Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

iwentdoodie posted:

I didn't know searches could narrow down to goons.

Just set it to look for people with rust fetishes, it'll find 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Well, is what you make now big enough that you can live on half?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Well, then I'd say it depends on where you're at in your life. If you're in a position where you can afford to be poor... pffft. gently caress no. Don't do it. I died on that cross for years working in kitchens, and let me tell you what I learned.

No amount of personal satisfaction at work beats knowing the bills are paid.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Im up at strange rear end hours with work, so any one is welcome to snapchat the poo poo out of me.

In other news, Mediacom had issues with their back end systems on their network. I called up and said that my end was fine, that if I can access their local pages, that my equipment is fine and its their end. So what do they do? They gently caress with my router/cable modem and then none of my devices will connect to the router any more.

Tech support :downs: Well, you have to many devices connected to the router.
Myself :argh: I am pretty sure every thing worked fine before, it was fine until you guys reset my router or what ever.
:downs: Well, sir, 3 devices is to many
:argh: I have 5 devices on the router and it never had an issues, 2 phones, 2 tablets and 1 laptop. That should hardly give an issues seeing how theres only 2 or 3 in use at any given time.
:downs: Well, you need less devices.
:argh: Fine, just turn off the wifi, I will go find my router out of storage.
:downs: Using external routers is against the terms of service sir.
:argh: Then ill run really long extension cords. Bye

I hate not having an actual phone. Angrily pushing end call on a smart phone doesn't bring the satisfaction of slamming a phone on the receiver.

Secondly: WRTG54 - Its having a few issues with keeping connections.... Update firmware?

Used to be Tier 1 support for those guys, and I can say gently caress MEDIACOM with feeling and venom. The poor bastard on the other end of the phone was flat lying to you, though, their TOS doesn't say poo poo about external routers, just that they won't offer support for them. You can use your own cable modem/gateway too, which is why I swapped the piece of poo poo they gave me for a Netgear C3700 NAS that I had lying around.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 3, 2014

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

If none of these is Hunter S. Thompson from Where The Buffalo Roam, you are a shameful man.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

bandman posted:

I'm officiating a friend's wedding later this month and the online group I went through to get "ordained" so I can legally marry them is the Church of the Latter Day Dude. They call themselves "dudeists" and I am officially a "dudeist priest". It's a real thing (sorta...) and totally legal for the purposes of officiating a wedding. I looked at several other "groups" like the Universal Life Church, but they seem to actually take themselves a little bit seriously, so dudeists it is.

Tragically, I have been told that I can't do the wedding dressed as the Dude. I almost quit then and there, but she's one of my oldest friends so I just have to console myself by drinking all of their booze anyway.

Just set a white russian on the podium before starting your ceremonial duties. Insist it is a religious requirement.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Super Aggro Crag posted:

The one good thing about working 4 10's is that I get Fridays off now. So loving tired.

Same schedule I'm on, only I'm on grave. That Friday never works out, I almost always end up spending it asleep after 4 12's.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Terrible Robot posted:

gently caress jobs that punish you for getting sick (unless you call in an excessive amount), like that's something you really have control over.

And yeah if you are sick don't go to work, nobody wants to be around a plague-carrier.

Every time I've called in my boss was just like "ok man, hope you feel better, later"

My work's starting to lean this way too, because a few of our techs are up to a week and a half overspent on their PTO for the year already.

We get three bloody weeks. I want to strangle them, because it means I get an inquisition every time I want a day off.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Rover V8s love basic Champion plugs. Nothing like changing your plugs for a whopping 10 bucks.

My 4.0 likes to misfire on cylinder 5 unless I've got Champions in. I feel ya.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Super Aggro Crag posted:

My wallet has been hurtin and Natty Daddies are only $1.25 a pop. :)

Ezra Brooks is $10 a fifth. Gilbey's gin is $8. Have a little class man.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

gently caress. This. Place. Putting in my 2 weeks notice next time I work.

Do it.

I learned today while adjusting the serpentine on my XJ that a guy I used to cook with is in jail on $50k bond. Possession with intent to distribute and conspiracy to distribute heroin.

Not surprised at all.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Tommychu posted:

Stomach acid tends to do interesting things to fibrous materials, and the smell tends to stick around after washing.

Baking soda in the washer. Gets it right out.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Pham Nuwen posted:

Hey all you Texas rednecks, are any of you in San Antonio? Is it a total shithole or pretty decent?

Used to live there, it isn't terrible. Worst bar scene I ever dealt with, though, tons of assholes just out of military training looking to start poo poo. If you cook, HEB's Central Market down on Broadway is the loving tits.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 9, 2014

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

fingerling posted:

Never get into hospitality. It eats YOUR SOUL. Seriously though, gently caress hospitality.

e: EVER

Ask me about why I'm 33 years old with two knee surgeries and an aching lower back. Don't do it. Not even once.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

fingerling posted:

I'm pretty sure you and I work in the same industry. While not exactly hospitality, it's effectively the same 95% of the time, with the added benefit (in Australia, at least) of having a bullshit amount of screening to get, and ridiculous duties of care.

I'm 22, been doing it since I was 18 and am absolutely burned out. I feel 60, although that'a for different reasons.

Nah, I'm in a better place now. Datacenter operations tech doing breakfix and running miles of cabling for mad ducats. I spent a decade in kitchens, and that was enough to wreck me financially and physically.

Also, holy poo poo Rockauto. They managed to beat Amazon Prime for shipping speed. :catstare:

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 10, 2014

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Is it wrong for me to not give the slightest fraction of a poo poo about owning a house? I couldn't even afford a near-condemned Groverhaus of course, but I just don't care. Of course things like marriage, a """real""" career, etc are filed under "things other people experience" as well, so gently caress it. I'm making great progress on my Steam backlog and I get to work with dangerous chemicals/million dollar tools in a cleanroom, good enough.

On the topic of pizza, I've eaten undercooked frozen pizzas that tasted better than Little Caesar's (Presented By Amsoil) :barf:

Honestly, it's what keeps me in the depths of the midwest. Out here, I can afford to own a few acres outside of town eventually, and will probably end up with something like a small house or mobile home and a pole barn for all the poo poo I do.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

bandman posted:

If you don't mind me asking, how did you make that kind of career shift? Did you go back to school at some point, or did you have some sort of experience prior to working in kitchens that made you qualified for your job?

I'm trying to figure out a new career direction and while I have a degree, it isn't exactly in a really broad field (earth and atmospheric science). Environmental has kicked me in the beanbag one time too many and I'm so loving done. I know enough about computers and such that I could do basic IT-type stuff, but I have no way to prove it to a potential employer.

Worked my way up. Moved to Texas for a girl, couldn't find anything decent so I applied to Geek Squad with Best Buy. I've been working on computers as a hobby since I was a kid, so that worked out. Had a buddy who worked for a datacenter down there and got me an interview, and I rock at interviews. Other than that, just worked my rear end off. No certs, no degree, just skill and willingness to do the loving job right the first time instead of half-assing it.

The gig I have now should make my resume. After a couple years here, and getting my A+/Server+/Network+ certs up to date, I should have no problem getting datacenter work anywhere.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Just saw this on the way to the parts store.

The rest of the pictures, sadly, go in the failure thread. Previous owners! :argh:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I didn't realize how much liquor I used to drink until a homeless lady started raiding my trash for bottles and hauling off a whole garbage bag. Swittching jobs let me go cold turkey, though, and now I just have the ocasional glass of whiskey.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Tide posted:

On the surface, yeah it is.

Here the thing:
If he tells his friend, his friend may/will automatically go on the defensive and say mind your own business. Friend is now pissed. If he tells the dudes the wife, his friend will definitely be pissed because he will have shown his loyalty to dudes wife rather than him. If he tells the dudes wife and even if they reconcile the marriage, he'll still be pissed. If he doesn't say anything and friend gets caught (which he will), but it comes out he knew, the wife gets pissed. Then along with that scenario, if they reconcile, she becomes a roadblock to her and his friends relationship.

There are some things you don't get involved with, and another couples marriage is one of them. It will sort itself out in short order.

Look at it this way: hypothetically, you're married and messing around on your wife. Your buddy, who you've known however long, shows your tindr picture to your wife (whether he gave you the chance to knock it off is irrelevant). Are you really going to be happy he showed her?

Besides, she may already know, and how awkward is it going to be if you discover they're looking for a threesome?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

Goddamn, never check out of a hospital during a shift change.

So went through the paperwork. They had several of my meds wrong (wrong dosages, 1 wrong med entirely), which could have contributed to the shakiness. Still trying to figure how they did that, I brought all of my meds with me.

Then seemed shocked when I asked for a note to give my employer. Since I'm on benzos and drive for a living, they gave me a week out. Which is gonna put me 3 weeks behind on bills. Thankfully some family has stepped up and offered to pay the most important ones. :glomp:

No short term disibility? That sucks buttermilk. :smith:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Until an employee logs in and overrides your songs.

And before someone calls this out as bullshit, gently caress you. I worked in a bar for ten loving years and every internet juke box can be manually logged into and songs deleted from the playlist. The password on the machine at Peanuts in Fort Wayne Indiana was "GiantsSuck."

Yeah, when I was managing the food side of the bar and pub, we had the bartender logged in remotely from behind the bar, because gently caress if we were losing customers because some dickbag decided to play screamo or death metal for an hour and a half to be cute.

"Whoops, it reset. That happens sometimes."

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Motronic posted:

If you think sapphire is good you need to go find http://www.bluecoatgin.com/

That'd be great if they'd ship to my location. :smith: Nearest they get is Milwaukee.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Motronic posted:

Good gin isn't to be mixed with tonic, which is probably why you can't taste the difference. If it's for a G&T just use Bombay or something middle shelf. Or if you really like a good bite Beefeater (that's my go-to for gin and tonics).

Gilbey's for my G&T's. Biggest call there is don't gently caress up and use lovely tonic water that's been going to rear end in a plastic bottle on a shelf somewhere for the last two years. Get it in glass, or make it yourself.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Pham Nuwen posted:

Same, ish. I work on clusters and such, I've even mucked around on BlueGene (L and P), but my personal computers consist of:

* 4 year old desktop that I tried to build semi-decently with a 6 core AMD and (finally upgraded) 16GB of RAM. Sees a lot less use now that I'm married. Finally moved the root disk from a 200GB IDE to 500GB SATA.
* 5 year old netbook that mostly serves as my "oh poo poo, I need a Linux prompt" system when my desktop is booted to Windows; screen stays off, I just ssh in.
* 4 year old ARM netbook that I keep on the coffee table. Probably gets as much use as anything else because I can ssh to my VPS. It's a bit too wimpy to run X well, and the company seems to be out of business these days so there's no kernel updates, so I just leave it on the console.

Man, and I thought I was the only one with a wrecked old laptop set up as a headless SSH box.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Honestly, that's just because there's only two relevant chipmakers for CPU's, and all the competitors that used to make their own graphics cards are just cranking out licensed GeForce clones these days. As far as performance goes in a desktop environment, Intel pretty solidly won the war.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Well, I know I'm working on the XJ when I bust out the sledgehammer.

drat rear wheels aren't breaking bond with the drums. Time for a love tap or two.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Fucknag posted:

Just rust, or is there a groove in the drum?

Surface rust binding the steel wheel to the drum face. I live in the land of salt and woe. Came off with a couple good raps from the 8lb sledge.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Kitchen rules. If you're not working, don't dress to work, and they won't be tempted to ask.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

bandman posted:

Well, it's all done except for the lawyerin'. She asked that I collect the remainder of my things that are at the house and to start planning on how to divide joint poo poo. All this because I said that the disrespectful, condescending way she speaks to me is not OK and I asked to be spoken to like a goddamn adult. She couldn't handle me bowing up and showing a little backbone for once and hung up on me. She sent me a text requesting that I collect the remainder of my things. I told her I would see what I could do.

Not going to lie, it hurts really bad, but it's what needs to happen. It's become painfully obvious that we were not meant to share a happy marriage, and I'm done. So loving done. I thought I would be a sobbing mess when she asked me to get the rest of my poo poo out, but I haven't shed a single tear tonight. I think that's a pretty good indicator of how I really feel about the marriage.

Lawyer up first. Especially if you want custody, because you taking your poo poo and leaving can be spun against you in court. :smith:

Sorry to hbear poo poo keep sucking, man.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

bolind posted:

I've just PM'ed with him and he said he'll start up AI:SS after Halloween!

Not sure if I should go in on this. I'm already doing my traditional GWS one...

You guys like candy and alcohol, right? :D

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'm listening to these news stories and thinking, haven't they always been saying that the only people at much risk for ebola in the US are doctors & nurses who are in contact with patients? And then this nurse comes back from hanging out in Ebola Central, where she was taking care of ebola patients, and complains when told that maybe she shouldn't go back to her regular hospital practice just yet? Somebody correct me if I've misunderstood the situation.

It's not even that. They keep trying to quarantine her after she's tested negative twice. I sympathize with her being a bit pissed, god knows I couldn't afford to not work for three weeks just to make someone else's paranoia happy. That said, it'd make everyone a lot more comfortable if she'd just stay home a while.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

The Freeper thread makes up for the rest of the subforum

The Ferguson thread's pretty alright if you ignore all the pundits and just read the stuff from Neo Duckburg and other people actually in town.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I had that discussion with my management as well. The night shift universally offered to wear kilts if it meant not having to wear business casual slacks while going up and down ladders and crawling around on datacenter floors chasing cables in 110 degree heat.

We got shot down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

CreppyMonkey posted:

so what's erryone drinkin' on this spooky night?

(drunkposting now permitted in this thread)

Evan Williams over an ice cube from the only clean glass in the house. I am bachelor as gently caress tonight.

• Locked thread