Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
If only the Banana Ship could fatality-kill the Emperor Ham Ship with a massive collision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Great campaign, and a fantastic play-through of same. More games need to end with prog rock anthems.

Speaking of anthems, the Community Homeworld Soundtrack makes for excellent listening, though I find it often gives me an urge to quit what I'm doing and build multigun corvettes.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Congratulations with the LP. The part where Karen stated her demand to be the last to set foot on Hiigara sent shivers down my spine. It really brought home that she was on the Kushan's side through and through and that their well being takes precedence.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
It's always great to revisit an old classic. Thanks for the LP, and look forward to seeing you in Cataclysm!

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Thank you so much for the feels, the nostalgia, and for sharing with the youth this amazing game. See you for Cataclysm.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
This mission actually gets a fair bit easier if you managed to keep some multi-beam frigates. Those fuckers drill through cruisers like no tomorrow.
Enough's been said about how amazing the story and presentation is; great LP, onward to the best HW game!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

That 'last' wave with the 20 frigates and one heavy cruiser is the trap wave intended to lure you out.

Though prolonging the captian's life requires you to know what's coming. Since you have to move your carrier(s) forward so your strike craft can be in range to clear out the bombers.

though this mission is pretty much "stay near the Mothership you maroon!" Until Captain Elsen shows up to die foolishly.I know it's only a Destroyer and 6 Ion frigates. Still.

Also nice of your cloaked fighters to show off why I dislike support frigates for docking fighters. IE their habit of catching beam shots on the landing deck of said frigates.

A path of Destruction and Salvaged capital ships.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
That ending iis great although it was too easy for me because I stole 50 Ion cannon frigates at bridge of sighs.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
I must have missed a detail or didn't understand what the cutscene between 16 and 17 meant. The Taidan emperor had some way to make Karen into shock which he/she/it only used as a last resort?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I'm guessing the hiigarans did not build much into the way of ECM on the mothership, since it was not constructed for war.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

wolffenstein posted:

I must have missed a detail or didn't understand what the cutscene between 16 and 17 meant. The Taidan emperor had some way to make Karen into shock which he/she/it only used as a last resort?

I think one of the manuals say that the emperor is psychic.

Starbridge64
Jun 5, 2013
What an ending to this great game, can't wait for more when we get into Catalysm. The concept art during the credits are pretty cool.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Yep, still a good ending story. Congrats on this LP, can't wait for Cataclysm.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

A good LP. Shame the Kushan Heavy Cruiser didn't get shown off a bit more, though. It won't be returning for Cataclysm, unlike its Imperial counterpart. Seriously, there's none in the entire game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's the same as the Taiidan one, except ugly.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

wolffenstein posted:

That scene always bugged me a bit too. Suddenly they can attack us while we're in Hyperspace and on our ship what!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I always felt it was implied that the Taiidan Emperor was psychic to some extent, or just so old and steeped in evil that he'd developed the Homeworld version of the Dark Side of the Force. Or maybe he was one of the Unbound(minor spoiler, not really worth tagging: People who're completely merged with their ships, and no longer really functional for normal people stuff), like Karan, and that gave him some sort of contact to knock her brain out of whack. Hell if I know.

But I never minded it, much, it was a neat touch, and I love that Homeworld's universe has a bit more mystery to it.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Dabir posted:

A good LP. Shame the Kushan Heavy Cruiser didn't get shown off a bit more, though. It won't be returning for Cataclysm, unlike its Imperial counterpart. Seriously, there's none in the entire game.

Yeah there are, in the background of a few of the in-mission scripted sequences. I'm pretty sure there's one in the first mission, even.

We had some discussion about the emperor's attack-thing earlier in the thread. I figured it was ECM too, or hacking. Oddly enough the manual descriptions for Taiidan ships repeatedly mention ECM - their minelayer was refitted from an ECM corvette, their salvager is supposed to have sophisticated ECM, one of their other corvettes and some of their fighters are mentioned as having ECM capabilities or a co-pilot to manage the electronics. I wonder if it was a planned mechanic that didn't make it into the final game?

That finale is still beautiful. A friend of mine pointed out that Homeworld does a simple, subtle subversion of player expectations - the usual space opera cliché is for space to be an ocean. To the Kushan space travel is crossing a desert, and at the end you arrive at a watery paradise.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Fitting with the whole Hiigara/hijrah or Exodus theme.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Loxbourne posted:

Yeah there are, in the background of a few of the in-mission scripted sequences. I'm pretty sure there's one in the first mission, even.

We had some discussion about the emperor's attack-thing earlier in the thread. I figured it was ECM too, or hacking. Oddly enough the manual descriptions for Taiidan ships repeatedly mention ECM - their minelayer was refitted from an ECM corvette, their salvager is supposed to have sophisticated ECM, one of their other corvettes and some of their fighters are mentioned as having ECM capabilities or a co-pilot to manage the electronics. I wonder if it was a planned mechanic that didn't make it into the final game?

That finale is still beautiful. A friend of mine pointed out that Homeworld does a simple, subtle subversion of player expectations - the usual space opera cliché is for space to be an ocean. To the Kushan space travel is crossing a desert, and at the end you arrive at a watery paradise.

Not even in the first mission. Plenty of destroyers and carriers, but no cruisers.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
I've always liked what they did with Fleet Command on the last mission. It is not debilitating, but adds that little bit extra on the difficulty. And yeah, the attack was probably Unbound space magic ECM - Karen is a relatively new ship-person, and maybe old Emps has more experience in how to disrupt the average unbound.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
Just got an email from Amazon regarding the remastered edition.

The place holder has been updated to January 4th 2016.... Which basicly means that Gearbox still has no idea when they will be able to release it :(

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy
I'm disappointed. At the end of Mission 15 you totally wasted an opportunity for a Christmas themed joke

(12 days of Christmas) :haw:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I think he was attempting one, but didn't have all the correct numbers of ships to do it.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
The battles were noticeably better framed this time around. Good job! The scenes with all the battles going around the Mothership are particularly great, looking like an angry beehive defending itself against some enemy.

On to Cataclysm I guess, I don't remember much of it, but I'm sure I played it at some point. I hope there are more crazy ships, Kadeshi style. The main factions of HW1 don't have much in the way of crazy designs, maybe the Grav-Well. Also we might be getting an image quality upgrade? I thought berryjon was having trouble with HW1's graphics.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I think on one playthrough I managed to save Captain Elsen, maybe by chasing after him with missile destroyer? Keeping him alive at the end battle was a bit of a pain as I recall.

Hmm. Might actually be harder than keeping Dogmeat alive in the final area of Fallout, though I have done that before as well.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Jet Jaguar posted:

I think on one playthrough I managed to save Captain Elsen, maybe by chasing after him with missile destroyer? Keeping him alive at the end battle was a bit of a pain as I recall.

Hmm. Might actually be harder than keeping Dogmeat alive in the final area of Fallout, though I have done that before as well.

You can send your Carriers with him and build a crap ton of strike crafts and Frigates to draw fire. You might have to retire your active ships when done defending the Mothership for RU's and fleet limit.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Markovnikov posted:

On to Cataclysm I guess, I don't remember much of it, but I'm sure I played it at some point. I hope there are more crazy ships, Kadeshi style. The main factions of HW1 don't have much in the way of crazy designs, maybe the Grav-Well. Also we might be getting an image quality upgrade? I thought berryjon was having trouble with HW1's graphics.

Cataclysm definitely ups the ante on interesting designs, since almost every single ship has some sort of special ability, as I recall it, and while I believe most of the HW1 Kushan and Taidaani ships still exist in the game, and we even meet a lot of them...

Spoilered just in case: We won't be using them

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

Cataclysm definitely ups the ante on interesting designs, since almost every single ship has some sort of special ability, as I recall it, and while I believe most of the HW1 Kushan and Taidaani ships still exist in the game, and we even meet a lot of them...

Spoilered just in case: We won't be using them

You do get free access to some (even if they push you over the support limit) in the middle of the mission where the Kuun-Lan is ambushed by the Taiidan. A couple of destroyers and some Ion Frigates I think. Which you promptly retire because the Somtaaw destroyers are far superior and there are far more useful things than Ion Frigates in Cataclysm.

Zudrag
Oct 7, 2009
Thanks for doing this LP! I look forward to Cataclysm! This is probably one of my most played games growing up.

I never payed attention to credits until I got older. I noticed Valve was credited for beta testing. I even saw Geoff Keighly and Peter Molyneux thanked in the credits.

Anyone know of any place where some of the development of Homeworld was catalogued? I'd be interested in reading it.

Veloxyll posted:

That scene always bugged me a bit too. Suddenly they can attack us while we're in Hyperspace and on our ship what!

Psychic space magic because she was close enough or something. :iiam:

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Thanks so much for this LP, Berryjon. It was wonderful.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

there can be no peace until everyone is safe

Ghostwoods posted:

Thanks so much for this LP, Berryjon. It was wonderful.

Here here! I watched it because I loved playing Homeworld and wanted to see it again (and secrety stuff that I hadn't figured out, which you totally delivered on) and now I'm probably going to put my old copy to work and replaying it.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy
Absolutely - nice work berryjon.

And that comment you put in, something along the lines of "how many of you watched this, because you already played and knew what was coming" was absolutely spot on the mark. It's just that good of a delivery of a somewhat classic story.

"Gearbox: Don't gently caress this up". Again, this is about as succinct and accurate as it gets.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
Has Gearbox done anything but gently caress things up? I mean, the last time they put out a quality product was, what, Half Life: Opposing Force?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

The Casualty posted:

Has Gearbox done anything but gently caress things up? I mean, the last time they put out a quality product was, what, Half Life: Opposing Force?
Borderlands 2 is a lot of fun even with all the stupid decisions the devs took. Of course, then they destroyed any credit they might have had by participating on Duke Nukem Forever...

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

The Casualty posted:

Has Gearbox done anything but gently caress things up?
I've never played a Gearbox game, but the way they've handled the pre-orders for HW Remastered so far hasn't inspired any confidence. Nor does some of the stuff they're planning like merging the multiplayer of both HW1 and HW2.

In addition to the Remastered versions I believe Gearbox is planning on releasing Classic versions which are just HW1 and HW2, updated to run properly on modern systems without any changes of additions. So even if they screw the Remastered version up, hopefully the Classic versions will turn out okay.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 28, 2014

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think a large part of the reason the aesthetics of this game work so well is how minimalistic they are. It's so incredibly easy to screw that up in a HD remake with all the tools at your disposal.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Fantastic. Thanks, berryjon. I've only played Cataclysm so far, but will most likely pick up the HW remake when it comes out. One question, though - I think I quite often saw you ordering your units to attack an entire enemy fleet rather than microing them by pointing them to all concentrate on individual high-priority targets in sequence (enemy capital ships, bomber wings, etc.). Does this make much of a difference?

I don't remember much about how I played Cataclysm, so I'm looking forward to seeing you do it. After seeing Homeworld, I almost wonder if the core mechanic/theme of the enemy being able to capture your ships and turn them against you in a matter of seconds was inspired by/a homage to how most people salvaged their way through the original game. Like the expansion devs saying "ha, let's see how you like it when someone does it to you!"

Homeworld's story and atmosphere was great, but I do think that the journey itself felt a little bit short and aggressive for who the Kushan exiles are meant to be - a race only just discovering and learning about deep space travel and warfare. The turnaround from "oh poo poo RUN" in the first few missions to :black101::black101::black101: felt pretty short, and if there were no detours/hyperspace interdictions it seems like we could have done the distance in just a few jumps. I was expecting there to be quite a few more missions where we'd have to sneak through backwaters and avoid detection, deal with locals oppressed by the Empire for supplies, repair the hyperdrive core, etc. Although it also seems plausible that this kind of thing might have deliberately been kept to a minimum to avoid having too much story padding, or for time constraints.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The people of Kharak were very warlike before they were united by lack of resources and the discovery of the Khar-Toba. I think that's what Shipbreakers is going to cover, the desert war scavenger industry period, but it's why they can go to war against an empire so obviously larger than they are and why they're such great engineers and innovators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
I am so very glad for Cataclysm's fast-forward function.

Once I get the next thread up, I'll post the link here for those who want to follow me into the next game.

• Locked thread