Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

LingcodKilla posted:

Honest question. Why are their drug counselors if it's a zero tolerance Navy? Do they only help with legal drug misuse?

If you're determined to be addicted or dependent, you still receive treatment and care on the Navy's dime, even if you're kicked out afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Octopode posted:

If you're determined to be addicted or dependent, you still receive treatment and care on the Navy's dime, even if you're kicked out afterwards.

So, Bidencare then.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Octopode posted:

this reminds me of the guy on USS Last Ship who popped on a command-wide urinalysis after a port visit to amsterdam. he got off the boat and sought months of treatment. i'm not sure if it helped

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

So, Bidencare then.

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

I'm a semen, I mean Seaman, I haven't been a semen for 20 years.
Are the forums NMCI blocked? I've never tried.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Schlabbalabba posted:

Are the forums NMCI blocked? I've never tried.

Nope.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

How hard is it to go active duty from reserves?

The recruiter said that they can't get me to MEPs in November to DEP in because they've already got their limit for active duty for the month, and they won't promise me that they can send me in December either. However they did tell me that they can get me to meps next week for a reserve spot for CTN. So if i do this, my question is how hard is it to get transferred to active duty?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Impossible pretty much

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I used to work at a command that had reservists and for the several years I was at that command, at any given time there was like a dozen of those dudes who were failures in the real world desperately trying to get on active duty, suggesting to me that it is possible, but very difficult and based on a byzantine and arbitrary administrative quagmire of a process that makes the cost-to-benefit not worthwhile

If you're not in yet, hold out until you can get that active duty spot if you want to be active duty. I am pretty sure that if you can be a reserve CTN, though, you'd be getting the best of both worlds with regards to the school and clearance investigations and getting your certificates paid for, but also could go get a real job with all that stuff and make a boatload of money. Someone more knowledgeable about IT jobs and employment in the secret-squirrel contractor industry should advise you on that subject, though.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Honest question. Why are their drug counselors if it's a zero tolerance Navy? Do they only help with legal drug misuse?

You still get treatment if you want it. If you ever find yourself getting in an ARI and refuse treatment you are at the discretion of your command, so the CO can decide to kick you out or not. If you go to a screening and choose to go into treatment, you can go through treatment and then your CO decides if he wants to kick you out or keep you in for a second chance. Some of the dudes that go through treatment get pardoned by the CO and then if they do something again they just get booted. The counselors can make recommendations for treatment, commands can choose if they want to send someone through it but if the member wishes to go then the command says no it usually looks negative on the CO (or they hosed up really bad).

Everyone gets an offer to do treatment, and it can be either a 3-day course or several months inpatient rehab. Depends on the drug, but usually we just see alcohol and amphetamines.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Zotix posted:

How hard is it to go active duty from reserves?

The recruiter said that they can't get me to MEPs in November to DEP in because they've already got their limit for active duty for the month, and they won't promise me that they can send me in December either. However they did tell me that they can get me to meps next week for a reserve spot for CTN. So if i do this, my question is how hard is it to get transferred to active duty?

I'm not going to pretend to be a great fount of knowledge on Reserves but everyone I know says it's pretty drat hard.

It seems as though people are getting kicked out of active duty and going Reserves with the goal of going back active somehow. As a result, there's tons of competition... at least among the rates of people I deal with regularly.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
If you go CTN reserves you'll spend the 6 months in JCAC. Then you can probably drop your resume off at the NSA and easily get a job there.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Sir Lucius posted:

CO was watching my PRT today. Are you supposed to call attention on deck while in PT gear? No one did, but this was also the first time since he's been the CO ( a year and a half) that I've seen him in person. I also hear he got pissed off the other day that a watchfloor that didn't belong to him didn't call attention on deck, so idk.

He has been on a kick about it lately... A couple weeks ago some 2nd class walked right by him in the p-way and didn't say anything, and then like a week later some JG not only didn't stand when he entered the room, but didn't acknowledge him.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Sir Lucius posted:

If you go CTN reserves you'll spend the 6 months in JCAC. Then you can probably drop your resume off at the NSA and easily get a job there.

pfffttt. With what experience?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
Hey, the IT in my Reserves unit learned how to configure a router in tech school. Unfortunately, this does not help her rig cargo with chains which is far more applicable to her billet.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Vriess posted:

pfffttt. With what experience?

Sorry, I meant get a reserves job, not a civilian.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

What's the process in reporting something that's been going on and people are just sweeping it under the rug/some people higher up that know about it are avoiding bringing it up because this place is a political cesspool?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Pandasmores posted:

What's the process in reporting something that's been going on and people are just sweeping it under the rug/some people higher up that know about it are avoiding bringing it up because this place is a political cesspool?

Evan Williams.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Pandasmores posted:

Depending on what it is, use your CO's open door policy, call the fraud, waste, and abuse hotline, or call the IG's office.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Stultus Maximus posted:

Evan Williams.

Then this when all of those go nowhere.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

Evan Williams.

Would but I'm 280 days sober.

Edit: Cool, I'll see where this goes and then try to go higher up as it all goes down.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Mr. Nice! posted:

call the fraud, waste, and abuse hotline, or call the IG's office.

Honestly curious about people's experience about this or at least what they saw happen. Anyone got any stories?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
We had an Air Force IG show up at our hangar for some poo poo once and he got really mad we were wearing the wrong uniform before he realized we were A.) Not the squadron he had been assigned to review and B.) We were infact Marines. He politely apologized and said "Semper Fi" in his best grown up voice as he wished us a good day, which was ultra cringe-worthy

That was my only interaction with the IG's office

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Christoff posted:

Honestly curious about people's experience about this or at least what they saw happen. Anyone got any stories?

I called them because a senior chief was loving recruits at boot camp. Sadly the recruits he was loving didn't roll on him and he just stopped being an RDC for a bit before he was transferred.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Mr. Nice! posted:

I called them because a senior chief was loving recruits at boot camp. Sadly the recruits he was loving didn't roll on him and he just stopped being an RDC for a bit before he was transferred.

Were you a boot at the time?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Mr. Nice! posted:

or call the IG's office.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh wait...you were serious.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

seriously though, OP, pm me and I'll let you know if it's something the spineless douchebags at IG will take an honest look at.

I have many...many IG tales but I'm not drunk enough to tell them.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LingcodKilla posted:

Were you a boot at the time?

No. I was already an officer when this happened. It was a family member that was there at the time.

ActusRhesus posted:

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Check my followup post. I know that it's likely to go nowhere hence why I just said skip to booze.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Yeah...I actually made the mistake of telling an IG the truth once. Pm me if you want the sordid tale.

Also, are you a lawyer or a law student? Because if the former, we probably know each other.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Just a law student. Former SWO.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Just a law student. Former SWO.

Ah, good. My anonymity is safe. For now...

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
Don't waste your time with Fraud, Waste, and Abuse either unless it's something that will end up in GAO's lap. Which with what you do, it won't.

In fact, don't bother reporting whatever the gently caress it is, probably.

e: Because someone higher up probably already knows about it, has signed off on it, and had legal jury-rig a determination together that what they're doing is a-ok.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

krispykremessuck posted:

e: Because someone higher up probably already knows about it, has signed off on it, and had legal jury-rig a determination that whoever reports it is at fault.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

krispykremessuck posted:

Don't waste your time with Fraud, Waste, and Abuse either unless it's something that will end up in GAO's lap. Which with what you do, it won't.

In fact, don't bother reporting whatever the gently caress it is, probably.

e: Because someone higher up probably already knows about it, has signed off on it, and had legal jury-rig a determination together that what they're doing is a-ok.

If they did that with this then lol the Navy is hosed and this place deserves to be graded one of the screwed up places in the navy.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
In other news I am currently TDY at an airfoce base. I saw A-10's flying today. A-10's are rad.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Pandasmores posted:

lol the Navy is hosed

:agreed:

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Sir Lucius posted:

In other news I am currently TDY at an airfoce base. I saw A-10's flying today. A-10's are rad.

Had some F-22s Buzz my house yesterday. Followed by the blue angels buzzing the house for like 5 hours.

Followed by the trainer jets

Followed by the Lear jets of whatever big wig is in town.

This all starts at 745am. I work nights.

gently caress base housing and the flooding that made it the only available rental I could snag in time to take my dogs.

theAcidQueen
Nov 3, 2009

She'll tear, YOUR SOUL, apart!
Any SD Goons around that can share their apartment hunting advice/stories with me?

I did the classic "first time renter" thing and went for the more affordable off the bat, $1,000 a month studio rental in Downtown near 15th Street. It's not a terrible live in per se; coded locks, gates everywhere, as of the moment free wifi/cable and generally much more forgiving on my saving's account while I wait for the Navy to pay me SD BAH.

On the downside, I have discovered that the entire SD homeless population lives around this area; a fact which I can currently tolerate, but would prefer not to deal with for a long term thing.

My lease expires in January, and I think i'm going to want to move up north some, more into the Marina/Little Italy district. It's obvious that living up there as opposed to Chula Vista/somewhere farther is going to sock me at least 1700+ a month in rent, not to mention utilities.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

theAcidQueen posted:

Any SD Goons around that can share their apartment hunting advice/stories with me?

I did the classic "first time renter" thing and went for the more affordable off the bat, $1,000 a month studio rental in Downtown near 15th Street. It's not a terrible live in per se; coded locks, gates everywhere, as of the moment free wifi/cable and generally much more forgiving on my saving's account while I wait for the Navy to pay me SD BAH.

On the downside, I have discovered that the entire SD homeless population lives around this area; a fact which I can currently tolerate, but would prefer not to deal with for a long term thing.

My lease expires in January, and I think i'm going to want to move up north some, more into the Marina/Little Italy district. It's obvious that living up there as opposed to Chula Vista/somewhere farther is going to sock me at least 1700+ a month in rent, not to mention utilities.

The farther up the hill towards El Cortez you get, the less homeless there are because they can't be assed to walk up it. I lived right across the street from EC and the only interaction with vagrants I had was very early in my three years there when a dude stole my wife's bike off our porch.

The prices weren't so bad, but that was 7 years ago, and I'm not sure what your BAH is.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Six more months have been added to my time. :shrug:

Adbot