Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Am I the only non-Tumblr-teenager who actually likes the Oliver/Felicity thing? I think the two actors have a lot of chemistry and enjoy seeing them in scenes together. Felicity's awkard cuteness kinda softens Ollie's tough guy persona.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

JohnSherman posted:

Holy poo poo, they ordered Jane the Virgin to series?

The true unbelievable twist this hour.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I don't think this show can possibly get any better. This is seriously don't-bother-me TV for me.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Bury your gays strikes again

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

KilGrey posted:

I liked the premier and I'm excited for Laurel to be Black Canary. Kate Cassidy is an awesome actress and she deserves so much more than they've given her. I think she's going to be awesome.

I don't get the Laurel hate that seems to come from everyone who watches this show. I find her a bit frustrating at times but that's how I'm supposed to think of her. She had a substance abuse problem last season, went through a lot of tough poo poo and made a ton of selfish decisions but now she's recovering and I'm willing to give her a second chance.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I can't believe there are people in this thread actually talking about how Arrow disempowers women. Did you miss how Team Arrow would be nowhere without Felicity, and how she took down Slade? Or how Ollie was taught to fight by a woman? Or how Moira saved thousands of lives? Or how Sara saved Ollie from certain capture last year? Or how the Huntress easily took down hordes of men in her quest for revenge? Or how much rear end Sara kicked? Or how Thea stood up to people whom nobody else would dare stand up to and took nobody's bullshit? Or how Laurel is a competent, intelligent, ruthless lawyer and champion for the helpless? If anything, I'd say this is one of the most pro-feminist shows The CW has had in years.

poo poo I had to edit this post like ten times as the examples came to me.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 10, 2014

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

VagueRant posted:

I loathe to bring this up, but I remember everyone talking about Katie Cassidy's face looking different in season 2 and people saying it was weight loss and method acting for her character...Has her face gone back to normal this season? I have no idea.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. When I watched the first episode of S2, I seriously thought they were going to introduce a plotline about how she became addicted to painkillers during the time Ollie was back on the island again. She did look a bit less wooden this episode.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Carlosologist posted:

Gravedigging with Team Arrow is something I could get behind honestly. All kidding aside, the emotion of the scene was palpable and really well done. Not something you expect from this kind of show.

This show, you guys.

Yeah I usually would've rolled my eyes at a death episode on any show but this was really good all around. Some fabulous, fabulous acting on this superhero show. All the characters are just so developed and flesh-out. They feel like real people.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I really can't blame Thea for going with Malcolm. If I were in her situation at the S2 finale, I would've gone, too. He was pretty much the only person in her whole life who ever treated her with any kind of respect and didn't make a hobby out of lying to her about everything.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I may have said this before but I actually find Thea to be one of the better characters in the show. She stands her ground always and makes zero apologies for who she is or what she believes in. I'm interested to see where they're taking this whole plot line with her. Anyone have any idea who they could be making her into? I've never read any Arrow comics or otherwise experienced Ollie outside of Smallville.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Does anyone think there's some other ulterior reason why this guy is so interested in Felicity? Maybe it'll tie into her past?

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

You mean after he was cured and he still said he was going to kill them all and the fact he killed a shitload of people? Also Slade was responsible for the worst of Roys actions when he took his blood and pumped his body full of more of it.

Yeah, I'm glad Slade didn't get any redemption. I hated Slade. Hated hated hated him (like I was probably supposed to). I was so loving glad when Ollie kicked his rear end. Dude was a psychotic alpha-male douchebag who got so hung up over some girl that didn't love him back that he went on a murderous city-destroying rampage to "avenge" her. What a dick.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
The trailer for next week's episode is... very strange. Cool but strange. It gave off an almost supernatural vibe what with the psychic dreams and candle seance thing. Does the paranormal ever come into play in the Arrowverse or was the trailer purposely filmed to be misleading? Is it all Cupid stuff?

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I love the Cupid character. She's so delightfully sociopathic.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I said it before and I'll say it again: I wonder if this Ray guy doesn't have some kind of ulterior motive in his seduction of Felicity. I mean not that she isn't cute and smart and stuff but he's like REALLLY into her and for no apparent reason. He doesn't even seem to know her too well.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
That explosion you heard was Tumblr.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I have to say that this is one of the few TV shows which hasn't disappointed me yet. I just hope they can keep up this momentum, because I'm afraid it'll eventually fizzle out.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I'm sort of bummed that he won't be shrinking though because they want the urban fantasy show with Mirakuru, masked vigilantes and insta-hacking on a tablet to be "realistic". What's even the point of having the Atom with no shrinking? What next Spiderman without web shooting and wall-climbing? Wolverine with no claws? Batman with a green suit? for real

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

I seem to recall them explaining the Mirakuru as primarily an excuse to bring on the Flash. Now that his show is established and the Deathstroke storyline is finished, Mirakuru's role is over.

Yeah and I think that's kinda lame for a superhero show to do. I think it's going to start seeming really forced if they attempt to invent "realistic" explanations for characters who are canonically fantastical in origin- not that I'm one of those comic book purists or something but super powers are always more exciting than no super powers IMHO and they do it really well on the Flash. And plus it shares the same universe as the Flash. It's not like superpowers don't exist there.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Supergirl is going to be on CBS and the CW has been very vocal that they want a third DC series. Will it be the Atom? Will it be Firestorm? We had hopes for a Suicide Squad series but with the film I doubt we'll get that now.

Alan Scott Green Lantern. The gay version. I unironically think it'd be pretty drat awesome if nerdy gay kids got someone to look up to as well. Obviously for many more reasons other than just that but I think his sexuality would be enough of a hook to make the concept stand apart from Arrow & The Flash.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 21, 2014

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

limeincoke posted:

just finished season 1. Holy poo poo Oliver is a mass murderer. He'll just straight up murder dozens of people whose only crime is being a bodyguard for the "bad guys." and noone says anything about this. It's a real disconnect when he then has moral dilemmas over killing 1 single person.

A lot of people cite this as an issue with the show, but I see it as more of an interesting facet of the character (and one that they acknowledge, so it is purposeful). You can easily have debates and discussions over the morality of this- is it for the greater good? Is the killing of a few bad guy lackies justifiable if it means saving innocent lives?

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

limeincoke posted:

A few? Well more like hundreds. And no - it's not. Killing hundreds of people who, for all we know, are just independent contractors working a security mission and aren't bad guys at all, is not worth possibly saving lives. Especially when, like a poster before said, he gets to the big bad guy and decides to let him live. Also especially when news networks don't lead off with "Vigilante murders 25 people in downtown warehouse."

That said, that's the only problem I have with the show. It's a entertaining show so it's all good.

But do we know they're "independent security contractors"? Maybe they're just as corrupt as the people they're serving. I don't think it's as cut-and-dry as you're making it out to be. I'm not saying, of course, that this justifies slaughtering them all and leaving the upper class guy alive, just that I'm not sure we as viewers are meant to think those people defending Bad Guy One-Percenter are perfectly innocent.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Phylodox posted:

This is all going to seem so quaint by Arrow season 10 when Mxyzptlk and Darkseid are regular recurring villains, half the season takes place in space, and Batman and Superman stop by every couple of months to share high-fives over Big Belly Burgers.

Maybe it's because I have a high tolerance for camp but I would not mind that at all and actually think Mr. Mxyzptlk would be pretty awesome. Hell even have Joss Whedon on to guest write some episodes, just go all the way home.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Holy poo poo that was a great plot twist.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
What'd Nyssa say to Ollie?

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Am I the only one who thinks that everyone is always too harsh on Ollie? I mean, he isn't perfect and sometimes he can be very condescending, but he's been a very good friend to all of them (ESPECIALLY Roy) and I just don't get their random bursts of anger towards him all of a sudden.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I was so glad when Thea actually shot Slade; she had every right to, since he killed her mother and then tried to murder her. It's about time that familiar scene played out differently. That's what the 8,000th YOU'RE NOT A KILLLERRRR speech Ollie's thrown at everyone since the show began? Just a shame Slade didn't die.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

WarLocke posted:

Uh, yeah man, Ollie's whole arc is that by the time he got back to Starling City he was pretty much a broken shell of a man and had to learn how to 'live'/be a 'real person' all over again.

I will grant that a little bit of the first couple episodes may have been Amell settling in (did he do much before Arrow?) but the character was pretty explicitly written to be off-putting and 'woody' that way.

I actually thought this, too. It's clear to me he returned to Starling as this really broken, troubled person who'd been trained to do nothing but kill. He learned how to trust others again and opened up to Diggle, Felicity, ect. and loosened up some. He actually seems to have a (admittedly dry) sense of humor now.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I just don't know who is going to be the antagonist now? Ra's is also no longer threatening after asking Ollie to become the next... him (I know that's an awkward sentence).

This season was a bit odd in general. I mean, it wasn't bad, it just feels so in-between. Usually the third and fifth seasons of most shows tend to be the best, so it's unusual.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I'm really loving the idea of Laurel & Nyssa training together, that's p sexy (and cute). I wonder if they'd go in the direction of making them lovers?

Also, Ra's looked pretty bizarre in Ollie's Arrow costume, in an "Uncle Bill! Get out of the Batman suit! You're like 55!" kinda way. However, I do have to say that I'm surprised that someone hadn't already tried the whole Arrow-copycat thing already because it seems like it would be the best way to take him down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

GLOSS posted:

So is he joining the super hero clusterfuck show next year? Seems like that'd make sense with this send-off...

Don't get me wrong, I love Arrow & The Flash, but that Superhero Clusterfuck Show just sounds like one too many to follow. Can't the CW come up with another original show to fill the slot? I'd much rather have something different to watch like iZombie, which was an awesome surprise.

• Locked thread