Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

You're going to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Hey I guess this means someone needs to wake up Green Day.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

You did actually check that they were gapped correctly, yes?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I was at an air show yesterday. Got horribly sunburned, and now today I've got like... deep muscle aches in my arms (which got the worst of it). I also slept for like 14 hours.

How hosed am I?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

iwentdoodie posted:

Miramar?

Either way, you're hosed. Get some straitch and try to not kill yourself while bathing in aloe.

Melbourne, actually. First annual airshow at the international airport (which was still active; they stopped the show periodically to let a smattering of commercial flights land/take off). Thunderbirds performed, and there were some other great aerobatic acts, but the static displays were... well, Grumman was the main sponsor, what awesome new poo poo do they really have aside from the Global Hawk? Miramar looks like it had better poo poo, but that's another few hours away on top of the ~70 minutes each way I already drove. Still, had a good time with my dad.

Anyway I've felt drained as gently caress all day, even with aloe application. I should probably get some more sleep at this point.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Go dammit my mom is playing sound files from her old windows ME folder (including AOL notifications) at max volume and giggling like a loon please send help

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

WOO BOMBED THE gently caress OUT OF MY CALC TEST

IM GONNA FLUNK THIS DEGREE AND LIVE UP TO MY PARENTS' EXPECTATIONS OF DISAPPOINTMENT

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

No see the point was they expect me to fail and I want to go gently caress YOU MOM AND DAD and live a life of glory regardless but i seem to be proving them right.

Barely made it home without snapping and just driving at 12/10ths all the way to loving daytona or wherever I was so pissed at myself. I'm better now, but... man, gently caress. I loving hate when I know something, but I can't loving recall it when it actually matters.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah, it's one test, I know, and this professor does 1 makeup exam per semester so I can re-do it later. Just... I seem to get chains of "poo poo going well" going, and then when they break I just get pissed off to an unhealthy degree, like all the good didn't count. It's a loving head problem, I've been dealing with it all my life.

Plus, y'know, I'm 26 and still 3 years away from a bachelor's, still unemployed, still don't have my own place (for gently caress's sake, even the car is still in my mom's name, if only because insurance is cheaper that way) and it loving gets to me, and no amount of "poo poo's that bad for everyone you're not alone" ever seems to penetrate and I just end up pissed off that I'm doing so poorly.

gently caress what I wouldn't give for about an ounce of pot right now if I hadn't quite forever six years ago.

Edit: ignore me i'm just venting some pent-up frustration. I'll be better once i eat. and get some sleep.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 10, 2014

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

^gently caress's sake man, get rest and drink copious amounts of water.

The full list of "things I care about having a house for" begins and ends with "a garage". If I didn't care about working on my own poo poo (or had the money to toss it to the shop and say "fix it" and drive a rental for a week) nothing about homeownership would appeal to me at all.

And my "old new money" mom is still gently pushing me toward real estate as an "investment". Like she wants to spend $100k we don't have (with me cosigning on the loan of course) to buy this shitbox little house near here whose only redeeming feature is being next to a Sunrail station that A) saves no time vs driving to my current school, and B) doesn't run anywhere near UCF where I'll be doing my bachelor's starting next fall. But "IT BUILDS EQUITY AND NET WORTH!"

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Elmnt80 posted:

Just had a family member buy a mower off someone and got told I needed to fix it and that "The person I bought it from said it only needs a spark plug!". I had a sneaking suspicion that just from the condition it was in, the problem wasn't just a bad spark plug. Said gently caress it, swapped a new spark plug into it just for fun. Guess which one of us was right and now gets to make the piece of junk work with a budget of $0? :haw:

Tell them to get hosed, you didn't agree to fixing it beforehand. Charge them full shop rate plus inconvenience fee for presuming your time.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tusen Takk posted:

words

cursedshitbox posted:

Kid, You're alright.

This is not the AI I have known.

(j/k TT, you make a good point.)

Rhyno, I've got twin younger sisters, and for years I had to put up with friends/classmates asking "Are they hot? Can I ask them out lol?". For years I got all pissed at them talking about my sisters that way, until I realized: Nothing I said or did really changed anything for better or worse. Once I started just replying with "You wanna date them? Ask them yourself", things pretty much started sorting themselves out with zero stress on my end. They, like your sister, are grown rear end women, and they can handle themselves just fine; ask any woman, they probably get hit on by just about every male they encounter at one point or another, they're used to it.

Plus, what's better, causing friction with your friends by trying to dictate their interaction with a third party (which may or may not work), or letting them crash and burn on their own and then laughing in their face about it as you share a beer later?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

You'd think 2 years later they'd make a battery for the galaxy S3 with higher capacity than the original, but I guess battery tech doesn't improve that quickly especially when the manufacturers just want you to buy a new one.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

InitialDave posted:

I just had a guy break down outside my house. He rang my doorbell asking for a number for a taxi.

He got a diagnosis of his overheating E46, an estimated cost, and garage recommendation to go with it.

:feelsgood:

I came home one day to find a Wrangler parked in front of my house with the owner pouring a water bottle in the radiator. Dragged my hose out and filled it up; drat thing was nearly empty, and it was hissing steam as I filled it up, probably put like 2 full gallons in. :ohdear: Told them to take it to a shop if it overheated again to check for leaks (which I didn't see any, but it could have been a heater core or something), but OTOH it was a 4.0 so it'd probably run for years bone-dry.

I've seen those extended phone batteries, nice but a lot more expensive than stock battery, and I don't feel like bulking my phone up that much. Stock battery life was fine for me anyway, it's just so worn out that I get maybe a couple hours out of it off the charger at the moment; it's not even draining normally, the screen will just flicker and the phone dies at like 25% indicated charge, then if I let it sit and turn it back on it'll read like 40%. Just needs replaced, I just thought they'd make a higher-capacity one in the stock size by now. (plus I think I'm up for renewal around February so I just need something to hold me over til then.)

And yeah, the biggest threat from Ebola in the US is people fearing high premiums and staying home/not getting diagnosed. Chances are pretty good at the hospital if it's caught early enough (or so it seems), but most people won't get that far.

E:

Rhyno posted:

He's been a pretty chill dude for a while now. Unless I missed something while I was gone.

Honestly it's mostly inertia from his first impression, that takes a while to wear off.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

CommieGIR posted:

....I mean no offense, but you want a larger capacity battery without paying more than your stock capacity battery?

Then no, you won't find a higher capacity battery than what you already have, because of COURSE you have to pay more for more cells.

But it's only $40 bucks for a triple capacity battery than your stock one.

Not so much the price itself, I'd pay that much for a battery if it were the stock size.

E: And like I said I'm getting a new phone in a few months so why not save a few bucks now and get a big battery for that when the time comes?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The CDC labs that research this poo poo are off the scale for safety. Full-body positive pressure hazmat suits with external air supply, with anti-pathogen showers both before suiting up, and before and after removing the suit (once for the suit, once for the body after the suit's off). Wouldn't surprise me if all ventilation went through high-power germicidal lamps, too. I specifically remember one bit about how, when studying brain tissue from test animals, they used scalpels and essentially giant crab-crackers to break the skull open, because the spray of infected tissues from using a bone saw would be too great a safety hazard.

I doubt there's more than a handful of hospitals nationwide that are equipped that well for research, nevermind caring for affected patients. I'm less than surprised that health workers are starting to get infected.

They really do need to call in the big guns for this one.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

T1g4h posted:

Seriously, it's worth a watch just for how cheesy and ridiculous it is.

The entire series, summarized.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

cursedshitbox posted:

E: new avatar? Hahahahahahahahaaaaaa

That is loving perfect.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

bandman posted:

I just spent 3 hours reading about this whole GamerGate farce, trying to understand the motivations behind it and what exactly their goal is, and all I learned was that there are a shitload of emotionally-stunted man-children who all need to be given wedgies.

ugh these loving FEMINAZIS are so IMMATURE AND EMOTIONAL

*calls in threat of mass shooting at feminist lecture*

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

leica posted:

I'm kind of afraid to ask, but what the gently caress is game gate.

A filthy whore female game designer allegedly slept with a reviewer to get a better review (which I'm fairly certain turned out to be bullshit, but that's almost irrelevant now). This got the ~%~gamer community~%~ all up in arms, so they started pushing in social media for fair, unbiased video game reviews, untainted by outside sources.

They did this by loving up any and every reviewer who dared criticize misogynistic elements of games, or bring up equality in any way, and by sending death threats to Sarkeesian and others, and by wishing rape upon many female designers and reviewers.

You know. For unbiased reporting.

The "gate" is them trying to elevate this little slapfight over silly bullshit for children to the same level as one of the biggest political scandals of the 20th century. Without a trace of irony they use this term, "gamergate".

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'll drink whatever drip coffee is present if it's offered, but I really want to get an aeropress one of these days.

Best coffee I've ever had was in Detroit last May. My sisters and I went to this place that actually roasts the beans to order, then grinds them and brews them as you wait. Not even the slightest chance for the aromatic oils and such to go rancid. That first sip was heaven.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

N is for Nipples posted:

Maybe he's trying the Craigslist thing where he starts with some tiny thing and swaps things for better and better things.

You can go pretty far with that. http://oneredpaperclip.blogspot.com/

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

meatpimp posted:

You are actually using the standard snapchat client that doesn't save/archive? Hrmph.

Sensible considering the recent leak involving the third-party apps to which you refer.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tusen Takk posted:

Which one is it?! My wife's best friend works at Great Lakes Coffee and one of my friends works at Urban Bean Co. (both are really good and I don't really even like coffee).

Neither, it was the Roasting Plant (had to look it up). It's right by Lafayette/American Coney Island, which we went downtown specifically for (both of which were underwhelming imo, I prefer my hot dogs grilled), then decided to get coffee after and it was right there. I'm sure they're all great, though; fresh roasted is where it's at.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

blk posted:

I have an engraved medical dog tag I need to destroy because it has my SSN and some other particulars on it. I tried hand filing but it's such a small tag that it's hard to hold and work on at the same time. Don't have a Dremel or other power tool that can sand. How would you destroy something like this with household items?

I recommend dissolution, concentrated hydrochloric acid ought to do the trick nicely. :getin:

Or if it's aluminum, some gallium or mercury will diffuse into it and make it crumble like wet clay.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I still have my original aol address that lil babby fucknag made in 1996. :corsair:

It's pure inertia at this point, just can't be assed to pick a memorable address on gmail or whatever.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Cat Terrist posted:

Viggen's new AV makes me physically ill to view.

I mean I don't like Saabs either, but that's a little strong, yeah?

(whatever it was I missed it)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Solved my computer's periodic overheating it's been doing the last few days, apparently the heat sink screws vibrated slightly loose.

So what sort of loctite should I be using for these? Blue might work, but I might go with red since it's a heated application. :v:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tusen Takk posted:

I've been trying to figure out why my comp is suddenly lagging like a bitch in BF4 and now that you mention this I just realised it's probably due to be dusted.

:v:

Get GPU-Z and check your card temps. I figured out something was wrong when one sensor was 30 degrees C higher than the other two, and when I pushed the heat sink/fan down (up, actually, but w/e) onto the card the sensor reading shot up to 104 and the fan kicked to max speed. :v:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

NitroSpazzz posted:

I'm guessing alcohol is similar.

Nah, alcohol is enough of a diuretic that you piss out significantly more than you consume, about 60% more according to this:

quote:

So if you drink 200 millilitres of beer, the end result is 200 millilitres of water. But you don't urinate just 200 millilitres of urine. No! You urinate a total of about 320 millilitres of urine.

So in general, each shot of alcohol makes you urinate an extra 120 millilitres of urine on top of your normal urine output.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Forgive me AI for I have sinned; my friend stopped by with his '79 Lil Red Express and I covet the poo poo out of it.

That ain't a sin, that's just plain reasonable.

Or to quote George Carlin, "'Coveting thy neighbor's goods' is what keeps the economy going!"

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Liquid Communism posted:

Well, I know I'm working on the XJ when I bust out the sledgehammer.

drat rear wheels aren't breaking bond with the drums. Time for a love tap or two.

Just rust, or is there a groove in the drum?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tusen Takk posted:

Yup! I got married in June. Fun fact is that it was a double-wedding since my wife is an identical twin and my brother-in-law is my best friend.

I don't think I announced it in here or anything and I've only really started posting/lurking in AI again in the last month or two, plus I only have Sean/STR on facebook :v:

Motherfucker I have you on there, how DARE you!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

You'll never see those in Orlando because all the goons (or at least AI goons) around here are broke or nearly so, and there's fuckall to do anyway.

Yes, I'm saying I'd rather live in Wisconsin.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Finally got off my rear end and submitted my first proper job application since quitting Sears last November.

It's been 11 months.

I am not good at jobs.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

angryhampster posted:

That's how you have so much time to win sheep games

"win"

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

God dammit just found out that Judas Priest is in town tomorrow. Not only am I still broke, but I've got class til like 10. :mad:

And this is probably their last tour, too. :negative:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Man first I miss the Judas Priest show because of class tonight, now I find out some friends are going to Rifftrax tomorrow and I'm gonna miss that too. :saddowns:

why must i be so committed to a stable career or whatever

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Staying home , playing war thunder and drinking expensive beer while my mom handles candy duty because she can stand kids unlike me

true hellaween spirit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

CreppyMonkey posted:

so what's erryone drinkin' on this spooky night?

(drunkposting now permitted in this thread)

Finished my Gulden Draak and im working thtough a bottle of sam adams tetravis

good poo poo

and like.. snickers now that the trick or treaters have died off

E oh yeah did a couple shots to ifnish off my last bottle of wild turkey

• Locked thread