Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Laranzu posted:

How much Motrin are the HMs being directed to give out for Ebola infections?

one. that's all you need. for anything. As for more and you will get screened by DAPA as a drug seeker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Ideal Paradigm posted:

I would make sure to go to medical and have an audiogram done so that any conditions that you have are documented within that session.

When you get your electronic record, near the beginning of the record there will be two sections, one that says Chronic conditions and the other says Acute conditions. Acute conditions, as far as the VA is concerned, will usually not go into your VA disability rating (it may depend on the condition, but by definition acute is transient). Chronic conditions are the ones they care about because those are the ones that will continue to be with you for a longer period of time, perhaps the rest of your life. To my knowledge, chronic conditions are determined by your primary health care provider, which is hopefully someone with a MD.

I just put everything down and then let the VA docs decide what to do with it. You'll have an audiogram regardless, but tinnitis won't show up on that most likely. It's really a self-reporting thing. If you have it, claim it...if you don't, don't be a dick.

Also, if you have hearing loss another thing to consider is audio processing disorder. A lot of people swear up and down they can't hear, but the audiogram comes back normal. If you were exposed to any kind of explosions, you might have audio processing disorder, which technically isn't hearing loss, it's brain damage, which is why it won't show up on the audiogram, but they can set you up with a neurologist to diagnose it properly.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

My husband kept getting asked random stump the chump questions about obscure Russian ships. Joke backfired because his dad was a retired chief who had a book of obscure russian ships and he would read it periodically when he had nothing better to do as a kid.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

poopkitty posted:

The worst CMC on the planet added herself to all chits below the Dept. Head. And the XO/CO allowed it. I mean ALL. Like my DIVO's chit had to go through her. I hope to see her on Navy Times but never ever will.

Female CMC? Unllikely unless she steals money or fucks the CO. I had the world's worst dept head who pulled crap like that i had to explain to her, in very small words, that while she was free to recommend denying my leave chits, she still had to route them. She had been a flight attrite NFO for "medical reasons" which I'm pretty sure involved any of a number of obvious personality disorders she also frequently told us all she could see ghosts and had a habit of getting drunk and hitting on people our office was in the middle of prosecuting. Fun times.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

poopkitty posted:

She had the XO/CO convinced that she was the gatekeeper. She was an evil, evil, manipulative bitch.

Once I went on liberty in a foreign port with my liberty buddy. We had overnight libs, two hotel rooms, the usual. (I'm a Chief, and a woman, the only one on board at the time.) She wrote a HUGE disclaimer on my chit about "perceptions of untoward behavior" and adultery. She let us know "she'd be watching." Good, bitch. Try watching me Skype with my family inside my hotel room.

She didn't even eat in the CPO mess because she thought she was better than us. She would come in and get food and then eat in her office. She used to tell us "I am the 1%" all the time.

Yuck. People like that are awful. During IA I was the only female O on my FOB for a while. According to some air force types, eat with the pretty decent and normal female Sgt types = Unduly familiar relationship. Eat with dudes of any rank = sex. I had a lot of DFAC takeout boxes until more normal people showed up. One of these idiots, after some other females arrived literally said to one of the other females "I can't prove it but I know you are having an affair with [redacted...and she wasn't] but since I know the CO won't do anything about it, I'll be watching you, and I'll report it to AF leadership when we get back." He was a special kind of rear end in a top hat.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Ugh, that sucks. Ideally a front office will shut down stupidity like that from the CMC, but sometimes it seeps through. I've seen a similar situation but I'm glad it didn't go quite that far.

Only had one "is the CMC a retard?" experience...we got a new CMC. The community I was working in had a disproportionate number of sailors marrying admittedly hot, but crazy chicks and it ending badly. Experience taught us that the first thing that would happen after separation occurred was a phone call from the soon to be ex claiming non-support. Experience also taught us that if you blow them off, they will keep going higher and higher up the food chain until eventually Hottie McBatshit is calling the CO's desk. So my LNC and I had a system wherein we directed the quarterdeck to refer all crazy exes to legal...LNC or I would listen, pretend to give a poo poo, then say "Wow, that's really terrible. We take things like this very seriously. Can you please put all that in a letter, and attach any receipts or bills you have, and send it to the command, to my attention? Once we get your letter I will make sure we look into it and take appropriate action." The ones who just wanted to gently caress with their ex would not be bothered...and the rare instance it was a legit complaint, we would have what we needed to sit down and counsel petty officer idiot. After hanging up, we would back brief the appropriate LCPO and the CMC. Well, shortly after new CMC arrived, we got a call from a crazy. We fielded it, went to tell CMC, and he was in the shower. No biggie. Whatever. so the LCPO filled him in later that morning. He went ape poo poo "blah blah blah. This is enlisted business. Stay out of it. This isn't your place. Blah blah blah. Lot's of profanity." So after explaining to him that, while I was only a staff officer, and he was the CMC, I was still an officer, and his tone was not appropriate, he left my office, again telling me to stay out of enlisted affairs. So I called all the over-eager first tour JAGs who were handling these alleged "non-support" claims on behalf of the crazies from their various legal assistance commands...and the crazies who were unrepresented...and told them all that their new POC for this issue was the CMC and they should direct all calls to him from now on. About 30 minutes (and no less than 6 calls from overzealous 25 year old lawyers) later, the CMC came back into my office and recognized that perhaps legal was the best place to handle this particular issue, and perhaps staff corps have their uses. He wasn't a bad guy, all in all...he just needed to learn to slow down and observe a little bit before deciding what needed to be fixed. We weren't the only shop to have that issue with him.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Christoff posted:

where's my award for avoiding every Navy ball through my whole enlistment

Oh come on...navy ball isn't so bad...it's like prom, but everyone is 20 lbs heavier and has tit tattoos.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

One CO fired, one CO court-martialed. The former was a shitstain who deserved it, but not for reasons given, the latter was a decent guy who got caught up in a lot of OJAG political bullshit. The former spends most of his days whining to anyone who will listen about how unfair it all is and how OJAG is the reason he can't find meaningful post-navy employment, the latter spent 90 days in the brig catching up on his reading and now makes bank in the private sector, so I guess all works out in the end.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Pandasmores posted:

He's still in, he landed orders to DC roght after he pushed for me to go to Mast and shafted me at the DRB for my bogus reckless driving charges when my LPO that abandoned the dude I picked up got his early out approved.

Seems like his types are common at my command with cool dudes randomly showing up. Everyone says I pretty much have the shittiest luck ending up here with 4 year orders on a 5 year contract. Lol.

Proving my theory that DC is a magnet for asswipes.

also drb for reckless driving is weak sauce unless you offroaded it through a strip mall or something.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Pandasmores posted:

Nope, pretty much their only "evidence" was that I went out with the dudes that went to the bar but never stepped foot in the bar, let alone ignoring that I didn't get stopped by the cops, the base MAs at the gate, the investigating officer (as well as most of them hilariously) commended me for doing the right thing completely sober, and I was the only one they had questioned the morning after the incident at work that didn't wreak of alcohol from the previous night.

So he sent you to DRB for being the sober driver? Wow. That's a special kind of rear end in a top hat.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

The fat Leonard thing was gold. The investigation was like a who's who of shady. Knew more than a few involved. Not surprised by any of them, but was surprised some were willing to tube their careers over lady gaga tickets. I would have held out for a better act.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Also, not realizing the she is a he is a westpac rookie mistake. They really should include "look at the hands and feet" during orientation.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

poopkitty posted:

Because realizing you liked it and your bunkmates will call you gay is a great reason to murder someone. Maybe we should teach "don't loving kill people" during orientation.

They can teach both. Do you honestly think i agree with his murdering someone?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

poopkitty posted:

Also, the answer to this is NO. And always have copies.

Correct.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

In jury selection today we had a venireperson who told us she couldn't be a juror because she was going to visit her fiancee in north carolina who is "in the navy" during the trial dates. As she walked out of the courtroom, we noticed she was wearing his dogtags as a necklace.

Will take the Vegas odds she has one of these before this time next year.

God I hate Navy Wives. Not necessarily wives of people in the Navy...but Navy Wives (TM).

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 16, 2014

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

MancXVI posted:

how convenient

well yeah, I mean when the ship goes out you can't be broadcasting that Mrs. poo poo, right?

PS I know someone who actually has one of these hideous creations. Every time I see it I want to light it on fire.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

I only get to see it on facesbook. :(

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

poopkitty posted:

Every hambeast in Yokosuka has one. And yes, they broadcast that shizz. I can always tell the carrier schedule based on the wife FB page. I finally took myself out of there because they called me a "mean girl" for posting instructions and debunking "he said, she said" BS.

You're in Yoko? I miss it there. Since you seem like a decent mug, will let you in on a secret: Have you ever been to Romani? Go to the J side of blue street, up towards the (I think it's a) hospital. it's a little restaurant down a really terrifying set of stairs. Seriously, you will feel like you're about to be asked to put the lotion on its skin. Excellent food, (lamb chaps [sic] in particular) not complete dicks to gaijin, in fact rather friendly, and Shin-san is a kick rear end bartender. Most importantly, you will probably be the only Navy there, so you don't have to deal with honch drama. It was our most closely held secret. After I PCSd my husband pretty much became their resident "Norm." Awesome place. Tell no one. Or at least no one who will gently caress it up.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

poopkitty posted:

Nice. I generally avoid Yoko like the plague, (outside of work, obvs) but I will check it out.

yeah...no good comes of the Honch. Oh, and matchpoint in zushi is decent also. Tuna avocado bruscetta omnomnomnom.

It's a shame my command were such toolbags, because there was a lot to like about Japan...that was all overshadowed by my overwhelming desire to stab everyone around me.

Where are you specifically, and how long have you been there? I can give you some other things worth checking out...but really Romani is my #1 recommendation.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

poopkitty posted:

Matchpoint French toast is divine. Been here a few years now, we get around pretty well.

OK, then I won't bore you with a map...but Sugis in Roppongi is also great for gigantic american breakfasts.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

orange juche posted:

Thank god I only have until August in Japan, I really tried to like the place, and it was pretty cool, but gently caress if everyone in the chain of command isn't super loving uptight. It doesn't help being one of like 3 E-5s here out of around 100 people. There's 4 people lower ranked than me I think, 6 first classes, and other than that it's all CPOs and up.

Yeah...it could be an awesome place and it is, in cycles, but the liberty policies, especially for junior people, suck depending on who's in charge. I used to play rugby with the USS [REDACTED] and it killed me that we had really stand up, smart, non shitbag guys on the team who I had to play taxi for because god forbid we let an E-5 drive (unless he gets married to a buy me drinkie girl, moves into base housing, and now gets TWO cars.) The curfews etc. are really infantilizing.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

germskr posted:

Anybody ever been stationed at Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling? I got orders there and need some advice on where (not) to live in the surrounding area. I heard Alexandria is nice, but pricey. Single E-5 BAH for price reference.

All I know about Annacostia is my old rugby team used their park for matches and had to cancel more than one game due to the presence of corpses.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

germskr posted:

Yeah, SE part of DC has a reputation. How long ago was this?

2006. And I played for the Furies, and guest played for the Renegades a few times as the token chick.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

vulturesrow posted:

Cool. What position? I'm just asking because I played in college and in a men's club when I was stationed at NAS Whidbey for the first time.

Hooker and Flanker. What team? I was in Bremerton for a bit circa 2005.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Sir Lucius posted:

CO was watching my PRT today. Are you supposed to call attention on deck while in PT gear? No one did, but this was also the first time since he's been the CO ( a year and a half) that I've seen him in person. I also hear he got pissed off the other day that a watchfloor that didn't belong to him didn't call attention on deck, so idk.

your CO is a dick.

Here...I'll elaborate. The purpose of calling attention on deck is to bring people to attention. Much like the rules on saluting (e.g. you don't have to salute if you are running your PRT/carrying a heavy load/driving a car etc.) can be relaxed depending on the circumstances, outdoors, it's a judgment call whether or not calling attention on deck is appropriate. Wanting people to stand at attention to bask in your warm senior glow while they are getting ready to/engaging in the PRT makes you a certified douche.

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 21, 2014

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Sir Lucius posted:

Yea, it's especially funny because not even 4 stars want attention called. I heard people were going to DRB for this. I work nights so I'm trying to find out more

This is how a three star was able to sneak up on me during an exercise. *Looks up...sees three stars. "What's up, Sir?"* Could have been worse. could have been watching porn.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Pretty much. Ditto for awards boards.

Source: Sat on an awards board and routinely pointed out that the only time we deviated from the command's written award guidance in the sailor's favor was when said sailor's LCPO was on the awards board. Response: Durrrrrrrr....HE'S GETTING A COMM!

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

DustyNuts posted:

The percentage of Sailors getting NJP is way down from the old days, so if almost everyone has good conduct medals, it kind of makes sense to drop it from consideration. Besides, with the way poo poo works nowadays, if you get a NJP in your first term you're pretty much hosed and getting booted out via C-WAY.

Yeah. Concern is that with perform to serve, etc. giving a guy NJP is a death sentence. It used to be a fairly effective way to just correct someone that was a little messed up but had potential.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

orange juche posted:

To be fair, an NJP is the kiss of death for your career pretty much. You may have good evals, 2 pins etc and be a supervisor over a bunch of people, but if you get an NJP, then your spot will go to the guy who does the same thing as you, without the NJP.

The chiefs usually try to handle the minor fuckups at DRB, if it's a decent CPO mess. The return gently caress ups after having a DRB cut them slack and recommend dismissal of charges have earned the NJP.

yeah, that was my point. NJP numbers are down because conventional wisdom says, if you want them to have any prayer of staying in, you can't give them an NJP.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Pandasmores posted:

Also Poopkitty lol, you can get stationed in Gitmo but if you go there from another command you're considered "deployed" hahahaha.

JAG was giving IA deployment credit to people working out of DC. *eyeroll* Actual e-mail sent to another JAG "Congratulations on answering your nation's call and volunteering for this very dangerous billet. Would you be interested in subletting my condo while I am in Iraq? Please respond soonest, and God Speed."

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

or call the IG's office.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh wait...you were serious.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

seriously though, OP, pm me and I'll let you know if it's something the spineless douchebags at IG will take an honest look at.

I have many...many IG tales but I'm not drunk enough to tell them.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Yeah...I actually made the mistake of telling an IG the truth once. Pm me if you want the sordid tale.

Also, are you a lawyer or a law student? Because if the former, we probably know each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Just a law student. Former SWO.

Ah, good. My anonymity is safe. For now...

• Locked thread