Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

It's me. I'm the one who's only seen Wing, Seed/Destiny, 08th MS Team, the first half of 00, and ∀ (and a few episodes of original & G here and there). It's more Gundam than I'd realized before I typed it out, but I only have a vague idea of Newtypes as somehow more/better than human. Like, maybe they pilot mobile suits better or something?

So I guess Bell's freakout is related to some kind of psychic phenomenon?

quote:

"Newtypes are people capable of mutual understanding with no misconception who do this without ESP or the use of telepathy."

"Maybe you could call it enlightenment, although I don’t think it has anything to do with the enlightenment they talk about in eastern religions. I don’t have any personal experience with religious teachings or enlightenment, so I can’t compare or critique them."

"But to me, it doesn’t mean just partial understanding of another person. I’d call it total understanding. That person’s beliefs, their history, what they intend to do next… you understand all of those things as they take on a comprehensive shape."
- Amuro Ray; in interview shortly after One Year War
from Zeta Gundam novelization, by Yoshiyuki Tomino

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What a bunch of GITS and Morans.

The Venus guys are cops, and largely ceremonial ones. A big serious battle with particle beams everywhere is something utterly alien to them.

Also, I think I've managed to break down all the factions properly;
  • Venus Goverment - Backing the Megafauna with new toys and the Venus Police Mechs.
  • The G-IT Lab - Trying badly to kick off the Recongusita of Earth and backing the Capital Army. Pretty much see any Earthnoids as mindless savages.

Correction: The G-IT lab seem to be hitting it up with Masks Kuntala crew, going by their dialogue, not so much the Capital Army on the whole (or that's the way Mask is gonna push it, my guess).

As for recognizing mechs, there's a bunch that's pretty easily recognized:
Amerians:
Grimoire is the Bald ScopeDogAtlas with the Fist of the North Star moves from the early episodes (and Aidas lovers mech)
Hecate is the Pink Dom with the massive gattling gun
(Space) Jahannam is the NotZakuGouf that Klim and most Amerians pilots. There's a more primitive looking ground version that showed up for all of 1? episode and Bell piloted for 2 seconds.
The Montero is Klims old flying suit, but its shown up in grunt form (in space) too. Got wings and the Amerian Ball Cockpit.

Capital Guard/Army:
Wuxia: Big rear end back boosters, futuristic silver-blue look, yellow visor thingy, Beckers ride.
Recksnow&Recten: The toy-box thing the Guard used.
Catsith: First flight unit that shows up, kinda GM like and plain, semi-boxy appearance. Got shin-heat/beam blades and a flight pack.
Elf Bullock: Massive thing with finger lasers, Mask flew it.
Mack Knife: Funky Kung-fu suit with wicked moves, finger lasers and X-Wing flight-mode - also rear end missiles.

Towasanga:
All their poo poo got freaky long arms and weird sensors (eyes), or weird claw things for hands/legs (Zacks/Neodu)
Moran and El-Moran: look kinda Titan-like in design, anorectic Marasai/Gabthley. The Elmoran is the more purple one with the big leg and shoulder boosters, wields a massive bazooka.
Rockpies suit is named the Gaitrash because it looks like trash :v:

Venus Globe:
Poligit is the cop suit
Zansgatt is the suit with the Bishop-hat.

G-IT Labs:
!Z'Gocky!
Otherwise they are all rather distinctive looking (silhouettes) but they haven't gone around and repeated the MS names a bunch (like Venus Globe in general).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pimpmust posted:

Rockpies suit is named the Gaitrash because it looks like trash :v:

Rockpie's suit owned, shut your mouth.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Rockpie's suit owned, shut your mouth.

It was a murderous flying shower-curtain of doom.

Note that I am not contradicting your statement here.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I hope the Amerians win the war because they have the coolest looking mobile suits and :911:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mordja posted:

I hope the Amerians win the war because they have the coolest looking mobile suits and :911:

Why are you assuming this'll be a war with winners? :unsmigghh:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

We know from (ironically) Rockpie earlier that the term is still known but they seem to associate it with combat monsters.
So exactly the same way every single person in the universe, fictional or otherwise, not named Zeon Zum Deikun has recognized them.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
So basically everyone is going to start dying now?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

Well they've got to make up for lost time, considering how few main character deaths there have been. I wouldn't be surprised if we see some Game of Thrones-tier poo poo go down, because of how many factions there are with their own end goals.

Sharkopath posted:

The general consensus seems to favor Barara takes out the ship AIda's dad is on, so that's also where I put my money.

I'd put money on this too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Odds don't look good for anyone not named Aida, Bellri or Raraiya. Maybe not even the last of those.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

Odds don't look good for anyone not named Aida, Bellri or Raraiya. Maybe not even the last of those.

I'd wager Raraiya's safe, just for some kind of descendant tie-in with Loran Cehack.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Frankly I'm a little frightened for even Aida and Bellri's odds of getting through this.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Maybe I read the subtitles wrong, but did Aida's dad make a comment about her being Bellri's sibling that suggested it wasn't the case?

I figure he probably just doesn't know, but for a second I got a little concerned.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Maybe I read the subtitles wrong, but did Aida's dad make a comment about her being Bellri's sibling that suggested it wasn't the case?

I figure he probably just doesn't know, but for a second I got a little concerned.

No, he said that the history he got from the orphanage he adopted her from didn't match up with her having a sibling which... make sense because it isn't like Cumpa was going to put 'refugees from space colony' on their history.

I don't think there's any way around Aida and Bellri being siblings. They both have the Rayhunton Code and Cumpa seemed to know who they both were.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

No, he said that the history he got from the orphanage he adopted her from didn't match up with her having a sibling which... make sense because it isn't like Cumpa was going to put 'refugees from space colony' on their history.

I don't think there's any way around Aida and Bellri being siblings. They both have the Rayhunton Code and Cumpa seemed to know who they both were.

They actually confirmed it with a blood test while they were on the way to the Venus Globe.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They actually confirmed it with a blood test while they were on the way to the Venus Globe.

Oh right, I forgot about that. So, yeah, that plot point isn't getting walked back. It just means that her father didn't know the full Towasanga story. He just thought Aida was a regular adoptee.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

ImpAtom posted:

Oh right, I forgot about that. So, yeah, that plot point isn't getting walked back. It just means that her father didn't know the full Towasanga story. He just thought Aida was a regular adoptee.

Yeah, alright, that's what I thought. Still, years of anime had me hesitate for a sec and panic. So I wasn't crazy. This show leaves me alone to my own thoughts sometimes, which can be a bad thing as often as it is a good thing. Once you get a feel for the pace, it's easier to watch.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Entertainingly, TVTropes thinks that they aren't related as a result of the last episode, but them being kinda stupid isn't necessarily news.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Why would you go to tvtropes?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah, let's not bring TVTropes up if we don't have to. It's almost never worth it.

That being said, I do think it was an awkward line to have Aida's father say (Maybe it was just the translation). If you just think about it for a minute though, undoing the sibling twist would make that entire plotline a waste of time, and for all his flaws as a writer and director there's no way Tomino would do that.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It was a throwaway line to establish how out of the loop her father has become, but also how he still considers her his daughter and how she reciprocated the feelings.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Raxivace posted:

Yeah, let's not bring TVTropes up if we don't have to. It's almost never worth it.

That being said, I do think it was an awkward line to have Aida's father say (Maybe it was just the translation). If you just think about it for a minute though, undoing the sibling twist would make that entire plotline a waste of time, and for all his flaws as a writer and director there's no way Tomino would do that.

Motto posted:

Why would you go to tvtropes?

Sorry, I just found it funny. Anyways, I think he said it because he's personally in disbelief that his daughter is secretly space-royalty.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I'm ok with every scenario as long as Steer lives through it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'm just wondering where the hell the Salamandra's captain managed to get all those Mashner pics.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Blaze Dragon posted:

I thought the same, mostly because otherwise we all know Bellri's reaction to killing someone. "IF YOU HADN'T BEEN THERE YOU WOULDN'T HAVE DIED" or similar. His way of taking lives involves blaming the other party for dying, and for once he didn't do that.
Except that's pretty much a classic Tomino line, Kamille used that as a justification for killing Kacricorn. I guess Tomino still maintains the opinion that once you engage in any act of aggression your life is forfeit.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Mar 7, 2015

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
Pretty cool episode. I am getting a bit confused on which ships belong to which factions though.

Lostconfused posted:

Except that's pretty much a classic Tomino line, Kamille used that as a justification for killing Kacricorn. I guess Tomino still maintains the opinion that once you engage in any act of aggression your life is forfeit.

Well, they are professional soldiers, "May die during battles" is part of the job description. It also doesn't make sense for Bellri to not retaliate non-fatally if his skill as a pilot aren't that good for him to do so.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

sunburnedcrow posted:

Pretty cool episode. I am getting a bit confused on which ships belong to which factions though.

Well, they are professional soldiers, "May die during battles" is part of the job description. It also doesn't make sense for Bellri to not retaliate non-fatally if his skill as a pilot aren't that good for him to do so.

If it's yellow/purple and named after a snake it's Amerian. The greener ones are Dorette's and the Blue and new white one is the Capital Army.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm just wondering where the hell the Salamandra's captain managed to get all those Mashner pics.

They were all over Rockpie's Space-Facebook.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Man, Bandai better make those coffin bits.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
That kind of thing screams web exclusive.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

On the other hand, it has been rather odd that the Hecate hasn't had a kit released yet. The extra gear would explain it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ignoring the Engrish, this is a pretty useful thing.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Web exclusive meaning Japan only/Japan addresses only? Sorry, I'm still new to gunpla stuff.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

dogsicle posted:

Web exclusive meaning Japan only/Japan addresses only? Sorry, I'm still new to gunpla stuff.

Web exclusive means it's exclusive to Bandai's online shop/online shops like GG Infinite, usually at a premium. Usually it's stuff like Strike Rouge Ootori Kira Yamato Colors, but occasionally there's some great stuff like the Moonlight Butterfly set for the HGCC Turn A and the Seraphim Feather stand for the RG Wing Zero Custom.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

TARDISman posted:

Web exclusive means it's exclusive to Bandai's online shop/online shops like GG Infinite, usually at a premium. Usually it's stuff like Strike Rouge Ootori Kira Yamato Colors, but occasionally there's some great stuff like the Moonlight Butterfly set for the HGCC Turn A and the Seraphim Feather stand for the RG Wing Zero Custom.

It also means they only get one or a couple batches, essentially making them limited edition.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Ignoring the Engrish, this is a pretty useful thing.

I like Schordian Religion though.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

TARDISman posted:

Ah, thanks. My only worry was it being something that required a buying service, but exclusives just being expensive LEs doesn't sound bad. I just hope G-Reco gets more kits, since there are like five suits I still want aside from the Hecate and already released ones.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

dogsicle posted:

Ah, thanks. My only worry was it being something that required a buying service, but exclusives just being expensive LEs doesn't sound bad. I just hope G-Reco gets more kits, since there are like five suits I still want aside from the Hecate and already released ones.

It also requires a buying service.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Or one of many sellers who also sell the p-bandai exclusives at markup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

My HG Turn A ran me about 45 bucks thanks to the Moonlight Butterfly, it's the most I've ever spent on an HG, but it was definitely worth it, thing is a work of art.

• Locked thread