Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey is an episodic adventure game and the sequel to Funcom's The Longest Journey (2000) and Dreamfall (2006), developed by Norwegian indie studio Red Thread Games.

Release Date:
October 21, 2014 (Book One)
March 10, 2015 (Book Two)

Platforms: PC/Mac/Linux (PS4 to come)
Official Website
Steam Store Page

After an unspeakably lengthy hiatus, Ragnar Tornquist (creator and writer of the TLJ series) left his post at Funcom as creative director and founded his own studio with fellow Dreamfall writer Dag Scheve. They turned to Kickstarter to fund the project. In addition to a grant from the Norwegian Film Institute, they were able to raise upwards of $1.5 million by the campaign's end.

Chapters is set to take place immediately after the events of Dreamfall. Gameplay will largely mimic Telltale's The Walking Dead series -- a third-person, point and click interface where certain choices made early on affect the outcome of events later in the game.

More Links:
Dreamfall Chapters Original Kickstarter
Red Thread Games YouTube Channel

Trailers:
Book One: Reborn Trailer

Frequently Asked Questions
Dreamfall Chapters General FAQ
"A Message From Ragnar" FAQ Compilation

:siren:Yes, the game will be episodic. No, it will not have those awful combat/stealth portions that hampered Dreamfall.:siren:

quote:

I'm interested in the series but can't be arsed to get my hands on the first two games and play through them.

Chapters will supposedly be packaged with a primer on all the events preceding. But if you have the time, here are a few video Let's Plays that are quite thorough:

The Longest Journey / Dreamfall by Grawl (Video Playthrough without commentary)
Dreamfall by Rin (Screenshot/Video LP with commentary)

There's also this post on NeoGAF (thanks theblackw0lf!) that does a better job of putting Chapters into context than I ever could.

quote:

What'll be in Book One? How long is each episode?
Book One will consist of a prelude, two out of a total of thirteen chapters, as well as an interlude.
Ragnar: "Some people have spent almost three hours with Book One. Book One is one of the shorter books. Book Two is...bigger. Book Three…well, Book Three may not be bigger than Book Two. But it's still big. Book Four, on the other hand. Oh, boy!"

:siren:Please remember to tag your spoilers!:siren:

Concept Art/Screenshots:

Mira fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Everything I've seen just makes me really hype for this game. It's probably going to be rad. About time too, the cliffhanger ending in Dreamfall was so utterly painful. :haw:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I can only hope they're splitting the game into episodes for logistical reasons more than financial ones. I've seen other episodic adventure games really go down in quality when they relied on the sales of the first episode or two to fund the others.

I really hope this turns out well in any case. I like TLJ and Dreamfall too much to think otherwise.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Kibayasu posted:

I can only hope they're splitting the game into episodes for logistical reasons more than financial ones. I've seen other episodic adventure games really go down in quality when they relied on the sales of the first episode or two to fund the others.

I really hope this turns out well in any case. I like TLJ and Dreamfall too much to think otherwise.

They've said it's sort of both. The game is much bigger than originally planned for and already was naturally divided into sections, so it made sense to release as they went rather than doing it in one big push. At the same time, it brings in additional finances to keep fleshing it out. They've said that if the first couple episodes sell poorly that it will likely be Red Thread's only product, but they'll still be able to finish the game.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Funny enough the game was originally intended to be episodic from the beginning when it was under Funcom, so it really doesn't change all that much.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

This here is so brilliant, I don't know why another game hasn't done it yet (unless there is one I'm not aware of). The character talks about what they're thinking when you mouse over a dialog selection. And judging by that gameplay video released a while back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb6kSyx6Cek it's going to be fully voice acted :allears: I for one am standing here with my arms outstretched eagerly waiting for the Ragnar Tornquist Dialog Dumptruck to bury me with words.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Has any release date been set for PS4? Hopefully the game will control nicely using a controller.

The Longest Journey is one of my favourite adventure games, I'm excited for this.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

RightClickSaveAs posted:

This here is so brilliant, I don't know why another game hasn't done it yet (unless there is one I'm not aware of). The character talks about what they're thinking when you mouse over a dialog selection. And judging by that gameplay video released a while back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb6kSyx6Cek it's going to be fully voice acted :allears: I for one am standing here with my arms outstretched eagerly waiting for the Ragnar Tornquist Dialog Dumptruck to bury me with words.
Yeah that's one of my favorite things about that first gameplay vid they showed months back. Not only does it prevent you from misinterpreting the dialogue options like some other games had problems with but it really adds some extra personality too.

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

This here is so brilliant, I don't know why another game hasn't done it yet (unless there is one I'm not aware of). The character talks about what they're thinking when you mouse over a dialog selection.

That was actually one of the features that made me raise an eyebrow, if only because I'm worried about how out of place it'd feel to have this extensive monologue each time I'm in the middle of a casual conversation with another NPC. :spergin:MY IMMERSION:spergin: and all that.

But I'll wait 'til the actual game to place judgment.

Spalec posted:

Has any release date been set for PS4? Hopefully the game will control nicely using a controller.

The Longest Journey is one of my favourite adventure games, I'm excited for this.

I believe Tornquist said he'll have a better idea of PS4 release dates after Book Two. I can only assume early 2015.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Are we allowed to punch or pile drive the little ones who sing to the earth in this one?

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Mira posted:

That was actually one of the features that made me raise an eyebrow, if only because I'm worried about how out of place it'd feel to have this extensive monologue each time I'm in the middle of a casual conversation with another NPC. :spergin:MY IMMERSION:spergin: and all that.

Just pretend they're doing a House of Cards-style 4th wall breaking monologue and imagine the theme song in the background.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm kinda sick of games I kickstarted for splitting up into episodic games. :sigh:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm kinda sick of games I kickstarted for splitting up into episodic games. :sigh:

Yeah, I kind of suspect they were sort of planning to split it into episodes the entire time, because it was what they originally wanted to do.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

What's up Batou

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Now that the release date is official, how long can you still pledge on their site and get the game for $15?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Now that the release date is official, how long can you still pledge on their site and get the game for $15?
Did they ever do that for $15? All I see now is one for $25, so it may have changed already. http://redthreadgames.com/pledge/

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Did they ever do that for $15? All I see now is one for $25, so it may have changed already. http://redthreadgames.com/pledge/

Oh yeah, you're right. I even had that link opened in a tab but my mind wanted it to be 15 I guess. :shobon: Still, I imagine it will be full price once preorders start? So many other things I want to spend money on, I keep putting it off.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
The Special Edition of the game (full season pass) is now on sale at GOG for $30 as a preorder price. Looks like standard price will be $35.

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

New interview with Ragnar in Wired. Questions don't really cover anything we don't already know, but it has some neat screenshots.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Oh poo poo, it's happening Tuesday! The latest update goes into it, the keys are going to be sent out to backers on Tuesday at whatever crazy Norwegian MoonTime they use over there, more detail to come in an update on Monday.

And you'll get a key on Monday if you did an early access Kickstarter tier ($75+). :toot:

quote:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/redthread/dreamfall-chapters-the-longest-journey/posts/1020779

Early access backers will get their early access keys on Monday. Exactly when on Monday, we don't know yet. At that point, you will be able to play the game.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
I wish there was more of a hype train for this game, if only because it'd be really annoying to have bad sales doom TLJ fans into yet another cliffhanger that'll take years to have any resolution. Solution: put zombies in it

If nothing else, it's a good excuse to replay Dreamfall since I've started forgetting parts of the story by now. TLJ I've played enough over the years that it's burned into my memory forever.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

TerminalBlue posted:

I wish there was more of a hype train for this game, if only because it'd be really annoying to have bad sales doom TLJ fans into yet another cliffhanger that'll take years to have any resolution. Solution: put zombies in it

If nothing else, it's a good excuse to replay Dreamfall since I've started forgetting parts of the story by now. TLJ I've played enough over the years that it's burned into my memory forever.

I am excited for this game but have actively avoiding all news about it because it's one of only a few games where I don't want to be spoiled on anything, not even screenshots or artwork.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
For those who backed the early bird tier we're getting the first episode in a few more hours.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Chard posted:

What's up Batou

I too would like to know whats going on with Batou.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
:siren: The Early Access keys are out. :siren:

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

Oh hell yeah, downloading now.

Looks like there are 7 hidden achievements, too, which I'm assuming are regular progression achievements a la The Walking Dead.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Thing I'm bummed about is Tornquist said repeatedly (and the product listings on Steam and GOG also say) that the Journeys: Birth e-book would be out today before the game came out.

Still no e-book..

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Wow Zoe sounds way different than what I remember. Or maybe it's just been so long since I played Dreamfall. drat, now I need to decide if I want to play Dreamfall again before I get into this, the story recap menu item is grayed out at the moment and I don't remember much.

I don't know if they mentioned it officially, but the game does support a controller. I've got my 360 controller plugged in and it works fine. The keyboard and mouse controls are solid so far though, I'll probably stick with those. The point and click interaction I've seen is pretty light, and it looks like they streamlined it a lot from the pre-alpha footage they showed. You move the mouse to look around and a selection icon will appear and snap into place on items you can interact with now.

e: oh god there is so much dialogue :swoon:

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 21, 2014

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Wow Zoe sounds way different than what I remember. Or maybe it's just been so long since I played Dreamfall. drat, now I need to decide if I want to play Dreamfall again before I get into this, the story recap menu item is grayed out at the moment and I don't remember much.

I think I pretty much have to at this point. I did it for Tex Murphy and Tesla Effect and I think it helped, at least for getting me into the right mood. Hopefully it actually runs.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Kibayasu posted:

I think I pretty much have to at this point. I did it for Tex Murphy and Tesla Effect and I think it helped, at least for getting me into the right mood. Hopefully it actually runs.
Dreamfall still runs fine for me in Windows 7, I've got it installed on Steam because I kept meaning to go back to it. It will make you appreciate the controls and movement in Chapters so much more though, good god I forgot how clunky Dreamfall was.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

humblebundle.com is super slow and on OS X the Steam download looks broken, "no executable", yay.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Wow Zoe sounds way different than what I remember. Or maybe it's just been so long since I played Dreamfall.

It's a different actress. The original person who played Zoe quit acting. Dreamfall was one of her last gigs.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

MrMoo posted:

humblebundle.com is super slow and on OS X the Steam download looks broken, "no executable", yay.

From Ragnar's forum post about early access:

Ragnar Tørnquist posted:

Also, we don't have Mac or Linux versions ready — for the moment, this is Windows only. Sorry! I'm a Mac user myself, so I feel your pain.

The reason for this is quality assurance: we had to start somewhere, and we started with PC. As soon as we're comfortable with the Mac and Linux versions, those will go live on Steam, followed by Humble and GOG.com. It might take a bit of time — we obviously can't ship something that hasn't been tested — but it will happen within the next twelve hours.

macnbc posted:

Thing I'm bummed about is Tornquist said repeatedly (and the product listings on Steam and GOG also say) that the Journeys: Birth e-book would be out today before the game came out.

Still no e-book..

I'm hopeful that it comes out before the official release. Please Ragnar... please?

macnbc posted:

It's a different actress. The original person who played Zoe quit acting. Dreamfall was one of her last gigs.

That's a drat shame, Zoe's performance was a high performance of Dreamfall. How is the new actress?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

choobs posted:

That's a drat shame, Zoe's performance was a high performance of Dreamfall. How is the new actress?
She sounds great, just different. It seems like all the Longest Journey games have upheld some pretty high standards for voice acting.

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

Yeah, when I first heard the new voice, I was worried that it would be off-putting. But she sounds great.

I'm loving the hell out of the music and interface so far.

hellocruelworld
Feb 28, 2003

Dude, I See God!

RightClickSaveAs posted:

She sounds great, just different. It seems like all the Longest Journey games have upheld some pretty high standards for voice acting.

I like the new actress better. The previous actress was too stoic, never raising her voice at all, rarely effecting much emotion.

I'm having fun with this so far, but Europolis runs a bit choppy for me. I have a Geforce GTX 660, I mean, I know it's not a top tier video card these days but I don't have any problems with any other games and it's not like this game is a AAA powerhouse title.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Did play for half an hour before heading to bed. Not too impressed by the voice acting currently.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Anyone know when the keys are supposed to go out for regular backers?

Edit: Was able to redeem it on Steam using the Humble Key resender and it's on my game list but there is no install option on steam yet.

AllisonByProxy fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Oct 21, 2014

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

AllisonByProxy posted:

Was able to redeem it on Steam using the Humble Key resender and it's on my game list but there is no install option on steam yet.
Me too. I think this is normal. We are not in early access, so we just get the keys ahead of the release, and will be able to download as soon as it is publicly out.

Edit: By activating the Steam key, have I screwed myself out of the DRM free version? I can't find the quote, but I remember RTG saying that you can only have one of the two... and (understandably or not) they have been quite vague about this thing lately.

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Oct 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

How can I redeem the kickstarter thing? I filled out the backerkit, but it just says "you're done, share".

• Locked thread