Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

My cat has a very severe case of feline oral resorptive lesions. He had about eight teeth out in the spring and needed more out, but the vet wanted to wait six months for him to heal. (He bounced back very fast, thank heavens.) Four months later he's drooling profusely again and losing weight. (He's up to date on his vaccines and not FIV positive.) Per his vet's advice, I'm taking him into the dedicated feline dental clinic, and I'm assuming he's going to be coming out with very few teeth (at best).

Those of you who've had toothless cats, what did you feed them? Please tell me they led long healthy lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
It'll be ok! It's really not as bad as it seems. Toothless cats actually do very well and can even eat hard food, they just eat it one piece at a time and swallow it without chewing. So after he recovers from surgery (he'll probably need to eat only wet food for a few days), pretty much feed whatever you cat will willingly eat.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Cats don't really chew their food to begin with, so it probably won't make much of a difference at all.

Also post pics of cat please.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Yeah my sister's cat has only one canine left and he eats dry and wet food just fine. Recently she's increased his wet intake, but that is because he's diabetic and like 15.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
My Newton cat keeps losing his teeth due to the resorption thing, and he does fine. He eats everything and anything with no issues...just a bit slower but he still manages to keep his title of Fat Newton.

Rand McNally
May 20, 2007
Sasha (24 year old Siamese) has had only her canines for years and hasn't had any real issues eating. She even eats hard treats, although she eats them whole. If your cat has issues to begin with, water down/use a hand blender to puree the food a bit to see if it helps.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Thank you, everybody.

By popular demand: Majestic gummycat dominates his surroundings.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
One more vote for 1) cats with teeth don't really chew (mine used to vomit up whole kibbles as proof) and 2) toothless cats do fine. I don't hesitate to recommend full-mouth extractions when it will make the cat more comfortable.

cov-hog
Apr 13, 2013
My old, old-man cat (also 12 years old) had FIV and stomatitis. He eventually had a full-mouth extraction and it wasn't a big deal. That said, he had a super bad and super scary reaction to the anesthetic that they used and took like four or five days to recover. I know I opted for the 'cheap' anesthetic because the whole thing was already $1200, but I'd never do that again. Definitely pay for better anesthetic if you have options-- it's much better than watching your glassy-eyed cat walk in circles for days without recognizing anybody or anything.

Sea Pancake
Dec 2, 2013
My cat has all his teeth but we still water down his dry food a bit for him- it gets more moisture in without being as expensive as canned food.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
You can give him whatever but it can't really hurt to give your cat an all-wet diet either way.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Unfortunately, he doesn't believe that wet food is real food. He is willing to snack on it, but food is kibble.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

If he ends up having a hard time with kibble (unlikely) just sprinkle warm water over his kibble to soften it.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
My old cat lived the last 6 years of his 18 year life on a diet of canned food further diluted with a bit of cat milk and he loved every minute of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
My cats are both 2 years old, healthy and spry, but hardly chew their food. Like Dr. Chaco said, I've seen vomited kibbles as proof.
I'm sure your kitty will be just fine. Maybe try several varieties of wet food to see if there's something he will accept? Or mix a little wet in with his usual kibble to see if you can slowly transition him to eating both.

He is beautiful!!

• Locked thread