Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Grimwit posted:

One thing I realized is I'm coming to the climax too early.

Think unsexy thoughts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I get a surprising amount of productivity out of my commute. It's only like 5-10 minutes waiting in a station (more if the trains are delayed, which they often are) and 8 minutes on the train itself (provided it's not so crowded that there's no room to write). I can usually dash off a good 300 handwritten words each way, which takes a bit of the pressure off my lunch break and evening writing.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I really loved working on the MBTA commuter rail. I had about 5 hours in commute a day for a while, and I wrote a poo poo load. It was fantastic.

I muddled through it last night, which is weird, because how do you muddle through a bear attack scene? Also, let's declare a vomit moratorium for 2015. Unless you ingest a toxicant. Please barf in that case.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
None of my characters have vomited yet (that I can recall). I hereby pledge that one of the protagonists shall chunder during the very next scene I write.

It'll be more interesting than most of the crap I've been coming up with.

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

RedTonic posted:

drat, that's awesome! Do you write for your day job too, or are you just quite disciplined?

In theory, yes. In practice I am unemployed. :eng99:

But this means I have all day to write! :eng101:

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.

Maugrim posted:

None of my characters have vomited yet (that I can recall). I hereby pledge that one of the protagonists shall chunder during the very next scene I write.

It'll be more interesting than most of the crap I've been coming up with.

One of my characters has been vomited on, does that count?

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!

RedTonic posted:

which is weird, because how do you muddle through a bear attack scene?

Ben Stein: The ferocious beast grabbed hold of the man by arm and leg and tore him asunder while simultaneously biting his stomach and ripping his insides out. It was, [Ben Stein takes a moment to fiddle with his pocket, then slowly puts on sun glasses] grizzly. [The Who plays in the background and Ben Stein very calmly throw up the horns.]

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Good ol' Ben thinks that bananas are proof of a plan, so you win: nothing is muddle-proof as long as he lives.

I meant actual vomit moratorium. Please bring on the fountains of fictional vomit. Nothing spices up interminable dialogue like an explosion of sympathetic chain yarfing. Bonus if someone in the scene is named Ralph.

(Also, I wish I had been so productive during my unemployment... You still have 10 days! Beat Nano 2014 TWICE.)

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

BOOM!

34,997 words! I'm finally caught up! Even if I'm at the climax of the story, I'm still gonna make it!
It's happening!
:woop: IT'S HAPPENING! :woop:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Managed to get past one of the last sections that made me most nervous. I know barely anything about rocket science outside of Kerbal Space Program and this section had characters discussing designing a rocket like the design proposed by Kazimierz Siemienowicz.

Some how got through it though and I'm at 33,892! Tomorrow is an industrial accident! After that, Lady Spy Who Likes Pistol-whipping makes another appearance, a bunch of flames and explosions and it's over.

Just gotta keep chugging...

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
Two days ago, I put down 500 words and said screw it, then spent the rest of the day playing Hyrule Warriors.

Yesterday I wrote 5,100 words. :hfive:

I guess a little break was all I needed. Also I'm over 40k and my characters are about to strap dynamite to themselves and descend into the tomb to blow up the Lovecraftian horror they've unearthed. Feelin' like I just might pull this off!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I made jambalaya last night instead of making my whole wordcount. Now I'm further behind, but I have delicious jambalaya. Winning of a sort. Reading that you guys are kicking rear end gets me pumped, though. I think I'll get a poo poo load written tonight.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Jesus Christ, turns out I hate writing action so much it is physically painful. Good job deciding to write about space marines, Self.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Remora posted:

Jesus Christ, turns out I hate writing action so much it is physically painful. Good job deciding to write about space marines, Self.

When I write action I try and think of over-the-top dumb stuff so at least it's interesting even if I can't write it too well.

Still waiting for the right story to break out my Arctic magic pirate-ship ambush scene I wrote for a dead project.

I guess there's something dumb about my method, but it can't hurt to come up with some spectacle to slam some words into. Try and make the action situation interesting, is what I mean.

Maybe there's some sort of gunfight in a weird gravity zone and there's like two spaceships and they can like run on the outside of the spaceships and they have to leap between them as they careen around some odd source of gravity. But for some reason the weird gravity makes their guns not work so instead they're just leaping around these ships just punching one another and floating around.

e:
Or a characters get in an intense surprise gunfight pinned down in an asteroid mine. His gun is burnt out / low on battery. All he has to make it out of the tunnels filling with the enemy is a set of ten throwing knives and his packed lunch box. TWIST: There's funky gravity in the mines.

PoshAlligator fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 22, 2014

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Hit 35,935. I'm actually kind of proud of myself. This year I haven't fallen behind once - a long way from my first year where I struggled to break 15,000.

The main character threw up, but in his defense he just had to watch a man pulled out of an industrial fire and hold him down as another character sawed the man's leg off and cauterized the wound.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
That's a pretty good throwing-up excuse. Mine just got punched really hard in the gut. Dwarf Fortress has taught me that this is cause for vomiting.

I'm trailing at 31200 words, but my aim is to put in a spree today and break 35,000. If I can do that I'm golden.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
And as per usual, I'm not going to finish. There's no way I can get 50K 8 days. Next year I guess.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I found an iPhone app, (WriteSmith) that can use dictation. I'm encouraged. Nano says I'll need to hit 4,500 words per day to hit 50K. I'm hoping to use this dictation to bring my novel back to life.

That said, if I miss it this year, I don't care. I'm going to finish the drat book.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

So I totally got to 50k over the weekend. Now I've decided to change the focus of the thing and change the job of the two leads to something quite different and most of the plot.... so probably not much of it will stay in draft 2, but eh, it got me somewhere better so that's okay I guess.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Hit 38,944

Everything's pretty disjointed. There's a lot of skipping around and poo poo, but i'm mostly sticking to my outline, and I'm coming up with some ideas to knit everything into something hopefully coherent.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I crossed the 50,000 mark yesterday but decided I wanted to stick on an epilogue to tie it all together. Final word count was over 52,000 words. Not terrible and it makes two in a row for me. My December project is to look at the monstrosity I made last year and try and work it into something readable as an exercise in editing. I think this year's project overall is a hell of a lot more coherent, but it's going to need a serious effort before it's something I'll be proud of. But that's just part of the process I think.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Tambaloneus posted:

So I totally got to 50k over the weekend.

Atlas Hugged posted:

I crossed the 50,000 mark yesterday but decided I wanted to stick on an epilogue to tie it all together. Final word count was over 52,000 words.

Congratulations you guys!

I decided to spend Saturday going over and organising my old plot notes from years ago, rather than making a big push for words. The result is I now have a much clearer idea of where each plot arc of the book is going and how it's getting there. The downside is I only just passed 35k words this morning. It's going to take a bit of effort to win but I think I can still do it, and I'm feeling much better about the stuff I'm writing than I was last week.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Look at all these winners!

I finally broke 35k but did not write as much as I wanted to this weekend. Think I'll spend time at lunch whipping up an outline to ease writing this last big glob of story, and then I should be good to go.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Banged out enough to get to 40,488.

I was iffy on the scene I had planned for today. I felt like it might be redundant due to some earlier crap I wrote. So instead I went back to the beginning and wrote a bit more about Lady Spy to show how she infiltrated an organization (Hint: Bribery and primitive cryptography).

Also so I could have her glass a dude with a beer mug and threaten to take out his eye with a shard of glass.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

So, it has begun again. At about 41,000 words, today, I finished early. That's right, I climaxed too early and need to fill in the last 9,000 words.

The plan? The race of Mumes in my story are crazy about their sport, NeBall. So, I'm now writing about that. Basically, it's volleyball with magic, because Volleyball needs more fire and teleportation.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Grimwit posted:

So, it has begun again. At about 41,000 words, today, I finished early. That's right, I climaxed too early and need to fill in the last 9,000 words.

The plan? The race of Mumes in my story are crazy about their sport, NeBall. So, I'm now writing about that. Basically, it's volleyball with magic, because Volleyball needs more fire and teleportation.

One of the easier ways to fill some space it to write interludes. It can really help to write stuff that's tangentially related to the main story, but still exists on its own. It helped me fill out a good 5k words in one day, while also giving me something good to write about once the month is over.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

inthesto posted:

One of the easier ways to fill some space it to write interludes. It can really help to write stuff that's tangentially related to the main story, but still exists on its own. It helped me fill out a good 5k words in one day, while also giving me something good to write about once the month is over.

Thought about a couple of felfs on vacation in the city the book takes place in, then the need to Volleyball hit.
Worse case scenario, if I can't get this to work, I'll sink to my baser instincts and write sloppy fanfic scenes of my own book. Something Something choke-sex. Man, I need to stop watching Archer before NaNoWriMo writing.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Hit 42,056 with the main characters taking a road trip to the front with rockets disguised as cannon.

I also ended up adding more mythology. Apparently, the world was once ruled by a cool and good god-dragon and there's myths that he's buried under a giant dormant volcano. Who knew.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
The central location of my story is a caldera. Retired volcanoes are great.

I'm only 2.9k behind now. I'm catching up! :woop: My morale was starting to give out a little so I put in a little therapeutic game-time. It helped.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I am behind, I hate my story, I don't want to write any more, life is pain

ART

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
I'm done! 50,205 words. The second draft will be probably be a good 10k longer, considering how many times I went "eh, gently caress it. I don't feel like writing this part right now - let me just put a quick outline of the rest of the chapter here" while writing. Also I stuck the most improbable sequel hook in the last 500 words and I kind of want to sit down and start writing it. (The evil monolith that caused all the bad things to happen to the protagonist has reappeared - at the top of Mount Everest! And now a bunch of people who've summited before are going to climb the mountain AND it to set the new world record! And EVIL will happen!)

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

RedTonic posted:

The central location of my story is a caldera. Retired volcanoes are great.

There's actually two volcanoes in mine. That dormant one that's there just for scenery, and a second that is going to go Vesuvius on some poor schmucks if I write myself into a corner and need to bail out.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
I'm about on par.

I've got a beginning and an end I mostly like. But the middle parts are only going to make the barest amount of sense in this draft if I'm lucky.

On the surface my novel is sort of mystery/detective, but in reality I think it's more thriller. There's strange, unpredictable poo poo happening that they've just got to sort of deal with.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Falling behind really does take a huge poo poo on your momentum and enthusiasm for the job. I've been trying to combat this by writing really awkward conversations into the story for my personal entertainment. Helps me work on my dialogue skills anyway.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
39,200. Trying to write over 2000 each day this week.

Get up, go to work, write in lunch break, come home, do chores, write until midnight, sleep. I could really use a break but I want to spare myself from having to spend the whole weekend grinding out 10k words.

Edit:

RedTonic posted:

Falling behind really does take a huge poo poo on your momentum and enthusiasm for the job. I've been trying to combat this by writing really awkward conversations into the story for my personal entertainment. Helps me work on my dialogue skills anyway.

Funny thing about this. I found at the start of the month that I did best if I was constantly a little bit behind, like 500 words or so. The one time I got ahead, I was so pleased with myself I did hardly any writing the next day and I've been struggling to catch up ever since. :downs:

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Nov 26, 2014

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Screw it! Starting a new story to fill out that last 9,000 mords was a mistake! A big Mistake!

inthesto posted:

Gonna try this. Gonna dig deep into the Heroine's sick childhood to explain why she wants to be hunted down and tortured to death! Why not? I got nothing else left to say!

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Popular Human posted:

Also I stuck the most improbable sequel hook in the last 500 words and I kind of want to sit down and start writing it. (The evil monolith that caused all the bad things to happen to the protagonist has reappeared - at the top of Mount Everest! And now a bunch of people who've summited before are going to climb the mountain AND it to set the new world record! And EVIL will happen!)
This sounds legitimately entertaining

Meanwhile, I was just trying to keep writing a little bit (~100-200 words) every day, but even that has failed :v: and don't even ask about my attempt to get back into working on my comic for NaNoMangO...

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Got to 43,574 - I just hope it sticks because the NaNo site is hosed up for me.

Had a concerning moment where I realized the area I was writing about had buildings of rammed earth and stone shingles - not really conducive to incendiaries. Until I realized artillery could crack open the crunchy shell and get at the creamy, flammable goodness within.

A mattock makes for a surprisingly fun prop to have someone play around with while musing on the best way to firebomb a village.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Coincidentally, I'm getting into a scene where the protagonist accidentally burns down a castle town. The local lord had been working to rebuild all the previously wooden defenses with stone in defiance of a central edict that lords had to get permission before building stone fortifications. The out of control fire is the result of the protagonist trying to conceal that she murdered the lord's daughter with a little arson, and being more successful than desired/anticipated.

My protagonist isn't coming out as very sympathetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I've caught up now but I can't promise I won't finish the month by adding in 6,000 instances of the word 'butt'.

• Locked thread