Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

Also, everyone eat some rancid turkey, so we can enjoy the pain as a group.

:dings:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

Sup dude.

No mods no masters? Did IOC murder/suicide after that wackjob asked a shop for a quote on restoring the ranger he was/is selling or something? :ohdear:

I was asleep, and I didn't feel like changing the thread title to "STR STOP EATING RANCID TURKEY".

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yeah, I don't think you can run DD-WRT on any of the outsourced cost-cutting WRT54Gs (v4 and above?)

They don't have enough RAM even for the micro versions. Please proceed to mail the router back to Linksys, COD, with a brick in the box.

I got DD-WRT micro running on what I think was a v5 at one point. I never used it as anything more than a wireless client bridge but it worked alright when my network was all 802.11g.

With all that said, these days anything with "Linksys" on the box (any era - pre-Cisco, Cisco-owned, or Netgear-owned) isn't worth the poo poo it's made of. I've got a LAPN600 "business" wireless access point where the 2.4GHz radio has poo poo the bed, and even when it worked my Western Digital AC1300 (again, acting just as an access point) outperformed it. It's actually kind of a shame WD's networking biz didn't take off because I've got two of those AC1300s and they were a screaming deal for the performance. Not as much range as the current crop of $200 AC routers, but at short distances the performance is the same and I got them for about $80 each.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BrokenKnucklez posted:

You know that might not be a bad unit.

I sing their praises any time I can in the Networking thread in SH/SC - I've got a bridge set up using some Ubiquiti Nanostation Loco M5s and even though both endpoints are in far from ideal locations, it's a solid 150Mbps link that I seriously have not had to touch once in the year+ since I set it up the first time.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cage posted:

Tbh I miss sigtrap, I want to read more about his aston martin.

If you had an Aston, would you spend the day posting about it, or driving it?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

the spyder posted:

Costco batteries = Interstate batteries. Both are made in the same factory/assembly line with the same quality of internals. At least per my neighbor who works for our local Johnson Controls battery plant.

It's not like they even brand them differently. The last two batteries I had in the Ranger were from Costco and looked just like the Interstate from Firestone that's in my GMC. The difference is entirely Costco service and warranty policies, which are loving amazing to deal with. Aside from the GMC, I'll never buy a battery anywhere else if I can avoid it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

What you really, really want for a sunburn is Solarcaine spray with aloe. Thanks to the lidocaine in it, it's the best thing I've ever used for a sunburn.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Random good deal alert: Autozone has five quarts of Pennzoil Platinum (or Ultra) plus a Bosch oil filter for $33, plus a $10 MIR on top of it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I tell you what, Lowes and Home Depot are clearly in cahoots. Sometime in the last couple of weeks both of them bumped their closing time from 10PM to 9PM. :argh: That seal driver 2" pipe cap will have to wait for tomorrow.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

InitialDave posted:

Some of you may like the latest XKCD What If? page:

http://what-if.xkcd.com/116/

It's worth mentioning that at least once we've already found and exceeded the limits of racing drivers from sheer speed alone.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Coasterphreak posted:

If I should be asking this in SA mart let me know IOC.

Yeah, if anyone wants to actually take you up on that, take it to SAMart.

Cat Terrist posted:

Yes I regard a gas axe as a household item.

Seriously, I think our version of 'household item' might be a bit off :haw: I'd chuck it up in a vise and go after it with my not-Dremel but I consider both of those must-haves anyway.

Do you have something you can hold it in while you hammer it back and forth? Could try to use that to bend it back and forth until it breaks / repeat until no chunk is big enough to be legible. Otherwise, just hammer it forever on a rough surface.

Or we could go full on Rube Goldberg here. Epoxy it to the bottom of a cinderblock, tie a rope to the cinderblock, go driving with the dogtag side down while holding the rope.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cat Terrist posted:

Weeeeeeeeeeeell....... I guess this shows my age but I can remember when vises and gas axes WERE seen as houehold items. No self respecting garage would be without either. Having a decent toolset was a rite of passage for any male.

Now? The average garage now wouldnt even have a screwdriver.

Yep. I think my garage might be the second most well stocked one in my whole subdivision. Had a neighborhood garage sale this weekend and nearly any garage that was open was either just full of junk, or immaculately clean and empty.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

One of many signs spotted at the library:

:rolleyes:

This is up there with the people pushing Prop 122 here. The angles they're taking? "Vote Yes To Prevent Child Abuse".

What's the law actually say? Full text here but it's basically yet another stupid salvo in the pissing war between AZ and the Feds. Because somehow trying to tell the federal government to gently caress off, saves the children. :pseudo:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Christ why did I bother listing parts on Craigslist. Got a guy who keeps wondering why I don't want to meet at my house, why I want to know what parts he wants to actually buy so I can bring them, and apparently can't see the fact that every single part is photographed in the ad itself. :cripes:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

Guys.

Guys...

GUYS!

gently caress cork gaskets.

I will do everything I can to never have to touch a cork gasket again.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

meatpimp posted:

I've used "The Right Stuff" a couple times, but don't really trust it because it seems like magic. Is it really magic?

It's really magic. It was the only poo poo that would seal the end gaskets of my old SBC the first time, every time.

Geirskogul, since the ACVW engine is about as common as the SBC, I've got to imagine there are rubber gaskets out there for it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

Maybe I'm remembering backwards, and the . is supposed to be allowed but Google used to have some issue with it, meaning john.doe and johndoe would sometimes get each other's mail or some poo poo.

I definitely remember there being A Thing about periods in the local part of email addresses.

You're supposed to be able to just add a . anywhere in the Gmail username portion and have it still work. However, I've got first.last@gmail.com and someone else either must have registered firstlast@gmail.com or just doesn't realize they don't own it - because I occasionally get emails meant for someone who is very much not me, living in another state :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Anphear posted:

Downtown San Diego has heaps of homeless people. I assume this is same for most of the south west.

No body seems to indicate anywhere so far.

Concrete roads feel so broken to drive on

Lets see if the trends continue into Arizona

SoCal has way more homeless than AZ - the climate here is damned harsh in the summer.

Correct, people are allergic to turn signals here.

The broken roads are a California thing. They have gently caress-all for money relative to how many roads they have, and how many vehicle-miles get driven on those roads. You'll notice a massive increase in quality as soon as you cross the Colorado into Arizona.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You Am I posted:

Those who haven't seen this year's Bathurst 1000 live, make it your job to get your hands on a copy of it. Car race of the year

Just now got around to watching it. gently caress me that's one way to finish.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

rscott posted:

Um excuse me celeron 300As were faster than the equivalent pentium II and could easily be over clocked to 450 with a simple 66 to 100 fsb change, via never had a cpu that wasn't unmitigated garbage

Still have a soft spot for the old 300A. The last pre-built desktop we'd ever bought was a Pentium II 350, and shortly afterwards my dad decided he wanted to have a second desktop and heard how cheap / easy it was to put together something with the 300A and an Abit BH6. Put it together for about 1/4 of the cost of the prebuilt box and when we finished overclocking both of them, they ran neck and neck in any benchmark you'd throw at them.

We eventually swapped the CPUs between the two because while the 300A would do 450MHz on stock voltage (which was all the pre-built box would supply)... the PII 350 would do 466 with a couple tenths extra. 133MHz FSB on a 440BX and PC100 RAM :getin:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

Several years ago I found a large white plastic housing, 10 minutes with a dremel turned it into a helmet. Toss on a white painters jumpsuit and a black turtleneck underneath and I'm an rear end in a top hat. I've used it for the past 4 years at least.

guy in the middle

I knew it! I'm surrounded by assholes!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

What the gently caress is going on

You know, I've been thinking of trading the GMC for a nice used four cylinder Camry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Oh come on, it's at least actually a wagon and a diesel, unlike my CR-V. Also, I know there's at least one and probably two TDI Sportwagen owners here already.

• Locked thread