Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Ardennes posted:

Nevertheless, I wouldn't be that surprised if North Korea has some more missile tests in the near future to more or less project their full capacity. I still don't think they have true ICBM, but even a single/double stage missile armed with a boosted fission warhead is something to ponder (especially if you're Japanese).

IIRC NK already managed to launch a fridge-sized satellite into orbit, a couple of years ago. The technology required for that is pretty much identical to the one required for ICBMs. (That's why Sputnik I was such a big deal.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

EasternBronze posted:

I don't recall ever hearing any German complaints, nor should they :colbert: Maybe when we make films, the feelings of an authoritarian government shouldn't be taken into account.

Cause the films are pretty accurate, there is really nothing to complain about. The only thing wrong with Schindler's list is that it's downplaying Nazi crimes.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

That guy should have been given 40 lashes Singapore style then released.

I don't think you really get the idea of a gulag system.

It's not to serve justice or punishment.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

It strikes me as a rather inane statement that being communist or not has nothing to do with economic organization since that is the entire basis of communism, and indeed, the mode of production within a given society is considered primordial by Marxists themselves. North Korea had, and to some extent still has, a centrally planned economy with state ('collective') ownership of the means of production. Plans and production targets for every economic sector are created and set by government committees. It is, or was, a communist country by any reasonable historical definition.

The fact that the regime has always preferred to indoctrinate its subjects with Juche rather than with orthodox Marxism-Leninism (whether or not they give a drat for the latter), and that they are currently allowing relatively far-reaching marketization, doesn't change anything about the way the North Korean economy was organized up until at least the famine. It's merely an interesting qualifier, and not even a very exceptional one, since in many East Bloc countries the self-perpetuation of the elite eventually took precedence over ideology. Even the use of nationalist and xenophobic rhetoric as a method to distract and unite the common people is nothing new in this regard, it's just that North Korea takes it to new extremes.

There will come a time when we can no longer confidently claim that North Korea is a communist country. I think the current decade should be seen as the turning point since the state appears to be quietly complicit in the increasing marketization of North Korean society, if the most recent reports are to be believed. The removal of Marx and Lenin statues serves as the writing on the wall. But to say that the country has never been communist strikes me as some bizarre form of revisionism. Surely the actual, real economic conditions and mode of production should take precedence over the rhetoric or ideological orthodoxy of the regime when making such a call.

That's not what is commonly understood under the term "communism" though. It's not synonymous with collectivism but refers to a specific, historic movement and ideology that emerged in the 19th century. You wouldn't call the Inca empire communist, despite them having had a collectivists economy, right?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

Well, yeah, but by the time he realized the Soviet Union was far stronger than intelligence agencies thought it was too late to do anything about it. I don't think North Korea is in danger of thinking the US is weaker than they are.

Towards the end of the war Hitler completely refused any attempts at peace or surrender negotiations because he believed that the German people had demonstrated to be weak, had disappointed him and now deserved to be destroyed for this. That's not even an interpretation, he literally said that. He was totally mental at this point.

Also, for most of the war he was given large, daily dosages of meth by his physician, which is known to decrease your ability to make rational decisions, especially if it's coupled with sleep deprivation.

My point being, that you can't always rely on everyone being a rational actor, just because they made it far in life. Sometimes people go crazy later in life or go insane due to drug abuse.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I'm really skeptical that this guy

would actually want to start a war and get into the largest world crisis since WW2. He's lazy, dumb, incompetent and completely overworked from just shitposting on twitter and watching TV all day.

I hope the Pentagon understands the situation we are all in now and that we just have to deal with a nuclear NK. If they are not complete loving idiots, they probably do.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think he would out of stupidty and petty anger. he doesnt care what people think.

He REALLY doesn't seem to like work though. A war is a lot of work.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

"President leaves for 9 days vacation as NYC is hit by nuclear blast. He promises to hold work meetings while golfing (he will not)"

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

It gets really weird when it comes to North Korea though. People think it's really funny, and repeat all these memes, and appear to take in the "North Koreans believe their Dear Leader discovered unicorns" stories literally without ever developing a deeper curiosity about what the country is actually like.

Like, I've never seen Twitter users pass around jokes about the mutaween committing human rights abuses, but apparently the DPRK is eccentric in such a way as to make it funny.

It's unusually eccentric though, even for a totalitarian dictatorship. Like, you don't see Iranian propaganda showing the president in some bumfuck cement factory, sagely giving cement advices to the workers, which they then immediately scribble down in their tiny little pocket notebooks. No citywide mandatory public weeping for leader funerals too. Also, that news anchor lady that screams the news in a heroic tone is loving bonkers. And totalitarian leaders are also usually not hilariously fat and jolly.

What I'm saying is that their own self-presentation is totally hilarious and undignified. Iran has some dignity.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I would love to know what Trump's worm infested brain is hoping to get out of this. There is a decent chance that he genuinely expects North Korea to disarm without any concessions from the US and that he believes that he is the man who can get it done.

I think with the recent reports of him no longer listening to his advisors he is working up to something big. A mental breakdown or something.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Also, the US is probably not the only reason NK wants to have nuclear weapons. The weapons make it harder for China to bully them around or destabilize them and they give diplomatic leverage against the SK government.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

What purpose do American troops even serve in SK nowadays? Russia isn't a danger anymore and neither is China. I know SK wants them there, but what does the US get out of it?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Fojar38 posted:

It also means that South Korea is under the US nuclear umbrella, which is good from a non-proliferation standpoint because there is a 100% chance South Korea would be nuclear by now without it.

Lots of countries are under the US nuclear umbrella and don't have US troops stationed there.

Vladimir Putin posted:

What it all boils down to is that if NK negotiated the departure of US troops from SK it would be a huge victory for them and a total disaster for SK. Because with US troops gone they can gently caress with SK all they want with no larger consequences. SK would be hosed.

How have US troops helped SK deal with Northern fuckery? The main advantage that the US brings to the table is the diplomatic and economic pressure that they can exert on NK. You don't need troops for that.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Ardennes posted:

I would say it is more both sides oppose the very idea of peace with x/y country for increasingly unclear reasons (also: China backs both of them and the US is an increasingly senile superpower).

Nah, a lot of people on the left would have welcomed some kind of deal or a move towards a peace process. What happened instead is that the US government legitimized a Stalinist regime and got nothing in exchange for it. Trump only did this to get ~36h of positive cable news coverage. Why exactly should anyone celebrate this shitshow?

When you meet with butchers, at least make sure you get something out of it and aren't just doing a free PR stunt for them.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

WampaLord posted:

Because ending pointless saber rattling military exercises is an objectively good thing, no matter why it's happening.

Pence just confirmed that the exercises will continue. And even if he gave something like that up, why not at least ask for SOMETHING in return? Maybe ask for the SKean hostages to be released as a sign of good will? Really, anything.

Ardennes posted:

How do you negotiate with a country without legitimizing it?

What gave you the impression that any kind of negotiation had actually taken place? Any form of serious negotiation would have been handled by the state department and NK foreign ministry. This was just a dumb PR stunt.

I'm not even opposed to meeting with autocrats and butchers on principle. If it serves a good purpose, it's worth talking about. But 36h of positive cable news coverage? Really? That's disgusting.

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 12, 2018

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Ardennes posted:

Even if it is "just a stunt" it is the farthest any chance of peace has happened in a while, and to be honest, South Korea isn't treating it as a joke.

How? How has this brought the peninsula closer to peace? No agreement was reached, nothing about the situation has changed.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Ardennes posted:

The fact there is a bilateral meeting of heads of state, and the process is ongoing is actually an accomplishment in itself. And yes, North Korea-US relations have changed even if there isn't a framework.

Ok, it's an accomplishment. Lots of thing are an accomplishment. How exactly has it brought the peninsula closer to peace? What about the situation that made a peace treaty and rapprochement infeasible has been changed?

quote:

I mean you were just decrying North Korea being legitimized? Which one is it?

Increasing the national and international prestige of the NK regime does not advance the Korean peace process in any way.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

Do you think it's better to keep ignoring them/provoking them until they just decide to do what we say? That's pretty much the alternative, either we suck it up and 'reward' (not enough of a jerkoff motion possible for this) him with the bare scaffolding of respect that is 'we had a 20 minute meeting for publicity' to get him to the table at all or we just keep doing ~hermit kingdom~ bullshit that leads to absolute bonkers poo poo like 'the poor simple savage North Korean isn't even allowed to know what love is' being spread.

How are you so dense? A peace process is exactly what people on the left want. The point is that a hawk administration with a hawk President who is also mentally retarded is not that. He didn't do anything towards a peace process. It was just a PR stunt for a regime with some of the worst human rights abuse records in recent history. Here is an idea for a peace process: Get the loving tripwire troops out, ask for a limit on warheads and missile range. Or get the troops out, ask for political liberalization. You see the difference?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Lol at goons putting "legitimize" in quotes. like the whole idea of international standing is some kind of liberal media conspiracy.

surely there is no difference between how autocracies like Saudi Arabia and Iran are treated by the west. also, how were the South African and the Israeli apartheid states treated by the international community? exactly the same!

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

Calling attention to how our distinction between "legitimate" and "illegitimate" governments is completely hypocritical and arbitrary isn't helping your case. You are aware of the fact our leaders did treat South Africa's apartheid government as legitimate right up until the moment they were finally out of power, right?

What exactly is hypocritical about pointing out that maybe we shouldn't cosy up to oppressive regimes, sell them weapons and prop up their rule?

Seriously, why exactly do you think the South African regime collapsed?

Ramsus posted:

Whole lotta never trumpers going to die on that hill.

Trump could save their anime collection from a basement fire and they'd still blame our golden savior

Lmao that people, even for a nanosecond, are considering that the Trump administration and a Republican Congress will withdraw troops from South Korea. Trump 2020 is gonna happen. It's gonna happen.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

mystes posted:

Why don't we discuss the question of whether we should stick to not talking to North Korea because of its human rights abuses, even if that results in a worse outcome for the North Korean people at least in the short time, but in a slightly less snarky fashion.

Dude, my dude, I don't think there are even any people itt who are opposed to actual talks with NK. But who cares, right? Just make up some bullshit strawman, poo poo out some snarky drive by poo poo post& jerk off in the mirror. Life of kings

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

If you take anything Donald Trump has said at face value you are deeply stupid. I'm not jumping for joy because the best we can hope for is that he does something good on accident.

It's completely insane. People have watched a pathological liar and conmen lie every single day for over a year and a half. Sometimes even lie for absolutely no discernable reason about the smallest things. They have watched him act in the most anti-worker, hawkish and dishonest manner possible. They have watched him hire Pruitt, DeVos, Sessions or Bolton. And still, after all this, people genuinely consider that he might legalize weed, negotiate with NK or protect American workers. A huge part of the population has completely disconnected from observable reality.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Willo567 posted:

Tell me when he started writing this, because I only just heard about it when the summit was briefly canceled

It's been a common concern since the election and many people have written about it. He doesn't have the mental capacity to understand what he is negotiating about and the sycophants around him have no reason to tell him. What is the village idiot, who is known to be extremely petty and go into fits of rage, going to do once he finds out that the magic beans aren't real and so on. The fear has died down a lot though since people realized that he is too lazy to do anything that would involve actual work or stress. He just goes and takes a nap once he tires himself out screaming, and that's that :shrug:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

I'm sympathetic to seeing the American alliance system in East Asia as a form of imperialism

What's different about the East Asia alliances from NATO? Or are the US-European alliances imperialism too?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

R. Guyovich posted:

one of those things is not like the others: negotiating with the dprk allows him to project an image of himself as peacemaker and a legendary figure in american politics. this is a rare moment when the interests of the world and trump's ego coincide. trump's iran policy is aggressive because obama made a deal. with the dprk there isn't a deal to rip up so he's making one instead. no one is under any illusions here.

When are these hypothetical negotiations supposed to take place? Why didn't they happen at the summit or before? Are they going to happen within a year? Maybe after the election? Are you considering voting for him because of the hope or at least not voting against him? It's a textbook scam. This is like hoping that your Nigerian prince money will arrive one day, if you just send a little bit more. There is no money.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

got fired from Snopes posted:

I'd hope for improved relations for moments like this personally.

Let's see: The country has no stable power grid and no hotel or transportation infrastructure. There is an extremely high chance that at least half of the 100 or so visitors and players that actually dare to come will piss off their secret police handlers and end up dead in concentration camps or as hostages in some diplomatic blackmail scenario. Yeah, I think FIFA might go for this, if the bribes is right.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

America has done some very bad things, but deciding that as a result, North Korea’s invasion of South Korea with the at least passing consent of the USSR was a very good thing is a hell of a take.

It didn’t work out well for much of anyone.

North Korea started the war; what the hell else do you call a coordinated surprise attack after telling the USSR that you intended to invade South Korea?

No! There are historical scholars who studied this and say that it was the other way around. No you can't speak to them, they are Canadian and in Canada. And they don't have a phone right now. gently caress you, Dad!

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Any day now the Trump administration will start negotiating with North Korea, any day now. Have faith in Trump and the plan, don't trust the Lügenpresse :pray:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

coathat posted:

Hey guys things haven’t changed before any agreement has been made. Huge gently caress up by Trump.

any day now, don't lose hope. thoughs and prayers :pray:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Careful now or you gonna destroy that prescious narrative that everyone who wasn't clapping at Trump's stupid clownshow in Singapore is secretly a bloodthirsty Lieberal lusting for a war in Korea.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

TenementFunster posted:

how much of a dumbass do you have to be? do the good and smart thing (officially end a war that has been over unofficially for a lifetime) you told Kim you would do, get a big ol’ press conference when the DPRK responds with concrete process towards disarmament, get the photo op shaking hands with Kim and Moon, and bank the easy landmark win.

please, donald. reduce the threat of nuclear annihilation to own the libs.

A wise man once said that a retarded hawk is not a dove, it's just a hawk with mental retardation :nallears:

He is not gonna do the exact same PR stunt twice because rubes are gonna go for much less now. It's time for a new scheme. Maybe something with Venezuela?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

I was waiting to post until they announced denuclearization and peace on earth.

Any day now. Keep your faith brother. :pray:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Willo567 posted:

Trump will be pissed beyond belief, right?

Trump being pissed off might not be a bad thing if it drives a wedge between the US and SK.

Also, ratings for the latest summit were so lovely that I think Trump is completely done with this now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

On the other hand, maybe it is good to want some of the worst oppressors and human rights abusers in the world to be disposed and put on trial for their disgusting crimes? Just spitballing here