Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Best OP on the board. Show deserves it. :bravo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
:mad: drat it, show, you were doing so well.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

DivisionPost posted:

Laurel's going to Oliver to demand the gently caress out of his training. They're not waiting until the end of the season to show off those guns.

Actually, somebody else is going to train her. Ummm... not Bronze Tiger. Black Panther? Black Tiger? Brown Puma? gently caress me, I can't remember all these goddamn Metal Gear codenames.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Not cool with killing off Sara. It's the dumbest, laziest way to make Laurel the Canary. She survives Season 2 and you give her this? gently caress off.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Stayne Falls posted:

I think that if you're frustrated and disappointed that a character died on a TV show then the writers are doing their job well.

Haha, no. I was not frustrated or disappointed when they killed off Tommy. Nor when they killed off Moira, who at least went out like a loving champion. I mean, Sara didn't even get a good death. Moira and Tommy both got to do something awesome that showed their characters at their pinnacle before they died. Sara comes back after getting, if not a happy ending, then at least a resolution to her storyline, to take out a nameless goon, have a pep talk with Ollie and Laurel, and get chumped from behind? Bull. poo poo.

Good writing draws you in. It's entirely possible for good writing to invoke frustration and disappointment, like, say, when a character repeatedly makes bad decisions (Oliver! :argh:), because you're frustrated with the character, which means you're absorbed in the story. But when you're frustrated and disappointed with the story itself, that necessarily means you've been taken out of the story and distanced from the characters and their actions.

To put it another way, good writing is like good magic. It's all trickery and illusion, but if you do it right, no one will care that they're being fooled. That's why people go to magic shows. A magician that frustrates or disappoints his audience is not a very good magician, because it means he can't even trick people who want to be fooled.

Spergatory fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Oct 9, 2014

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
BTW (:iamafag:), I'm not quitting the show or anything over this. Arrow has built up way too much goodwill for that. I'm just disappointed. Especially since I spent the summer selling the show to friends and one of the main selling points was how well it treated its kickass ladies, letting them do their own thing and not taking the easy way out by killing them off even though practically everyone expected them to. I thought you were better than this, show. :colbert:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

fallin1 posted:

I'm going to toss out the theory that Nyssa did it.

Nah. There's a quote from a Katie Cassidy interview that teases a Nyssa-and-Laurel team up to avenge her.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Yeah, about that. I'm still confused how that happened. It doesn't seem intuitive to me to go from internal bleeding from being punched hard to 'heart condition'.

I don't understand the science behind Mirakuru. Someone please explain?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Flash is a pretty big draw. Hell, I only started watching this show once I heard he would be on it. Came for the Flash, stayed for the abs (and other cool stuff I guess).

Plus, superpowers are a big draw on their own. Unless you're Batman, powers > no powers.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

While I tend to agree with this line of thought, this show does a marvelous job of making it work with or without powers.

Plus, the way this show handles a hero whose main weapon is a bow and arrow is nothing short of incredible. So many of the fights in this show would be either impossible or much less interesting if the archery was stripped out.

Oh, no, I agree. Arrow has the best and most creative action on television, powers or no. I meant that powers trump no-powers as a draw for viewers, not as a general principle.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

Yeah, I know. I'm mostly just saying that the bow and arrow, itself, is a draw. (I also acknowledge that that's probably just me.)

:golfclap:

(Tell me you made that pun on purpose.)

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

The comicsalliance recap and TheBacklot recap (note: rampant gaiety) both completely gloss over the detail, the former of which outright suggesting that she kept it from him for another reason entirely.

The Backlot's recaps have always been terrible. They barely pay attention to the shows they watch.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Ollie looks at Roy like he's a particularly dumb kid brother. I approve. :allears:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

This episode was honestly kind of jumpy and disconnected (one scene went from Oliver talking to Thea to Oliver on a stakeout with Diggle with no preamble whatsoever) but I liked all the things that happened in all those disconnected scenes, so that's great.

Yeah, I think the show needs to be careful about the number of plots it's juggling. I like all of these plots, but it's a lot to keep in the air and it makes it hard to focus.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
With all of this Streak talk, I will be very disappointed if there's not at least one Flash episode where Barry accidentally runs his clothes off and has to dash through the city naked. :colbert:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

bbf2 posted:

They already cast a different dude for a Flash movie, time to give it up already.
The sad thing is that the Arrow/Flash TV people have such a sad puppy dog "please pretty please let our universe be a part of the movies!" attitude about the whole thing, when really it should be the opposite quality-wise because their shows are great and the DC movie planning sounds like an awful clusterfuck rush job and the only movie they've released so far was total pretentious painful garbage that was devoid of any hint of fun, entertainment, or emotion.

I have never once gotten the impression that anyone involved in Arrow production wants anything to do with the movies. Just the opposite, actually. It's the legions of tone deaf fans who want to cram everything together. That article to me just reads like the guy saying "fine, okay, it's possible, now will you PLEASE shut up about it?"

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Colton Haynes is goddamn sexy is what he is. :quagmire:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Colton Haynes learned the art of the unnecessary flip from Teen Wolf and he has employed it judiciously ever since.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
That was... kind of underwhelming, to be honest. :geno:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I got the impression that it wasn't Malcolm's SUPER SERIOUS WORD OF HONOR that swayed Oliver, but his logical explanation of why it would have been loving stupid for him to kill Sara. Malcolm Merlyn is many things, but he ain't dumb.

And I'm pretty sure that Oliver does not intend to just leave him running around in the long run. He's figuring out what Malcolm knows and trying to find a better way to deal with him, possibly involving ARGUS.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
No way the bad guy isn't Felicity's ex. I don't think Nolan Gerard Funk has ever played a character who isn't some kind of terrible psychopath.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
If it was 100% Felicity's boyfriend before, it is 10000% now.

Also he better be shirtless at some point. This is Abs: the Show, and NGF has abs for days. :colbert:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
God drat you, Nolan Gerard Funk, why are you so hot and evil-looking? :argh:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I love how Roy always looks slightly shocked when he actually hits something with an arrow.

Also I guess he and Dig are not part of Ollie's no-kill pact. :black101:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

What a nerd, he made bioshock turrets.

He got them spot-on too, every bit as ineffectual and useless.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
The best part is that this totally ties in with drug-crazed dead-cat-loving Roy from the comics. :allears:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Stuff like this is a lot easier to watch if you mentally replace the words hacking, hackers, and virus with magic, wizards, and curse, respectively, because that's what they are to most people. MIT is just a stand-in for Hogwarts.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I have never been so happy watching television. :buddy:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Not a bad episode but this season is really lacking for momentum thusfar. I don't feel like either the Hong Kong or Starling plots are actually going anywhere or building towards anything. Hopefully they fix that soon.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
God, I love Thea now. I love her so loving much. :allears:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Punch him. Punch him goddamn it. :black101:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Arrow writers. You are garbage at writing romance. Please stop forever.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

HaitianDivorce posted:

D'aww. Ollie and Roy heading over to Dig and Lila's for dinner is really sweet.

E: Also holy poo poo Captain Boomerang

I am so not about the romantic drama but I at least like the results. :unsmith:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Goddammit I just want Thea to murder someone. SHOW US THE DARKNESS INSIDE! :black101:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

e X posted:

Nice, that was pretty awesome. I kinda question that Thea is able to stand up to Ollie after only a couple of month of training, but it makes for a great fight.

I seriously doubt he was fighting her full-on. I think he was just completely taken aback that she fought him at all.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Should've chosen your weapon a little more carefully Ollie.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
In other news, Stephen Amell remains the best.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
If Ollie is going to be out of the picture for a while, I really hope the writers take the opportunity to turn Roy into, like, an actual person. I used to be pissed at Colton for leaving Teen Wolf but now I just kinda feel bad for him because he's basically been reduced to a prop. A magnificently sculpted prop with a jawline that could cut glass.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
gently caress Batman. I hope he never appears. I hope Bruce Wayne was killed in a tragic falling piano accident in this universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I love episodes like this. I love seeing characters who don't usually talk to each other that much having meaningful interactions. I'm actually kind of sad that it looks like Oliver is coming back so soon, because I'm enjoying what his absence is doing for the team.

• Locked thread