Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

berryjon posted:

There were some.... technical difficulties with the Skirmish recording this evening. Nothing insurmountable, but I didn't get a viable audio for everyone.

So I went out and recorded the first three missions of Cataclysm instead.

And if anyone wants to try and get into a Commentating session, the doors are open again!

I could do some commentary. I actually played Cataclysm before I picked up the original, and found it's multiplayer more fun, so in a way, I'm more familiar with the Cataclysm mechanics and story than the first game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

berryjon posted:

There were some.... technical difficulties with the Skirmish recording this evening. Nothing insurmountable, but I didn't get a viable audio for everyone.

So I went out and recorded the first three missions of Cataclysm instead.

And if anyone wants to try and get into a Commentating session, the doors are open again!

Do you need a brand new nevertouchedcataclysm commentator to ask the newbie questions? If time permits, I might be interested.

Please be aware that I haven't touched Homeworld since maybe 2002 tho, so I would be extremely rusty and may not remember stuff properly..

Yeah you might want another person :sigh:

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

FredMSloniker posted:

You mean like this?

(Bonus version, sped up:)

Ha, this is awesome! I feel like the perfect ω would be somewhere between these two, but hey I'm already the beggar.

This model is such an anomaly to me though, I found it on GIS and it's not the original, and it predates the re-release announcement, so who knows it may just be somebody's fanproject. I have no idea.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

ack doublepost

VVVVVV Seems like 90 or 100 would be about perfect then.

The Protagonist fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 16, 2014

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

The Protagonist posted:

Ha, this is awesome! I feel like the perfect ω would be somewhere between these two, but hey I'm already the beggar.
The first one has a 140 ms frame delay; the second has a 50 ms frame delay. Pick a number (multiple of 10) and I can rerender it for you.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
Finally got around to uploading some pictures of hw stuff I found in a box on thanksgiving.
http://imgur.com/a/ukh2M

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Word of warning, those are mostly about Cataclysm, so if you don't want some (Very minor) spoilers about the next game, wait until it is played to click that link.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, the beautiful manuals of old.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
I remember getting hw2 and opening the box to see the manual it came with and being really disappointed, compared to the previous two it seemed really :effort: . Wish I had a scanner, those pics are done with a cell phone and are kind of :effort:

E: The polish that the manuals have is another really charming thing about the series and I hope the remake makes them available to people new to the series. Also :argh: to the lovely box art they went with on hw2.

Crash74 fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 17, 2014

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
My Homeworld manuals fell apart. I loved them to death!

Fortunately I have the PDFs from the Sierra re-release of HW1, but my battered HWC manual has a place of honour on my bookshelf. It's a little disjointed - the choice of ships to describe is a mish-mash of seemingly random selections from the HW1 canon - but the fluff is some of the best writing in games period.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I've said this earlier in the thread but I'll say it again, reading that manual makes the game all the more tragic. You learn about the entire history and culture of the Kushan, which is only lightly touched upon in the opening cinematic, only to have it wiped from existence once you start playing Mission 3. It's one hell of a player punch.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 19, 2014

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Tambuur would have made an excellent expansion campaign.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
So I take the cheap way out. Hey, if the enemy isn't prepared for it, I might as well, right?

And just a reminder - it can take two hours to fully perform the trick in the second video, so if you want to, make sure you have plenty of time available!

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
-Excerpt from a Taiidan Defense Command meeting-

Officer A: "We are to defend the hyperspace inhibitor with a huge ball of ion cannon frigates against the Kushan."
Officer B: "What if the enemy just use attack bombers which will rip them to shreds?"
Officer A: "That won't happen."
Officer B: "Oooook, so what happens if the enemy attacks the ball then? Do we mobilize like half of the ball to crush them with overwhelming firepower, or we just have a few to respond while the rest us just sit there and look like idiots?"
Officer A: "You are asking too many meaningful questions! You are fired!"

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

And that's when Officer B took his flagship Capella and said gently caress this, I'm out.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I forget, does the Kushan carrier have 2 fighter hangers, or am I forgetting?

And of course I ask this and you built a Kushan carrier in the bonus video.

Also, just make sure the battle is happening ABOVE your Kushan carrier. Since the top is properly armoured.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Dec 19, 2014

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

berryjon posted:

So I take the cheap way out. Hey, if the enemy isn't prepared for it, I might as well, right?

Even after 14 episodes, I'm still blown away by how beautiful and atmospheric this game is, both visually and audially. It's a real delight to watch.

Also, I just realised that in my head, Berryjon now sounds like Fleet Command.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Well that's certainly a way to take the ball and go home. I used a proximity sensor to kite them, it's just as fast as a scout, can move freely and has no fuel. Also it can find the small cloaked fleet consisting of a couple destroyers and some frigates that I recall is prowling around that map. And they really hate prox sensors, I mean to the point that every ship in the ball will pursue that little sensor to the exclusion of all else. If Cataclysm's waypoint system was in HW1 I could have had them running around after it forever.

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

Palladium posted:

Officer A: "We are to defend the hyperspace inhibitor with a huge ball of ion cannon frigates against the Kushan."
Officer B: "What if the enemy just use attack bombers which will rip them to shreds?"
Officer B: "Oooook, so what happens if the enemy attacks the ball then? Do we mobilize like half of the ball to crush them with overwhelming firepower, or we just have a few to respond while the rest us just sit there and look like idiots?"
-Excerpt from Taiidan Hyperspace Inhibitor Zeta Defence Fleet during Kushan/Hiigaraan breakthrough-

Officer C: "Gentlemen, the Hyperspace Inhibitor is under attack. We're getting intermittent readings of fighter-class signatures in that area, but they vanish almost as soon as they appear."
Officer D: "FOR GOD'S SAKE, THEY'RE USING CLOAKED FIGHTERS! COME DOWN HERE AND HELP!"
Officer E: "I drove off one of their resource collectors with my section. The Secret Police can't say we didn't fight with the enemy. No other contact."
Officer C: "On the other hand, they're only attacking the Hyperspace Inhibitor. All in favour of 'mobilizing' in utterly random directions and not getting ourselves killed?"
Officer E through Z: "Aye"
Officer C: "Motion carried. Scrub your communication records thoroughly. No need to get them on our asses."
Officer D: "Work on a Support Frigate, they said. No danger at all, they said. Instead, I'm sitting here, watching cloaked fighters blowing poo poo up around me and hoping they don't decide to make sport of my ship. I really hate you guys."
Officer F: "Play it cool, D. Act like nothing wrong is happening."
Officer D: "Play it cool. Play it cool. Play it... Oh God. The fighter jockeys are trying to force a fight."
Officer C: "Who the Hell launched the damned fighters?!"
Officer D: "We're going to die. We are so going to die. Oh God, why?... The Fighters are gone. They're attacking the Inhibitor again."
Officer F: "See? Nothing to worry about. Oh, look! A possible enemy contact that isn't totally a glitch in my system! Going to investigate."
Officer D: "Inhibitor is gone. Thank God it was an automated system. The Exile Fighters aren't reappearing... I think they're gone."
Officer C: "Outbound Hyperspace signature detected... They're gone."
Officer D: "... All in favour of joining the Rebels before the Emperor or his Elite Guard decide to visit?"
Officer C through Z: "Aye."
Officer C: "Let's get out of here."

---

Really too bad you didn't retire the Taiidan Carrier for a Kushan Carrier, though.

Delta Green fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 19, 2014

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Ah yes, this game's most infamous mission. I took advantage of the brain dead AI in this mission and stole almost all of the ion cannon frigates. Here's how my play through of that mission went:

:downs: "I'm gonna go check out that proxy sensor that is totally not a trap all by myself."

:hehe: (sics salvage corvettes on the poor lonely frigate)

:saddowns: "Oh no it was totally a trap. I am dumb for not bringing backup"

:hehe: "Welcome to the Kushan fleet, bitch. Now go join the other stupid idiots we caught."

:saddowns: "So you all got caught too?"

:sigh: "Yep."

It took me almost 4 hours to harvest most of the little bastards. For some weird reason, the rest decided to run away. Cowards. I had about 80 of the buggers by the time I was done, I caught about a hundred of them but retired a few to help rebuild my forces. Lets just say the additional firepower really helped out in the last few missions. Also, seeing a hundred ion beams go off is a glorious sight.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 19, 2014

berryjon
May 30, 2011

It is possible to glitch the Big Ball into moving away from the Inhibitor, with the ships leaving the playable map area. I have no idea what causes that to happen, or to determine in what direction they go.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I think it happens when you trigger the cutscene by "entering the ball". Somehow the point on which the sphere formation is centered gets shifted and the ICFs violate the level boundary when moving to their new relative positions in the formation

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Palladium posted:

Officer B: "What if the enemy just use attack bombers salvage frigates which will rip them to shreds? take them only a few hours to take over our fleet?"

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
I can't believe Homeworld is 15 years old now! Finishing that campaign for the first time, those credits playing... good times. Hopefully gearbox will release the remastered edition next year, I really really want to see a new generation introduced to the awesomeness that is homeworld (and homeworld MP). You can feel that this game was a labour of love on the part of Relic, has a lot of soul :p

The homeworld multiplayer scene was pretty intense for a while after release, then people migrated towards EVE.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Kellanved posted:

I can't believe Homeworld is 15 years old now! Finishing that campaign for the first time, those credits playing... good times. Hopefully gearbox will release the remastered edition next year, I really really want to see a new generation introduced to the awesomeness that is homeworld (and homeworld MP). You can feel that this game was a labour of love on the part of Relic, has a lot of soul :p

The homeworld multiplayer scene was pretty intense for a while after release, then people migrated towards EVE.

I'm hoping the multiplayer scene will be strong after release of the remastered edition. One of my regret when it comes to homeworld, was that I only got to play a few times against real opponents. Its something I am really looking forward to.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

I need to catch up on the videos but I distinctly remember a full half of the ball converging upon me when I started attacking. Maybe I'm just injecting drama to my memory.

Nevertheless I eventually went in with a huge wing of bombers with rotating cloak generators for perma cloak and took out the inhibitor that way.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

The Protagonist posted:

I need to catch up on the videos but I distinctly remember a full half of the ball converging upon me when I started attacking. Maybe I'm just injecting drama to my memory.

Nevertheless I eventually went in with a huge wing of bombers with rotating cloak generators for perma cloak and took out the inhibitor that way.

I've been playing along with the LP and when I saw the interior the entire ball shifted down about 30 km. This was fine since I was punching a whole the Mayflower, the Titanic and the entire Atlantic Ocean could have come through, but it was surprising to see about 12-18 Ion cannons shift into the attack zone.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy
I never knew cloaked fighters could haul so much rear end, even if there's 40 of them. I usually have 2-3 cruisers and 7-8 destroyers hitting the inhibitor and it takes a while to take it down.

berryjon posted:

It is possible to glitch the Big Ball into moving away from the Inhibitor, with the ships leaving the playable map area. I have no idea what causes that to happen, or to determine in what direction they go.

That's the uber cheese that I was talking about earlier, but I didn't want to go into further detail so as to avoid spoilers.

If you see about 20(?) km below the hyperspace inhibitor, there's a cloaked ship. Even with a proxy sensor nothing appears there, but there's a cloaked ion frigate that you can't even proxy spot. It will attack anything that appears in the blue sphere that the sensors array spots. You can destroy it, but the sensor bubble still remains present. I've never manaed to find what's there so I have to assume that it's a set piece used by the mission for purpose unknown.

If, knowing THIS position, you fire a probe at the start of the mission, so that the probe will travel close or through this area, then the ion ships will all just shuffle off to the right, with many of them going outside the edges of the "map".

Everything about this map screams afterthought or "gently caress it, we need another mission to squeeze in there".

OFFICER A: "The exiles are here sir, we stand ready and have 120 ion frigates surrounding the inhibitor. They'll never get thr..."
COMMS: "Enemy signature detected, it's moving at 4000kps towards the inhibitor, but it's off course."
OFFICER B: "My God! A probe?! They're attacking with a probe".
COMMAND: "Move all frigates 200km across from the inhibitor. Let the exiles through, there's no way we can stand against a probe. I'm not sending my men to die for nothing!"

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Squish posted:

OFFICER B: "My God! A probe?! They're attacking with a probe".

This is not a joke. Probes have a stupidly high damage threshold when they get scuttled and explode in place. I think they got an extra 0 or two put in that point of their data.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

berryjon posted:

This is not a joke. Probes have a stupidly high damage threshold when they get scuttled and explode in place. I think they got an extra 0 or two put in that point of their data.

Yeah, a fun thing in multiplayer was sending a probe to your opponents fighters, then scuttling it at just the right time. The explosion could take out a couple of them. Nearly impossible to get right though.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You could theoretically bombard motherships with them, though.

Anyway, if you want to really have fun with the deathball mission, try doing it as the Taiidan. Without salvaging. It's probably the hardest battle in the game but it feels awesome to pull off.

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

Smarter than the average Blair.

Squish posted:

I never knew cloaked fighters could haul so much rear end, even if there's 40 of them. I usually have 2-3 cruisers and 7-8 destroyers hitting the inhibitor and it takes a while to take it down.

That's the uber cheese that I was talking about earlier, but I didn't want to go into further detail so as to avoid spoilers.

If you see about 20(?) km below the hyperspace inhibitor, there's a cloaked ship. Even with a proxy sensor nothing appears there, but there's a cloaked ion frigate that you can't even proxy spot. It will attack anything that appears in the blue sphere that the sensors array spots. You can destroy it, but the sensor bubble still remains present. I've never manaed to find what's there so I have to assume that it's a set piece used by the mission for purpose unknown.

If, knowing THIS position, you fire a probe at the start of the mission, so that the probe will travel close or through this area, then the ion ships will all just shuffle off to the right, with many of them going outside the edges of the "map".

Sounds like the ball of Ion Frigates is in sphere formation around this ship; if you send the proxy sensor through its attack radius it tries to pursue it; the ships in sphere formation follow (obviously), and you can waltz your fleet through the gate.

That's about the correct level of AI retardation for this mission.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I once endeavored to capture every single ICF in this mission without triggering the Inhibitor cutscene and confusing the Ball. It took a very VERY long time, micromanaging three carriers and capture groups. The hardest part were the ICFs at the far side of the ball, as they're very close to the map boundary. What took even longer was retiring all of those ion frigates. I'm not sure if it was due to the large number of ships all waiting to retire or what, but it messed with the ship movement AI, resulting in them chugging along at a snail's pace. I had to leave Homeworld running in the background for over 50 hours for them all to retire.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

anilEhilated posted:

You could theoretically bombard motherships with them, though.

Probe golf! Probably not a smart use of RUs, but very entertaining.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The cutscene at the end of that mission is magnificent. It's a real pulse-pounding, heart-thumping burst of dramatic music and preparation. This is it - the Homeworld system.

In the days before youtube, I went to some lengths to seek out or extract the music from that little scene. I still keep it around, and play it for dramatic moments.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Loxbourne posted:

The cutscene at the end of that mission is magnificent. It's a real pulse-pounding, heart-thumping burst of dramatic music and preparation. This is it - the Homeworld system.

In the days before youtube, I went to some lengths to seek out or extract the music from that little scene. I still keep it around, and play it for dramatic moments.

Yeah, I love that military march music, gets you hype for kicking some Imperial faces into the goddamn dirt and freeing your Homeworld.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Let's go home.

(The Guidestone atop the Pillar of the Angel Moon)

Thank you for watching. I will see you in 2015 with Homeworld: Cataclysm, and Homeworld 2.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

berryjon posted:

Let's go home.

(The Guidestone atop the Pillar of the Angel Moon)

Thank you for watching. I will see you in 2015 with Homeworld: Cataclysm, and Homeworld 2.

That ending narration was kind of weird how it was done by the guy who did the voice of the Bentusi. For a second I thought the Bentusi came in and stole Hiigara away at the last second.

Anyway, good LP, looking forward to Cataclysm! That was my introduction to the series, and always holds a special place in my heart.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender
A great LP, thanks for doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

And the Kushan celebrated by throwing a Yes concert, at least that's how it goes in my mind. I had no clue who Yes was until finishing this game, and became an instant fan.

That ending too, drat. I cried manly tears when I finally got them home during my play-through, no video game has ever made me do that, that's just how awesome this game's campaign is.

I also want to say that the use of Adagio for Strings for the final mission was brilliant. While it was the theme of tragedy in mission 3, it becomes a theme of badassery in mission 16. It basically says "This is OUR homeworld, and nothing you can throw at us will stop us from taking it back!" :black101:

So yeah, Homeworld's campaign kicks rear end.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Dec 26, 2014

• Locked thread