Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Saw something that was loving hilarious and put this into perspective a bit better. A second class forgot he even had watch, walked in in the wrong uniform of the day, late, didn't get anything to happen to him. Same duty section, an E-3 shows up 10 minutes late after he called down 25 minutes prior to let them know a procedure would cause him to be late, second class demands an immediate write-up for the kid even though he notified the section leader (a third class). It's amazing how all this just keeps ticking on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Guy on my boat was on shower watch. In the time that is normally taken by cleanup (bitch work) there was a human being tasked with watching another human being shower with the door open to verify things like the usage of soap and water. This was the one dude on the entire boat that was allowed to take full showers. When your poo poo is such an issue that it could potentially cripple operations, maybe you shouldn't be alive

Hes probably laughing somewhere remembering the days he would be forced to shower with another man staring at him, playing dumb and taking his time.

Girls are god drat disgusting, and sometimes the craziest, most manipulative assholes ever. Favorite/funniest moment was a dependent that reaked of BO because the government was loving with her hormones through hygiene products (including pads). Queue her acting up on the ward during a visit from her husband trying to convince her the meds will help, gets restrained by some of the nurses and straight up looks at her husband in the eyes Exorcist style screaming "SEE THEY KNOW HOW TO TIE ME DOWN AND DOMINATE ME!" Hawked the gnarliest loogie I have ever seen across the room at him.

gently caress I miss the ward.

Edit:
Another A/C school story - Kid after boot camp stops doing his laundry, then eventually stops showering. His BO gets so bad they send him to DRB. Hes ordered to shower and get a haircut with shampoo and all. He goes to his room and tries to shave off his 5 inches of hair all around with just a Gillette razor. Scars his head, bled all over everything in his room.

Hygiene is one of the things to go in crazy people. Stay safe out there and be nice to the weirdo at least once during chow just to make sure they dont explode on you.

Pandasmores fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Oct 4, 2014

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

So the directorate (division for those of you on ships?) LPO just dropped off my PTS/C-Way application. Apart from the DLPO freaking out and trying to incite a panic attack into me through "WELL HOW ARE YOU GOING TO PAY FOR THINGS IF THE NAVY DOESN'T COVER IT ANY MORE HAVE YOU THOUGHT OF THAT?!?!?", there's a bit of the paperwork that kind of confuses me.

In all this, it has my EAOS and my SEAOS. My EAOS is January next year, my Soft EAOS is in January 2016. Does that mean that if I check off "Intend to separate" I'm out in 2015 or am I still going to finish my contract in 2016 because of the 1 year obligation corpsmen sign up for?

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Yeah, my PRD runs about 3 months past my SEAOS.

Sweeeeet, thanks dudes! I'll go ahead and keep it this way just in case. Printing out the PRIMS and all that is a pain.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

PneumonicBook posted:

Got some lovely news today. A dude bengy and I were on our ship for five years with killed himself this morning.

I know we all joke about the amount of training we go through for that poo poo, but yea. Keep an eye out on your dudes? Not sure what point I'm trying to make I guess.

Sorry for your loss PneumonicBook.

The best thing you could possibly ever do for a friend that's in a situation where you can't verify how safe they are is to hang around, whether on the phone if they just called you or arrange to meet in person and s how that at least you're able to lend an ear or something. It can be difficult with the way our jobs are, the whole "mission first" then everything else follows, but there's also a possibility in reporting someone through 911 or your Chiefs to ensure their safety. They may hate you for the moment, it's far better for them to hate you for a few nights and then thanking you for saving them from themselves than not doing anything and never hearing from them again. Show you care, and walk them to a place where they can vent/talk to a professional, even help plan out a time when you'll both be able to go. There have been a few times where some of the corpsmen, and even the squadron dudes that know me, just stop me in the hall, knock on my door, or shoot me a text asking for some help. An ear and a helping hand are easy to give, with you listening/getting them to where they need to be, and nothing is more powerful than helping someone. Except an Apache helicopter. An Apache helicopter has machine guns AND missiles. It is an unbelievably impressive complement of weaponry, an absolute death machine.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

The unmotivated me wonders why I was trying to find the sneakiest backdoor routes to get into an AW board or something, just to experience it since my motard rear end was into doing everything possible to be the best. I didn't care about the BJOQ board, or anything else this hospital viewed as 'important' to showing you wanted to do more in the Navy than just show up to work. I loving hate these people. Corpsman Chiefs are the worst. 3 months and my BAH chit still hasn't gone anywhere.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Look up your command instruction regarding special request chits. I'm certain it will list a specifically required response time. Typically it's 3 business days. Bring that to your LPO's then chief's attention. If they still don't do anything, go to your DIVO, department head, XO, and CO in that order until it gets squared away.

poo poo getting lost in the goat locker was one of my biggest loving pet peeves. Even if they're going to recommend deny, holding onto it is a lovely loving stall tactic and is unacceptable.

Yeah, found it at the admin office. The MAs and one of the RPs were in there, PS and YN are gone or some poo poo and hilariously my chit is now going to be 2 months and counting on the wait with like 7 more. The RP was just like "they'll take care of it when barracks manning is at the right percentage, whatever it is now." And then he pulled some percentage out of his rear end when I didnt just turn around and leave. Apparently, from what they said I should have walked it up back in August when I putnit in and not given it to my LPO, regardless of what coverage my clinic needed to handle psychotic patients who were getting hosed by medical if I didnt step it. Buddy fuckers to the last, every one of them. I guess on Tuesday Ill take some time to just grab it from the office and walk into the CMCs office and just tell him that they said I should have walked it. In reality Ill just call the lady that has the manning calculated and talk to her. If its over Im moving my chit if not then lmao.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

poopkitty posted:

She had the XO/CO convinced that she was the gatekeeper. She was an evil, evil, manipulative bitch.

Once I went on liberty in a foreign port with my liberty buddy. We had overnight libs, two hotel rooms, the usual. (I'm a Chief, and a woman, the only one on board at the time.) She wrote a HUGE disclaimer on my chit about "perceptions of untoward behavior" and adultery. She let us know "she'd be watching." Good, bitch. Try watching me Skype with my family inside my hotel room.

She didn't even eat in the CPO mess because she thought she was better than us. She would come in and get food and then eat in her office. She used to tell us "I am the 1%" all the time.

So not all Chiefs have the view of "I didn't see you do it, but I have a hunch you did, you're a filthy liar trying to use Jedi mind tricks, and I am God almighty"? You just blew my drat mind Poopkitty.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Had a Chief that was afraid of firings to the point he called in everyone E-4 and below into a conference room to scare everyone into not reporting a drat thing (even went so far as to tell us all that if we are planning to kill ourselves we should because we are a blight on society if we cant handle the 'old school Navy' he was trying to keep around, in a room that had four of my suicidal patients), a CO that was trying his hardest to quiet people pointing poo poo out that was wrong with the system, and a Chief's Mess that throws the book at junior people but sweeps poo poo under the rug as much as possible for E-5 and above.

I couldnt imagine working in a command with some of the poo poo you guys have, although if the female CMC Poopkitty had ran Great Lakes' Corpsman A School the year it closed I wouldn't be surprised.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

poopkitty posted:

Panda, I sure hope that E-7 is no longer in the Navy. As much as I dislike this job sometimes, I really like most of the people. After all they were fed the same kool aid as me.

And no, she didn't. She wasn't a CMC until she got to my ship. I think she's at her last duty station now. She won't go back to sea at least.

He's still in, he landed orders to DC roght after he pushed for me to go to Mast and shafted me at the DRB for my bogus reckless driving charges when my LPO that abandoned the dude I picked up got his early out approved.

Seems like his types are common at my command with cool dudes randomly showing up. Everyone says I pretty much have the shittiest luck ending up here with 4 year orders on a 5 year contract. Lol.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

ActusRhesus posted:

Proving my theory that DC is a magnet for asswipes.

also drb for reckless driving is weak sauce unless you offroaded it through a strip mall or something.

Nope, pretty much their only "evidence" was that I went out with the dudes that went to the bar but never stepped foot in the bar, let alone ignoring that I didn't get stopped by the cops, the base MAs at the gate, the investigating officer (as well as most of them hilariously) commended me for doing the right thing completely sober, and I was the only one they had questioned the morning after the incident at work that didn't wreak of alcohol from the previous night.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Analogical posted:

So I'm TDY somewhere there's no Navy, or even any DoD, for six months. Obviously my PRT was bound to be an issue. Talked to my chain and told them about it, they say its cool, so naturally I'm skeptical as poo poo. Find another sailor who's also going and found out he put in an SRC and a copy of his travel orders. I do the same and turn it in. "Oh, thanks."

Two weeks ago by. LPO says she'll get with me before the weekend.

Three weeks go by. I've now left.

Seven weeks go by. Two weeks to PRT window and at this point I've called my DFL, CFL office (4 times, getting 4 unique answers) and even called a Chief from another department who all say they'll get back to me.

Eighth week and my LPO finally calls. "WHY THE HELL DIDN'T YOU TELL US YOU COULDN'T PRT THERE?" So I tell my LPO I dropped an SRC and she says she'll call me back when she finds it.

>Three days later.
"Hey, I need you to resubmit your SRC."
"Why?"
"I need you to move the date submitted to today. It looks like we sat on this with the date being in August."
:captainpop:

So I resubmit everything. Change the dates to cover their asses. Get a call four days later from DIVO. "You better not submit this poo poo so late again."

ROGER

Yet somehow they blew their lid when I said I wanted to drop an army warrant aviation packet as if I was leaving the brass ring behind. Granted I'm sure my army packet will never be completed, because two items on there have to come from my current chain of command in a timely fashion. What boggles my loving mind is that it's been this way for the past two years. My girlfriend had an out of bounds chit get sat on for three weeks and was told AFTER the weekend that it was approved. How does anyon-- hungghghhghhh

Should've hosed each and every one of them so they don't look as good as they're trying to make themselves look. This is how irresponsible people eventually become responsible over naive juniors and continuously gently caress up until retirement. One of the LPOs here used to ask the BJOQ/BJOY, the JSOQ/JSOY, or any sailor that looked motivated (loving retarded/stupid) enough to help her out with paying for her two kids while her baby daddy ran around. Came out when one of the dudes that's on his way out asked me if this was normal at this command and one of the newer dudes from overseas who gave her a grand heard him asking. Chits just piling up on her desk, requesting new ones when she knew they would ask questions about the length of time between submission to approval and the shredding of some to pretty much cover her own rear end until retirement.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

ActusRhesus posted:

All I know about Annacostia is my old rugby team used their park for matches and had to cancel more than one game due to the presence of corpses.

Sounds like the perfect timing to go there with Halloween coming up and all.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Ket whenever I see your posts I remember the misery of your life as an instructor and it always helped me realize that "oh well, at least I'm not a Nuke." I laugh pretty hard when I see my friend's significant others/siblings go against what I tell them and enlist as Nukes what with the eventual "I hate my loving life" status updates on facebook every so often. Feels good to see life is finally going well for you, hopefully you get that Med Board. 3 LLDs and you get looked at for it automatically, IIRC. Just hope you have a decent PEBLO to handle all your paperwork. Try and maintain copies of all the paperwork that's going into it, you never know what gets lost/looked over.

My girlfriend found a Pit Bull puppy near her apartment complex, pictures coming up when she gets internet tonight :3:

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

DownByTheWooter posted:

did you go to DTAP yet?
If you're found unfit >30% for a condition by the medboard, you'll be medically retired either PDRL or TDRL with Tricare.

At least with TDRL Ket, remember to mark down the date of when you are to see a provider for an update on your condition if you are to receive the >30% unfit rating. If you miss the appointment or don't see a provider in the prescribed time, they could have you start the process all over again/pull whatever benefits you were receiving while on it. I've had a few patients that lost their benefits/had to start the process over because they didn't receive a call/didn't schedule for their continued care at the time it was supposed to happen. So, make sure to ask questions about continuing care and what kind of doctor you have to see should you be put on either list.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

ded posted:

Words or phrases that the Navy ruined for me :

Field day
Good deal
Hook you up
Party

Any time someone says "good to go" I want to punch them.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Sir Lucius posted:

CO was watching my PRT today. Are you supposed to call attention on deck while in PT gear? No one did, but this was also the first time since he's been the CO ( a year and a half) that I've seen him in person. I also hear he got pissed off the other day that a watchfloor that didn't belong to him didn't call attention on deck, so idk.

He just sounds a bit douchey, I've never seen anyone call attention on deck while in PT gear. Not really your problem to call it if you're out ranked by another petty officer, always just leave it to them unless you want to have attention drawn to yourself. People that aren't even his wouldn't have the slightest clue that he was the CO.

Just salute to be safe/call attention on deck if you feel that it's called for because keeping the douche off your rear end is what matters most until you get out.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

So a little debate seems to be going on among the different HNs, especially the new ones coming in from other commands. For the people that have been to hospitals as commands:

1) Do the evals of the lower enlisted get ranked based on their NEC or do you lump in everyone that's assigned to a particular directorate?

Seems that everyone would get ranked based on their performance only within their particular department in a smart way (Psych tech evals ranked with Psych techs, Surg techs with Surg techs, etc.), with all the general duty (0000 and 8404) being lumped in together. This is particularly because of the various workloads of every clinic being different, as well as their duties. In my case, I won't ever see as many patients as someone assigned to regular medical primarily because our evaluations are different and require different amounts of time to complete.

2) Are your guys stacked individually based on work?

It appears that everyone seems to get a general duty evaluation, with low performers being given more credit and high performers lower based on the fact that they all work as a team, which makes no sense for an individual evaluation. It may just be anger at being given the same points/MP/P as someone that doesn't have a job, but the EPs seem to go solely to the people that have volunteer hours regardless of the others competing with college hours.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

krispykremessuck posted:

to be fair navy correspondence is a complete shitshow so really the person sending up the award should probably also get an award

"For outstanding professional write up of 58 sailors in the superior performance of his duties while serving as LPO, Shitboat, Bumfucknowhere, Penisland from May 2013 to March 2014. Petty Officer Shitdick's outstanding performance, initiative, and perseverance reflected credit upon himself and were in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Naval service."

dragondir posted:

Don't know if I missed an earlier post, but how bad is nuke life? I'm genuinely curious as I'm contemplating the navy. Haven't had the conversation yet, but some information you know would be appreciated.

Seriously, listen to Ket, Nuke is more than likely the shittiest job in the Navy to join in the history of ever unless you're down to follow his path of doing w/e it is to work at a plant for six figures. Or you could just sit down, open up books and go down his scholastic path without blowing away 6 years of hating your decision.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Our baby nuke from the recruiting station broke down and cried in front of his division during his second day at boot. Said his instructors told him that's ok it just shows how much you care. His letter to us....was interesting to say the least with such helpful advice as "sleep on the flight there" (he stayed on facebook the whole flight from CA chatting).

I don't think nuke was such a good choice for him.

The baby nuke we had got saved at the last minute because someone at MEPS screwed up. He was going to go Nuke and somehow ended up in an FC contract instead. When he got to the ship and spoke to a Nuke he was happy.

Thanks for the correction Ket!

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Was talking to some people earlier and thought back on how I qualified on the 50 mount.

This picture is from 2002 but the mount was still like this but on the starboard side when I shot it. Yeah had to qual on this double 50.

Holy poo poo thats loving metal as gently caress.

According to my LPO, it isn't total bullshit that some E-3 getting bluejacket/stopping to check if anyone is hurt at a vehicle accident in a shore command gets a NAM but an E-3 saving a life on a battlefield under fire just gets a pat on the back in some cases.

Is it just hospitals that give NAMs away like crazy or do sea going commands do it as well?

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Commands have a weird sense to what the people within them want. Prime example:

Sets up retarded barracks clean-up when the barracks are already cleaned by broke dicks from base commands.
Regardless of if the patient is wrong, the patient is always right.
Sets up watch in an empty building because "you never know when the cleaning people are going to collapse", has automated fire alarms/boiler gauges/immunizations locker monitor but they must be checked in such a way that the duty driver checks them and not someone that's actually in charge of that equipment and trained on its maintenance.
All clinics mandated to have people answering phones at the same time as central appointment hotline, because you never know when they may transfer the patient to the clinic directly. This would be fine, if some of the clinics on the list weren't referral only clinics and closed off to the dependents that usually are awake at 5 AM to get their narcotics.
Having what appears to be rank favoritism, where an E-3 is held and punished to a higher standard than someone at E-5.

:chiefsay: "But why are you guys hating the Navy so much? Don't worry it's different at other commands!"

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Lol, apparently all my friends that get BAH at their other commands say that barracks manning is never anywhere near the percentage for manning, the commands are actively looking for people to get out of the barracks just to not have to deal with barracks room failures so it's not loving over their weekends reinspecting. Meanwhile, my chit is sitting in a folder in the admin office where an RP2 is running things over the YNAN waiting to up 1% to meet the 95% manning. There's a bunch of chits behind mine, but it's the next one up to go to the CMCs desk and even though the CMC has signed off on 2 others, they haven't gone to the base CO in god knows how long.

Doesn't surprise me that you guys have NCs that have no business handling important paperwork, hell the Navy's drug counselors are primarily from non-medical ratings and last I heard they were trying to make it an NEC for NCs. I guess having people that get the NEC and then booting them out because they can't compete with other people when the C-Way or whatever the hell it is comes up/don't make Chief because they aren't working in their rating any more.

Also Poopkitty lol, you can get stationed in Gitmo but if you go there from another command you're considered "deployed" hahahaha.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Honest question. Why are their drug counselors if it's a zero tolerance Navy? Do they only help with legal drug misuse?

You still get treatment if you want it. If you ever find yourself getting in an ARI and refuse treatment you are at the discretion of your command, so the CO can decide to kick you out or not. If you go to a screening and choose to go into treatment, you can go through treatment and then your CO decides if he wants to kick you out or keep you in for a second chance. Some of the dudes that go through treatment get pardoned by the CO and then if they do something again they just get booted. The counselors can make recommendations for treatment, commands can choose if they want to send someone through it but if the member wishes to go then the command says no it usually looks negative on the CO (or they hosed up really bad).

Everyone gets an offer to do treatment, and it can be either a 3-day course or several months inpatient rehab. Depends on the drug, but usually we just see alcohol and amphetamines.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

What's the process in reporting something that's been going on and people are just sweeping it under the rug/some people higher up that know about it are avoiding bringing it up because this place is a political cesspool?

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

Evan Williams.

Would but I'm 280 days sober.

Edit: Cool, I'll see where this goes and then try to go higher up as it all goes down.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

krispykremessuck posted:

Don't waste your time with Fraud, Waste, and Abuse either unless it's something that will end up in GAO's lap. Which with what you do, it won't.

In fact, don't bother reporting whatever the gently caress it is, probably.

e: Because someone higher up probably already knows about it, has signed off on it, and had legal jury-rig a determination together that what they're doing is a-ok.

If they did that with this then lol the Navy is hosed and this place deserves to be graded one of the screwed up places in the navy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

If you're still posting in this thread and it's November where you are you're wrong. Expect Mast, shipmates. :chiefsay:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3678123&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Pandasmores fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 1, 2014

• Locked thread