Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

CharlesM posted:

It says "The Longest Journey Ends" so I guess they really will conclude it all?

I take a different meaning.

What do you do when you finish a long journey? Begin The Longest Journey Home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice
Ragnar doesn't seem quite as optimistic though, judging from his twitter. There are some issues with licensing apparently:

https://twitter.com/ragso/status/741008032528801794

https://twitter.com/ragso/status/741630456316211200

Utritum fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jun 13, 2016

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Weird, considering he's so prominent at Funcom I figured Red Thread "getting the rights" was just a formality. Unless their financial troubles and all the nonsense that came with that shook stuff up.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
The tweet he links is gone. What did it say?

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice
I don't know either. I posted that particular tweet because it is the most specific Ragnar has been about the reasons why Home is stuck in limbo. He has mentioned that there are other reasons, but he is mostly vague about them: http://redthreadgames.com/forum/topic/83-what-has-rtg-been-up-to-rtg-social-media-news-discussion-thread/page-160#entry128687

Ragnar on the Red Thread Forum posted:

We dearly love this saga, and our fans, and wrapping up Chapters has been an emotional experience for all of us. It's satisfying but heartbreaking, and part of me would love to jump right into TLJH to tell a personal and soulful story about a character I care deeply about…but for many, many reasons I don't think it will happen.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Jsor posted:

Weird, considering he's so prominent at Funcom I figured Red Thread "getting the rights" was just a formality. Unless their financial troubles and all the nonsense that came with that shook stuff up.

He was prominent. Then he left the company.

I suspect they gave him the rights because they were doing so badly at the time. Now they got a big chunk of money, so they can afford to be dicks again.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Funcom got money? What for? That Lego crap I forgot the details about?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Megazver posted:

He was prominent. Then he left the company.

I suspect they gave him the rights because they were doing so badly at the time. Now they got a big chunk of money, so they can afford to be dicks again.

Isn't he co-employed at both? I thought he was still a creative director for TSW at Funcom.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Utritum posted:

I don't know either. I posted that particular tweet because it is the most specific Ragnar has been about the reasons why Home is stuck in limbo. He has mentioned that there are other reasons, but he is mostly vague about them: http://redthreadgames.com/forum/topic/83-what-has-rtg-been-up-to-rtg-social-media-news-discussion-thread/page-160#entry128687

What the gently caress :smith:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Don't download v5.0.1, apparently it won't load saves! lol. v5.0.3 is supposed to be the fix.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

CharlesM posted:

Don't download v5.0.1, apparently it won't load saves! lol. v5.0.3 is supposed to be the fix.

Yeah, I got this bug, before I read the news on the Steam discussion board. The game got stuck in the loading screen. So I terminated it and started over, this time for a new playthrough. That worked ok, and at least I got to see what they've changed in Chapter One... They made some changes to a few scenes and some early gameplay parts.... way easier but maybe a bit awkward.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
If you're a GOG user like me you have to use Galaxy to update to 5.0.3.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Well that was a final chapter, Plot wise it moved at a decent speed and they made sure to tie up a lot of loose ends with the last hour or so.
Puzzle wise it was mostly really simple with like three actual puzzles, though one of them was a return of the loving music puzzle from Dreamfall, except this time it immediately preceded with something that makes it's inclusion so much worse.

Overall it's the worst of the three games, it really suffered from having big sweeping choices, the characters that could be killed off or not picked don't really have much to do. Enu is explicitly split from the people that go on to have the big conversation, Ada hasn't been mentioned since a few episodes back, Wit and Mira are talked to and Wit has plot importance but neither have any lines and they don't even show up in person. Na'ane has no lines and only shows up in the timeskip epilogue, Reza says hi and that's it. This final episode has about as much speech lifted straight from Dreamfall as these characters put together.

Hel fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 18, 2016

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I still don't get who the red haired girl is. Anyway I'm really happy though. Yeah I'm not sure how much your decision making would have affected things but I can't tell without playing it differently.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

A thousand dollars well spent! Or maybe not. I hope the artbook is good.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 18, 2016

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
More than anything, I wanted a satisfying resolution to April's story, and it didn't happen. A couple brief appearances, a couple lines, then nothing.

Sigh.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Replacing the tiny tasting thimble with a huge tankard has to be one of the most ridiculous puzzle solutions yet. How could the merchant not notice that?

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SimonChris posted:

Replacing the tiny tasting thimble with a huge tankard has to be one of the most ridiculous puzzle solutions yet. How could the merchant not notice that?

That 'puzzle' (lol) took me ages to solve because I didn't think that could possibly be the solution, it was simply too stupid. At least making Kian drink the bird bath water was funny.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
They sure dumped a lot of plot in this episode. I'm glad they remembered to do so after just circling the drain in the previous episodes but unfortunately it just came across as a bit of a jumble.

Zoe pregnant by Reza (I assume)? What the hell. I dumped his sorry rear end in an earlier episode.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
The epilogue was really wonderful.

As someone who has been invested in this story for the past 15 years, I'm quite satisfied :)

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hank Morgan posted:

Zoe pregnant by Reza (I assume)? What the hell. I dumped his sorry rear end in an earlier episode.

They allowed for that change in the story by not actually showing you who the father is, Zoe just says hi to them but no name. The achievement you get for that part of the game is 'Baby Papa' with the text 'we'll never tell' or something like that, so the idea is meant to be that the father could be anybody.

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.

theblackw0lf posted:

The epilogue was really wonderful.

As someone who has been invested in this story for the past 15 years, I'm quite satisfied :)

Same here, though I only just got into this game last year. Played TLJ before the release of Book 5 though, and the epilogue still brought me a sense of nostalgia.

Though I am so disappointed that we didn't get to see what Kian, Likho, Saga, and Crow (II?) were up to between the end and the epilogue. I already want a new game with those guys!

Also how did your decision to flirt/not flirt with the therapist affect the story? It never seemed to come up again.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Make sure you click on all the items in the epilogue multiple times. They reveal a lot of information

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Finished this tonight, after playing the orignial TLJ when it first came out, however many years ago that was.

I enjoyed the ending! I think it actually managed to satisfy, despite leaving plot threads open for The Longest Journey Home which evidently is sadly in limbo. The stuff that was introduced and unresolved in Dreamfall actually came to a conclusion. It feels like Dreamfall Chapters was more along the lines of a Visual Novel, which I'm okay with. I let myself sink into it and enjoy it rather than get annoyed that the gameplay/puzzles were pretty sparse.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
This game gets an 'ok' from me with the caveat that it's made solely for people already invested in the lore. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else. I do love the atmosphere of the epilogue section. It managed to capture the magic that made me stick with this series.

I won't buy any sequels they might come up with though, since everything about the gameplay, animations, puzzles and dialogue ranged from mediocre to bad. It felt like 70% of the game was exposition. The wine puzzle might be in my top 5 list of worst adventure puzzles. Everything about the setup, objective and solution was plain stupid. The solution might have worked in a game like Monkey Island or Sam & Max, not in a "realistic" setting. Also, the fact that it was raining heavily made the whole scene even more absurd.

So, do you think they intended for April to be replaced by Saga from the beginning, or did they just mess up by killing her in Dreamfall, and created Saga just so they could end the game with her and crow 2.0 living together? It's been like ten years since I played the two previous games - are Saga's parents completely new characters for Chapters?

EDIT: I did like the implication that Zoe's mom was in fact the "goddess".

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jun 19, 2016

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Renoistic posted:

So, do you think they intended for April to be replaced by Saga from the beginning, or did they just mess up by killing her in Dreamfall, and created Saga just so they could end the game with her and crow 2.0 living together? It's been like ten years since I played the two previous games - are Saga's parents completely new characters for Chapters?

IIRC The model for Lady Alvane in TLJ is named "Old April" or something, so it might originally have been just April & Crow, but with the rebirth/reincarnation thing with the dragons already established it might not have been that April and considering April wasn't really dead until DF:C I don't know. Personally I think it was originally supposed to be just Old April, but I'm not sure when it changed, I don't believe for a second they had the entire trilogy planned out when writing the first game.

Yeah, Saga and her parents are new for Chapters, which is IMO a bit of a problem, since they only interact with each other and then 2 of them disappear so I didn't feel like saga was built up enough for me to actually care about her. I doesn't help that we also only see snapshots of her as she grows up, if I'm reading the VO credits correctly she's 35 when we play as her in the final episode. ~5 Snapshots over 35years isn't really a good way to build up a character especially when a lot of it is taken up with busywork puzzles, and her being a literal child. Maybe I'm a bit unfair since the other main characters have had 1-2 games to establish themselves, but it feels like they needed her at the end but didn't want her to look like an asspull when she showed up so they did the bare minimum to establish her.

Jarnet
Jan 7, 2007

Ragnar posted:

I didn't name those resources! And whoever did was probably not privy to the continuation of the story. I also know that in some translations of TLJ, the character was explicitly identified as April, but that's a mistranslation or misinterpretation.

I can't find a link straight to post on mobile, but here's the thread that was in.
http://redthreadgames.com/forum/topic/418-lady-alvane/

Also, I really liked Saga and the whole mystery surrounding the House Between Worlds. I thought the epilogue was perfect.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Jarnet posted:

Also, I really liked Saga and the whole mystery surrounding the House Between Worlds. I thought the epilogue was perfect.

For me those things were by far the best/most interesting parts of the game, followed by Baba Yaga.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Hel posted:

Yeah, Saga and her parents are new for Chapters, which is IMO a bit of a problem, since they only interact with each other and then 2 of them disappear so I didn't feel like saga was built up enough for me to actually care about her. I doesn't help that we also only see snapshots of her as she grows up, if I'm reading the VO credits correctly she's 35 when we play as her in the final episode. ~5 Snapshots over 35years isn't really a good way to build up a character especially when a lot of it is taken up with busywork puzzles, and her being a literal child. Maybe I'm a bit unfair since the other main characters have had 1-2 games to establish themselves, but it feels like they needed her at the end but didn't want her to look like an asspull when she showed up so they did the bare minimum to establish her.

If it wasn't for the fact that we saw Saga's mother in Episodes 1 & 2 I'd be probably convinced that Saga was Zoe's daughter

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
For some reason, I thought Saga's dad was Brian Westhouse. I was very confused later on.

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SimonChris posted:

A thousand dollars well spent! Or maybe not. I hope the artbook is good.

:lol:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Oh hey, it's buzzcut Edward Snowden.

Now the story makes complete sense! :downsrim:

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I bought this on the Gog sale. Although reception seems mixed, I'm really looking forward to trying it out. Question is, would it be a good idea to replay Dreamfall first or does Chapters have a good recap?

I'm a bit curious how I would feel going through Dreamfall again but I'm also kinda dreading it. TLJ wasn't as good as I remembered it and I didn't really enjoy Dreamfall to begin with back then.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I bought this on the Gog sale. Although reception seems mixed, I'm really looking forward to trying it out. Question is, would it be a good idea to replay Dreamfall first or does Chapters have a good recap?

I'm a bit curious how I would feel going through Dreamfall again but I'm also kinda dreading it. TLJ wasn't as good as I remembered it and I didn't really enjoy Dreamfall to begin with back then.

Replay Dreamfall. The recap is like a 1 minute video.

They promised an interactive recap sequence as part of their Kickstarter but it has yet to materialize.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I assume everyone in this thread already has the game, if not I have a key from the GOG sale left. Send me a PM (or post your e-mail if you're e-poor I guess). gone

orcane fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 21, 2016

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Well gently caress me. Recently upgraded to an SSD, and apparently Chapters doesn't use the Steam cloud. Guess I gotta play through the entire loving thing again.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Joda posted:

Well gently caress me. Recently upgraded to an SSD, and apparently Chapters doesn't use the Steam cloud. Guess I gotta play through the entire loving thing again.

It does support Cloud, unless they botched this with some recent patch or the 5th chapter update (?) .
But iirc, at least for me, I had to load the game once, exit it and re-launch it to get the Cloud saves.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

AbstractNapper posted:

It does support Cloud, unless they botched this with some recent patch or the 5th chapter update (?) .
But iirc, at least for me, I had to load the game once, exit it and re-launch it to get the Cloud saves.

I tried starting it again, still can't continue. Maybe the new email thing hosed it up somehow?

E: Cloud sync works now, but apparently all that's there is from Book 1. It was disabled in the preferences for some reason, so I guess my save data is lost after all. I'm like 99% sure I didn't disable cloud saving. I did do some testing in the Linux client at some point, and I'm pretty sure these saves are from then, so maybe that somehow hosed up the cloud storage in some way.

Joda fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 21, 2016

Hierophant
Oct 21, 2007
I had to verify my email, and then quit and restart, and then my cloud saves showed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

macnbc posted:

Replay Dreamfall. The recap is like a 1 minute video.

They promised an interactive recap sequence as part of their Kickstarter but it has yet to materialize.

Ok, this game is on six CD-ROMs. Was not expecting that. Also, I've forgotten how to do a backslash for creating new folders when installing.

This better run on Win10, I'm not buying it on Gog now that the sale is over.

• Locked thread