Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

zachol posted:

Specific languages are fun if members of the group share a language that the locals don't. Then you can play around with the party members sneakily communicating, how others respond when they don't understand, suddenly realizing that one of the NPCs does understand the language, etc.

Language barriers should be a plot point, not a guessing game on your character sheet. FFG Star Wars goes out of its way to say that unless you're on some backwater planet, everyone can understand each other. Translator droids are useful for dramatic purposes.

I was in a game once where we decided that Gnomish and Dwarven were related, so the character who spoke Gnomish could sort-of understand and speak Dwarven. The DM ran all of the sentences through Google Translate and back and let the player sort out what the dwarves were trying to say. It was a pretty amusing "minigame."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Okay yeah, I give, what the poo poo is this poo poo?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Zombies! is a weird game because you'd expect it to be coop (like, you know, every zombie movie) but you basically play it solo and the only real interaction between players is screwing the other guy.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Ferrinus posted:

gently caress it, in my terrified desperation I'll try to fight back against you with a teacup, because why wouldn't I?"

Because in order to model fiction that doesn't allow a teacup to be an efficient weapon at all times, the Riddick expended some sort of plot-based resource (such as FATE points or a daily power or a PC-only maneuver that allows improvised weapon use) that allows him to do something so awesome. Alternately, in a sufficiently abstract system he rolled really well and narrates the entire scene with complete dramatic authority.

Modeling action movies with fantasy asymmetric warfare simulators is probably a poor choice.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Would IS ALWAYS ABLE TO MURDER YOU be better as an aspect or a stunt?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Ningyou posted:

actually can this just be tea party chat now because tea parties are pretty fuckin baller

There are a couple people in this thread who tread dangerously close to getting a Mrs. Nesbitt avatar.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

This thread is rapidly making the original exchange look positively erudite by comparison.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Ettin posted:

Alright that's enough about teacups.

Now shall be the reign of the saucer.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

FMguru posted:

Of course, Star Wars without Jedi misses the point of most of the movies, and you end up with Traveller-but-with-Hutts-and-Wookies.

Yeah, but it's also Traveller where I don't have to explain the context or races or anything to people - everyone is familiar with the source material to a certain extent and (especially with EotE) it's a really solid foundation for pulpy, rogueish adventures. The Jedi may or may not still exist and they may or may not be incredibly powerful, but you've got a cargo hold full of contraband and a date with an bounty hunter if you don't get it where it's supposed to be on time - assuming you can avoid any entanglements.

Basically, EotE is for people who are like "gently caress that Jedi bullshit, I wanna play Han & Chewie."

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

MalcolmSheppard posted:

Pulp SF, familiarity, kickass visuals and an EU to pluck stuff. One of the best supplements I ever had for my Star Wars game was the EU maps book, where players could point at a star system and I could find out everything about it and accurately plot how long it would take to get there.

What is the name of this book?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

They just smuggled drugs.

Star Wars is supposed to be pulpy, that's pretty much the biggest defining thing about it other than the monomyth. They ape a good deal Hidden Fortress but outside A New Hope that kind of ends, other than C-3PO and R2D2.

It occurred to me this morning that Edge of the Empire isn't "Traveller with Wookies." It's "Firefly with Aliens.*" Mal is pretty much a low-resolution scan of Han Solo. He flies around in an awesome-but-beat-up ship with an adorable crew of misfits (including a girl with ~mysterious force powers~ getting into trouble as they try to make a living on the outskirts of a monolithic fascist empire. Every episode of that series could be a Star Wars adventure if you change the names and set dressings. I mean hell, they even have "Mal shoots first" in the pilot.

*Also "Firefly without unfortunate Civil War apologism."

Zurui fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 11, 2014

• Locked thread