Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Poison Mushroom posted:

It's like a water level, but somehow even worse.

Which of the fields so you think is dust 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

Which of the fields so you think is dust 2?

Side 7.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

What is the no items, final destination, Fox only of gunpla battle? I'm guessing desert, Zaku IIs only.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chumbler posted:

What is the no items, final destination, Fox only of gunpla battle? I'm guessing desert, Zaku IIs only.

Final Destination is that weird bizarre psychic landscape Banagher and Full Frontal fought in. Nobody fights there because it's boring.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

chumbler posted:

Nah, the Zaku isn't 'top tier' enough. It'd probably be Desert, scratch-built Wing Zeros only.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

A lot of the fields shown in show woulent be any fun to play with just cause they're so flat and lack cover and clear areas of movement and containment.

With how bull powerful beams and snipers are there woukdnt be any reason to have a balanced team comp.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I want to fight in the Shipment analogue.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Every round id throw all my cracker grenades in the air and get like 2 kills.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Sharkopath posted:

A lot of the fields shown in show woulent be any fun to play with just cause they're so flat and lack cover and clear areas of movement and containment.

With how bull powerful beams and snipers are there woukdnt be any reason to have a balanced team comp.
Same maps over and over, lighthearted game with all the fun sucked out, way too many snipers...

Oh my God, it'd turn into Gundam TF2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There are so many obscure tricks in Gundam that you really can justify almost any sort of team comp. That's why it is kind of disappointing Try focuses so much on brute-force.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

There are so many obscure tricks in Gundam that you really can justify almost any sort of team comp. That's why it is kind of disappointing Try focuses so much on brute-force.

I wish somebody would make a gundam game that played as lethal as the show. Almost all of them will have you hit an enemy suit with like a four hit beekeeper combo and then it falls down ands turns invincible until wakeup.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Zeonic Front.

You don't know terror until your MS platoon is sent to recon a grounded White Base and the loving Guntank spots you, making them launch Gundam.

And then you get to watch Amuro slaughter your team. Counting as he downs each one....

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Speaking of Lucas and his Crossbone Full Cloth, did we ever figure out where the hell that "floating islands in the sky" battleground was from?

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

W.T. Fits posted:

Speaking of Lucas and his Crossbone Full Cloth, did we ever figure out where the hell that "floating islands in the sky" battleground was from?

It's clearly the Pokefloats analogue. Which means I have no idea. :v:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
If it's something weird, it's probably SD.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

We never saw the actual fight for Crossbone Full Cloth vs Team Zaku. This is truly the darkest season.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

nuru posted:

We never saw the actual fight for Crossbone Full Cloth vs Team Zaku. This is truly the darkest season.

My dream Build Fighters fight is the Renato Brothers vs. Tryon 3. I wanna see the realest real robot fight the superest super robot.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

boom boom boom posted:

Isn't the Gunpla's basic performance determined by build quality tho?

Which is a godawful handwave when you're pitting what's basically a stock kit against what's almost a scratch-build (which I still say they really shouldn't have done). All it says is that a stock-built is better with a little effort than a custom someone's poured their heart and effort into building from scratch, because there's no way to visually show why it's more powerful. The closest you get is that Lucas managed to get the Core Booster working at HG-scale (admittedly pretty neat), but aside from that its power level is "because the plot says so".

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
You know what would be a neat episode if there ever is a third season? If they do a tournament (in the vein of Season 1's World Championship, that is), have one of the preliminary rounds be "Okay, everyone gets an unopened 1/144 HG kit that they have an hour to assemble and then fight with in a 30 minute battle royal, anyone still standing at the end gets four points."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

W.T. Fits posted:

You know what would be a neat episode if there ever is a third season? If they do a tournament (in the vein of Season 1's World Championship, that is), have one of the preliminary rounds be "Okay, everyone gets an unopened 1/144 HG kit that they have an hour to assemble and then fight with in a 30 minute battle royal, anyone still standing at the end gets four points."

Yeah, that'd actually be pretty neat. I liked the round from the first season with the weapon roulette, even if it was a pretty blatant advertisement for the HGBC weapon packs :v:.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

I love having no cover and also now the movement ruleset is entirely different.

Yeehaw.

Sorry, but it sounds like your soul is weighed down by gravity. :smug:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Sorry, but it sounds like your soul is weighed down by gravity. :smug:

They took them all out of the competitive rotation on the multiplayer games cause they blow.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

They hit melee units the hardest because of weird stuff that happens when you're locked on and trying to move in the z plane.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Karima Kei is the unsung hero of the series. His pure love of mobile armors kindles a flame in my weathered heart, watching everyone building and rebuilding astrays, over and over, ad nauseum perpetua. I was happy to see him in the final episode.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ka0 posted:

Karima Kei is the unsung hero of the series. His pure love of mobile armors kindles a flame in my weathered heart, watching everyone building and rebuilding astrays, over and over, ad nauseum perpetua. I was happy to see him in the final episode.

Who?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

chumbler posted:

Strike variants only, no crazy backpacks, open space (no asteroids or planetoids or debris).

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

KARIMA
KEI
OF HONMOKU ACADEMY!!!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The metagame shift in BFT towards super crazy high output suits that have insane crazy bullshit that chainsaws their power supply actually makes sense if you compare the two shows' rulesets. In the original BF, battles were formatted as 1v1s with no hard time limit, which meant that fighters had to build and plan around fights going indefinitely and their unit being the only one they can rely on. Something like the Winning Beam is useless in that context, because if you miss a full power Winning Beam in a 1v1 format your suit is now junk and you lose. In a 3v3 with time limit context, suits with higher bursts of power but less endurance are much more desirable. Blowing something insane like a Full Power Winning Beam early on can be worth it even if it completely disables you afterwards because even if you manage to only cripple or destroy one enemy you've still broken even, if you get two or more your team has a massive leg up, and even if you whiff entirely your team is still in the game. This ties into the time limit, too; since every match is guaranteed to end at 15 minutes no matter what happens, you can afford to pack more power up front because you're not going to be sucked into a guerilla war for terribly long either way.

Sei could have probably have built the Star Build to be able to do its super particle modes without any absorb energy, but it would have been severely detrimental to its overall performance. Restricting the usage of the crazy super moves like speed burst to stolen particles only means that the baseline performance of the suit remains high at all times.

As for the Crossbone's particle problems, I rationalized that as the I-Field being really really spendy to run, especially since it soaked Transient's kamehameha beam thing without a scratch on the suit. Since he never really got a real opportunity to actually resupply fully, once he got into a deficit he just sort of chipped away at it until it was all gone since they never gave him enough of a break to fully recover.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kanos posted:

The metagame shift in BFT towards super crazy high output suits that have insane crazy bullshit that chainsaws their power supply actually makes sense if you compare the two shows' rulesets. In the original BF, battles were formatted as 1v1s with no hard time limit, which meant that fighters had to build and plan around fights going indefinitely and their unit being the only one they can rely on. Something like the Winning Beam is useless in that context, because if you miss a full power Winning Beam in a 1v1 format your suit is now junk and you lose. In a 3v3 with time limit context, suits with higher bursts of power but less endurance are much more desirable. Blowing something insane like a Full Power Winning Beam early on can be worth it even if it completely disables you afterwards because even if you manage to only cripple or destroy one enemy you've still broken even, if you get two or more your team has a massive leg up, and even if you whiff entirely your team is still in the game. This ties into the time limit, too; since every match is guaranteed to end at 15 minutes no matter what happens, you can afford to pack more power up front because you're not going to be sucked into a guerilla war for terribly long either way.

Sei could have probably have built the Star Build to be able to do its super particle modes without any absorb energy, but it would have been severely detrimental to its overall performance. Restricting the usage of the crazy super moves like speed burst to stolen particles only means that the baseline performance of the suit remains high at all times.

As for the Crossbone's particle problems, I rationalized that as the I-Field being really really spendy to run, especially since it soaked Transient's kamehameha beam thing without a scratch on the suit. Since he never really got a real opportunity to actually resupply fully, once he got into a deficit he just sort of chipped away at it until it was all gone since they never gave him enough of a break to fully recover.

Actually that still doesn't work because almost all the fights devolved into 1v1 HONOURABLE DUELS :japan:.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Actually that still doesn't work because almost all the fights devolved into 1v1 HONOURABLE DUELS :japan:.

Well, yes, but that's the stupidity of the individual characters. Fumina's an example of a hardcore metagamer who clearly designed the Star Winning's functions with the team format in mind. Most of the honor duelists are people who are so used to overpowering everyone that they don't give a gently caress about the team metagame(Gunpla Academy, Junya), idiots who don't know any better(Sekai), or Lucas and Simon, who pretty much acknowledged that their respective teammates had no chance in hell of actually helping them in straight fights and tried to plan around that. Minato sidestepped the entire team issue altogether by channeling all of his team's power into one cohesive unit.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The only way to kinda justify the lovely tactics is if team gunpla tournaments didn't exist until like 3 years ago.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Tae posted:

The only way to kinda justify the lovely tactics is if team gunpla tournaments didn't exist until like 3 years ago.

The show basically screams at the top of its lungs that everyone would be way happier with playing 1v1s, it's pretty hilarious. It's like the writer using the characters as a mouthpiece.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Maybe that's why fuel supply is a thing now, six separate units drain way more than two!

...poo poo, that actually makes sense.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

BlitzBlast posted:

Maybe that's why fuel supply is a thing now, six separate units drain way more than two!

...poo poo, that actually makes sense.

They wouldn't drain more than the race from last season, with six units constantly going as fast as they can and shooting at each other. Or the battle royale from last season, with like, 100 units fighting and also a Mega-Size Zaku.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

boom boom boom posted:

They wouldn't drain more than the race from last season, with six units constantly going as fast as they can and shooting at each other. Or the battle royale from last season, with like, 100 units fighting and also a Mega-Size Zaku.

To be mildly fair, that last one was on a colossal platform specially-built for the task.

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

To be mildly fair, that last one was on a colossal platform specially-built for the task.

Except this tournament was held in basically the same spot as the last one. Unless Nils's particles are just that much lamer than the originals.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

StalkofWheat posted:

Except this tournament was held in basically the same spot as the last one. Unless Nils's particles are just that much lamer than the originals.

They presumably aren't made by a giant magical wish-granting crystal, so.

everything about particles in Try is dumb

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

What if you just made a ball and covered it with little razors made out of whatever let nils cut beams in half, like sharkskin.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

UNSTOPPABLE RAMMING SPEED.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

All I'd be doing is trying to figure out weird ways to break the system, if gunpla battle was real.

• Locked thread