Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

GaussianCopula posted:

What I dont get about the mission that everyone at ACN is on, is why do they think caring about ratings is the worst thing EVER. Shouldn't you try to find a way to produce news in a way that it conforms with your moral standards while at the same time reaching as many people as possible? The show treats it almost as an badge of honor if the ratings are low, because that means you are on the right path.

This is a really, really, really common trait among journalists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

GutBomb posted:

Hmm. We disagree ... Studio 60 [was a] great show.
aaaaaahahahahahahaaaahaah

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Studio 60 started off decent, completely fell apart in the middle and pulled itself together at the end (though that might be because I'm a sucker for the flashback style of the last 3 eps, the hostage ransom stuff was still retarded).

E; The brass version of O Holy Night was pretty great too.

blunt fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 15, 2014

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Sorkin is contractually obligated to include at least one hostage ransom plot per series.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

pentyne posted:

Was Sorkin trying to predict that the Newsroom would be "underrated" or something with this last Neil rant?

I took it as direct criticism of the Huffington Post turning from a news site to a gossip rag.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

So I've finally started watching The West Wing and although there are tons of Sorkinisms, it's really a great show.

Which makes the newsroom even more painful to have watched.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Sub Rosa posted:

So can we get a Don & Sloan spinoff now which Sorkin has nothing to do with?

Yes please

Edit also in this show John Gallagher and his smug stupid face get annihilated in a new and creative way each episode, like Kenny in South Park

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

So I've finally started watching The West Wing and although there are tons of Sorkinisms, it's really a great show.

Come to the West Wing thread!

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Toxxupation posted:

He wasn't, really; fincher heavily rewrote it and removed a whole bunch of elements of the film

Source? You're the first person I've heard claim this, and Fincher isn't really a writer.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

He wasn't, really; fincher heavily rewrote it and removed a whole bunch of elements of the film

Yeah another request for a source on this.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Yeah I thought The Social Network script was very Sorkin-ish. I doubt it was highly revised by someone else.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not only that but the script leaked before Fincher had even signed on and iirc was basically the same.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Bown posted:

Not only that but the script leaked before Fincher had even signed on and iirc was basically the same.

Yeah this basically. Sorkin is protective of his scripts. The closest claim to make to that is that the script was workshopped before shooting, but that's just Sorkin, Fincher and the actors going over dialogue and scenes. If anything doesn't play there or if the actors have input then they'll change it, but it's pretty much script to screen Sorkin.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

pokeyman posted:

That would explain why it feels more, let's say, sparse than typical Sorkin fare. Where can I read more about this?

You can't, Toxxupation just made that up because he has a hate boner for Sorkin. TSN is Sorkin's script through and through.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

GutBomb posted:

They most certainly did.
fuckign incredible

edit; I'm sorry that was no content. I'll basically agree with the quote a few pages back that said it was smug and elitist and patronizing and all those other things but was still fun to watch. It was all that and more.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 16, 2014

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

My favorite part of Jane Fonda's pajama people speech was all the tv critics and people in the thread thinking she was talking about the Chinese.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
Favourite finale part: Neal's return and "You embarrass me" speech. Major gently caress yeah moment.

Least favourite part: Didn't need Will's speech about Charlie. Jamming out to Charlie's song was enough. Also didn't appreciate the whole "Oh yeah Jim plays guitar which is convenient for this touching scene" thing. Oh and Mac goes from EP of news program to Director of the News Division of a major cable network????? And where'd this paternity streak in Will come from all of a sudden? Another case of "character trait cram". And I'm not cool with us getting only one episode of Will and Mac couple banter because drat it that was funny. Also no more Sloan and Don!! But mostly Sloan.

But in general, the finale was nice. Just nice. Nothing more. Nice.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

What was up with Jim watching a beginner guitar video online, but instead of practicing what they showed, playing something unrelated that showed more than beginner skill? I feel like I must have missed something because I didn't get what was going on there at all.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Sir Kodiak posted:

What was up with Jim watching a beginner guitar video online, but instead of practicing what they showed, playing something unrelated that showed more than beginner skill? I feel like I must have missed something because I didn't get what was going on there at all.

Because it shows hes not a beginner

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Just once I'd like to see the woman turn stupid and the man be on top of things with a pregnancy scenario. The dumb guy thing is totally played out.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Fetus Tree posted:

Because it shows hes not a beginner

Sure, but why was he watching the video?

Waltzing Along posted:

Just once I'd like to see the woman turn stupid and the man be on top of things with a pregnancy scenario. The dumb guy thing is totally played out.

A scene of a man being knowledgeable and in control and a woman needing his help would have added some much-needed variety to The Newsroom.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

bubblelubble posted:

Favourite finale part: Neal's return and "You embarrass me" speech. Major gently caress yeah moment.

Least favourite part: Didn't need Will's speech about Charlie. Jamming out to Charlie's song was enough. Also didn't appreciate the whole "Oh yeah Jim plays guitar which is convenient for this touching scene" thing. Oh and Mac goes from EP of news program to Director of the News Division of a major cable network????? And where'd this paternity streak in Will come from all of a sudden? Another case of "character trait cram". And I'm not cool with us getting only one episode of Will and Mac couple banter because drat it that was funny. Also no more Sloan and Don!! But mostly Sloan.

But in general, the finale was nice. Just nice. Nothing more. Nice.

Jim stated that he could play a guitar way back in the first season.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Literally to show the audience he isnt a beginner. Literally for that only. Contrast.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

But no one who is proficient at any instrument ever dials up a rudimentary scale exercise for beginners and then shreds it. Why would they? It's stupid. Really stupid.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Those On My Left posted:

But no one who is proficient at any instrument ever dials up a rudimentary scale exercise for beginners and then shreds it. Why would they? It's stupid. Really stupid.

Yeah I guess you forgot how stupid a lot of this show is then, idk.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Fetus Tree posted:

Literally to show the audience he isnt a beginner. Literally for that only. Contrast.

I will accept it as characterization that Jim is narcissistic enough to always be performing for an audience.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Those On My Left posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > MrA Watches The Newsroom: It's stupid. Really stupid.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

Because he was "starting over"

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
This show was more interesting when it was about the news instead of all this boring character poo poo. None of the characters are really even likable they all just seem like masturbatory stand-ins for Sorkin.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

My favourite moment this episode was the impromptu sing-a-long. It really made me think "At least I'm not Aaron Sorkin."

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I would, but too many spoilers (gauging from the first page). Thanks though!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Dammit, I've been looking for someone new to the show to do a West Wing podcast with. :argh:

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Josh Lyman posted:

Dammit, I've been looking for someone new to the show to do a West Wing podcast with. :argh:

Sell me on the West Wing, Lyman. Is it on Netflix? I enjoyed the first two seasons of The Newsroom, but everything except for the Neal storyline in the last season fell flat to me.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kameh posted:

Sell me on the West Wing, Lyman. Is it on Netflix? I enjoyed the first two seasons of The Newsroom, but everything except for the Neal storyline in the last season fell flat to me.

One of the problems with The Newsroom is that it's set in the real-real-world, which means the characters aren't ever really able to change history, and the main character is a news anchor, which means he really can't change history, so all of Sorkin's high-falutin' ideas just come off as being preachy.

The West Wing, on the other hand, is set in alternate-history 1998, and the main character is The President of the United States, so it's kind of like what The Newsroom would be if Will McAvoy actually had the resources to go off on a "mission to civilize" while also being in a plotline that allowed for it.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

-Blackadder- posted:

This show was more interesting when it was about the news instead of all this boring character poo poo. None of the characters are really even likable they all just seem like masturbatory stand-ins for Sorkin.

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > MrA Watches The Newsroom: None of the characters are really even likable they all just seem like masturbatory stand-ins for Sorkin.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Kameh posted:

Rob Lowe fucks hookers.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

Rob Lowe fucks hookers.

Excuse me, she was a call girl, and it was an accident.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Waltzing Along posted:

Rob Lowe fucks hookers.

Sold.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
West Wing owns. Even if i do usually skip to s2 on rewatches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
The West Wing is absolute tops. I rank it over the Wire and the Sopranos (the latter of the two never really did it for me anyway). It's because of the WW that no matter how much Sorkin tries to make me hate him, I just can't. He wrote the best seasons of the best show on television. Ever.

I still enjoy rewatching S60 every few years, and I've yet to dive into SportsNight, knowing that I still have something good left in the pipeline. I don't foresee myself rewatching the Newsroom like I do the WW or S60, but I may recommend it to my daughter when she's old enough to get it.

• Locked thread