Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Pohl posted:

Why is Nate Silver loving with Sam Wang? This is a small world etc, but what the hell is Silver trying to accomplish?

His site is under fire from ESPN for not doing so well plus Wang nitpicked a few things about him in a book review ages ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Star Man posted:

I look forward to the day that a full-blooded Native American gets elected president. The conspiracy theories about some kind of take over of the country in an act of revenge will be amazing.

Elizabeth Warren 2016!

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
That's part of a whole series on rampant fraud and abuse in the construction industry:

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/static/features/Contract-to-cheat/

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

FilthyImp posted:

Hey man, in that Romney doc, Matt Tagg Mutt Trick That One Romney gets all defensive because it's for her therapy, man!

(Nevermind that a $80k therapyhorse is unattainable for the proles)

Just like the car elevator!

Don't talk poo poo about Dr. Rafalca or Tuggjob will mean mug you to death.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Paul Ryan's office staff appears to spend their days pulling law references.

Hi, I'm Paul Ryan. You might remember me from public humiliation events such as the 2012 Vice Presidential debate. Do you owe years worth of back taxes due to an over-encroaching government? Are your wages being garnished because of Obama's IRS thugs?

Call the law offices of Doofus, Putz, and Dickwad today for a free consultation.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, "I have a shot at winning this race. Thom Tillis does not." ~ Sean Haugh, Libertarian candidate for Senate, North Carolina.

Local scuttlebutt is the NCGOP are getting a little worried that Tillis is starting to become a drag on the rest of the ticket so Haugh might not be too far off the mark there.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

DeathSandwich posted:

Is this what it's like in swing states during presidential elections?

In North Carolina it's been nonstop since last year. Count your blessings.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

On the other hand, this is what you have to watch in states with one party rule.

True. On the other other hand you don't get to experience this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDtnsjqPlOA

Nor the requisite Andy Griffith and Dean Smith spots for Democrats. Of course one's dead and the other's got Alzheimer's now so that's not happening ever again.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ReindeerF posted:

Is Georgia finally going to expel its Jews?

Pretty sure David Cross left like 30 years ago.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ReindeerF posted:

If he showed up to wash his Camaro in your yard, no Real American would turn their backs.

I'd ask if he preferred Whitesnake or Ratt on the tape deck.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Joe's slipping; he's not double fisting any more. Will age be a factor in his presidential campaign?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Reagan was only a relatively weak president who let Bush 1, Donald Regan, et. al. have complete run of the place because he was in the early stages of dementia a couple years into his first term and didn't have the cognitive faculties or energy to keep up with poo poo. But anyone who followed his career in California politics can tell you when he was still all there he played the game as good as anyone.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Y-Hat posted:

Wasn't he already exhibiting the early stages of Alzheimer's in his 1980 presidential run? At least that's according to my dad, who did a lot of diagnoses of dementia in his day (he was a neurologist).

His real son said he first started noticing something was wrong around 83.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Mr Interweb posted:

Local governments can do that?

In the south it's very common, though some states have more restrictive laws than others. Republicans have only recently caught on to the notion that they don't want their exurban enclaves paying city taxes so "those people" can have services they don't get to share in as well. The vast majority of the time it's developers getting cities to extend municipal utilities out to new tracts as they're built.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 12, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Trabisnikof posted:

To be fair, Houston isn't exactly a good example since Katy, Clear Lake et al exist to be suburban exclaves that aren't ruled by a Black lesbian.

Well yeah it's mostly limited in application to undeveloped or soon to be developed areas, not established towns in their own right, with a few exceptions like Atlanta's annexation of Buckhead.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

RuanGacho posted:

Most jurisdictions don't allow cities to just reach out and arbitrarily annex a location because of politics. It's the least political process I've seen in local government.

Yeah involuntary annexation is a rare thing and IIRC only a handful of states even allow it. NC's the only one I have any real familiarity with, and their laws are arguably the least restrictive in the country. Even still it's extremely uncommon, and pretty much only done as neighborhoods get large enough that they need municipal services anyway in order to keep municipal and county insurance costs down.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Aliquid posted:

So how does involuntary annexation work? Here in the Austin 'burbs, it's a series of patchwork MUDs and a constant battle between democratic forces one way or the other with lots of signs for annexation meetings every few months.

The specifics and requirements vary from state to state but generally a municipality's governing body votes on and issues a resolution or ordinance stating their intent to annex such and such area, and then there's a public notification and response period (which by the way, support your local newspapers because that's where public notices are published and you learn all sorts of poo poo from those) and in some states a public vote is held. It's not like a surprise where all of a sudden trucks show up to dig sewer lines and build police stations. The whole process usually takes a year or so minimum.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Grundulum posted:

On the other hand, the NC GOP sent me an absentee ballot request form. I am not registered Republican. Thanks? (I don't remember any stories about voter intimidation happening in NC, though I may certainly be wrong.)

The only absentee ballot you should be filling out is one that came from the board of elections in the county you're voting in that you requested yourself. The NCSBE website has a voter lookup to see when your ballot was returned and scanned in i.e. your vote was counted.

Grundulum posted:

I guess I just don't understand how Boards of Election work, then. I assumed that they would be non-partisan in nature. Are BoEs routinely staffed with people who "forget" to file forms from opposing parties, and wouldn't this behavior get noticed?

In NC the chair of each county board is elected but the governor gets to appoint the other members, so each county right now has a Republican majority which has led to shenanigans like closing voting sites on college campuses and packing 10,000 people into a single precinct in towns with only 20,000 people.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

VanSandman posted:

Is wanting to hit Hannity until my fists are mere nubs on my wrists the normal response?

I just want to forcibly dye his eyebrows.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

My Imaginary GF posted:

With abortion/evolution, you identify the issues as evidence-based when current neoconservative proposals are held up ny the ethical tent of thr Republican party. The evidence-based conservative policy is legalized abortion with appropriate regulation; however, ethical considerations override evidence on this issue. With evolution, its more an identity issue with a moral framework through which to view the world.

Abortion's an identity issue as well; it's a stand-in for segregation.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Evil Fluffy posted:

You have about 2 weeks to stock up on alcohol to drown your sorrows when the GOP takes over the senate and ensures the last 2 years of Obama's president get nothing done that isn't sent down from on high by the GOP handlers.

That's not a huge shift from the status quo. On the bright side the 2016 primary clown car will start filling up in a few weeks.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Sir Tonk posted:

Oh and this ad was on the Sunday talk shows earlier today. It is rather insufferable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2k0hm01qWU

Why is every Republican ad featuring a woman always set in a kitchen?

that's a rhetorical question

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Gaussian posted:

I know I might be touching the poop, but should I even respond to this and if so, how?

You agree, a national photo ID card which doubles as a DL and passport should be available to everyone free of charge and the FICA cap should be removed and cap gains taxed at the normal income rate to pay for it. As LBJ taught us, the trick is to whip out your cock to show dominance.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Raskolnikov38 posted:

We could pull an Israeli settlement type thing where the good/minority parts are 'federal' property and the neo-confederates get to keep their trailer parks.

Unfortunately for that plan a lot of the trailer park areas are where the blacks live. And increasingly Hispanics.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

joeburz posted:

Someone on NPR last night was bringing this up, IIRC it's trying to pull votes away from the Dem candidate but I haven't been following closely.

Pretty much. He's still polling somewhere around 5%, which is ridiculously high, and considering he'll finish with about 1.5% of the vote tops and registered Libertarians make up about a third of a percent of NC voters, there's reason to worry where he's pulling crossover support from, even if it is only 60-70,000 votes.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

VanSandman posted:

Hmmm. I was under the impression he was mainly pulling from Republicans, and that was one of the reasons that fucker Thillis wasn't doing so well.

Well yeah that's why a Republican PAC is running ads targeting who they think Democratic voters are.

Tillis is doing as well as he is because with the exception of his first primary running for state house, he's never actually faced an opponent in an election, and barely made it past the runoff threshold in the senate primary this year. If there hadn't been nearly a dozen various nutbars running for the GOP nomination to dilute the rube vote, he might not have even gotten that far.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

nutranurse posted:

Lobster isn't that great though. Now CRABS, man it's nice living in MD for those. Too bad I don't eat meat anymore. :shrug:

Unless you harvested them yourself pretty much all the crab in MD is imported. :ssh:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Even assuming they flipped every single Senate seat up for grabs this year, they'd still be short of a veto-proof majority, so no nothing would change if they get the Senate back apart from Obama not being able to get judicial nominations through, but Republicans have been using a parliamentary procedure called blue slips to block nominees anyway.

e: of course that's assuming Obama actually uses the veto

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dystram posted:

Anyone have an answer as to why democrats are such wimpy cunts?

They weren't expecting the extent and depth of the white backlash to the civil rights (and to a much lesser extent labor) movement, how thoroughly and easily Republicans took advantage of it, and have been afraid of rocking the boat too hard ever since.

Seems kinda obvious in retrospect, but :shrug:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Look up your local nursing homes here, mark down the ones rated 1 star, then take your mom on a tour. Tell her that's where she's gonna end up if she doesn't cut the poo poo.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Samurai Sanders posted:

But anyway, that's still beside my point. Between the 80s and now, Hollywood action movies have shifted away from street thugs being the villains, and towards foreign terrorists and stuff. I THOUGHT that was done in response to Americans realizing that street thugs weren't going to drive the country to ruin or anything, but apparently many people still think that.

That's more because the Pentagon staffers who tell Hollywood what to write in exchange for getting to use military equipment as props pushed foreign terrorists as the bad guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

nutranurse posted:

Why. This is America. I know several people with assault rifles (tho I'm p. sure it's illegal), kevlar, and one of them is turning his basement into a fortified compound. We've got tons of gun crazies in this country, and we don't really seem all that interested in restricting their access to assault rifles, kevlar, and fortified bunkers.

Or in the case of someone like Wade Michael Page, they just ran their neonazi militia on an actual military base, while still in the service.

• Locked thread