Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

radicaldreamer
May 14, 2013

Willo567 posted:

I'd imagine Kim would try his drat best to avoid the summit leading to a war

Same with Moon as well

This happens in game of thrones but have any of these bilateral or trilateral summits actually led to war?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radicaldreamer
May 14, 2013

Kavros posted:

In this case it is Pyongyang itself which was spearheading messaging on his weight.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/6/29/slimmer-kim-prompts-heartbreak-in-north-korea

State media playing up his weight loss as hardship before any significant international scrutiny can begin, angling it as evidence of his devotion and hardworking toil (:rolleyes:). It's just one of the strange things happening right now, not at all the strangest, that points to instability. Probably indicating that their agriculture is desperately off the rails again and significant famine has already once again set in.

It's very much self inflicted damage though since there are ways to trade in a safe way. I think what has probably happened is that they have uncontrolled outbreaks already within the country where the only solution is to lock down and one of the knock on effects is to affect what goods they can trade for food across the Chinese border.

I'm sure there are parties inside the DPRK who are taking advantage of the lockdowns to consolidate their power as well. The thin Kim issue might be propaganda or perhaps he has a chronic or serious illness as well (there were rumors of a health scare last year), maybe due to Covid but probably unrelated.