Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

BrianWilly posted:

Ugh. Sara's death was so crappy. I don't think there's a single aspect of it that wasn't atrociously-executed. I knew it was gonna happen eventually, and I even saw it coming in the episode. But once it actually happened I just couldn't stop rolling my eyes.

And I'm sure it's gonna lead to some great stories in the future, just like many other fridgings do, and be incredibly moving for the remaining characters, particularly Laurel. And just like many other fridgings we'll all go "Ah, see, it led to good stories so it's totes good! All is forgiven!" And on and on the fridge cycle goes.

Other downside of the episode: the Hong Kong flashback was silly from beginning to end, and not in a good silly way, more like in a "this is really dumb" silly way.

Upsides: Arrow continues to salvage lame unsalvagable DC characters, 'cuz Ray Palmer was brilliant. Well...he was pretty much Ray in name only and Ted Kord completely in spirit, so that explains a lot of it.

The term fridging as I understand it means a female character killed solely for the drama of a male character (usually a girlfriend of the hero). Moira and Shado both qualify for this but we can't count Sara yet because we have no idea why she was killed. It was just a stinger for a mystery at the end of the episode.

If she was killed because of her affiliation with the league of assassins then that isn't fridging, its what happens when you join a group of people who kill other people. If it was just a move to dick over Oliver then it was a fridging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

edit: or at least don't put him under your protection in case he is lying about not killing Sara. Let the league kill him.

Nah if Merlyn is right and Ras killed Sara then keeping him alive is the best way to get justice, which is a big deal to the super-hero types. Of course you run into the problem of how the hell do you get justice if the guy who trained the guy you can't imprison is the one who did the killin'.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Aphrodite posted:

...Didn't he just do that this episode?

Not only that but it was in the flashback - so hes known all along.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

XboxPants posted:

So what's up with HIVE and Diggle's brother's death? Is that plotline just completely dropped?

H.I.V...E will show up once this season to remind us its still a thing and then be the big bad for either season 4 or 5. They say they have five seasons planned out which means things like Ollies kid and Diggles revenge are being set up slowly now for the pay off later.

My guess is Ollies kid becomes a (or the) big thing in season 5. Either he has to deal with being a dad or they go full comic book and his kid ends up in the L.O.A this season and comes back as Damian Wayne and Ollie has to teach a mini-him how to be a functioning human.

They'll probably go for the former but the latter would be awesome.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Hollismason posted:

His kid currently is how old? 8 years old or older? I know the flash back is before he left, but how long before?

Ollie says hes been seeing this poo poo for 7/8 years (5 years on island, 3 years in show) so the kids at least that old. I.E perfect age for robin style shenanigans in season 4/5.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Xealot posted:

Alternately, Ollie takes on Ra's and Ra's guts him like a fish. Ollie dies, and Nyssa feels regret that neither she nor Ollie could avenge Sara's murder. Felicity cries.

Arrow will return in January in an episode titled, "Lazarus."

The balls it would take to do this would require wheelbarrows. First you'd have to deal with everyone screaming over the main character dying - then you'd get accused of copping out when you bring him back.

It would be glorious.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Lycus posted:

You'd have to be pretty dumb to think that there's any chance that they wouldn't bring him back, though.

I merely stated what would happen. And it would. You know it, I know it. Someone, somewhere (most people actually) would explode. Its why I am consistently surprised that this and Flash are as good as they are.

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

They'd literally have to pan past an old wooden sign hanging off an old stone wall that says LAZARUS PIT THIS WAY -----> while Ra's winks at the camera to quell the nerd rage

Ras could also say something like "well maybe its not over, you know the story of Lazarus," there could be flashbacks to sara actually dying and being brought back (no subtlety either, someone would boggle and say SHE WAS DEAD!) and text could appear on the screen saying Oliver was going to come back next time.

And people would still complain that he died and came back.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Totally thought Ras was gonna take him prisoner to make him spill the beans on who killed Sara.

Welp.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

imperialparadox posted:

I still loved the line from Ra's about not needing a weapon because he was just going to take Oliver's. Can't even call it arrogance because it was just fact.

I don't think that there is anybody in the Arrow-verse who is even on Ra's level (that we've seen at least). Too bad that they can't blatantly mention Batman though, it might have been neat to get some variation of a "I've fought better men then you" line from Ra's.

Maybe not in a one on one duel with swords (or one on...6? That was pretty bad rear end but kind of cliche, maybe dont kill your dudes Ras). If only there were a way to put pointy things into a man from far away. That Oliver is skilled and familiar with.

Ahhh a pipe dream to be sure.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Interesting Episode 60 is called the return. Presumably Ollie won't be in the show for the three episodes before it, what with being dead/injured and recovering/starting his second life. It is also the episode Slade is supposed to be in. Along with that picture. So many things could be returning, though I doubt they're bringing Tommy back.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Unless the entire sentence Malcolm was saying is "Oliver Queen is dead but I am bringing him back in 3 episodes", I don't see how that scene doesn't end with Diggle filling his face with bullets while Roy flips around.

I like Roy as a character - theres a lot of potential for him there and maybe i'm just a sucker for sidekicks in general (Off hand the only super hero movie that had a sidekick in recently was captain america 1).

But I also think its great that Roy's main trait at the moment is useless flipping.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Aphrodite posted:

Cap 2 has 2 sidekicks.

Sidekicks are a different thing than heroes.

Aphrodite posted:

Widow doesn't have any sequences where she isn't literally kicking people on the side for Cap.

This is acceptable though.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
I don't read the comics but i'm assuming if arsenal is still a super-hero he gets some kind of cloned arm / robot arm / telepathic hoverbow.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Okay, I guess Oliver didn't die, he just somehow survived the massive bone-shattering fall (which they could easily have written to be a shorter fall into snow and not only rocks). But I guess that's still better than herbs bringing him back from the dead.

The angle of the landing coupled with the surprisingly rock shaped snow that was so loosely packed it softened the fall. Just run with it. In fact, gently caress it - the intense cold stopped the sword wound from killing him and trace amounts of the magic herb grew on the mountain, sustaining him until Maseo showed up.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Azhais posted:

He pre-treated himself with magic herbs

I bet he mainlines the stuff. And Freebases it. They're gonna do the drug thing but with Roy and Ollie switched "My mentor is a junkie!"

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

BrianWilly posted:

I remember people back then were trying to fanfic the plot into something better too, like "Maybe she wants an in with the Bratva!" Yeah, well, let me know when that happens.

This is still possible - I mean either Waller sends him to Russia or he escapes his ARGUS situation and then... decides to head for russia, presumably for the lulz.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
As awesome as Diggle being a green lantern would be - there is a reason Batman isn't a green lantern even though he has more will power than anyone else and scarecrow doesn't get a yellow ring even though fear is his entire gimmick (outside of one offs and elseworlds).

What i'm saying is The Black Driver is already powerful enough, given preptime and wheels.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Nephthys posted:

Get wreck'd Lance. Worse detective than a baby.

The coolest of dudes.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Yannick_B posted:

This will now come up forever but it's a really silly comparison to make. The fact that one is meant
to go on CW and the other on Netflix changes both show from the ground up. Hell, Arrow itself
would be different if it could go 50-60 minutes per episodes like Daredevil does.

Fairly sure Arrows budget is so small in comparison to Daredevils (which is also ten episodes shorter but say eight because each runs a little longer) that it would be like comparing the moon and the sun.

Daredevil is really loving good though, like I can't imagine how they could have made it better (besides making a spin off "keeping it real with Stick")

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

XboxPants posted:

It may not be fair, but I kind of don't care? You mention comparing the moon and the sun. If I want to sit outside and easily read a book, then it may not be fair to expect that much light from the moon, but it doesn't matter if it's fair. That's how much light I need to enjoy myself. Similarly, I want a show that's really entertaining. I'm not gonna sit and watch a low quality show and be happy just 'cause "hey, that's all the better they can do".

Hey moonlight thread not to spoil your day (heh) but sunlight totally shits on moonlight.

What the gently caress are you even doing here? If Arrow is a low quality show then what possible enjoyment do you get from reading a bunch of people talking about it?

Daredevil has a big fat guy taking over the slums with an army of thugs and corrupt cops, Arrow has an earthquake machine. They are different styles completely.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

XboxPants posted:

I'm here because I've been enjoying Arrow for a years, but I've been feeling for a while like the quality's been declining. It's not the Silver Age tone - I actually like the over-the-top stuff - but basic things like writing and acting and production quality. This decline felt especially stark when I watched a somewhat similar show that did those things better. So I thought I could discuss this issue with other fans of Arrow, and see what thoughts they had on the matter.

Hope that helps give you an idea of my perspective and goals.

It does!

I agree, Arrow season 3 hasn't felt as good as season 2 - but I think mostly thats because the Flash has been doing the stuff I like about Arrow so much better than Arrow but Arrow hasn't really done anything to set itself apart other than more relationship poo poo and a slightly grittier tone than Flash (and Ras Al Ghul - having him about is insanely cool).

But I still think Arrow is enjoyable and I enjoy it in a different way to how I enjoyed Daredevil. Your comparison about my comparison is flawed because we're not talking about wanting to read a book in both cases.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

It would be pretty funny is Deathstroke did a complete heel-turn and started protecting Starling City, just to gently caress with Oliver.

Face-turn. A heel-turn is what Ollie did.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Narcissus1916 posted:

Especially given that Justice League basically had a blank check for its first few years - the creators said that the only thing they were flatly denied was Blue Beetle (Arrow ran into the same problem).

What the gently caress are they doing with Blue Beetle? Is this a rights thing or have they got some massive secret undertaking that precludes Blue Beetle showing up on screens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Phylodox posted:

It depends, are we getting regular Archie or crazy Predator fighting, zombie battling Archie?

I've heard its going to have strange elements because of the success of 'Afterlife with Archie'. Probably no predator / punisher action though.

• Locked thread