Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Episode 4 is coming out this Thursday, Dec 3rd.

I've got to say I'm a bit surprised it's out so soon after all that mess with the engine upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
That is surprising. I'm also worried about how the last two chapters will go down considering as someone else posted, 4 and 5 will probably be more like chapter 3's length. I mean I feel like we barely just got started but we're already technically at and/or past the halfway point.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
It'll be a great starting point for Red Thread Games newest kickstarter, titled Dreamfall Chronicles

e; Who am I kidding, I'd donate :smith: I enjoy these more than I should.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Zat posted:

Episode 4 is coming out this Thursday, Dec 3rd.

I've got to say I'm a bit surprised it's out so soon after all that mess with the engine upgrade.

The understanding I had after reading their Kickstarter updates was that episode 4 was mostly done, but they had built it all in Unity 5 already so they had to drop everything to finish the engine upgrade for 1-3 before they could finish.

They've also talked about how much faster their workflow is in Unity 5, so I imagine episode 4 benefited from that.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

-delete

Sustentacular
Aug 27, 2011
Looks like it's live. Downloading now :dance:

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Anyone know what it means when you get a little exclamation point in the upper right? It appeared with a wooshing sound when I first walked around Marcuria with Crow.

E: My assumption is that it's a balance shifting indicator, but what balance shifts by just walking around?

Joda fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 3, 2015

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Joda posted:

E: My assumption is that it's a balance shifting indicator, but what balance shifts by just walking around?

The one in your inner ear. :rimshot:

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe
Why the gently caress do they still have stealth sections? They clearly either don't have the tools or expertise to make them interesting, so why are they even trying?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
So I start the game, and it tells me that I will have to redo the final choice of the previous chapter. Sure, why not. Right after I make the choice again, the game crashes. I try again; it crashes again.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Edit: Third time's the charm! This isn't instilling me with a lot of confidence in their new framework.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 3, 2015

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

SimonChris posted:

So I start the game, and it tells me that I will have to redo the final choice of the previous chapter. Sure, why not. Right after I make the choice again, the game crashes. I try again; it crashes again.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Edit: Third time's the charm! This isn't instilling me with a lot of confidence in their new framework.

It's been reported, so yeah.
http://redthreadgames.com/forum/topic/2452-for-me-at-least-the-game-crashes-at-last-decision-at-the-end-of-book-3/#entry108760

RTG say it's a Steam overlay related issue, and one solution so far is pretty much what you tried. Third time being the charm.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Joda posted:

Why the gently caress do they still have stealth sections? They clearly either don't have the tools or expertise to make them interesting, so why are they even trying?

Seriously???

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe

CharlesM posted:

Seriously???

Yes, seriously. Granted, it was nowhere near as awful as the one where you had to blow up the weapons shipment, and were constantly interrupted by a guard when trying to analyse the puzzle.

If it's not obvious I'm talking mostly about the part where you had to go back for the spyglass to lure the code. They put in an invisible wall so you couldn't hide behind the door when it opens, and while the guard consistently never looks to his right when you're NOT hiding there to slip through, he grows eyes in the back of his head specifically to spot you there. It's obvious this was designed to enforce one and only one solution, but good stealth design tends to revolve around the player analysing patterns, constructing a plan and executing it. Then there's the guard at the top of the tower who also has eyes in the back of his head, so contrary to mechanics introduced at the end of book 3, you can't actually knock him out. The worst part is, allowing alternative solutions to both of these would have no impact on the narrative at all.

Don't get me wrong, I actually really liked this episode, but sections like those take me right out of the experience because I'm suddenly painfully aware that "hey, there's a designer involved here who wants his/her puzzles solved like this!" Imo, a good designer is invisible to the player.

Joda fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 4, 2015

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Episode 4 continues the tradition of shirking subtlety and nuance. I understand the game's low budget, but that doesn't excuse poor writing.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 4, 2015

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
I really wish they had dropped the Kian character after Dreamfall. Dude is just a dull pill who has the most tedious sections in the series. I think Chapters would have been a lot better if they just focused on Zoe and advance the story through her rather than just continual reinforcement of the Azadi=Nazis analogy that are the Kian sections.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Hank Morgan posted:

I really wish they had dropped the Kian character after Dreamfall. Dude is just a dull pill who has the most tedious sections in the series. I think Chapters would have been a lot better if they just focused on Zoe and advance the story through her rather than just continual reinforcement of the Azadi=Nazis analogy that are the Kian sections.

Mostly agreed, though I do think that some of the characters he interacts with are pretty worthwhile, and there were some cool events he was connected to.

His relationship with blue-face guy is pretty interesting.

I think the main issue is that his character arc is pretty much played out.

Kian in Dreamfall was ok since it was only 10% of the game. This time it feels like half of it.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I have a really hard time caring about any of these characters. Baba Yaga was pretty cool but this episode has been a sleeping aid so far.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Renoistic posted:

I have a really hard time caring about any of these characters. Baba Yaga was pretty cool but this episode has been a sleeping aid so far.
Agreed. The character and related section you spoiled's been the most interesting part of Chapters, and gave me the feeling I loved so much about TLJ.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 5, 2015

Jarnet
Jan 7, 2007

BEN LIVES :neckbeard::neckbeard::neckbeard::neckbeard::neckbeard:

Edit: Just finished my canon playthrough book four and I have so many questions. Which decisions give you secrets for the Yaga? If Zoe wakes up immediately after merging with Lux, isn't that... bad?? What is the implication of her taking duties as Dreamer? Why do some decisions still refuse to register properly, and I don't notice until the end of book recap? :suicide:

Jarnet fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Dec 6, 2015

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I'm at chapter 11 now. I hope Enu is dead after the attack on the rebels but have a feeling that hope will be dashed. Annoying little poo poo.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Neurosis posted:

I'm at chapter 11 now. I hope Enu is dead after the attack on the rebels but have a feeling that hope will be dashed. Annoying little poo poo.

Ending spoilers. Depending on one of you decisions she will either live or die. I chose wrongly and she made it :( At least this probably means her role in the last ep will be minimal. It's almost sad how much the devs want the player to like her, and how badly they missed the mark.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Yeah I finished it and saw that. I made the right choice, gently caress yeah. You were a casualty in a good cause, Na'ane.

They really did miss the mark as you say. They had both Zoe and Kian mention how much they like Enu as part of their internal observations, which just made me groan. C.f. Crow who no one needs to say they like because he is self evidently cool and likable.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I wanted to finally get around to playing Book 4 but GOG installs the 32-bit version!! :facepalm:

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just finished Book 4, and did not expect things to get that dark. The Azadi have an honest-to-god concentration camp and are vivisecting Bip right in front of you! Baba Yaga was very cool, though. Definitely the best thing since the original TLJ. Really wanting to know what Zoe waking up like that means for the people and places in the game.

A few screenshots of Book 5 here. Probable spoilers for some characters and locations.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/redthread/dreamfall-chapters-the-longest-journey/posts/1540510

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Any news lately?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The Longest Journey is waiting for Book 5. I'm going to need a "previously on" when I finally play it. Release date to be announced by Friday.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/redthread/dreamfall-chapters-the-longest-journey/posts/1593213
I hope the purple gorilla is back :)

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe
I wonder how long the chapter's gonna be to bring everything to their conclusions. I don't think they've answered one question i had after Dreamfall yet.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I expect you should be prepared to curse the name Ragnar Tornquist, then.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I fear this series will end like Lost.

Hm...I don't have a good resolution to any of the mysteries in the first five seasons...so in seasons six I'll make some new ones and solve them so people will be tricked into feeling like they have closure long enough for the entertainment news cycle to move on! Also...god!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I actually believe Ragnar Tornquist really does know what he's doing. I just doubt the story is going to end here.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Book 5 release date was just announced as June 17. (Next Friday)

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

CharlesM posted:

I actually believe Ragnar Tornquist really does know what he's doing. I just doubt the story is going to end here.
I just hope whatever he has for Chapters wraps up well. Maybe it's that the episode seem so far and inbetween but I feel like we're just at the halfway point for the game at the episode 4's end.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
He's going to need the mother of all cliffhangers (or less likely, an actual good ending) to get me to buy another of his games. The episodes have been extremely underwhelming overall.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
About the only thing that would excite me about the ending of Chapters would be a reveal of a still living April Ryan.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hank Morgan posted:

About the only thing that would excite me about the ending of Chapters would be a reveal of a still living April Ryan.

Isn't Saga April reborn? Like the whole "Save April Ryan" thing Faith was talking about in Dreamfall still hasn't come to any kind of fruition.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Hank Morgan posted:

Wait, April is dead? The last things she did in Dreamfall was fall off a pier and shift. So I've been assuming she alive all this time.

But seriously don't expect anything about April in chapters they been pretty open that it's not her story, wait a few years them to finish Draugen and hope for a second chance at TLJ Home.

Maybe it works better as a single game whenever they go back and adjust the earlier chapters, but I've been getting less and less interested in Chapters as it got along, though I'm still playing them as they are released..

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Hel posted:

Wait, April is dead? The last things she did in Dreamfall was fall off a pier and shift. So I've been assuming she alive all this time.

But seriously don't expect anything about April in chapters they been pretty open that it's not her story, wait a few years them to finish Draugen and hope for a second chance at TLJ Home.

Maybe it works better as a single game whenever they go back and adjust the earlier chapters, but I've been getting less and less interested in Chapters as it got along, though I'm still playing them as they are released..
I think the game deserves a replay from start to finish after the last episode comes out.

But honestly the only thing I'm not a fan of is the choice making because honestly that was never really in the DNA of the series. It was a straight linear story, so I don't really know how adding choices to it really adds much besides it's just the way adventure games have gone in the past half decade since Dreamfall came out (or longer, I swear). Or maybe, again, the episodes release so far and inbetween I forget my choices to begin with.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hel posted:

Wait, April is dead?

The first thing they showed us in Chapters was her funeral. So yes. I still feel like it was a lovely, unceremonious way to kill her.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Joda posted:

The first thing they showed us in Chapters was her funeral. So yes. I still feel like it was a lovely, unceremonious way to kill her.

Oh right, I keep forgetting that happened, because when I played it it didn't register because of the Dreamfall ending and the graphics upgrade kept me from recognizing the body as April and then it's never brought up again.

Sober posted:

I think the game deserves a replay from start to finish after the last episode comes out.

But honestly the only thing I'm not a fan of is the choice making because honestly that was never really in the DNA of the series. It was a straight linear story, so I don't really know how adding choices to it really adds much besides it's just the way adventure games have gone in the past half decade since Dreamfall came out (or longer, I swear). Or maybe, again, the episodes release so far and inbetween I forget my choices to begin with.

I don't know how to say it right but ,I like choices but am not a fan of them having these massive consequences, it feels like it suffers by having to split the effort/budget on multiple exclusive things instead of making the core good, it may work for The Witcher but Red Thread doesn't have the budget for it.

Also I'm not saying they are good but I actually like the adventure game moon logic puzzles, though Chapters having a more open world makes them a bit annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Teaser trailer here. Potential spoilers, etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlPYMW4OdIQ

It says "The Longest Journey Ends" so I guess they really will conclude it all?

• Locked thread