Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I think we should look into splitting the head of state/head of government like they do in the UK and the Commonwealth. That way, we could elect Biden to the figure head role he's so good at while letting the president get on with running the government.

Biden for King '16

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

There are several interesting ways to muck around on this. For anyone who sends an absentee ballot form, you mail it in for them/you oops it. For close elections, you mail it in for them and if they're not a likely yourteam voter, you oops the mailing in so they don't receive a ballot in time and contest their physical ballot during counting.

You object; it gets noted. When an election judge asks for substantiation, you show the individual requested an absentee ballot and you get their physical ballot discarded.

How is this remotely legal? Shouldn't the form to request an absentee ballot go to the county registrar or whatever office handles the voter rolls?

I can see parties mailing forms to voters, but collecting completed forms? Shady as gently caress.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Sex ed was a low drama event in my recollection. Mostly memorization or anatomical names for the quiz.

Recently however, in my beautiful state, sex ed has become a huge deal because it mentions anal sex and some other things adults are uncomfortable with.

http://www.cds.hawaii.edu/ponochoices/faq/

The Christians are crawling out of tge woodwork.

http://www.stopp.org/article.php?id=12560

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Cheekio posted:

I thought only half of adults were uncomfortable with anal sex.

If only they'd just relax a little.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Khisanth Magus posted:

I more have a problem with the fact that I actually don't enjoy the smell of weed burning(better than cigarettes, but what isn't) and the college kids across the hall at my old condo building would regularly have the hallway smelling strongly of it.

I don't know what it is, but I've always like the smell of second hand smoke. It's the residual funk that clings to clothes and walls that bothers me. I don't know why those are different.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Amergin posted:

South Carolina sex ed was had in the bathroom at the local Waffle House.

North Carolina otoh...

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I saw this first on facebook by an army friend saying "see libs? It was there all along!"

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Ok sweater vests are R, hoodies are D. Can I get a ruling on cardigans? I'm thinking lean D depending on the amount of irony with which you wear them.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Chamale posted:

Wikileaks revealed this information years ago, but at that time the Republicans weren't dumb enough to touch it. Saddam did have weapons of mass destruction, because the US gave them to him, and the military actively covered it up after finding them because Bush thought it would be embarrassing to announce finding those stockpiled weapons.

Ctrl-f "yellowcake"

0 results.

Huh, sorry about that guys. *uninvades*

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Is this an appropriate thread to ask why the hell the stock market has dropped 1000 points this week?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

InequalityGodzilla posted:

I actually had a thought that a suicide bomber with ebola could be pretty effective. It spreads through bodily fluids and blowing yourself into chunky salsa is a pretty good way to spread your fluids around...

If I could blow myself, I'd be much less likely to want to kill myself.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Chantilly Say posted:

Oh, boy! A whole third!

3/5ths too optimistic?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

smg77 posted:

I hope Obama finally learned his lesson on negotiating over the debt ceiling. The shutdown ended up making the Republicans look worse than the president.

As for impeachment, even if they control the senate they won't have enough votes to actually convict so it would just be more bad publicity for them if they went down that route.

Made them look so bad they're likely to take both houses of congress.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

You seem to think the F-35 is a defense project. Its not. Its a politically acceptable national jobs program.

On a serious note for a second, is there a study about the multiplier effect of defense spending vs other projects in terms of benefit to the economy? My first hypothesis would be that there would be some benefit to the need to stick to domestic vendors vs outsourced foreign goods and services....?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Zeroisanumber posted:

Reagan also nominated Robert Bork to SCOTUS, and Bork was a frothing religious lunatic.

Bork wasn't offered the seat just for his religiosity:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/bork-nixon-offered-me-scotus-seat-for-firing-archibald-cox

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I don't agree with the author.

"It wasn’t the KKK that wrote the slave codes. It wasn’t the armed vigilantes who conceived of convict leasing, postemancipation. It wasn’t hooded men who purposefully left black people out of New Deal legislation"

It was in fact the Klan doing those things. The Klan *were* the respectable members of society. In some places, you practically had to be in the klan to get anywhere in the local white society. That we think of the klan as redneck yokels only speaks to the success of anti-klan forces to de-legitimatize the klan.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

As a Florida resident, I firmly believe that the only reason to own a handgun is because you're afraid of minorities.

Because of this, I own 40 of them

...and how many guns?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Shageletic posted:

I'm at least six pages behind, but this sentence is breath-taking.

Jesus, how can a person think like that?!

Keeping someone out of the fire and brimstone of Christian hell is the most compassion act a person can do.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

GreyPowerVan posted:

http://whnt.com/2014/10/23/what-you-need-to-know-about-getting-alabamas-new-star-i-d/

More things to gently caress over poor people in Alabama, I love my state.

I'm mostly thinking that a poorer person couldn't afford to go get extra copies of SS card or birth certificate if lost. Also, I think current drivers license are cheaper than the amount for this STAR Id.

I found the application form:

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

comes along bort posted:

They weren't expecting the extent and depth of the white backlash to the civil rights (and to a much lesser extent labor) movement, how thoroughly and easily Republicans took advantage of it, and have been afraid of rocking the boat too hard ever since.

Seems kinda obvious in retrospect, but :shrug:

This and Reagan. Reagan peeled off lots of white democrats and murdered unions. It's a tightrope for establishment democrats to hang on to waning constituencies while expanding the tent to minority ethnic groups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

twodot posted:

The government will definitely not confiscate your car if your license expires or is suspended,

They definitely will if you're operating with a suspended license, and the registration and safety items are often a reason for police to initiate contact with poor people. Cops don't call them warrant wagons for nothing.

Not just cars either. You can spot the people of probation because they're the ones most conspicuously riding their bikes with lights and helmets.

• Locked thread