put the last one out at about the time they get the rights to everything, 2020.

Oh they definitely have this poo poo all planned out on levels we can't even conceive. I just wanted to make fun of the idea that these new SW flicks could flop. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

AlphaDog posted:

WHFRP3 was great because it included a heap of that stuff along with special dice. Considering that the system and setting as a whole isn't really our sort of thing, my group had a good time with it. I think the cards, cool dice, chits and tokens, assemblable tracks, etc made it a lot more fun for us than we would have had with just a rulebook and character sheets.

Oh, and it's way easier to teach a brand new player to look at a card, roll dice, match symbols than it is to teach them, say, D&D. If WHFRP3 had a better organised rulebook, it would have been a joy to learn and teach it.

edit: I have ripped off the tracks thing for basically everything since I played that game.

My group loved the cards and special dice, but felt all the rest was excessive. And yeah, the rulebook is garbage as far as clarity and organization go.

• Locked thread