Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My money is on Kim3 is dead/gone. My hunch is solely base on how much this No.2 guy is smiling in almost every photo. This is not the smile of a worried man.

There is only thing that can make him not worry about going home to report his trip.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Oct 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
BTW, half of these articles are referencing this website, New Focus International, is being ran by a NK defector.

His book about his escape from NK is called "Dear Leader" published this year is a really good book. What make it so good is that the guy was an author/poet in NK, and he once a fairly high position officer in the propaganda field. His book gives a pretty good explanation of the inner working of the kingdom. His desperate adventure in China during his escape was very amazing and sad story too. It took him more than a month to get in touch with the SK spies in China. He met many ethnic Korean Chinese who helped him, and many who refused to help him.

Many NK defectors who escaped to China actual were caught by the North Korean agents in China and sent them back to NK. I think China pressured NK to stop killing these defectors because it put China in a hard place internationally. After reading this book, you get an idea why China is so affair of the collapse which will bring major logistic and humanitarian problem to China.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 6, 2014

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Neo Rasa posted:

Offtopic, but Tom Clancy hadn't actually written anything himself for about eight years. "Tom Clancy" became a brand name, there's tons of books that says TOM CLANCY: DRAMATIC TITLE in huge block letters and says "Written/Co-written by John Smith" in tiny print at the bottom. Super right wing conspiracy nuts write all his stuff which is why it got so crazy even compared to his own work. In fact a new Tom Clancy book specifically about North Korean generals going nuts and launching ICBMs at Japan is available for pre-order as I write this. :wtc:

It's not just about books. Ubisoft put Tom Clancy stamp in every military shooter they make.

So yeah, Tom Clancy is a whore.

A dead whore.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hodgepodge posted:

I can only imagine that reunification would be a huge emotional issue, with families reunited and historical and religious sites opened to people in either country. Reform of the NK government would also achieve that, but as I understand it, the biggest problem would still be the flood of emigrants from the country to China and South Korea.

I guess the question is partly how much South Koreans are willing to pay for unification. In a better world, I would suggest Marshal Plan levels of aid from America and the West, but good luck getting the Republicans to fund that through their little temper tantrum, and America would be the primary western beneficiary in foreign policy terms.

China will pay for it if the new Korea agree to stay militarily neutral and get rip of the US base.

Money is not the problem. China can't support a new Korea if she turn around and bit China's hands (see Vietnam). China will need assurance that the new Korea will stay neutral in the East Asia geopolitcal space.

Since nobody in South Korea, not even Emperor Xi's high school crash President Park can guarantee that, China will support a slow federalized reunification process. Actually China may push for "1 country 2 systems" in Korea now that I think about it.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

karthun posted:

Considering that Japan and South Korea are virtual nuclear weapon states and could design, build and test a nuclear weapon before the month is up what would happen next?

Korea and Japan reach gentlemen's agreement that as long as you do not announce a bomb, I don't announce a bomb.

Plus, Japan is an aging country with huge debt, soon Japan will have more retired population than working population. Japan is really not a military thread in near future.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

computer parts posted:

Not even that, they said they're fine with current US bases just not any into NK territory.

See the military base "Transit Center" in Kyrgyzstan. China will still want to get rid of it.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ReidRansom posted:

Until/unless they build war robots. Or stop being so stubborn about immigration. Both are probably equally unlikely.

Haha Japan will be building army pf robots to take care of their retired people.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ceramic Shot posted:

This is pretty anecdotal but...

When she was elected, I had an early-30s Korean friend tell me "Now I know how you Americans feel when Bush was re-elected." Korea has a rapidly aging population (birth rate lower than Japan's! Wow!) and demographics played a big part in the election results. The political power gap between generations will probably only continue to widen as the elderly use their voting power to keep the conservative Saenuri party in power, so as long as they can find someone who can keep his eyes uncrossed long enough to make short addresses on the state-controlled news networks, I think there's no reason to double-down on an unpopular leader.

Hehe at least she is doing better than Benazir Bhutto.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr. Horrible posted:

Ha, of course not! However, if a private citizen chooses to contract the building of one or more death robots from his preferred manufacturer, this is well within the the parameters of a properly functioning market society.
Samsung can't make a robot if there is no iRobot for Samsung to rip off.

quote:

Serious question: how likely is it that one of the exiled/estranged older brothers might suddenly be welcomed home? Similarly, would they really entertain the idea of letting big sis run the show?

China is keeping one of Kim3's older brothers well fed and live in Macau. It's more of a "Plan C". Kim3 have killed off the part of the Kim family that had good relation with China. This guy's son is on Wechat.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 6, 2014

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
How come the last two South Korean disasters were both boat sinking? Was there any older major boat sinking accident from either Korea?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Theris posted:

Diesel-electric subs, even old ones, are really loving quiet and difficult to detect, especially if you aren't actively looking for it. It's wouldn't even be the first time one has snuck into the middle of a USN combat group undetected.

I don't know if that's the official explanation since militaries tend not to like talking about their vulnerabilities, but it's most likely the actual explanation.

I thought it was an old sea mine? Did any NK submarine captain receive unusual promotion afterwards?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Whats the chance that Kim3 was poisoned? Is there a kind of poison that make you limp before you kick the bucket?

The visibly limping thing really fascinates me.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

You know, just as an aside to all this, it would be pretty loving hilarious if it comes out that Un is dead like a day or two before that Seth Rogan movie is supposed to drop. Wasn't that originally done with Il in mind, in fact, and then re-wrote when it turned out he was kaput?

But all joking aside, how long was it again between when Il stopped making public appearances, and when the North Korean government officially announced his death?

Well they better hire Kathryn Bigelow to change the ending.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
WSJ: Korea official has visited the headquarters of the European Union and expressed interest in dialogue, with discussions on human rights expected next year....

OK Lil' Kim is dead for sure. I hope his wife Soju is ok. :(

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SinetheGuy posted:

So how long was KJI running the show before KIS kicked the bucket?

Kim2 actually took control of the state machine before kim1 kicked the bucket. In that sense he was an usurper and prevented the regular political succession like the rest of the communist countries.

If the power was passed down to a non-Kim leader in 94 North Korea most likely would have embraced a China/Vietnam style economic reform.

Not that I think about it, the succession also happened after the fall of Berlin Wall. If Kim1 died before 1990, the rest of the communist countries probably would have given pressure to NK to pass down the power to a non-Kim comrade.

As for China's attitude toward Kim2, my theory is the Chinese leadership probably wanted to keep an amusing communist dystopia around to give the hardliners inside China an active warning what would have happened if China didn't embrace reform.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

computer parts posted:

Nah, it's partially an inherited mess and partially that it's easier to have a contained nuisance that you know than an uncontained one that you don't.

Like, imagine the US & Israel relationship, except Israel is on the US border, still antagonizing their other neighbors, but if you ever deal with them it'll cause millions of refugees flooding into your country. Even if you don't really like the guys, it's better to keep the status quo.

Are you saying US can't control Israel? I disagree. US just pretend they can't control Israel while the crusader elements in the US want Israel to stick it to the Muslim.

Badera posted:

Yeah, this...is dead wrong.

Who are you so say I am wrong? Are you a member of the CCP?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Arglebargle III posted:

You don't understand the US government. The US can't control Israel, Bibi has all but spit in Obama's face.

Why it can't control Israel may have to do with internal factors in the US, but the US government can't just renege on all its promises and kill or imprison everyone who complains like the PRC can. You might say a theoretical US government with a different composition might be able to control Israel but that's not reality.

Obama may dislike and disagree with Israel, but the political force inside US won't let him do anything that stab Israel's back (for example, stop blocking UN resolution for a start).

Obama is kind of checked out on international politic in his 2nd term anyway.

Since I don't agree with Israel/NK analogy anyway, I will stop.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Badera posted:

Well, no, but strictly speaking, you're the one that needs to back up your extraordinary claim.

What you suggested makes no sense. It ignores the agency of the NK regime, for one. They've shown more than once that they're perfectly willing to tell China or whoever else to piss up a rope.

I refer to you this book to understand why the North Korean need Chinese.

I also have multiple family members who were member of CCP. Again, how dear you to tell me my theory of CCP's point of view is wrong. What I suggested doesn't need to make sense, I just tell you what members of CCP think.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 10, 2014

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Trogdos! posted:

bbc posted: On Friday North Korean officials visited Kumsusan Palace, a mausoleum for late leaders Kim Il-sung and Kim Jong-il, to mark the 69th anniversary of the Workers' Party.

For the first time in three years, Mr Kim's name was not included in the list.

[/quote]
I was going to post that. Most concrete evidence that the little fat man is dead.

In fact that blub about labor camp admission was probably NK new leadership building case against Kim3.

Arglebargle: I am a guy. You have done it a couple times.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You can't seal off the Yalu River.

Although it would be smarter for the refugees to walk to South Korea en masse, the SK soldiers are not going to shoot the civilians.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I think the worst case scenario is a civil war erupt inside NK. As long as the NK party leader doesn't collapse they can always con food and supply from outside.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

backifran posted:

This here looks pretty official: http://www.regent-holidays.co.uk/country/north-korea-holidays/

Also, I am serious. If there's any goon as dumbfuck as me that wants to this then let me know. We can report back and be goon heroes/martyrs

(I am serious)

There may not be a North Korea next year. Plus controlled tour is super lame. You won't see anything they don't allow you to see.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

icantfindaname posted:

There's that blog of the guy who got on a train in Moscow with a regular ticket and just went to Pyongyang, like they thought nobody would ever try it so they didn't bother to stop it from happening

http://vienna-pyongyang.blogspot.com/

This guy can read Russian though so that helped alot. I spent an hour reading his Eurasia 2005 railway journal blog from Austria thru Russia, Mongolia to Beijing; and the back through the way of Xinjiang and Kazakhstan. It was basically one of those Michael Palin journey but done with a few normal guys.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Well gently caress the party is over.

BUT THERE IS HOPE! HE IS A BODY DOUBLE!!!!

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My money is still on this set of photos was taken before major poo poo went down.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You can't contain a dictator, either there was no coup at all, or Kim3 has been killed and you are reading fake news. There is no middle ground.

The only way to make your troops follow your order in a coup is to kill the No.1 guy ASAP to burn the bridges for all your subordinates.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Arglebargle III posted:

I don't know about this. North Korea's population is a rounding error compared to China's population. Think about that. North Korea's population is what, 23 million, 24 million? China's population is usually given as 1.3 billion. Even if 20% of North Korea's population fled to China, that would be 5 million people. That's 0.005 billion. A rounding error compared to China's population.

Why then why doesn't the US pay for the rounding error.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
^^ Its going to be a long negociation process. Same reason Iran is not going to actively help Iraq until the Nuclear talk is over.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Oldsmobile posted:

Not sure what medical care is like for NK elite, but it's not far fetched he was in some big deal Chinese hospital getting his tendons fixed (or whatever complicated leg surgery he may have needed).

There is no high level China-NK communication since Kim3 killed their "China guy", I think his uncle-in-law?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by high-level, but NK certainly still has trade partnerships with China. I had meant to say earlier, in regard to the idea of China seizing NK, that even their mining rights in NK probably wouldn't be worth the cost of unilaterally occupying and securing NK.

High level as in KJU going to China to beg for more food.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I disagree with you guys arguing semantic of NK's worker quality. Once SK absort NK, it will give a major demographical boost to Korea, and it will emerge as bigger and stronger nation than Japan 20 years later.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DarkCrawler posted:

Well like India and China can tell you, more people isn't always better. And I'm pretty sure the combined population will be smaller then Japan's.

First of all, how is it not good for China?

Secondly, its not so good for India because India is basically people of different nations (castes) physically live together.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I actually have heard this year that NK outsourced programmers to China, the project leader could communicate in English. This was a shock to me, because it implied the NK state machine and higher educational system had not deteriorated.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

OctaviusBeaver posted:

If China had 100 million people, no one would ever even talk about them. As it is they are on their way towards being a super power.

Thats my point. In 21st century international world trade, its very important to have a large economic system in the world and the biggest in regional trade. Once you ecosystem is large enough you have access to other tools such as currency manipulation, build up a deep sovereign wealth fund war chest to resist global financial crisis. In a smaller scale, it will enable you to reach monopoly in a particular business sector much sooner.

Even if you don't have any competitive product for export, having a large demostic market to influrence import can still command respect in international trade. India is a good example.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

RuanGacho posted:

I've never understood the attitude that the US is able to build anything infrastructure or economy wise when we've been actively trying to let roads go to gravel for over a decade now.

We succeed in having a first world county in spite of our politics, not because of them.

United States's major infrastructure building periods were during recession and after WWII. Having over supply of labor is a primary motivation. Cheap labors and incomplete labor law can also help too. Both Dubai and China are examples of the later two conditions.

I am sitting here in New York, looking at the new World Trade Center building. It's still unfinished after 13 years. I am starting to think low wage and state directed planning is really important for infrastructure projects. When the new WTC 1 building was purposed, its cheating tip could still claim "the tallest building" title. Yet 3 other taller buildings have built before its tip was installed. Not just the top there, there were a whole bunch of tall buildings built around this time in the top 30 range that I have never heard of. I am starting to question can the U.S. even put together massive infrastructure projects, like high speed railway anymore?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nintendo Kid posted:

I don't know if you're aware of this but the tip of the antenna spire on the old WTC 1 was 1,727 ft. The 49 extra feet they made the tip of the antenna spire of the new one was a minimal change (and incidentally is actually better for broadcasting once it's fully spun up.

It also didn't take 13 years, it took 8. No construction was started until 2006 because there was a lot of clearing out debris and poo poo to be done first, as well as deciding designs.

Why did it need 5 years to clean up the site?

How many years do you think it will take for New York to get a faster commuter railroad to Westchester/Long Island? Probably never? Why is it that New York basically got 80% of the its infrastructure done in the 50s through Robert Moses and everything afterward is just as slow and impossible as the Big Dig?

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 18, 2014

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Popular Thug Drink posted:

a lot of what bob moses did was unethical if not illegal

a true hero of the people

That was my point then. State directed infrastructure projects can be built very fast when there is no proper laws to protect the workers and residents. Maybe its not possible to do it fast in developed countries?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The Ryugyong Hotel should be in a Bioshock game.

There is a BBC documentary about a skycraper in Venezuela that was abandoned by the investors half way through its construction and it was taken over by a whole town of squatters even though there was no water, electricity and windows.

I imagine in a Bioshock communist dystopia, this is what the inside of Ryugyong Hotel is like.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 19, 2014

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Charlz Guybon posted:

Reunification doesn't mean the South has to open the borders to mass migration immediately. It would make a lot more sense to maintain the DMZ as an internal border and run the North as defacto colony for the next few decades.

Letting the Chinese set up a Korean "Autonomous" zone would be politically untenable.

I don't think SK leaders will be that stupid and let China exert intense influrence over NK if and when NK government collapse.

Changing the younger generations opinion is easy. SK citizens are some of the most patriotic people I know. The SK media will go super drive to make the young people support the reunification cause when SK have the chance to make a difference.

In other news, Fat Kim showed up again in NK state media, visiting a show housing project, with a pimp cane in hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Onion Knight posted:

Fat loving chance....

Between this one and the China thread you really seem to love posting out and out bullshit.

*this won't work either because the only people who actually watch k-pop are lonely white people and older korean perverts

I really touched your soft spot didn't I. I apologize.