Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Not a bad first episode but it's really unfortunate that Fumina is already clearly doomed to do nothing of worth. She gets one okay fight at the start and then is wrecked and proceeds to spend the entire rest of the episode losing humiliatingly, including getting effortlessly wrecked by a guy who isn't even in the battle club. Next episode is also clearly going to be the Boys Fighting again which means she's once again not going to do anything.

Broken Loose posted:

I really dig that the first thing she did was kick a bunch of rear end and only lose when she was completely outnumbered by top tier badasses.

No she didn't. According to the episode her team hasn't ever gotten past the first round. There's no reason to buy anyone there was a top-tier badass.

Edit: I also admit that it's extra disappointing because this would be pretty great if it was just Mecha-Chihayafuru instead, but BF isn't willing to make Fumina a character like Chihaya.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

Hey, remember how the G-Reco thread turned to poo poo for a few pages when some goon declared it was terrible that the female lead does nothing but fail and cry when all he had to go on was two episodes and an episode preview? Remember how much that sucked? Can we maybe not jump to conclusions like that here, and give the writers the benefit of the doubt that Fumina's not just going to wind up as China 2.0?

Build Fighters had literally an entire series before this and nothing here suggests they're bucking the trend. I said it wasn't a bad episode but that doesn't mean I have a lot of faith in them handling this one particular aspect well and the first episode kinda lived up to my expectations in that regard.

At no point did I go on a rant about how the show is misogynistic or whatever. v:shobon:v

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NotALizardman posted:

At the same time Tomino has an entire body of work behind him that has a negative trend when it comes to women. I think it's perfectly fair to judge both Build Fighters and G-Reco on that metric.

Edit: Not targeted at you really Imp, just in reply to the general topic.

Tomino had both positive and negative trends. His body of work contains both good female character, bad female characters and extremely Tomino female characters.

Build Fighters really doesn't get that benefit of the doubt because it's really had a very easy to point to and obvious trend where it can have good female characters but not good female characters who are allowed to do things not boyfriend-related. (And Fumina is set up with Boyfriend Elements for both of her teammates this episode.)

I will note that I don't think Fumina is going to be China 2.0 I think she's going to be Aila 2.0, which is also why I have so little faith that they'll make the character work.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 9, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

There is no way she can be Aila 2.0 because Fumina hasn't really been shown to completely chump world level players in 3 seconds. If anything she'll be the shows Sei, good but not perfect that actually improves as the show goes on. Except she'll be more visible because she'll constantly be fighting whereas Sei suddenly just got good.

I mean Aila 2.0 in terms of being someone who both enjoys battle and really wants to be good at it who none the less is never really allowed to shine against actual named opponents. (And I doubt Fumina will have invisible funnels and a berserker system to make up for that.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caros posted:

Yes, Fumina is clearly doomed to do nothing of worth based on one episode where she wrecks the poo poo out of a bunch of people in the opening

That was a fantasy sequence.

Caros posted:

loses once after saving the ostensible lead character from being destroyed.

She blocks a single beam saber slash before she is effortlessly wrecked, followed by the lead character winning the fight literally barehanded.

Also we see later that the main character had another robot inside so he probably would have been fine.

Caros posted:

Please overlook the fact that Fumina is otherwise shown to be an incredibly positive female character throughout the episode. Ignore the fact that she stubbornly keeps the Gunpla Battle Club open despite outside forces endeavoring to shut it down. Ignore the fact that she actively works towards achieving her goals, such as by literally pushing Sekai into getting involved in Gunpla Battle. Nope, all you need to know is that she apparently has an okay fight at the start and then proceeds to lose humiliatingly.

You remember when I mentioned Chihayafuru above? The main character of that, Chihaya, literally does everything you mentioned while also being a talented and skilled player. Why should I bet impressed by a female lead who is like her but playing second fiddle to two male leads?

I don't think Fumina is a bad character. I think she's likable and fun. That is why I'm frustrated that she's seemingly following the exact same route as the other BF female characters.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 9, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

Wait, why do with think the opening battle was a fantasy sequence?

It was a battle royale but they say in the episode her previous teams never got past the first round and that she needs three people to even compete, but she is the only member.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 9, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chumbler posted:

I had figured it for some publicly open event.

That's not impossible but then it doesn't say much for her skills.

Also 'she wrecks a bunch of people' is kind of disingenuous because all we see her do is beat one opponent. People are taking the explosion to mean 'she destroyed the opponents" but it is actually the missile that missed her exploding. We see her flying into open space, the explosion blocks it and the next shot she is flying into space and gets wrecked.

W.T. Fits posted:

Fumina's not just the female lead; she's the protagonist.

No she isn't. The narrator isn't the protagonist, unless you're arguing that Watson is the protagonist.

W.T. Fits posted:

If she really is being set up to do nothing but sit back and fail while Sekai and Yuuma get all the glory, why is the narrative even bothering to establish all this?

Because that way we can feel that she succeeds when Sekai and Yuuma win.

I don't think the writers are actively going 'hate women, grr!" They obviously want us to want her to succeed, it is just that 'success' is 'have the male characters help her." Which is the same problem that BF had. BF had really fun female characters, just not ones who they felt fighting was anything meaningful to, even the characters primarily motivated by fighting.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 9, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

She's the member of the main cast we see, she's the one with the dilemma that needs to be resolved, she's the one who's pushing Sekai to join her club and fight alongside her, she's the one actively working to move the story forward. In what way is she not the protagonist?

Because the one who gets the giant shining moment, the cool iconic mecha hidden by the previous series protagonist, the one who the episode is titled after and so-on is not her. She is the narrator but this episode was about the boy who calls the wind.

Caros posted:

This is you declaring that Fumina is a worthless character after watching literally one episode. I didn't claim that you should be impressed by her showing in the first episode, I claimed that it was ridiculous that you are writing her off as a useless character based on her combat showing in the first loving episode. As a reminder, one of the leads of the original series got absolutely destroyed in both his showings in the first episode of BF, but of course its only the female characters that get immediately declared worthless.

And how is this not a reasonable assumption based off the entirety of the previous season of Build Fighters? They are doing literally the exact same thing. There is no difference in writing here. (Which is mostly a good thing. I liked Build Fighters!)

You also took "do nothing of worth" to mean "worthless character" which isn't what I said. I like a lot of Build Fighter's cast. That doesn't mean all of them did something of worth. I like Fumina even!

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 9, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caros posted:

So Reiji was the protagonist of Gundam Build Fighters then? He is the one who gets the giant shining moment, the cool iconic mecha, his name was in the episode title etc.

Reiji and Sei were both protagonists, yes. Sei, however, had his important trait established in the first episode. (Great at building.) That trait goes to China's brother this season.

This is the concern people (and not just me) had from the moment the team lineup was announced. You had Reiji 2.0, Sei 2.0 (except good at fighting too) and a new character who appears to be the 'heart' of the team, which means she is less good at the two things the series is about than her teammates. (Although to her credit she doesn't appear inept at fighting like Sei was.)

And in the first episode she defeats one nameless opponent and then is wrecked by a guy who doesn't even like fighting with his models and considers it a waste. Like, straight up the guy's thing is that he doesn't like fighting with his models and even stated that the mere idea of a battling club fighter being beaten by a model club fighter would make them realize the club was worthless.

She could get better in later episodes. I'll be very happy if that happens! But the first episode was Build Fighters writing through and through in both good and bad ways.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Oct 9, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

Now you're quibbling over semantics. If the character is going to "do nothing of worth," then why bother having the character to begin with?

Fine, I'll clarify. "Do nothing of meaningful worth in Gunpla Battles."

I am certain she will do other things. China helped motivate Sei to build the Star Build Strike, Aila used her psychic powers to help Sei and Reiji on a few occasions, Caroline provided assistance and kung-fu butlers, ect.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caros posted:

I'm pretty much just going to sit the rest of this argument out and then smugly quote myself a few episodes down the line when I'm proven right.

Feel free, I won't particularly care? I have nothing invested in this and will only be pleased if my expectations are subverted.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Lets wait till the second or third episode to actually reach these conclusions. Ep 2 is clearly a 2 on 2 so we can see if she actually does anything of note there.

Also Im betting that Yuuma is going to be sidelined harder than Fumina just because everything about his and his mechs design scream support strategist. He's going to be the back row fighter while Fumina and Sekai hold things down.

Nah, Yuuma is the 'cool smart guy' archetype and the writers love doing stuff with that. Think about how much effort them put into Yuuki's tactical K-9 battle. I'm actually pretty excited to see him fight someone who isn't a Try-team member.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Khisanth Magus posted:

You mean the guy who had the advantage of a model that was considered masterfully built because his biggest skill and hobby is building models?

Yes? He praised Fumina's building skill and she was using her own hand-built customized Powered GM, and we already know from the original series that even a super-customized Gunpla needs a talented pilot to bring out its fully potential.

NotALizardman posted:

Another sniper battle? Yes please.

(also I wish fumina would keep the gm cardigan because it's really cool and i don't like sd gundam and it makes me more pessimistic about her)

Well, the SD Commando Gundam was basically the coolest moment Aila had in the original show, so it isn't impossible for it to be awesome.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Hilariously, the HG Build Burning is going to be cheaper than HG Build Strike Full Package. I guess those backpacks really inflate the price.

Wait for the upgrades. That is where they'll really hit you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's definitely an Astray. You can just see the two lower fins of the flight pack.

I think it's a Murasame, actually. It doesn't have the Strike-like binder over the foot and I think the flight pack is the Murasame's wings.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have to say, I want to meet the pilot of the customized Core Booster. Who the hell even does that?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caros posted:

No, he said that she wasn't going to do anything of worth in the entire series, based on the fact that she lost a fight so that the Sekai could look cool.

Boy, it isn't like there was a long ongoing trend of female characters in anime losing fights so male characters look cool but never getting a cool moment of their own. It is truly unbelievable that someone could hold the opinion of this happening, especially in the sequel to a show where they introduced a female character's upgraded mecha and destroyed it in under a minute of screentime so a bunch of other male characters could protect her and show off their cool mecha instead. (Despite this making no sense at all within the confines of the setting.)

This isn't even a particularly out-of-the-blue concern. Shows ranging from Danball Senki to stuff like Naruto do the 'two cool male leads, one useless female lead" stuff on a regular basis and BF has shown itself to be a fun show but not one that will buck that trend in any way.

Edit: I want to be surprised. I'd like to be surprised. I just remember that I argued in the last thread that the Miss Sazabi meant that Aila had to do something because they wouldn't introduce a new mecha like that for no reason and I was pretty drat wrong then.

Sharkopath posted:

I'm glad that FIELD  2  :  DESSERT is still around.

I smile every time that field comes up.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 9, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

OneDeadman posted:

This is going to be super dumb, but the Season 2 Talking Arena isn't quite as good as Season 1's. :colbert:

It's literally my only complaint as far as Season 2 goes so far.

I felt the same way actually. I liked the old voice more. :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

Nah, new voice just sounds so excited about Gunpla Battles, I can't not love it

EDIT: ^ I thought the Taurus and the one that came after it with the shield things were incredibly effective though?

The Taurus is a really good suit but isn't really 'really effective' in-series.

The Virgo was a complete shitwrecker though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caros posted:

Do you just like to complain and be contrary?

It is almost like things have context instead of being ALL GOOD or ALL BAD.

I 'defended' Aida in that I said that her crying wasn't inherently a misogynistic thing and that she didn't lose the fight because she was inept, she lost it because her robot malfunctioned. I also criticized other elements of the show. (Including calling Monday a terrible character so far.) It's possible to both enjoy something and dislike elements of it or think they're handled poorly.

Caros posted:

- Alia's new machine was introduced at 4:33. It wasn't wrecked until the midpoint of the episode so unless you mean "It only got a minute of screentime" you're just flat out wrong.
- If you are complaining about it not getting a lot of combat time, then maybe you should go back and actually watch the episode. Felini in his brand new Wing Gundam gets about 10-12 seconds of focus time in the entire thing, which is roughly the same amount Aila gets in combat and quite a bit less if you count the time spent inside before getting exploded, though more than China.
- Alia and China take the bullet for Sei and Reiji, making them actually far more useful than most of the rest of the supporting cast.
- Yes, everyone being worried about protecting their damaged gunpla was stupid.

You're counting the entire running time of the episode as screentime which is dumb. She had exactly once combat scene (during the montage) and then the scene of them flying into the cannon and pushing Sei and Reiji out of the way. Counting all of that as Miss Sazabi screentime is straight-up disingenuous.

Felini's new Gundam got to show off in a previous episode. Also it didn't get blown up.

You're seriously arguing that girlfriends jumping in front of a laser to die for a male character is being "more useful." Just think about that.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 9, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bloody Pom posted:

The funny thing is, from a purely technical standpoint the Leo could probably chump a lot of the OYW/other AU grunts. The problem lies in the fact that the setting's Gundams outclass everything by a disgusting margin. Wing Zero and Epyon in particular are basically untouchable.

I'm pretty sure someone has ran the numbers and found that a Leo would basically be a protagonist-grade machine in any other Gundam show aside from maybe 00.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chumbler posted:

Those test pilots just weren't grunting and pulsing their muscles or whatever it is you do to deal with G forces hard enough. Though I think it says something for OZ pilots that when not in space they'll pilot in practically dress uniforms :black101:.

Also Leos don't have basically 4 Saturn V rockets strapped to their backs and cutely called "verniers". God I love the Tallgeese.

I hope we get a custom Tallgeese this season. I mean we had one last season but it didn't last long. :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

John Carstairs posted:

:raise: Apparently not. I don't even remember the drat thing.

It was the thing Nils fought in his debut.

chumbler posted:

I know, it got chumped so badly due to glorious nippon bullshit :smith:. Though I guess I can't hate too much, since I do like Nils for being a black character in an anime who is not some awful caricature.

I honestly thought Nils was hilarious. He was so much of a straight man it wrapped back around to being comedy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bloody Pom posted:

It's also hilariously petty, but enough about people being huge babies in a thread about plastic robots beating the Future out of one another.

I would day one buy an MG Build Burning Gundam. Imagine all the crazy martial arts poses you could pull with MG articulation and Emotion Manipulators. :flashfap:

Eh, if someone wants to put me on ignore because I didn't like an anime enough, I can't give a drat.

The mentioned of an MG Build Burning actually made me wonder what they're going to do for its upgrade unit. I assume he's going to build his own Gunpla after learning about the joy of Gunpla Buildings because they want to sell more toys, but it'd be kind of hard to imagine him out building a Sei Iori super-custom. Maybe it'll be a team effort and they'll all work together to make an upgrade.

Danball Senki ended up doing three-man teams where they eventually had their robots combine into one super-powerful robot. I wonder if they'll borrow that for the upgrade instead. It'd even give them a unique gimmick since Gundam hasn't really done actual mecha combiners before. Combining backpacks and poo poo but not really full-on super robot combiners. We know from the pre-release stuff they're going to do 3-v-1 battles with mobile armors at least.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, Nils reinvented Plavsky Particles, there is like a 100% chance of him showing up 7 years old at some point. :allears:

I hope he has somehow become even more samurai in that time. Just walking around with a topknot and katana and a labcoat and treating it like it is 100% normal.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chumbler posted:

I think the cameo I'm most looking forward to is Fellini and Kirara because Fellini was easily my favorite character from the first season and Kirara was up there too (and used a gerbera tetra for bonus points). Assuming that relationship held, they could even reasonably have a kid in 7 years, and Fellini would totally be the doting-est dad.

I honestly imagine Fellini and Kirara basically ending up like Max and Miria where they go through periods of awkward breakups followed by blowing the poo poo out stuff together.

chumbler posted:

Is it weird to care about the characters' relationships in a show about toy robots punching (buy them, kids!) almost as much as said toy robots punching?

No, Build Fighters was honestly really good about making the characters and their relationships fun and easy to care about. It was part of what the show did really well. I mean none of them are deep characters but most of the ones with screentime are really fun. I think the biggest duds are probably Mao and his girlfriend and China and even then China and Sei are cute together.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kurieg posted:

How about Sei's Dad as the bumbling yet somehow competent Gunpla Interpol officer?

I'm hoping Sei replaced him myself.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sindai posted:

I forget, does Ramba Ral work at that school or something or are we to assume that he just wanders around it regularly?

As near as we can tell Ramba Ral is just a crazy wandering old man who appears whenever a Gunpla Battle is happening.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Monaghan posted:

Did Fumina ever get her hands on it? I can't remember. It was the first time Fumina ever saw gunpla before, so he may not have known how much they weigh or how they are supposed to handle.

She didn't even know they had a Dom since it was inside the trophy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

Also an interesting thing brought up earlier in The Discussion That Shall Not Be Repeated was that it's a big deal that the building club president knocked the poo poo out of Fumina, but actually he must be fairly good himself. He said that the whole reason he challenged them to a fight was so he could win and use that to get the fight club dissolved, so even though he apparently hates gunpla battle he must be practicing in secret or something, or else he wouldn't be so confident in his ability to win for his plan to work. I wonder if we'll get to see anything related to that, or if he'll be in any more battles after he's beaten once. Maybe he's the new Sazaki?

He could also just have a very low opinion of the Fighter Club's abilities. They haven't done well in any fights even when they had club member it sounds like. He also probably fought at Model Damage F or whatever the lowest rank is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

I suppose, but he never really said anything directly insulting to Fumina concerning her abilities, at least as far as I can remember. Just a lot of mocking about how she has no teammates. I didn't really get the impression that he thought she couldn't fight (though I guess there is similarly little evidence that he's been practicing in secret :v:)

Well, he said they never got past the first round which I took as that, although it is more about the team as a whole. He did praise her building abilities though!

(I mean lets be honest, the dude's entire thing is that he's a creepy fucker who is trying to force her into his club because he has a crush on her or something, based on the way he was acting. Even if she is a talented pilot he'd still have said that.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Honestly, I'd just say he wants a bigger and more prestigious club. 'Sleazeball club president has crush on female MC and makes her life hell because of it' may be a common anime trope, but this guy gave the impression that his sleaziness is stuck to always-on mode rather than it being anything particularly personal.

No, he completely has a crush on her. He told her that her stubbornness was "one of her charms' and had a generic anime jealousy freakout over her and Sekai on the floor together.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

One of my favorite moments I forgot to mention earlier that I don't think anyone else has talked about : the scene where Fumina shows Sekai a Gunpla for the first time. You see the look on his face... smash cut to her trying to desperately drag him back in because once he saw it was "just a toy" he was all, "Nope, gently caress it, I'm out." Cut to commercial, and when it comes back you hear Fumina explaining the basics, so you figure, "Oh, cool, she must have convinced him to stay somehow."

Then you see she's got him tied to a chair. Probably the funniest moment in the episode.

I know the answer is 'comedy physics' but I have to wonder how the crap she restrained a super-kung-fu master without him breaking free.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Devil Tesla posted:

Now I'm imagining Chihayafuru but gundams.

Say it wouldn't be great.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sekai's master being Domonby would be the most amazing thing and I hope it happens.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I kind of hope we see more upgraded robots this season. It was fun to see customized starter-bots but it was also a bit disappointing that most of the upgrades were either backround fodder or one-shotted mooks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Butt Ghost posted:

Will I like Gundam Build Fighters if I don't know poo poo about Gundam?

You might? It's mostly a fairly by-the-book kid's action series with some good fights and fun characters. If you're okay with watch that you'll probably enjoy it but it doesn't really transcend the genre if that makes sense?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

Glad this show is back, love all the fun models they come up with. Really like the beefed up GM they had the girl using, but is she switching to an SD model later or something?

Yes, she's getting Winning Gundam at some point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Fumina confirmed for team strategist, I guess. Better combat performance this episode, too - we saw that she could indeed dominate the rival club leader when she didn't have to worry about Sekai, and she got to finish off the Agrissa despite being fried by its plasma-field.

I came here to post the exact opposite.

She got taken out by an unexpected gimmick and needed to be rescued from Captain Grabbyhands. He used a 'cheat' but oh look, it was mysteriously Fumina who got caught by it, subjected to a bunch of creepy lines and had to be rescued. The only way she 'finished off the Agrissa" was by shooting it after Sekai already tore it to pieces and it was helpless.

This episode basically confirmed my fears. She got to blow up a single character. The only other girl pilot who was portrayed as being a terrible pilot and an easy kill who intentionally threw the match.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Oct 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

You have sever issues with build fighters.

She was clearly dominating him and her strategy was the reason that allowed them to be in a dominant position in the first place. She got captured sure, but she still was trying to escape and continued to fight after she was let go.

She wasn't clearly dominating him. His cockpit wasn't even yellow yet. He pulled out his secret weapon and she was helpless. She also 'continued to fight' by struggling while her robot exploded and then getting an entirely perfunctory shot on an already defeated enemy.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

e- seriously take a few step back, she's shown more drive and agency in two episodes than the rest of the cast.

She, like the female cast members in the original Build Fighters, is a great character who, (so far), like the female cast members in the original Build Fighters is being used as the punching bag and rescue object for the male cast members.

• Locked thread