Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

The West Wing is absolute tops. I rank it over the Wire and the Sopranos (the latter of the two never really did it for me anyway).
Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What I like about the West Wing is trying to deduce Sorkin's position. Because he hates people that are on his right AND his left at the same time.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kameh posted:

Sell me on the West Wing, Lyman. Is it on Netflix? I enjoyed the first two seasons of The Newsroom, but everything except for the Neal storyline in the last season fell flat to me.
You know how people still loved Michael Jackson later in his career despite the obsession with young boys because of what he did earlier in his career? Well, The West Wing is Sorkin's Thriller.

And yes, it's on Netflix. I'm thinking 2 episodes at a time per week would be a good schedule.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 17, 2014

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

LordPants posted:

What I like about the West Wing is trying to deduce Sorkin's position. Because he hates people that are on his right AND his left at the same time.

It's pretty easy to deduce? He lives in this fantasy world where people who hold ideological beliefs are Unreasonable, and that all of our problems could be solved if Wise Men Of Good Faith just sat down together and hashed things out.

See: Fantasy Republican Candidate, The Supremes, that time they fixed Social Security in an afternoon

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Pinterest Mom posted:

It's pretty easy to deduce? He lives in this fantasy world where people who hold ideological beliefs are Unreasonable, and that all of our problems could be solved if Wise Men Of Good Faith just sat down together and hashed things out.

See: Fantasy Republican Candidate, The Supremes, that time they fixed Social Security in an afternoon

Didn't every single one of those events happen after he left the show and ceased being in any way involved with it

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Those On My Left posted:

Didn't every single one of those events happen after he left the show and ceased being in any way involved with it

Yes. The politics of the show when he was the show runner was way far to the left, compared to where it ended up after he stepped down. See: West Wing's views on charter schools pre and post Sorkin departure.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Gonna have to agree that West Wing is better than the wire. If only because the fans are better.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Kameh posted:

Sell me on the West Wing, Lyman. Is it on Netflix? I enjoyed the first two seasons of The Newsroom, but everything except for the Neal storyline in the last season fell flat to me.

I'll just post this as it's the opening of Season 2 and as someone else said, you can skip straight to season 2 (but if its your first watch, still go through Season 1). This is just an example of The West Wing near its best and will whet your appetite for the show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWy4P5uXqgE

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Thwomp posted:

I'll just post this as it's the opening of Season 2 and as someone else said, you can skip straight to season 2 (but if its your first watch, still go through Season 1). This is just an example of The West Wing near its best and will whet your appetite for the show:
SPOILERS YOU JERK!!!

Skipping season 1 is asinine.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 17, 2014

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

JohnSherman posted:

Excuse me, she was a call girl, and it was an accident.

And she was just doing it to put herself through med school so she could run a hospital in Princeton.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

SPOILERS YOU JERK!!!

Skipping season 1 is asinine.

It's not spoilers if its all setup, even still setting up from the Season 1 finale. In fact, it doesn't even reveal the biggest thing that happened you got shot.

Anyway, I'd skip season 1 but I've watched the series before. The stuff with Mandy is tedious if you know her character gets dropped by Season 2.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Thwomp posted:

It's not spoilers if its all setup, even still setting up from the Season 1 finale. In fact, it doesn't even reveal the biggest thing that happened you got shot.

Anyway, I'd skip season 1 but I've watched the series before. The stuff with Mandy is tedious if you know her character gets dropped by Season 2.

Reasons to skip season 1

-Mandy

Alternatively, just watch it and FF any scene she's in, literally nothing she does matters.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

pentyne posted:

Reasons to skip season 1

-Mandy

Alternatively, just watch it and FF any scene she's in, literally nothing she does matters.

Counterpoint: $2 banjo.

(It's still not worth it.)

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Mandy was my favourite character when I watched West Wing, and I was devastated when she vanished into a black hole for s2. :(

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

pentyne posted:

Reasons to skip season 1

-Mandy

Reasons not to skip season 1:

Martin Sheen
The Crackpots and these Women
In Excelsis Deo
Joey Lucas
A Proportional Response
Take This Sabbath Day
What Kind of Day Has it Been
It's a great season of a great show.

Why the hell do you all feel the need to min-max your TV habit?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

Gonna have to agree that West Wing is better than the wire. If only because the fans are better.

Racist!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

What does racism have to do with it?

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

JohnSherman posted:

Why the hell do you all feel the need to min-max your TV habit?

I enjoy s1 the least so i don't watch it sorru you like it more and as a result somehow cant understand why i dont.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Fetus Tree posted:

I enjoy s1 the least so i don't watch it sorru you like it more and as a result somehow cant understand why i dont.

There's a difference between not recommending a show, and recommending a show but telling someone to skip the introductory season. The first one makes sense, the latter is dumb as gently caress.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

JohnSherman posted:

There's a difference between not recommending a show, and recommending a show but telling someone to skip the introductory season. The first one makes sense, the latter is dumb as gently caress.

Unless it's Parks n Rec.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
He doesn't tell him to skip it. He says if he was rewatching it again he would skip it because he also doesnt enjoy it as much.

Sorry you don't like that people dont think its worth watching s1 on a rewatch, but i dont see people saying to skip it to any first timers.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
There were around 26 episodes of the newsroom which is about as long as the first season of WW so I say skip all of the newsroom and watch WW instead.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Fetus Tree posted:

West Wing owns. Even if i do usually skip to s2 on rewatches.

Season 2 is amazing, what's wrong with you?

Thwomp posted:

Season 1 is amazing, what's wrong with you?

And yes, that video is absolutely spoilers for the end of season 1, especially when you are speaking specifically to someone who hasn't watched the show yet. It doesn't tell you exactly what happened, but it tells you more than you should know going into the finale. I can't see why you would post that.

The West Wing is my favorite show of all time. At least the first 4 seasons. The last 3 seasons are still quite good, just not my favorite show anymore. I would listen to that podcast. Josh Lyman, if you do it, please post it in the West Wing thread.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

thrawn527 posted:

Season 2 is amazing, what's wrong with you?

They're saying the skip TO season 2

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Max posted:

They're saying the skip TO season 2

Oh, ha, I read that one as skip season 2. My mistake.

But still, don't do that.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Why would you ever skip season 1 on your first viewing (even on a rewatch I dont understand it).

The pilot is one of the best pilot episodes for any show I have watched - ever.

Beside the Mandy scenes, I can not think of a single thing in the first season that is not atleast enjoyable, if not great. If you want to skip the season on a rewatch because you dont need to be introduced to the characters/their relationships thats fine, but for a first timer it's mandatory. If you want to skip something, skip season 7 which is a bit of a drag, but on the other hand it has Jimmy Smits.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Oh my god that garage band scene was the most unintentionally cringe worthy thing I've seen on tv in a loooooooong time.

Anyone who decides to watch The West Wing and skips the first season is a big huge dummy and deserves to be hit.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Lot of people going on about skipping season one when it was never suggested that a first timer do so.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
This S1 v S2 debate and misunderstanding reminds me of The Newsroom.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Because the debate, like The Newsroom, sucks?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Newsroom and WW have the same problem - the characters are loathsome pseudo-humans who are only really happy when they're mocking epsilon semi-morons at 5x speed. Even sex pales in comparison to clowning on the inferior shitpeople and jerking each other off about it. These characters hate almost everyone who really exists in America - it's depressing to watch.

Real exception in Newsroom was Leona, as she appeared to have motivations beyond "feeling smarter than other people". And I have to give credit to the writing that she's the one to actually pull off something clever in the last episode.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 18, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

No Wave posted:

Newsroom and WW have the same problem - the characters are loathsome pseudo-humans who are only really happy when they're mocking epsilon semi-morons at 5x speed. Even sex pales in comparison to clowning on the inferior shitpeople and jerking each other off about it. These characters hate almost everyone who really exists in America - it's depressing to watch.

Real exception in Newsroom was Leona, as she appeared to have motivations beyond "feeling smarter than other people". And I have to give credit to the writing that she's the one to actually pull off something clever in the last episode.

It's pretty telling that within the first episode the direction and cast radically changed because of the immediate criticism. Martin Sheen was brought in as major cast rather then the original plan to keep the President as a minor character and a few episodes later Charlie was hired because someone pointed out how hosed up it was to run a show focusing on the white house and not have a single person of color in the cast.

Sorkin obviously bowed to pressure back then, but 15 years later he's so full of spite and hatred for the modern internet that it just seeps out of every pore and infects everything he touches.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

pentyne posted:

It's pretty telling that within the first episode the direction and cast radically changed because of the immediate criticism. Martin Sheen was brought in as major cast rather then the original plan to keep the President as a minor character and a few episodes later Charlie was hired because someone pointed out how hosed up it was to run a show focusing on the white house and not have a single person of color in the cast.

Sorkin obviously bowed to pressure back then, but 15 years later he's so full of spite and hatred for the modern internet that it just seeps out of every pore and infects everything he touches.

Charlie was planned from the very beginning, Sorkin just didn't feel his intro fit in the first two episodes.

I love the wild rear end assumptions people make when they can't rationalize how someone could make something they like, and something they didn't.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

JohnSherman posted:

Charlie was planned from the very beginning, Sorkin just didn't feel his intro fit in the first two episodes.

I love the wild rear end assumptions people make when they can't rationalize how someone could make something they like, and something they didn't.
Furthermore, Martin Sheen was hired under the assumption that the President would be a minor character. He was not hired to fix a problem, as pentyne is saying. Bartlett simply became a major character once it became clear how amazing Martin Sheen was in the role.

This isn't even inside baseball. Both these things are well known.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

JohnSherman posted:

Well, yes and no. The character was planned but he was introduced as he is after I think they didn't go with CCH Pounder for CJ and the cast was subsequently all Caucasian.

double edit: If you look around the internet there's a whole bunch of stuff about NAACP telling them to sort out their casting and thus adding charlie in as he is.

edit: if you want to bitch about the West Wing, you should focus more on the Gender Roles and the terrible treatment of women in the show. I mean the West Wing is amazing but it is terribly dated and in hindsight a bit embarrasing in terms of gender politics :downs: I love the hell out of that show so much despite its flaws.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Dec 26, 2014

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I really dont care if a show has hosed up poo poo with gender. That mirrors the real world. Just ask all the past female presidents or VPs, theyll back me up.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
What makes a WW/Newsroom character more excited:

1.) Pulling off a massive success at their job
2.) A fantastic blowjob
3.) Raising family and preparing the way for the next generation
4.) Making the world somehow better through one's efforts
5.) Reciting factoids really fast at a simpleton

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Its reciting really fast factoids at the hooker thats blowing you.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Fetus Tree posted:

I really dont care if a show has hosed up poo poo with gender. That mirrors the real world. Just ask all the past female presidents or VPs, theyll back me up.

My favorite line so far "You know i'd be hitting on you if it weren't for the burning churches, right?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Was that lyman to the cop?

• Locked thread