Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Do bins actually do anything? My guards never seem to try to dispose of the contraband they find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Blackray Jack posted:

Is anyone suffering graphical glitches? Cause I sure am! I'm running windows 8 just in the likely case that it's the culprit. Otherwise I'm just having minor graphical glitches like the 'Z's from sleeping prisoners turning into flashy squares, as well as a chunk of my yard being a flashy square. It's mostly minor graphical glitches and whatnot and nothing big.

EDIT: How many cooks do I put per prison ratio? I don't think I am giving enough meals to feed all my prisoners. I have two sinks, ovens, fridges, and cooks. On that matter how many meals per day should I give and at what times?

What are good patrols for my guard dogs to go on? I've got one patrolling the cell block hall and one patrolling outside around the cell block.

What's a good regime? I honestly have no clue and would love some help concerning this.

Number of cooks isn't as important as number of cookers, especially if you have prison labour. Expand your kitchen.

Having a guard dog patrolling the entrance to your prison will be good for spotting contraband.

The default regime is a pretty good start. Slot in a four-hour Work slot in place of some free time once you need work to happen.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

super fart shooter posted:

The guys in those categories don't work, and other prisoners aren't allowed in their blocks, so it falls to the janitors to take care of their laundry needs, which isn't working so well.

More ability to manage your non-guard staff would be great for this game. It's annoying for my janitors to do the prisoners' job for them while the staff room is filthy, the gardeners are weeding the fallow field between my exterior fences, and the chefs are laying out all the food in only one of the cafeterias...

That, and a better UI for managing the reform programs.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Box Hill Strangler posted:

Im having tunnel trouble. My dogs are dropping flags reasonably regular but not in any specific area. Ive searched cell blocks and even ripped out every toilet and not found anything, so now I have some questions.

How often do dogs give false positives? If 4 or 5 flags have come up over a few days is there a chance theres no tunnels at all? Or do the flags also represent something else?

Does dismantling toilets automatically uncover tunnels or do you also need to search afterwards?

Do you need to dismantle showers and drains too?

Coz at this point im either not looking in the right place or my dogs are huffing all those discarded drugs found when people come in to my prison :catdrugs:

My prison has three dog patrols and I get a flag come up every couple of days as false positives. First thing to think is: Is this reasonably likely to be the shortest route out of the prison for anyone? If it's near, but not on, a major pipeline it's probably a false positive, same if it's on the other side of the prison from all your cells. If you think you're onto one, have dogs sniff around the area to see if more flags come up. If not, it's false.

Tunnels only ever come from toilets and dismantling the toilets will reveal the tunnels.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Jeoh posted:

After building my huge prison I forgot to save enough money for guards, and now everyone is rioting constantly. How can I fix this? I just need 1k to get an account so I can get that grant and a bunch of Cell Block grants.

Can you sell shares in your prison? From the Valuation tab.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Ok, so I noticed kitchen supplies are a huuuuuuge contraband vector. Is there any way to make my guards auto-search goods coming into my prison?

Have a dog patrol through your deliveries and make sure the route from there to your kitchen passes through a metal detector. That'll catch most contraband, at least.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Generation Internet posted:

Uuuuuuugh. Did they just let backers insert their own horrible character descriptions with no moderation? It would explain a lot of the lovely ones I've seen in game.

They certainly aren't proofread. They might have tossed them through a swear filter. Hopefully they'll get properly addressed at some point.

The only prisoner bio I've seen that I really liked was Wild Snorlax (arrested for lotering on Route 12), though they're not all bad.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

Do you guys think they'll add gangs? I was thinking about it last night and they'd have to give us the ability to assign prisoners to cells before gangs could be put in, I think.

I'm fairly sure gangs are on the agenda. You can already assign prisoners to cells, it's in the tutorial - it's quite micromanagey though, so they might be looking for a more effective way to separate your inmates.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Do prisoners age? Time passes on their release dates but I don't think I've ever seen an age number go up.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

John Dough posted:

Also, I seem to be doing something wrong with confidential informants. I have recruited at least a dozen of them, and I have a Security Chief with his own office, but activating CIs does nothing, the status button just flashes to Activated before immediately going back to Idle. Coverage never goes up from 0%. What am I doing wrong?

Do you have a Security room? They go there, not the Chief's office.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Lack of Gravitas posted:

I'm almost sad that the release is on the horizon, since it means there won't be any more dev videos with Chris and Mark... I've spent more time watching them banter than I have playing the game :(

Are the dev videos just for the alpha? They said they'd continue updating the game post-release.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

sauer kraut posted:

Wow, they really need a manual or something that's not buried in 31 hour-long dev diary videos.

In that particular case it's in the tutorial at the start of the game.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Three-Phase posted:

One other thing I did was take the three gang leaders and three of their lieutenants and throw them all into a highly isolated superman area. I think that with the leaders isolated, there is no new recruitment, and with the lieutenants isolated, there aren't any "plays" for territory. I think they need to implement some kind of system where if a gang leader is isolated that way, one of the lieutenants will eventually be promoted to a leader.

I think it'd be cool if isolated gang leaders could send orders around through some form of contraband. It might be a bit more than the contraband system is built for, but it'd be atmospheric as hell. Judging by what they said in the demo video, real-life gang leaders are generally in pretty much constant solitary but they sneak messages out to their underlings.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Are you looking while they're actually being interrogated? I thought you only get coverage during the interview.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I fairly regularly get contraband like phones confiscated just from false positives in the metal detectors. Have lots of them around and you basically have a mandatory search regime for your prisoners.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Autism posted:

Am I stupid if I'm having a lot of trouble understanding the interface for timed deployments? I can't really tell what the gently caress is going on with regards to the slot selection on the bottom. The wiki's description doesn't help much, either.

No, it's a bad interface.

You click each time slot to set which deployment pattern is active in that slot (from default 0 to 7). Then you move the bar to a timeslot with that pattern to set up the deployment for that whole pattern.

I think the logic is you set up the deployment pattern for a specific time with the little bar, and all other times on the same pattern are changed in the same way. It would make a lot more sense to just set each deployment pattern independently from a specific time.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Really enjoying this game now that I'm finally getting into it for real, got it back in early access but only dipped my toes in.

My only complaint right now is that I want to start a new fresh sandbox prison, but my only options seem to be "start with nothing" or "infinite money", and I really really want something in-between. I want the stress of actually having to balance a budget, but I don't want to spend forever slowly growing up a tiny prison to make money to build basic facilities. I want enough starter seed cash that I can build at least one solid wing of a detention block and a few utility / administrative buildings, but it seems that starting the normal way you're pretty much broke to begin with. So I guess I'll play on infinite cash but that's frustrating.

Can you at least save a prison built with infinite cash and then play it like a scenario starting from there with money?

You could sell your existing prison and start a new one with the proceeds.

Although I've never had a problem getting set up fairly quickly as long as I kept doing grants.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ineptitude posted:

I havent played since they added the button to remotely open a door, can you now build multiple canteens and assign cells to a certain one?

Yes. You have to unlock Micromanagement to do it, otherwise the game will automatically assign cell blocks to the nearest canteen (and any overflow diverted to the next nearest, etc)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I hope some of those UI concepts make it to the PC game. Not the whole lot, obviously, but there's a lot of good polish there, like tooltips coming from game characters, or the menu organisation, or the title screen, or just the general aesthetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Update time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOqQv4_piL0

Long story short: You must now keep your prisoners warm, and the Quick Builds menu comes to PC.

• Locked thread