Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Seriously, September was depressing. Step up your game, guys. Also, everyone buy an ACVW, so we can enjoy the pain as a group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Then I die like viggen: slowly through probations, then resurrected with money. NO MODS NO MASTERS

Also, turns out my USAA card has a weird credit score monitoring bullshit charge of $30 pending, with a $1 charge I didn't notice go through on the 25th. Because of this, I can't pay rent. Have to deal with that in the morning, but fukken sucks. Whoever you are at OTL Scoresense, gently caress you.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Funny thing is, I have never tried a site like that (though I've stopped others, like my parents, from making that mistake for years), and my USAA card is exclusively for money to get diverted from my paycheck to, then withdrawn for rent at a wells fargo bank. Except a few times I used it with Amazon and retail purchases, but the last non-rent use was well over two years ago (maybe a home depot a long time ago, but I doubt it). Probably why they never notified me of any compromise. Either way, I'm out enough for rent, and probably won't have it for a week at least, and rent is due tomorrow. Yay.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I thought it was Windows 9? 7 8 9?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
So, I did what was probably a stupid thing, but I got super lucky. I installed an electronic ignition (compu fire) in the beetle, and then, without testing it, I installed a brand new carburetor. Then I turned the key, and the fucker fired right up. Only adjustment I had to do was take the throttle spring from the old carburetor off and put it on the new one, as the new carburetor's throttle spring was way, way too tight, and made the pedal quite difficult to push down. The throttle was also quite notchy with the high spring tension. Other than that (and bench-adjusting the air and fuel bleed/idle screws, as you should always do), the car is running very nice.

I also got a cooler master storm quickfire xt keyboard with cherry mx green switches in it, and it's a loving beauty to type on. Like an IBM model M, but slightly less noisy. Went from an average of 85wpm to 100 or so after a quick 20 minute adjustment period. I know that it's no STR with his 120wpm hyperspeed typing, but I'm still really happy about it.

Anybody want to buy a working, if ugly, Solex h30/31 pict carburetor? Or some beetle bumpers and bumper mounts, or elephant's foot taillights?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Tusen Takk posted:

So I've been fighting off a cold for the last two weeks and yesterday I finally started feeling better

...until 2pm when I broke out into a sweat and my joints started aching. By the time I got home from work at 5pm I had a temperature of 103F. Slept from 5:30pm till 4am when I woke up from a panic attack and apparently the fever breaking and it was down to 99.9F, so I go into work today and end up having to leave two hours into the shift because it went back up to 101F and I didn't want to get anybody sick.

:gonk:

You shouldn't have gone to work in the first place. :shrek:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Tusen Takk posted:

If you don't go to work, you get 1 point. If you go to work but leave early, you get half a point. Once you get three points, you get a write-up.

Plus I really need the money so I was hoping I'd be able to finish the 8 hour shift, especially since the fever broke and that usually means it's over and done with. I didn't anticipate getting another fever :/
As a healthcare worker, I kind of want to strangle you.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Cage posted:

As a healthcare worker, that's kind of a weird thing to do!

As a healthcare worker, you'd want to, too.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
ACVW is love, ACVW is life.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Hahahahahaha.

My roommate just got home and yelled, "Yo my aunt just made this bomb rear end apple crisp pie for us!" and proceeded to drop it on the carpet. loving dying right now.

On a scale from sober to fireball, where are you right now?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

MrChips posted:

So you bought Spacebase DF-9 too, huh?

Not loving trusting DoubleFine for a long, long time. gently caress those guys.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
103 is dangerously high, especially considering household thermometers tend to read either 2 degrees high or low, and that's a dangerous bet to make with your health. I know you said you already are, but if in your fever-dream state you pick up your phone and hit Something.apk and somehow navigate to this thread through a semi-lucid haze, and haven't gone yet, go to the hospital.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

I can't drink, my hobbies are too expensive :confuoot:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

With its territory marked, the wild Super Beetle strikes out in search for its favorite prey, dollars.

God drat you, SSS. So true.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Snapchat is the worst written app, especially for people that used to work on Android itself. For shame.

In other news, I discovered something about Massachusetts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvUMV1N7eGM

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Just "competed" for an Avondale PD position. Three slots, 177 people showed up, including more than 30 lateral (already or already qualified for LEO) applicants. I passed both the physical and written exams and have an oral board on the 29th, but overall it was :stonk: and I think my chances of getting the position are :gonk:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

CharlesM posted:

It's probably for the better. If you have any amount of empathy or compassion I imagine being a cop is one of the more stressful things you can do. You probably already know this, but some departments won't hire if you score too well on your exams, too.

Yeah, I'm aware, but I want to be a good cop, if there is such a thing. I mean, I love helping patients and dealing with crazies as an EMT, but the pay is piss poor.

Devyl posted:

After 5 years, she said she needs to have her own space for a while. She's been gone for 5 days now. I hate this because I know how it ends 99.99% of the time.

:sigh:

Holy poo poo.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

BraveUlysses posted:

Get some tupperware, who does this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-0TEJMJOhk

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Foil vs Tupperware seems to be a
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwvlbJ0h35A

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Speaking of home depot, The Equalizer was a bad film.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I swear that they sell that exact thing in Albertsons...

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Guys.

Guys...

GUYS!

gently caress cork gaskets.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

I will do everything I can to never have to touch a cork gasket again.

I was doing my first valve adjustments on the Beetle (every 3 to 6k miles, I hit 4k and decided it was time). On the passenger side, the gasket had been leaking onto the heater box, causing a huge oily mess, and was glued down with copper RTV. On the driver's side, the gasket was baked dry, and came off in very tiny cork chunks, only with the assistance of a gasket scraper (read: really big flathead screwdriver). I also discovered that while the passenger side head is OG, the driver's side head is a Brazilian remake, and the valves were tighter than my budget. :sigh:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

Geirskogul, since the ACVW engine is about as common as the SBC, I've got to imagine there are rubber gaskets out there for it.

Oh, I bought rubber replacements, and used some Permatex High-Tack on both sides of them (thin, thin coating) when installing. I've never used The Right Stuff, but I do love me some high-tack when used with appropriately-thick rubber gaskets. I am thinking about bolt-on covers in the future, though.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Pham Nuwen posted:

The . should be ignored, IIRC it is supposed to be exactly the same as firstlast@gmail.com

I bet it's for somebody like an "Alex Smith" who didn't get firstlast or first.last (or, as you said, f.i.r.s.t.last because the . doesn't matter) and instead had to put a number or letter in there that gets his email entered incorrectly by HR or something. alexssmith vs alexsmith vs alexsmith87 vs alexsmith88, etc. I got lucky and got my first.last, but my name is not too common, so I've never gotten spam like that. My friend who also got first.last has an fairly common name, though, so I wonder if get gets junk like that.

cursedshitbox posted:

Yay another sinus infection. third one in a year, what the hell.

Good news is, hydraulic pump is working perfectly, and I caught it before it migrated to the lungs.
The way this is written, I'm not entirely sure whether you're talking about your car, or your face. Sinus -> Air filter, lungs -> turbo, infection -> dust storm? Or hydraulic pump -> neti pot?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Mat_Drinks posted:

Agreed. It's fun. But I also thought the Green Lantern movie was fun (albeit it with horribly low expectations) :shrug:

You monster.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Cat Terrist posted:

TT becomes a reasonable poster and now reveals he knows how to cook a steak properly.

What the gently caress is going on

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Bucephalus posted:

You have a life outside the forums, it's none of my business

:unsmith: There is hope.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Welp, almost lost the car (and/or my life today) to a bunch of drunk people. After this video ends, I confronted the three people in the car about it at a gas station (two hispanic women, one very very fat hispanic guy). They were apologetic at first, but the moment I said "are you drunk? I smell alcohol." all three of them nearly dove into the Explorer and loving bolted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiFToEn4IZs

For the record, I was going 35-39 in a 40 zone, and they were stopped in a left-turn-only lane on the other side of the light rail.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

some texas redneck posted:

I would have called the cops and followed at a (safe) distance until they showed up. Goddamn, you just barely missed them too.

I called the cops, gave complete descriptions of all three, the vehicle, what happened, and their direction of travel. I know the dispatcher (working in EMS has its perks, on occasion) and she got everything down. Nothing'll probably come of it, but I tried.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Why do you have an EKG lead stickered to your discharge paperwork?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I've never seen a 6 inch IV catheter, but I'm just an EMT/68W. I've seen longer (up to 3 inches or so, from the normal .5 to 1.75 inch) catheters used for ultrasound-located IVs, on rare occasions. Though I have heard of docs repurposing arterial-line kits for IVs (up to 6 inches), but I've never seen one done in person. Super-long IVs have a higher chance of going through a valve in the vein, which can be painful, and is a pain in the rear end for the tech to push through. IIRC valves in the extremities are about 5-9cm (?) apart on average. Explains why it was uncomfortable to remove.

Could have been an A-line, but you'd know, because the fluid bags would be inside another bag with an air bladder to provide pressure, to overcome arterial pressure. Plus they wouldn't have let you anywhere near it while conscious.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Oct 28, 2014

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
But in the movie, Ultron will be created by Tony Stark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

• Locked thread