Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

That was wonderful. They even had the crazy-rear end tank from Igloo show up as a poster.

Also the fact that the crazy kung-fu dude just gets arrested was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I like it when the toy punched the other toy. That was cool.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Yosuke posted:

Yeah. It made me want to build my own toys after.

I have all mine boxed up until the move. :(
I do really need more space, though, and also some sandpaper...

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

It was the thing Nils fought in his debut.

I honestly thought Nils was hilarious. He was so much of a straight man it wrapped back around to being comedy.

The fact that the straight man was an American boy-genius samurai says a lot about the series.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

Oh I wish Fuumina was the main character. Sekai is like that red head dude from the last season but way more appealing as a character to me, I don't know exactly why.

While Reiji was an alien newtype prince, Sekai's just a dorky dude way too into fighting.
Also him talking with his fist reminds me of Digimon Savers in the best way.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Srice posted:

After watching the new ep I gotta say that dang, Yuu's melodrama was kinda weighing it down for me (especially when combined with having to save the club again). Though at least it looks like it's taken care of for the time being; does look like the next episode is gonna be funnier than this one.

Not that dislike what we've seen so far but I'm enjoying G-Reco way more. But at least for the moment it's a nice appetizer I can look forward to the day before the main course, so to speak.

I love the melodrama, personally. People being so super serious about their plastic robots that shoot one another just kinda reads as a comedy to me, and was the kind of show I watched religiously while younger (Yu-Gi-Oh, Beyblade.)

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Looking forward to Fumina getting saved by other people every episode. :bravo:

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Also the winning gundam has a flight mode and it looks ugly as sin.

oh god i love it
i just wanna swoosh it around making jet noises

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Honestly the only mecha thing I can think of that's actually crewed rather than being one or a two person team is one of the robots from obscure Capcom 3D fighting game Tech Romancer/Kikaioh.

The Gunbuster. :colbert:

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

Amphibious mobile suits are the most sensual and powerful type of all the gunpla, the future of mechanized plastic warfare rests on their noble and strong shoulders. Other robots pale in comparison and I can't wait to see what contrived excuse they come up with for how it could ever be possible for a Kapool to lose to anything, because of how inherently insane that concept is.

This is pretty definitely an emptyquote.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Kanos posted:

Looking forward to Build Burning Karate Gi Gundam and Lightning Glasses BWS.

I find naming your big artillery mobile suit after an extremely famous military officer from a world-renowned poem synonymous with duty and bravery to be a lot more plausible than naming it after an article of clothing that you like to wear a bunch, I suppose. :shrug:

I wouldn't be surprised if it was meant to be a double meaning. The joke is definitely that she wears a cardigan, though.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

In the first fight, what was the leading mono-eye suit?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Srice posted:

Heck, this brings me to another thing I've been thinking about; the choreography and animation quality in general look like a step down from the first season.

I even looked at some of the fights from the early episodes to refresh my memory and it seemed like season 1 was definitely consistently better in that regard. 6 episodes in to the first season, we had the Yuuki rematch which everyone loved because it was like the sort of battle you'd normally see at the end of a show.

Even the other fights were all pretty distinct, but here it feels rather same-y; the first part of the science team fight was unique but then they resolve it by doing the same thing they've been doing every week, except with a different powerup this time.

Heck, I remembered the character animation being better in the first season but it was much better than what I thought it was like.

I'm not sure if I was just seeing things, but most of this episode seemed rather off-model for the characters, significantly more than in prior episodes. Lots of poorly drawn angles and changing proportions and there was something wrong with Fumina's face.

Also I have to agree that Fumina seems like a missed note. Though that's kinda how I'm feeling about the entire cast. They have these potentially interesting characters, but have managed to fall flat with a lot of the character development. It seems like the primary cast of three is working to a disadvantage, as episodes that could work well for building a specific character, or even two, are divided between the cast so everyone has substantial screentime. An episode that was entirely about Fumina's and Sakai's date, for example, could have been interesting, and could've been a stronger version of the Aila/Reiji learning to build gunpla bit in the first season. But instead they divided it into a various different subplots.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Oh Snapple! posted:

This is the impression you give off because you absolutely never stop bitching about the same old poo poo over and over again that everyone else got tired of reading ages ago. You post a shitload of complaints, then add a "Oh, I liked this episode!" almost as a qualifier and then play victim when people ignore the one positive sentence for the 99 that are bitching and moaning.

While I hate the discussions about the portrayal of women in gundam as much as the next person, the arguments that ImpAtom are bringing up each time are still valid responses to each episode. Like, it'd be one thing if they were continuing to go on about something that happened weeks ago, but no, they're responding to things that happened this episode. For instance, this episode in particular was set up to be all about the Winning Gundam, and it helping out its teamates. Instead, it turned into a "and now yuuma and sakai get power ups and that's why she's so awesome!," with a little shoehorned bit about making them work together at the in.
Except she didn't make them work together at all. They both fought individually, and the only thing they did together was...both use one of Winning's parts?

The problems that ImpAtom are talking about aren't getting any better, keep on coming back in different ways, and seem to be potentially getting worse. It's a major issue in a show when one of the primary protagonists is sidelined repeatedly, and especially so when she's the token female. Especially when the show has shown so many opportunities to correct this, and then they don't.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Oh Snapple! posted:

For starters you could act like you aren't ashamed of watching it when you talk about not even being able to watch it with an insufferable-sounding group of people.

The thing is they're only "valid" if you happen to actually agree with his view.

I don't.

Personally I think it's lovely that he thinks being a concerned leader that recognizes the flaws in her team and builds a robot from scratch to compensate for them is a negative to her character.

Somebody raising valid points doesn't mean their view is necessarily correct.

And I'm still not sure what flaws she's compensating for. Sekai can now punch even harder, and Yuuya can shoot further and more powerfully, and? I think that's it?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Quick and dirty:

I think that's the best scene in the series so far.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Cao Ni Ma posted:

They haven't outright mentioned it but we already know Sekai's fists cant break guarded opponents. Just about everyone with a shield has been able to block his blows without any issues. If they actually had more time in the episode and they weren't constrained with having to repair the burning so early they could probably illustrate what would happened if the build burning traded blows with the claw ez8 too.

I wonder how much this is the settings being on B and whether or not they are going to switch it up to A in the later tournaments. They have to if they are going to have the burning suffer any form of real damage.

Oh. I completely overlooked that. An armor piercing fist would make sense, then. Still, while the power up is cool and I guess really useful, it wasn't really the whole "getting them to work together" angle the show said it was, which seems to be their actual real flaw.

This really needed to be a 15 minute fight, at least. Maybe the entire episode.
These short fights at the end aren't enough for 3v3 battles. They were only barely enough for 1v1s.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

It's an incredibly distinctive design for a side character, so I'd be rather surprised if it wasn't a reference.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

I just want to point out that even though hoshino is off model in that shot, that entire scene is probably the most lively and animated any of the characters had been in the episode up to that point. Yuuma is fidgeting around and messing with his phone and instead of standing still and mouth flapping hoshino adjusts her position as she goes through the dialogue.

I liked it a lot, a bit sad to see people throwing it into the fire since it and the gyanko staredown later in the same scene were fun little bits that I wish we had more of.

Also Ral running late to the tournament this episode was a good similar bit.

I honestly didn't notice that from last episode. And actually haven't noticed it much up until now. This episode, however, there were a lot of scenes that didn't have much going on that were supposed to be cool or dramatic, and meanwhile Hoshino's all :downs: and it just kinda doesn't work.
I think this show doesn't really work at all when it's trying to be all that serious, though. The stakes are low, Yuuya's too flat for his story to really do all that much, and it's just kinda lacking in intensity. The first season was ridiculously intense, and it was incredibly dumb, but it worked. And it knew it was being too intense, and that was part of the humor. That seems lacking in this season so far. Everybody's treating gunpla battles really seriously but also as something completely mundane, compared to prior when it was a ridiculous dumb nerd thing played by total goons who got way too invested in it.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Ka0 posted:

Ah yes, the goon dictionary definition of creepy (hint: everything)

I. No.
He literally has his fist shoved up her rear end.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

SomethingAwful.Com: No fisting jokes allowed. :colbert:

Not about middle schoolers, preferably.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

muike posted:

That hospital's security is unbelievably terrible or they don't care because he's THAT sick

If I'm stuck in a hospital for that long they had better let me have my modelling supplies.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

It didn't really hit me that there's characters named both Sekai and Sakai. This makes the thread make a whole lot more sense, and also means I've been calling Sekai by the wrong name for half the season. :v:

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

At the very least Gyanko should've taken out that girl she had started establishing a rivalry with earlier in the episode. Like, I get that they needed to hype up the Mega-Shiki and Suga, but having her take out one suit wouldn't have been too much, would it?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Level Slide posted:

Stop posting about posting, that got the Greco thread closed.

I hope Sekai still goes on that date with Gyanko.

Him and Hoshino are gonna eat steamed buns during the national tournament and build robots there will be gratuitous cameos it will be great. :colbert:

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Realistically speaking? No, she shouldn't have been able to take out Yomi given the circumstances. Maybe they could have structured the fight differently to give her a chance, but the moment it became a 3v1 gyanko has no right of taking anyone out short of a suicide attack.

The fight would be structured differently if that happened? I thought that was implied. Even if not, there've been plenty of battles where the protagonist is able to defeat a large number of enemies against overwhelming odds. Putting up a fight and taking out a suit wouldn't be anything out of the ordinary for a show where they make the little plastic robots fight eachother.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I mean its pretty easy to figure out that once you lose a member you are incredibly hosed in gunpla team battles since the losing team is forced to go into the offensive to try and equalize the numbers while the winning team can just turtle and win by time out.

In other team based games you have mechanisms to stall out till the situation improves. Or you have matches where you might do badly in one round but better in the other. You are properly hosed in gunpla battles if you ever get to the point that you have a handicap unless you are loving insane and can carry the group by yourself.

The whole point of Gyanko's team is that she is that insane, and can carry the entire team by herself, though? While realistically that's how a team based battle should work, it hasn't been how they've been working at all during the season. There's been very little teamwork, just 3 1v1 battles.

Whether or not that's how it would work in the real world isn't necessarily how it should work in the show. The battles don't need to be realistic (they'd be really rather boring if they were, the way the show has set them up so far,) they need to be interesting, and work with the characters.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Srice posted:

Yeah it's a weird matchup since regardless of who's up against the girl, there's not much of a reason for either of them. Sleggar has been built up as an opponent for Sekai and that was handled decently enough but I figure their plan for that is "well, we obviously gotta have the two girls fight each other". Maybe we'll get some pre-battle scenes with the two teams interacting, that could actually be something to go on.

I am still holding out for teamwork finally happening even though I should really know better at this point.

Hell, I'd be down with that.

But the Winning Knuckle IS teamwork! They've been doing teamwork all along. :v:

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Kirara made it in Hollywood!

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

His otaku spirit tamed by married life in Japan, he looks to his roots and uses a Gundam Maxter upgraded with the latest in plavsky technology.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Yuuma had a bit of personality, Hoshino realized she needed to rely on herself, the Build Burning got totaled, and the ~Mysterious Girl~ turned out to just not want to fight against weak opponents. It's pretty much everything that we wanted to happen, all in one episode. Here's hoping they can follow up.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Nice to see the Cherudim get some action. And was that a modified Qan(T) that Wilf was using?

My knowledge of mobile suits is a bit shaky, and it might've just have been the glowy bits, but it looks like it heavily borrowed from the Unicorn as well. At least the spear..

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest while I like Fumina's revelation this episode, it kinda bugs me from a "they wasted half the show on that" perspective. Maybe it would have been sold better if we saw Fumina lacking self-confidence or Fumina sure that her skills were the worst or whatever, but the way Winning was presented when she build it is that Fumina was making a logical build choice to help support her team like other teams were doing.

I wonder if there was bad fan feedback over it or if this was the intended plot the entire time? The BF guys have acknowledged taking fan and producer feedback and giving the plot modifications before so I wonder if Japan was complaining about WINNING KNUCKLE too. I saw people bitching about it on MBs but that doesn't necessarily mean the staff altered it because of that.

Thankfully they still have a whole show's worth of episodes yet, but all of the big development and stuff that they did this episode should've been done way earlier in the show. One of the big things that we're all excited about is that the characters are realizing battles are fun again. Except we just spent half a series having super serious battles and unnecessary character angst and after thinking about it for a while it does kinda lose the all the characters learned a great lesson and now everything's gonna be good again aspect and now it's more of a, wait, did they really just contradict the tone and stuff they've been setting for the ten or eleven episodes prior?

Apologies for the rambling, I'm still waking up.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Nah, that's G-Reco's OP.

BlitzBlast posted:

Uh, what? The song is kind of bland but it matches up to the scenes perfectly. This isn't a G-Reco situation here.

EDIT: Welp.

:agreed:

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

the next build fighters should be very silly g-reco variants

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Also this series got pretty fun! Like it's starting to feel like s1 in all the right ways.
In a year or two the Build Fighter recommendations will all be "S1 is fantastic for everything but your wallet, S2 starts kinda crap, but halfway through gets really good."

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

As another tangent, I like how while he was offscreen Sakai made friends with his new team. :unsmith:

I was expecting one of them to be all jealous of him replacing them but no, they're all excited to be alongside him and the rest of the team! :3:

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Yosuke posted:

Well from his intro the only people he seemed to like being around are either women or people fromhis home area, as all his dickery was targeted towards residents of Tokyo.

Still, it was nice seeing everyone just have fun this episode. Everyone was allowed to interact and do things and we even got to see building!

they even gave the personality-less triplets a bit of personality!

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

My opinion has been pretty consistent, I think. v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

The fact that they took the ridiculous super-robot equivalent to an already ridiculous suit and somehow made it even crazier is kinda magical.

• Locked thread