Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

iwentdoodie posted:

I didn't know searches could narrow down to goons.

If there were a goon tinder (Stairs?) it would warn you when another goon is within a given radius and start getting more and more annoying until you separated yourselves appropriately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Tide posted:

So this is weird. My wife has had four phone calls this morning asking about fake IDs. I search her number and low and behold, her phone number is listed as a contact for fake IDs. So either my wife is a burgeoning criminal mastermind (not likely) or I don't know what. The hosting according to whois.net shows a company in the UK.

This should be fun.

Time to turn informant for the local police and make some money on the side?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

The Midniter posted:

Here's some more bankchat:

I have Wells Fargo with a Way2Save account which for anyone who doesn't know, transfers a dollar from checking into savings every time I use my debit card. For a while it was great and allowed me to effortlessly save up a couple hundred dollars which I could then spend on frivolous bullshit (it's not my primary savings account).

Well, because girlfriends are expensive, I've been finding myself constantly transferring the balance of the Way2Save account back into checking. It got to be a hassle so I requested it be closed after I completed a transfer and it was at a zero balance. I got a response back saying "Your account will be closed in four business days." Well four business days later is today and I get a message saying "Oh, there have been further transfers into the account so we can't close it, bye."

I transferred that entire amount (something like loving $9) back into checking and said "Okay, it's back at zero balance, please close it immediately." The response I got was "Okay, we'll close it in four business days." I wrote back and said "Sorry, that's unacceptable, that would mean I'd have to go from today until Tuesday the 7th without using my debit card at all. That's unrealistic and unreasonable." Their response? "Okay, we'll close it in TWO business days."

gently caress big banks, is what I'm saying. I should really just move all of my banking to my credit union...that has exactly one branch in town, and it's not close. gently caress.

Take a stack of cash out, pay with cash for awhile? Then close both accounts and tell them why.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I just heard there was a turbocharged fabric mill under development in China, but they keep having trouble with the wastegate getting plugged with yarn and opening too slowly... right now, it can only make compressor serge :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, I don't think you can run DD-WRT on any of the outsourced cost-cutting WRT54Gs (v4 and above?)

They don't have enough RAM even for the micro versions. Please proceed to mail the router back to Linksys, COD, with a brick in the box.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Did some digging, and found that changing the MTU to auto, it should fix the issues.

It won't fix it. All the Linksys WRT54s I've ever owned (and I've had a lot) eventually just go tits up. I had one that started behaving like yours, and after a series of tweaks, continued to be worse and worse until I was doing weekly resets and then weekly firmware writes to make it work. Eventually it just stopped turning on. Everything people/Linksys suggest online just placebo effects you into leaving the thread.

They're cynically made garbage from a company that treats actual expertise as a nose-wrinkling cost centre in order to make a price low enough to justify burping it out into a Best Buy to get Ma and Pa Retail onto the break-replace treadmill.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 2, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That dude is like the human equivalent of one of those Craigslist ads where the car doesn't run for dick and is rusting into a farmers' field in Hee Haw County but there's some pictures of what it could look like.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Doccers posted:

I need to get a solar trickle charger set up in the Volvo, I don't drive it as much or as far as I should so the batteries get acid stratification and then die. :(
I at least have a battery shut-off switch now that I need to install as well.

I saw a cool one a few days ago at the store that plugs in via cigarette lighter, OBD2 or alligator clips. I'm guessing only the latter applies to the Volvo.

I think it was a Coleman, and they make a few controllers as well which could probably be rigged up to provide convenience/comfort features while camping too.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

CharlesM posted:

Twin Peaks returns in 2016, this time to Showtime. I hope they film it here in Washington.

One of the old Twin Peaks sets is now the DirtFish rally school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-IUcuIBu-o

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

some texas redneck posted:

Rancid deli meats chat - still feeling like death. Stepped on the scale a little while ago and found out I've lost close to 15 pounds, in about a week. I needed to lose that weight, but I was hoping to lose through a healthier method. Gonna hit up the doctor in a bit.

Binge and purge, motherfucker. We're not trying out for the cheerleading squad anymore. This is the rowing team.

Is that listeria? Good, Alcott. You're doin' well here.
You can't swim, Lowell? Give you the loving fear of failure, it will. Give me twenty situps, give me an overview of your family's investments and then have a big helping of this raw chicken.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 8, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Cakefool posted:

Trying to sell a house so I can move somewhere less depressing, had the viewer make a point of telling me they were "disappointed by the size of the rooms"

There were pictures on the advert and dimensions in metric and imperial, it's not like I put up 18" thick wallpaper to cheat them out of the space they so rightly deserve.

I'll just go ahead and make those rooms bigger for you because the customer is always right!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Goober Peas posted:

Ugh...Little Caesar's Pretzel Pizza is nothing but regret.

Imagine a regular pepperoni pizza with Cheese-Whiz mixed with tomato paste sauce, butter on the crust, and kosher salt sprinkled on it.

:barf:

Now I have nothing left to look forward to. Thanks!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Tusen Takk posted:

Anybody know what the best way of finding lost music is? For some reason I have 20gb of music hiding somewhere on my mac.

I suspect that I somehow didn't hit move to trash after deleting a bunch of music from iTunes but that doesn't seem like something that I would do

Use Disk Inventory X to try and find the biggest files in a nice way, but otherwise I'd try and rig something up from the command line with the find command (or even use Spotlight, if you're willing to delve into its odd syntax).

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

I'm not authorized to return to work for a week thanks to a rather large script for benzos (with refills :stare: ), so I'm gonna use the downtime (once I get some more energy) to do some job hunting.
Lemme know if you need some resume help.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

keykey posted:

The Evil Within should just be called You're hosed. Also, Borderlands the pre whatever should just be called play as Claptrap, you'll thank us later.

Alien Isolation should be called AAAAAAA AAAAAA AAAAAAA AAAAAAAA: Just Kidding We Know You're Only Scared The First Time This Game Is Pretty Unfair Sometimes (Check Your loving Motion Tracker More, rear end in a top hat Special Edition)

I want to like it more, stop being mean to me game :(

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
The S40 is a DOHC so it's an interference motor. In an interference motor, the valve and the piston occupy the same space at different times (the valve comes far enough down and the piston comes far enough up that they could potentially meet). Usually the valve comes down, poops some fuel and air into the cylinder, and then gets the gently caress out before the piston comes up to compress that fuel and air.

In this case, the timing belt broke, which failed to drive the cam that the valve depends on, so a valve was still hanging down when the piston came up.

This means that at least one valve is probably bent from striking the top of the piston. You'd need to put new valves in the head or (ideally) just replace it with a head from a wrecker. Then you'd have to re-time it, and probably fix all the timing set bits while you're at it.

The more pressing concern is that if you're dealing with someone who didn't have the money or knowledge to replace a timing belt there are probably other things they ignored.

Check car-part to see what a replacement head will cost. You will learn a lot about cars extremely quickly, but not in a way I would ever recommend doing with your own money and time.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 18, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

Or we could go full on Rube Goldberg here. Epoxy it to the bottom of a cinderblock, tie a rope to the cinderblock, go driving with the dogtag side down while holding the rope.

Are dogtags stainless steel or mild? Just put it on the bottom of your car and drive around for a winter.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
A lock is completely useless installed there.

It doesn't do a hell of a lot more stringing it through two boards, but hnnngh.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

goatse guy posted:

I can only start so many conversations with, "Hi, how are you doing today?" or some variant of that, and every dude between 26 and 36 seems to have an opinion on Batman.

Guaranteed conversation starters:

"Do you have any identifying marks?"
"I can get you money for that disfiguration"
"I'm conducting an anonymous survey and have some questions"
"Are you fat?"
"Dad?"

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

freelop posted:

It was powerful enough to rip through the notes left on the fridge and dent the door.

So that's why my fridge has a BB-sized high speed impact dent in it from the PO.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

CharlesM posted:

I saw a voter guide recently and one of the candidate's statements ended with an @aol.com email address. Yeah...

I was eating something the other day and looked at the box and it had a @hotmail.com address. Almost didn't finish it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I used to be the world's biggest adherent of PB blaster but I've had a few jobs now where I've gotten Deep Creep to foam up just right and it soaks in without dripping out everywhere.

Now I buy both at the store, but I tend to use a lot more PB than Seafoam DC.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 21, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Hicksville is a real place?

it's a pretty nice lookin' example. Hopefully not too many rust surprises, or at least not more than are normal for an old Saab sports coupe.

That air intake box is weird as hell.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

angryhampster posted:

We were given a deep fryer as a wedding gift. We loved that goddamn thing. We fried everything. Potatoes, chicken, pork, cheese, okra, whatever. This was for about six months, and then we realized the steam from the fryer had left a thin film of oil all over our kitchen. We were so grossed out that we tossed it.

This is why I had to replace my hood fan vent in my kitchen when I moved in. Previous owners apparently liked to make a lotta stirfries with a lotta oil, and the vent piping looked like one of those cautionary commercials about cholesterol where they squeeze it out of a heart valve.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

goatse guy posted:

My date for tonight showed up in a 1989 560SEL with 29k miles on it.

Real ballers would show up in a 560SEC AMG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2wN0nL5zQA

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

I think this is the last 3 cylinder car we got in the US. And it could still be optioned with a 4 cylinder.
The American consumer has quite a few choices for 3-cylinder engines now:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

Except we didn't get the GOOD engine for the Smart: The three cylinder Turbodiesel

I live in Canada, where we got that engine (and the Brabus Smart turbo gas engine as well). There is no good engine for the Smart Fortwo.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Phone posted:

Would anyone be interested in a Chump build out thread/general "this is what's going on in Phone's life" thread? The Miata is on the back burner because I don't particularly want to blow like another 10k on it (whenever the current motor gives up the ghost, I'm K swapping it, but that's a bit far out).
C'mon, let's get some more Phone content in here.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Sorry, I refuse to hate on a Pininfarina car dedicated to Paolo's dead dad.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
There are some real nightmare maintenance items on the latest Caravans though. Trying to do anything with the rear heater core or EGR is an unbearable cavalcade of misery.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

goatse guy posted:

I'll let you guys know what name he decides on.

"Bring the dog"

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Depending on how the phone was waterlogged I've been able to save them to varying degrees (water skiing yes, full immersion no). The rice trick has never ever worked for me, though.

I think that's one of those 'one old weird tricks' that persist in the cultural memory despite being at best placebo effect.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Viggen posted:

That is the single thing that made YOSPOS worthwhile.
What ever happened with that?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Viggen posted:

oh god no pictures please we dont need csb doxx'd.

If you say his name three times fast into a mirror on Halloween night...

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I'm going to fill their aiss gift full of relays, random poo poo, and maybe some kind of beer. Or something cool. I can't wait!

Man that'd be great. Just a big ol box full of junkyard poo poo.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
One of my coworkers dressed up today as Santa Claus. I think it'd be hilarious to set up the front end of your house as Santa's Village, and have elf helpers walk the kids through a giant queue to tell Santa what they want for Christmas.

As they progress through the queue, it has a Disney-style twist back and forth so they can't really see where they're going to end up, and the decor gets more and more run down as it approaches its terminus.

At the end they round a corner and inside a darkened room lit only by ambient backflash from lights shining through the house's window is a gaunt, bruised Santa sitting atop a throne of skulls.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'm a good Halloween DINK in that I buy full size chocolate bars for the kids.

Enjoy your childhoods, you little shits! Don't be in a hurry to get a job!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

the spyder posted:

I was offered my dream job this week. It's going to mean no time for cars for a bit, but I can't turn it down. I'm not sure I will ever get a opportunity like this again. The next few weeks are going to be interesting. Also, no new car yet :(. I'm tempted to look at a 08 Mazda 3 GT Hatchback. It's a 5spd, and it's cheap. ~28MPG and up to 36MPG Freeway.

Good job dude, I hope it turns out well for you. Get an XJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Hahaha those idiots were still using concentric/internal slaves when your car was made?

$20 part, $1000/10 hour service. It is a great thing.

The same Getrag (as M94 and M86) was used in a poo poo ton of Delta-platform cars (Ion, G5/Pursuit/Cobalt, HHR, Vue, Astra/Vectra/Tigra/Zafira) long after the Cavalier was laid to rest. I wouldn't be surprised if it's still in a bunch of other Chevy small cars even now.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 1, 2014

• Locked thread