Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

South Korea's defense ministry just announced that North Korea is actually planning to invade this year:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/north-korea-planning-war-against-south-unify-two-koreas-says-seoul-1468788

That won't go well for North Korea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

TheBalor posted:

I live in Gimpo. In the extremely unlikely event that anything does happen, how hosed am I by living right by an airport less than an hour from the border?

Depends, how do you feel about the Kims?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Koramei posted:

The USN has laughable submarine detection capabilities too, so it's really not that unbelievable.

That's not true at all. The USN has some of the best detection capabilities in the world. The North Koreans used a midget submarine to launch a surprise attack against the ROKS Cheonan while the USN/ROKS were conducting exercises ~75 miles away. We're good, but we're not 75 miles good.

whatever7 posted:

I thought it was an old sea mine? Did any NK submarine captain receive unusual promotion afterwards?

A defector reported that the crew all won "Hero of the DPRK" medals, but who knows if it's true or not.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I was just reading about that. Boy the Brits really hosed you poor Canucks on that deal.

And then they ordered F-35s from us. :downs:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mightypeon posted:

They may still be ongoing, ill try to find some "Korea magazines" online somewhere. They were especially notable for being made from rare and high quality paper...

North Korea always has had very good printing technology.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that he just doesn't want to be seen with a leg brace on. If there really had been a coup then Best Korea would be shut up tighter than a crab's rear end in a top hat.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

William Bear posted:

Now that you mention it, what is life like for a non-Kim elite in NK? The average high military officer or divisional chief, for example. I think I heard that they live like American lower middle class, i.e. they have a house, a car, some electronics and they won't starve.

Some of the favored residents of Pyongyang have access to a shopping mall, but it's difficult to say exactly how people live because it's illegal to invite a foreigner into your home and tours are so heavily stage managed.

http://world.time.com/2013/08/19/while-the-rest-of-north-korea-struggles-pyongyangs-fortunate-few-go-shopping/

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

whatever7 posted:

My money is still on this set of photos was taken before major poo poo went down.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

whatever7 posted:

Why then why doesn't the US pay for the rounding error.

We will if it's in our interest. But dumping billions into a backwards country just so that we can watch the Chinese reap the benefits is something that we got pretty tired of after Afghanistan.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

whatever7 posted:

Why did it need 5 years to clean up the site?

Beyond cleaning up the debris, they had to sift for body parts and conduct a massive criminal investigation. After that, they had to redesign and repair the underlying subway stations and infrastructure, then prep the actual site for setting the foundations. Anything that you build in Manhattan (or the heavily urbanized parts of the other boroughs) takes an assload of time because you have to plan for how the building is going to fit into the infrastructure base of the city, some of which was first laid over a century ago. Sometimes, especially in Lower Manhattan, ConEd doesn't even have very good maps of what's down there, so you end up playing archaeologist.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Spacewolf posted:

My one quibble: A century ago? Sure, that works for most of Manhattan, but Lower Manhattan was first settled in the...1640s, I think? They've found *ships* below foundations in plenty of places, since most of what we know of as Manhattan is landfill.

(Otherwise, Zeroisanumber just nailed it and has my applause.)

I was talking about stuff that they're still using. Some of the steam pipes still delivering heat around Manhattan were laid down in the 1920's.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'm going to bet on brinksmanship. The higher ups in North Korea have to know that an actual war would end with them either burned up by a JDAM or at the end of a rope afterwards.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

WarpedNaba posted:

Can't wait for the excuse they give when they lose that particular game of chicken.

Yeah, President Park Geun-hye doesn't seem like the type to back down to a spoiled fat kid.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Halloween Jack posted:

Actually, what do we know about their ability to deploy nuclear devices or chemical/biological weapons beyond their borders? Bennett considered the absolute worst-case scenario to be if North Korea successfully attacked another country (possibly even the United States) with a nuclear weapon.

North Korea has some small nukes and they have some small missiles, but they haven't managed to figure out a way to put the two together to make anything resembling an ICBM.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

They even have 50?

Small diesel-electric subs. They're about 1/3rd the size of a US attack boat and much less complex. Not the worst weapons if you just want to flood a local coastal zone with mines and torpedoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

Wow. According to Wikipedia, they are slower on the surface and submerged than World War 2 era U-Boats....

And worse diving depth. And worse range....

Yeah, but they're cheap and they don't have to go very far and Un doesn't give a single gently caress if any of them come back at all so long as they do a little damage.