Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

rscott posted:

Reminder that the United States is the only developed country in the world that does not have legislation giving workers sick time or vacation time

are country :usa:

From a ways back: the city of Portland just put into effect this year a law that says all workers working within the city limits are required to be granted PTO, even if they're part-time or temps.

We really need to secede and join Washington and BC and form the nation of Cascadia where we can hoard all the socialized benefits and rust free cars to ourselves. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

Intel does make good stuff, and my i7 in my laptop is awesome, but my AMDs are still my favorite machines.

VW avatar? Check.
Still thinks AMD has made any remotely competitive chips in the past decade? Check.
Hating on Slot 1 Celerons for no good reason? Check.

It's like a posting trifecta of blind brand loyalty, masochism, and willful ignorance. :allears:

CommieGIR posted:

Manual or GTFO for me.

This is one thing you did get right though. :hfive:

Fo3 posted:

Ha, I jumped to AMD as soon as the athlon skt A came out (900, 1700+, 2600+, the skt 939 with the 4400+), my current desktop is a now very dated 1090T.
The old celerons/pentiums were just a toy I played with as AMD were poo poo with the k6.
The only intel CPUs I still use are laptops.

Key word, were. AMD hasn't been competitive in CPUs (desktop or mobile) for the better part of a decade now, and anyone saying otherwise is straight up delusional. AMD's latest and greatest current 220w-sucking desktop chips are often outperformed by cheaper, lower wattage 35w intel ultrabook chips. The roles are well reversed from the glory days of the Athlon and shitshow of the P4.

I used mostly AMDs from the original K6 (pre -2 era) up until well into the Athlon XP years and those were great chips in the day (and spanked the poo poo out of the garbage intel was making during the P4 era), but it's time to face it - they're a lot like 90's GM: used to be great a couple generations ago, but only really manage to scrape a few sales to prolong their death from the few people who buy solely on brand loyalty, mostly from people who've never bothered to read a review or do comparison shopping or who buy solely on price with no other considerations given.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Still have a soft spot for the old 300A. The last pre-built desktop we'd ever bought was a Pentium II 350, and shortly afterwards my dad decided he wanted to have a second desktop and heard how cheap / easy it was to put together something with the 300A and an Abit BH6. Put it together for about 1/4 of the cost of the prebuilt box and when we finished overclocking both of them, they ran neck and neck in any benchmark you'd throw at them.

I had that exact same combo for many years (300a + BH6). The BH6 finally popped a cap and stop working eventually though; it was a sad day.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

I'm going to say this in the politest way possible:

gently caress. Off.

You are literally the most offensive and vile person I have met in AI, and there still is no good reason for it.

Where the hell do you get off? I know AMD isn't the strongest competitor, but my brand loyalty due to their being more Open Source friendly is none of your buisness, nor does the fact that I like VW products say anything about me. At all. I like their products, and as an adult I can do what I damned well please, and you can take your smug elitism and get the gently caress out.

Sit down a second.

Take a deep breath.

Do you have a drink handy? Take a good swallow, let it run down your throat. Relax a second.

Repeat after me: "It's just the internet, and nobody insulted my mother. I should probably stop getting so upset over a things I read on the internet, lest I go foaming-at-the-mouth-angry over some lighthearted ribbing or an onion article or something else trivial and meaningless. Things people say about me on the internet are easily ignorable, and when I start to get mad I should probably step away from the keyboard and go do something productive like work on my car until I calm down."

Now don't you feel a little better?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

meatpimp posted:

Indicative of a mod with a profound, long-term butthurtedness that would be better served with therapy.

Seriouspost edit: TT becoming a semi-reasonable poster, meatpimp being on Adiabatic's side in a probation issue... what is this world coming to? :ohdear:

The kind of world where we all realize that no matter how much poo poo we give each other, we're all friends who would share a drink together* and we're better than the rest of the internet.

*digestive tract problems and addiction treatment medications notwithstanding

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Nidhg00670000 posted:

The whole concept of superhero movies is so loving boring and uninspired.

EDIT: Slight correction; the concept as used in every superhero movies I've ever seen, at least.

Whether you find them entertaining or not entirely depends on whether you're the kind of person who expects/wants some kind of deeper subtext or message in your entertainment, or whether you're content to just shut your brain off and be entertained. Some people relax and unwind and try to forget about the stress of the workweek by pounding drinks at a bar while watching a ball game, others go watch a couple guys in spandex pound the crap out of each other (MMA/wrestling/etc), and other people want to watch a couple guys in spandex pound the crap out of each other with more special effects. All of them are valid forms of mindless distraction.

The underlying concept of a superhero is a very old one though and has little to do with movies or comics themselves, and owes a lot more to stories of Gilgamesh and Hercules and Cu Chulainn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Super Aggro Crag posted:

One of my old neighbors wants me t go bar hopping with her and her BF. I suppose I could throw all my work clothes on and go as Bob the Builder.

I did this a couple years ago - threw on a hard hat, safety vest, and a logoed city utility worker jacket from a job I'd worked at earlier in the year, added a cheap belt tool pouch with a flashlight and some random tools stuck in it, and went as a utility worker for Halloween.

Everyone kept saying how awesome my costume was and how I'd put so much work into it. :effort:

• Locked thread