Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Huh? What's this about now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

TheBalor posted:

I live in Gimpo, how hosed am I?

Think you answered your own question there.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

whatever7 posted:

Are you saying US can't control Israel? I disagree. US just pretend they can't control Israel while the crusader elements in the US want Israel to stick it to the Muslim.

You don't understand the US government. The US can't control Israel, Bibi has all but spit in Obama's face.

Why it can't control Israel may have to do with internal factors in the US, but the US government can't just renege on all its promises and kill or imprison everyone who complains like the PRC can. You might say a theoretical US government with a different composition might be able to control Israel but that's not reality.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Whatever 7 is right to say that she's just reporting what her family says. It's exactly as China-centered and dumb a perspective as you'd expect from a not-very-well-informed mid level CCP nobody. No offense! It's just the same sort of opinion as "Israel exists because we let them," coming from some county secretary in the US. Not even worth examining and certainly not a reliable description of reality. Best just ignore it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

whatever7 posted:

Arglebargle: I am a guy. You have done it a couple times.

Oops, I was just trying to be polite. I think I must have confused you with someone else.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 11, 2014

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

pentyne posted:

There's a documentary about NK where they interview a former border guard who when he was reading off some news reports over the radio and accidentally misspoke. Him and the other guy at the post both knew they'd be tortured and executed for the mistake, so they looked at each other, and instantly agreed they need to escape. During the escape the one guy died across some electrified wires, and it was the only thing that let the other guy escape.

NK created a system where yes, you screw up and your family will suffer as well, but when you know that a single slip-up means horrific torture and death, you'd make a break for the border too because its a terrible way to live and at that moment all you can think about is not facing that punishment.

I don't think North Korea has Taco Bell but otherwise I agree with you.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

TheBalor posted:

The Lonely Planet guide to North Korea is pretty depressing, particularly the part imploring you not to slip away from your guides. For most people, this isn't likely to result in more than a fine, short imprisonment, and then deportation. For your guide, though, you've likely ruined their life. They'll lose their job at least, and might even get shot for what you did.

drat they should put that in the brochure. Very few vacations let you kill your tour guide.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

It doesn't matter whether or not China wants to be in charge of NK. In the event of a collapse backing the strongest warlord may be China's only option. The alternative may well be to shoot several million starving refugees swarming the border.

I don't know about this. North Korea's population is a rounding error compared to China's population. Think about that. North Korea's population is what, 23 million, 24 million? China's population is usually given as 1.3 billion. Even if 20% of North Korea's population fled to China, that would be 5 million people. That's 0.005 billion. A rounding error compared to China's population.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Grand Fromage says that fan death is a common euphemism for alcohol poisoning and suicide.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

That reminds me I need some new shoes. Should I hold out for the Korean shoetopia or not?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

People in the US are way too eager to talk about how terrible the US is. Come live in an actually corrupt and incompetent country and you'll gain a new appreciation for how well the US actually functions on the whole. I mean, if New York's infrastructure had been built in China we'd have had to tear it out and rebuild a few times by now due to code violations incompetence and predatory eminent domain practices.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Esroc posted:

This is really disingenuous. You can bitch about the shortcomings of a country and want them addressed while simultaneously understanding that you've got it pretty good. Complacency is the enemy of success, after all.

Now if someone straight up tried to say "the US is the worst country on the planet" then feel free to drop them in a farming village in North Korea and see how quickly they change their tune. But otherwise there's no valid issue with people bringing up what the US does wrong.

Quite fair, but I live in China and get tired of rightists in the US and Chinese nationalists taking cheap shots like "look how slow the US builds infrastructure" when you know graft is what those projects are really about and what the US rightists are really after anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Koramei posted:

Well maybe if you were a clairvoyant infallible super-general

You rang?

I believe the latest round of talks are merely a front for South Korea to begin its own nuclear armaments program. It's the only rational response at this point.