Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
When Gundam Build Fighters was announced last year, everyone's reaction was a flat what. People were sure it was going to be a cynical cash grab, and basically all conversation about it was tinged with a tone of "this is probably going to be Gundam AGE mkII." And all you need to know about AGE is that it was bad.

Then it came out. And while it was definitely a cash grab, it sure as hell wasn't cynical. It definitely had its share of problems, but it was so overwhelmingly earnest about how much it wanted you to buy toys that it ended up being the most well-received Gundam show since… I want to say Turn A (1999)? Maybe 00 (2007). It's been a while since more people liked than hated a Gundam show is what I'm trying to say. So naturally everyone was wondering if there would be a second season, and come May 2014 Sunrise came through with a sequel: Gundam Build Fighters Try.

It's been seven years since Build Fighters, and the popularity of Gunpla Battle has only continued to grow. Yet Seiho Academy, the school the last protagonist attended, didn't exactly jump on the trend. There's only one member in the school's Gunpla Battle Academy, and the upcoming All-Japan Gunpla Battle Championship requires teams of three. So said member decides it's high time to go on a recruitment drive.

Which brings us to this guy, Sekai Kamiki. He's a new transfer student (of course) who up until recently has been traveling the world with his master. He practices Jigen Haoh martial arts (something like Dimensional Ruler), and is set to pilot the Build Burning Gundam. Which, incidentally, has no relation to the Burning/God Gundam beyond the fact it punches things.

Number two on the "probably shanghaied into joining" list is Yuuma Kousaka, the younger brother of the previous series' love interest. He used to be an avid Gunpla Battler, but for whatever reason quit. Now he's more focused on the building portion of the hobby, and prior to the series he won an Artistic Gunpla Contest. He pilots the Lightning Gundam, which is probably the winner for Most Unexpected Design because come on, the Re-GZ?

Last, and hopefully not least, is Fumina Hoshino. She's the aforementioned only member of the Seiho Academy Gunpla Battle club, and apparently the only one who actually likes Gundam. She pilots the Winning Gundam, as well as the Powered GM Cardigan. Build Fighters had a pretty lovely track record with its female characters, but maybe Fumina will break the trend. I just know somebody is going to quote that and make a witty comment.

Oh and there's also this guy. He rules.

Other characters have been announced, but I didn't go into that much detail in the Build Fighters thread and I'm not going to do it here either.

What the hell, this doesn't sound like Gundam at all!

Nope, that's what Reconguista in G is for.

Is this show going to suck?

Who knows! Sunrise has a terrible track record in second seasons, and there's apparently going to be a greater executive presence this time around thanks to the first series' success. The writer is still Yosuke Kuroda, but now the director is now Shinya Watada. He's the guy behind 08th MS Team, Gundam UC episode 4, and Memories of Eden, which were… um… alright, I guess. As far as I know this is his first time directing a weekly series, so let's see how it goes!

Is the same guy on music?

Yes.

Oh thank god.

Yeah, I'm relieved too. This time Yuuki Hayashi is working with Asami Tachibana, who has pretty much worked with him on every other one of her projects. I'm looking forward to the OST.

Why should I watch this?

Because let's face it, if you watched Build Fighters, there is no way in hell you're not watching this.

I'd make a comment about cameos, but I'm still amazed Build Fighters proved me wrong about G-Savior.

What can you tell me about plastic crack?

There's a thread for the hobby. Build Fighters saw a huge influx of posters, so nowadays we're regularly on page 1! Don't be afraid to post, we're all in this ridiculous money sink together.

When is this show starting?

The show is scheduled to start October 8th. We don't know who's on the OPs, but I'm gonna guess BACK-ON.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Just use them as water bottles.

Ethiser posted:

I hope the reason they made this season about a team competition was so they had an excuse to make more crazy and obscure custom kits like the Ez8.

The thread title was almost Three Times the Merchandise.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I want to see BACK-ON try to top One-Half.

Also:

Still so excited NAOKI is one of the mecha designers.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

He probably just wanted to pass some sort of legacy on after he graduated, and hid it in a Dom because he has good taste like that.

That was a great first episode, I loved how they did a pretty good job at characterizing Sekai as a relatively average kid who thinks gunpla battle is just the coolest thing because come on, robots fighting. So many cameos at the beginning too, that's going to take a while to sort through.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Okay so here's what I could identify:

quote:

ZGMF-515 CGUE (SEED)
FF-X7-Bst Core Booster (MSG)
NRX-044 Asshimar (Zeta)
DT-6800A Daughtress (X)
RX-160 Byarlant (Zeta)
MSN-01 Psycommu Test High Mobility Type Zaku II (MSV)
AMS-119 Geara Doga (CCA)
OZ-06MS Leo (W)
MS-14Jg Gelgoog Jäger (0080)
RGM-79 GM (MSG)
RMS-099 Rick Dias (Zeta)
RX-77-2 Guncannon (MSG)
RB-79 Ball (MSG)
RB-79K Ball Type K (08th MS)
AMX-003 Gaza-C (ZZ)
MS-21C Dra-C (0083)
RGC-83 GM Cannon II (0083)
RGM-86R GM III (ZZ)
RB-79 Ball (Shark Mouth) (MSV)
AMX-011 Zaku III (ZZ)
RGM-96X Jesta (Unicorn)
RMS-154 Barzam (Zeta)
RGZ-95C ReZEL Commander type (Unicorn)
NR-001 Balient (X)
Musha Gundam (SD)
WF-02MD Virgo II (W)
MA-06 Val Walo (0083)
RX-178 Gundam mkII (Zeta)
RMS-106 Hi-Zack (Zeta)
RX-78-3 Gundam "G-3" (MSV)
OZ-13MSX1 Vayeate (W)
MS-09B Dom (MSG)
AEU-09 AEU Enact (00)

There was a lot of stuff I either couldn't identify or was unsure of.

This one feels like it should be obvious, but I just can't figure it out. :downs:

I am pretty sure this is a Daughtress, but it's got just enough extra flourishes that it might be something else.

the gently caress is this

the gently caress is that

The GM III is obvious, the other two not so much. Green thing's shield reminds me of a Gelgoog's I guess?

I took one look at this scene and threw up my hands. The Jesta, Barzam, and Balient are obvious, but who knows with the rest. The ReZEL there is lacking the Commander type's giant gun, but it's got a green visor so I dunno!

Lastly, this mobile armor. I dunno!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Hilariously, the HG Build Burning is going to be cheaper than HG Build Strike Full Package. I guess those backpacks really inflate the price.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Also, updated cameo list:

quote:

ZGMF-515 CGUE (SEED)
AMA-01X Jamru Fin (ZZ)
FF-X7-Bst Core Booster (MSG)
NRX-044 Asshimar (Zeta)
DT-6800A Daughtress (X)
RX-160 Byarlant (Zeta)
MSN-01 Psycommu Test High Mobility Type Zaku II (MSV)
RX-110 Gabthley (Zeta)
AMS-119 Geara Doga (CCA)
RMS-119 EWAC Zack (ZZ)
OZ-06MS Leo (W)
MS-14Jg Gelgoog Jäger (0080)
RGM-79 GM (MSG)
RMS-099 Rick Dias (Zeta)
RX-77-2 Guncannon (MSG)
RB-79 Ball (MSG)
RB-79K Ball Type K (08th MS)
AMX-003 Gaza-C (ZZ)
MS-21C Dra-C (0083)
RGC-83 GM Cannon II (0083)
RGM-86R GM III (ZZ)
RB-79 Ball (Shark Mouth) (MSV)
AMX-011 Zaku III (ZZ)
MS-17 Galbaldy Alpha (MSV)
RGM-122 Javelin (V)
XM-01 Den'an Zon (F91)
JDG-009X Death Army (G)
RGM-96X Jesta (Unicorn)
WMS-03 Maganac (W)
SVMS-01 Union Flag (00)
RMS-106 Hi-Zack (Zeta)
AMF-101 DINN (SEED)
RMS-154 Barzam (Zeta)
ZM-S22SC Imperial Rig Shokew (V)
RGZ-95C ReZEL Commander type (Unicorn)
NR-001 Balient (X)
OZ-02MD Virgo (W)
Musha Gundam (SD)
WF-02MD Virgo II (W)
Walter Gundam (G)
MA-06 Val Walo (0083)
RX-178 Gundam mkII (Zeta)
RX-78-3 Gundam "G-3" (MSV)
OZ-13MSX1 Vayeate (W)
MS-09B Dom (MSG)
AEU-09 AEU Enact (00)

I went back and watched one of the Unicorn MS videos, and it turns out not all ReZEL commander types deploy with the Hyper Mega Launcher. So this one's clear. Oh, and the thing to the top right of it turned out to be an Imperial Rig Shokew.

I'm pretty sure the green MS is another Hi-Zack (only different is the skirt armor, and it doesn't seem to be a variant) and the white one in the bottom left is a DINN.

These two pairs of legs are the only ones left. Thing on the right kind of reminds me of a M1 Astray?

EDIT: At 48 cameos total (49 if you count the Mock), BFT 1 just barely edges out BF 14's record of 46 cameos.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 9, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It took a poo poo ton of pausing, but I got a better picture:

Yep, definitely a Murasame. You can actually tell just from the legs; the Murasame has a full red strip, while the M1 has white knees. "Gundam ga suki" has been burned into my brain

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Oct 9, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

AradoBalanga posted:

Aside from the upgrades ImpAtom mentioned, there's almost definitely going to be a kit where it comes with a Dom-functioning-as-ejectable-outer armor for the Build Burning. So yeah, there's the pricing there.

Absolutely not. That would require Bandai to make a new Dom mold. :v:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I have a great memory of my entire club bursting out laughing as soon as they heard that when we all watched episode 1 of BF together. :allears:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

A friend identified the thing on the left as a Zoloat. That's all the cameos!

Well, except all these battleships at the beginning but ahahaha gently caress that.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Yuuma freaked out while the Dom's armor was still breaking, so I think he actually did know what was coming. I half expect it to be that Sei intended for him to inherit the Build Burning, he just never figured out where it was.

Why does a message notification play while the Build Burning is popping out?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I am pretty sure neither Sekai nor Fumina are anywhere near Sei's level of OCD builder.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Really the weirdest part of the Build Burning is how its animation model has RD-like proportions. It looks nothing like its profile picture, or its HG.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's even got the Ali Custom's different front skirt armor. Huh, wouldn't have expected them to make a mistake like that.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The kid just got arrested for using his super kung fu powers, I don't blame him for playing it safe.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I hope there'll be a baking episode.

EDIT:

Jeez Amuro, it's just a cake. You don't have to freak out like tha-

:stonk:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Oct 10, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I half expect the Build Burning to get completely trashed, and nobody on the team is actually good enough to repair it so they all just make something new.

And then maybe near the end Undercover Gunpla Cop Sei shows up and helps Sekai through making a hybrid of the two designs for the final upgrade.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

GENKAI NANTE NAI

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I wouldn't be surprised to see some kit Grade variety this season, considering they changed the GP base to display the type. I kinda want a to see a kit turn out to be RG instead of HG, just to see what happens.

There was always a slot for that. BF never used it, and I honestly don't expect Try to either because this show is about selling HGs.

Though if the upgrade is to a RG Build Burning I will laugh forever.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

RG Strike Freedom can not stand up, and the user is unable to SET HIS GUNPLA.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

You may need to see a doctor, I think your sense of joy has been crippled.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I just want to know where people keep getting those fancy big flame effect pieces from.

You're looking for the Burning Flames Tamashii effect part. HLJ occasionally has it listed.

I say occasionally because I swear to god they've put it up and taken it down repeatedly. I can never seem to find it when I actually want to pad my order. :smith:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I don't know why it took so long for me to check out the full version of the second ED, but it is art.

EDIT: Oh huh, it's even one of the few Gundam songs that actually still sounds good sped up.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 15, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

OP was hype as hell. Destiny (:swoon:) and a Sword Victory Rouge! Also I'm sad to see the curse of Gundam X continues. God drat it Yuuma, why did you have to lose in an Airmaster Burst? :negative:

It's looking like Sekai is pretty much just a viewpoint character; aside from punching/kicking things with the Jigen Haoh technique of the week, he didn't do much at all. Pretty clearly the Fumina and Yuuma show.

ImpAtom posted:

I can't check the op right now but the pinkish Gundam was Impulse Gundam from SEED. It's probably supposed to be Impulse Rouge or something like that.

It's a recolored Victory with the Sword Silhouette.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Come on man, how can you mistake that v-fin? :colbert:

Also that is very clearly the Victory's chest.

quote:

GW-9800-B Gundam Airmaster (X)
RMS-116H Hobby Hizack (CCA)
AEU-MA07013 Agrissa Type 13 (00)

Episode was pretty cameo light. Fair enough, last episode was insane.

EDIT: Took another look, and whoops it's just vanilla Airmaster. Makes sense, the HG just came out.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 17, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I don't think the Agrissa was banned in particular, there's just a generic "no MAs on the team because they're all kind of bullshit".

ImpAtom posted:

Do the op. :colbert:

Uh there's the protagonist suits, the SBS in the poster at the beginning, a Wing and a Red Frame being assembled, the three EZ-SR types, R-Gyagya, a well-animated Destiny (:swoon:), an unidentified Gundam (looks heavily armored), Gouf R35, a plane (the cockpit section reminds me of G-Falcon, but the back is too different), the aforementioned Sword Victory Rouge, and a Hyaku Shiki with the Zeta's Hyper Mega Launcher.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

After giving both another listen, I'd have to say I'd still rank One Half as the best OP of the three. Cerulean probably beats out Wimp though.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

So apparently these two are Julian and Allan?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Lurking Haro posted:

The mysterious woman has to be the current Meijin because of the weird glasses. The weird ghost flames might mean that Tatsuya is missing.

Tatsuya showed up in episode 1 awarding Yuuma his prize. I bet Yuuki just had to make a team of Meijins to keep up with the rule changes.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I leave for afternoon classes and I come back to find the biggest shitshow since the G-Reco thread's start. What the hell thread. :psyduck:

ImpAtom posted:

That said, I really did find the fight this episode kinda boring. :smith:

I don't think we're going to see a high budget fight for a while. The team's still getting together, the championship is a while off, and none of the rival characters have been introduced.

Although it would be awesome if the very next episode has the Destiny pilot show up and wreck face, because lord knows I need to see the Destiny accomplish something for once.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I am just so loving happy the Destiny is in a show where it can have a good fight.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Unless it hits one of the budget episodes. :smith:

That would still be better than what it got in its own show! F91 vs Amazing Exia was lazy as gently caress but it's still the best showing Exia RII has ever had.

Caros posted:

It is going to get into a kicking war with Sekai and lose badly.

I would unironically love this.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Mirai is already a lot better than Rinko.

"Sis, I don't get my new friend's friend."

"Well I guess you'll just have to beat the truth out of him."

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

chumbler posted:

You take that back. Rinko was rad and totally would have said the same thing.

I've been kind of down on Rinko ever since a friend who is an actual housewife who runs a gunpla store pointed out how incredibly dumb it was to be running a shop for several years and not know anything about it.

Wait poo poo, now that I think about it I'm the president of a gunpla club. Oh god does this mean I am also a total creep aaaaaaaah.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Decided to take a crack at figuring out the mysterious MS in the opening, and while it's obviously heavily customized

the left arm gives it away as a Nu variant. I guess it makes sense, it was Yuuki's original suit.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Huh, that does look pretty close. Can't say I'd have seen that coming.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

Well, all we need is for some random thief to lug in a gigantic magical crystal from another dimension

Now that I think about it, how did he even carry that?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

He beat the Turn X. :colbert:

And then got murdered by the Rinascita.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Koopa Kid posted:

The second fight was after-credits iirc which is why I don't think it registers the same way, plus the way cuts from action/after-action really draws the impact away. I actually didn't even see that scene until my second run at the series.

The first fight was episode 2, and the second was episode 6. They were very much big affairs.

• Locked thread