Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
I just got this game the other day in the steam sale, and I'm fuckin' addicted. I kept restarting (well, selling and building a new prison) because I wasn't satisfied with how things were laid out, and last night I spent about an hour or so with the planning tool before laying any foundations. Today, I started building, and got far enough that I'm going to need to expand my kitchen and canteen (mostly the kitchen).

I lost power to the entire prison and had to build a backup and separate my power grid during a blackout, which gave me an excuse for a full search of everyone and everything while everyone was confined to their cells. I also fulfilled the nutrition research grant (with about 80 prisoners) during the blackout. Got everything back up and running and Solitary (about 30 cells) was only half-full, surprisingly. Now I'm setting up a third power generator just for my kitchen, and planning on a fourth one for max/super-max when I expand enough to start getting those assholes in.

One of my random prisoners:

Soon after I took that picture, a riot started in the holding cell. I like to think that someone dissed his game, and then it was on. The guards had just graduated taser class, though, and almost as soon as the door opened, inmates were dropping left and right. One guy (an instigator) died in the brawl before the guards got there.

Good game, and much more detailed than I thought it would be. I just discovered the joys of scheduling, so 8 am-10 am gets an extra armed guard and a dog patrolling around the bus dropoff, mealtimes get an extra guard in the canteen, and dogs go through the cellblocks while everyone's eating, as well as in the middle of the night. It seems to be working out pretty well so far.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

I love the "Sentenced to 4 years for possession" tacked on at the end in my screenshot (the crime/sentence is randomly chosen, right?). The Chaos Dunk was devastating, but there were no laws against it, so they had to get him for something else.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 21, 2015

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

nielsm posted:

How many Capacitors are you placing for each of those power stations? It sounds like you have way more than you really need, you can place up to 16 capacitors per power station, 3 on each side and one in each corner. One maxed out power station should be able to run a prison for 100 inmates just fine.

Yeah, I figured that out. My problem was that I was over-stocking my kitchen with appliances and my workshop with power tools and running everything off the same grid, so when it went down, it all went down. I learned my lesson, though, and like I said, I managed to power through the blackout with minimal destruction (thanks to taser class and body armor) and found a bunch of contraband and a couple tunnels during the lockdown. I had to sell a share in the prison to get the money to buy the second generator and run new power lines, though.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

Bondematt posted:

Is there still no way to turn of autobuying lights with foundation? Being johnny on the spot with cancelling doesn't always work out. I just had like 20+ trucks of lights show up and filled my storage with less than half of them. Almost had a riot due to a food shortage as I tried to empty the conga line of light trucks.

Edit: Oh, and continuous intake is hilarious now with Snitches. All 6 deaths have been from them in a 672 prisoner prison. The best was the one who got shanked in the protective custody block.

Oh, good, I'm not the only person who's gotten annoyed with the auto-install of lights. Not sure if there is a way to turn it off, unfortunately.

I've been pretty good about keeping various security levels separated in my current prison (only about 180 prisoners). Max and Supermax are across the road, min/medium/protected are in the original plot. Then, last night, I was playing around with regime re-scheduling, and gave the PC guys an hour of free time at about 7 am (before most of the rest of the pop wakes up), but I didn't notice that max-sec also had yard time then, and that some of my max-sec guys were staying in the holding cell instead of across the street in the max-sec building.

The snitch wandered into the shower and didn't see the four max-sec guys on the other side of the room. It did not end well. PC free time is now at the end of the day, when everyone else is in lockup/sleeping.

I also lost a psychologist when a therapy session didn't go quite as well as expected. Now therapy comes with free shotgun-toting guards (I might change them to normal guards, though).

Unrelatedly, I have a question that I hope someone here can answer. Here is my canteen:

I'm wondering why I can zone the doorways in the kitchen/canteen for separate security levels, but not doorways in the other rooms or buildings. Less important, why is there a little bit sticking into the canteen for the two northern doors (I'm pretty sure there's no wall or anything there)? (edit: I'm dumb, there are walls there) I can't do it with my other canteen, which is entirely indoors. Is it only for outside-access doors in kitchens and canteens? If so, that seems needlessly specific.

A note on the shop in that canteen building: I originally had the shop-window facing into the common room, but nobody seemed to use it (it may have just been because nobody had money yet). I moved it to the western side of the building, so people could get stuff from outside, and that helped. But now I've got guys running around with hundreds of dollars and I'm not making any money from the shop. Min/Medium security each have an hour of free time while the other is working, so there should be someone manning the counter for both groups.

Also, I discovered that the +/- keys enlarge/shrink the ui, so it's nowhere near as large as in that screenshot.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 8, 2015

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

MisterOblivious posted:

There's a bug with the shop right now: the wall the window is on has to show up as Shop in the deployment screen.

Thanks, that's helpful! It seems like a quirk with the way rooms are zoned rather than specifically with the shop, since I've noticed it before in other rooms before this last update (the shop window is the first thing that actually uses it, though). Is there a way to control which walls get included, or at least a way to know which walls will belong to which room? In my previous screenshot, I noticed that the canteen took most of the inner walls (between the other rooms in the building), except for the cleaning closet in the upper right (next to the staff-only room that holds the water pump).

For now, I'm just chalking it up to alpha weirdness and working around it as much as possible.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed
This was my biggest and most successful prison so far (from a34). It's not perfect - the stuff around the edge could have been more efficient, and the max-sec canteen is too small, but it mostly ran pretty smoothly. I had issues with morning near-riots (and a couple actual riots) in max-sec until I gave them their own chapel. The northern section of the main prison (with protected custody and supermax cells) is 'airlocked' by staff-only areas between the other buildings (but occasionally a PC got out after his parole hearing or visitation and wandered around in the main yard before I noticed). Most of the doors (especially the outdoor ones in the cross-intersections) are locked open most of the time, and I have a guard stationed at each cross and in most of the 'corridors.'

I don't have a shot of the grading screen, but it had something like 14% reoffending rate, 50-some deaths (because of the pre-chapel max-sec riots), and 0 escapes. Like I said, it's not perfect, but it runs pretty smoothly. I'm using the basic layout in my new prison, and trying to plan more things out in advance before I even start construction.

The prison did run kind of slow most of the time (no difference between >> and >>> that I could see), and it took a minute or two to register all the cells when I loaded it, but that might be partially my computer's fault.

Also:

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 2, 2015

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

Three-Phase posted:

Along the lines of what KillHour made in his mod: I wish there was a way to designate areas or doorways that exclude one or more types of convicts.

Such as a library or workshop that is open to low, medium, and high security prisoners, but prohibited to PC and Supermax. Or even create barriers that certain types of convicts (again, looking straight at PC and Supermax) absolutely cannot cross or be allowed to cross with a guard (except if there's a riot or they are escaping). So you can create PC areas that are absolutely separated from the prison proper.

The only way I've found to do this is to have separate doors for each sec-level you want to access the building. You may have to use a small "airlock" to do it, though - by that, I mean something like the doorways in the yard in this pic:

I agree, though, it would be nice to be able to zone areas for "everything EXCEPT <sec-level>" or for multiple sec-levels at the same time. It seems like a pretty common complaint, so maybe they'll figure out a way to do it. I'd also like to be able to set sec-zone schedules - like the canteen is open to min-sec from 10-12, med-sec from 12-2, and max-sec from 2-4.

Also, it seems like canteens don't need the airlock if the doors are open to the outside - you can just zone sec-levels right on the doorway, for whatever reason.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 9, 2015

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

PantsFreeZone posted:

I dislike your fancy tiled walkways and wooden floor cells but love your layout.

Thank you! I don't really like the way the floors turned out either, but I'm too lazy to redo them. :) I've linked it before, but here's a bigger picture of the prison:

I don't have a deployment/security zone picture, but the top row on the left side is my supermax/PC wing (supermax on the left, with armed guards patrolling each of those little hallways), with the paths leading up there marked staff-only. The four big cellblocks on the left are for min/medium, and the smaller block on the far left is something I added in while working on the 500-prisoner-capacity grant (that's also the reason for the small block in the middle, next to the forest area). I filled in the rest of the left side with those, as well as most of the storage areas. The canteen for min/medium is a bit small, but otherwise that side runs pretty smoothly. The common room and infirmary in every cellblock might be a bit much, though. If I do a similar layout in the future, I'll probably mix in some classrooms and maybe chapels, possibly another psych office in a min-sec block.

The right side of the road is obviously max-sec. I don't really like the way it all turned out - there are too many hallways and they're too wide, the upper cells are too big, and I should have lined the southern wall with room for other stuff, like I did with the other two walls. The only way into the open area between the walls is through the security room, and there's a guard stationed at the door at all times. They caused a lot of trouble (near-riots every morning, and eventually an actual riot) until I gave them a chapel and added prayer mats to the yard.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 10, 2015

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

FreudianSlippers posted:

Is there anyway to just deliver food to protected prisoners because they tend to get stabbed if they share a canteen and I don't want to build them a separate one since there's only like 7 of them at a time at most.

Either research permanent punishments and put them on permanent lockdown or stagger meal times so that your protected guys eat when everyone else is working/locked up/doing other stuff. If you didn't know, in the Regime tab, you'll have a button at the top if you have Protected Custody or Super-Max prisoners that will let you change their regime (and probably Death Row but I haven't taken any of them yet). You could also probably have them eat with your min-sec guys, assuming you have any. There's a smaller chance they'll get stabbed by dudes who've already got one foot out the door.

In my last couple of prisons, I've been playing with self-sufficient mini-prisons shared between Protected Custody and Supermax guys. Keep it separated from the rest of your prison by staff-only areas, and they'll only leave for parole and release. Supermax is basically always in lockdown, except for a couple hours in the yard and 2 meals (morning, late afternoon). Protected custody is in lockdown whenever supermax is out of their cells (and vice versa, obviously). They've got their own kitchen/canteen (much smaller than the main one), laundry room, chapel, classroom, yard, and even their own psychologist (who pretty much just holds AA meetings for snitches and ex-cops in the small common room near the canteen). Supermax is basically reserved for Legendary prisoners and that one guy who was almost there (he had 3 or 4 traits and a bad attitude). I've had about 8 deaths in the prison, and they're all from supermax guys going wild and beating some guards to death.

Well, except for the one time, when I wasn't paying attention to what time it was as I was rearranging regimes, and I got the blue "guard in trouble" icon from the PC/SM canteen. During the afternoon meal, one of the Supermax guys beat up a guard, and by the time I scrolled over to see what happened, the other guard in the canteen was tazing him into unconsciousness and putting the cuffs on him (also, one of the Supermax guys had grabbed a tray and sat as close to the fight as he could, like he was thinking "hey, front row seat!"). A PC snitch found himself on work time and didn't have a job, so he wandered into the canteen (there are phones, weight benches, and a radio in there). Front-Row-Seat Guy almost immediately started a fight with the remaining guard while the third legendary prisoner grabbed the baton and keys from the (unconscious) first guard, and ran after the snitch. To his credit, the snitch basically turned and ran as soon as he realized what he had walked in on but the legendary prisoner was faster, and beat him to death in the common room. The guy with the baton was tazed into submission almost as soon as he got out of the building. The whole thing was pretty great to watch, and would never have happened if I had just paused the game while rearranging schedules. Also, I could have probably had more than 2 non-armed guards in the canteen with 3 legendary prisoners.

I don't intentionally try to make things like that happen, but I laugh and watch when they do. It's not like I'm putting an unguarded armory with a wooden door near my max-sec cellblock or anything (a friend of mine did this and said it was pretty funny to see just how much the prisoners would accumulate between regular cellblock searches).

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 1, 2015

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed
Thanks to a conversation on steam about the last update, I've become interested in modding Prison Architect. Nothing too fancy, I just want to replace the gang member sprites with babies. I'm wondering if this is possible, and if so, how difficult would it be to do? If it has to be a women's prison, so be it.

I just want a gang of babies to take over the yard so I can call it "the crib."

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

widespread posted:

Holy gently caress where have I been. Can I have just women prisoners or is it just "Moms only"?

Also Baby Death Row when.

I only noticed tonight when I started a new prison that you can choose the prisoner gender at the beginning. Moms seem to be just a small percentage of the population of women prisoners. In the video for the update, Chris set his intake to All (which was something like 84), and I saw 3 moms... but then again, he only had 3 Family Cells set aside, which are what moms with babies need. So there may have been more who were just wandering around.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Is there a practical use for pressure pads? I've seen gimmick uses for them (escape labyrinths) but I've struggled to think of a good reason to use them in a normal prison.

Also, what's the difference between a remote door and a normal door with a servo attached?

A remote door can't be opened normally. A normal door with a servo can be opened by anyone with a key (if it's a staff/jail/solitary door), but the servo will usually open it first (if the station is manned). I found this out when the guy on the door control for my armory left his post right before the tazer rollout happened, so nobody could get into the armory to gear up until someone else took over the controls.

I usually use servos on my road gates and cellblock entrances. I use solitary doors with servos instead of remote doors - that way, if the power goes out or someone decides to leave their post, the door is still accessible by guards (I've also started doubling up on coverage for important doors and cameras, so they're ideally never not manned). I haven't really used pressure pads or logic gates or any of that. It's totally not necessary, but it's nice that there are more toys in the sandbox. Plus, Chris was so excited in the alpha videos when he talked about that stuff. :3:

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed
Chris and Mark put out a Scanner Sombre video talking about (and showing) the VR version. They also discuss how Scanner was pretty much a failure of a game, but it didn't set them back as a company as much as it would have before PA. They talk about some of the same stuff in the PA video, but it's still worth a look if you like listening to Chris and Mark talking about their games (I do).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4a7K-I-F5s

Chris: "We made a huge number of people aware that they didn't want to buy the game."

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 25, 2017

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed
Not only does the beta add striking and wage adjustment, it fixes the staff canteens not working properly. Now they're connected to a kitchen for tray-clearing and -filling. Also (not sure if it's new for this update or not), you can stick a serving table in a staff room rather than having to build a bunch of staff canteens all over your prison, and people eat in their offices!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed
You could put that prisoner into Protected Custody, and adjust his regime that way. A prisoner will only be PC if you set them as such, they'll never be put in a yellow shirt from punishments (I think murder makes a prisoner max-sec by default, but you can change that if you want).

• Locked thread