Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
air-sushi
Sep 30, 2014
I am from Kathmandu. I have been living in the U.S. for school for 5 years, but visiting yearly on average and am qualified to answer any questions regarding the country, culture, language, politics (ish. 'Politics' in Nepal is a strong word.)

Not enough people seem to know, or care to know too much about Nepal, yet it's a very interesting place: home to Mount Everest, sandwiched between India and China, birth place of Buddha, etc. So I thought if anyone here was thinking of traveling there, or generally wanted to know more about the country, I'd leave this thread out. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

air-sushi posted:

I am from Kathmandu. I have been living in the U.S. for school for 5 years, but visiting yearly on average and am qualified to answer any questions regarding the country, culture, language, politics (ish. 'Politics' in Nepal is a strong word.)

Not enough people seem to know, or care to know too much about Nepal, yet it's a very interesting place: home to Mount Everest, sandwiched between India and China, birth place of Buddha, etc. So I thought if anyone here was thinking of traveling there, or generally wanted to know more about the country, I'd leave this thread out. :)

I've heard that the pizza hut in Kathmandu is a dress up event with a bouncer. C/D?

air-sushi
Sep 30, 2014
This is almost accurate, minus the bouncer (unless that is a very recent addition.)

The reason behind this is that we never had any international fast food chains in Nepal when I was growing up - the closest thing we had was Baskin Robins. But majority of our T.V. came from India, thus, constant exposure to commercials for things like McDonalds and KFC and Pizza Hut (and Indian commercials are drat good too, easily better than U.S. commercials funnily enough) led the people in Kathmandu to somehow idolize these places as something always out of our reach.

Then one day a few years ago, a wild KFC appears right in the middle of the most happening part of town. It's called "KFC Restaurant" and super posh - but still fast food style, you pick up your own food from the counter and pay there etc. Pretty pricy though, and just a very classy feel to the place. Along with it - literally above it even - however, came the famous "Pizza Hut Restaurant" you refer to. FINALLY we could eat some of that yummy goodness we had been subjected to pictures of for years and years, so naturally we would pay any amount of money to access it. And we do. Go into the Pizza Hut and you get hosts and servers (who for some reason speak English exclusively and not even very well) and classy menus and seating and very expensive version of the crappy fast food you get delivered to your house when literally nothing else is available.

So we have one KFC, one Pizza Hut, and no concept of fast food as a working class thing.

I wonder what will happen if and when they finally bring McDonalds.

heyniceperro
Mar 22, 2007

You're the one for me, fatty.
I'm planning a long backpacking trip and one of my planned stops is going to Everest base camp. How easy is it to just show up alone and find a guide/group to get there? What are good months to visit?

air-sushi
Sep 30, 2014
You should have no trouble finding a group to trek with upon arrival at all. Just be careful not to go during what we call the "monsoon" season: July-September, it rains constantly. Ideally you want to go either in May-June or October. These are the peak hiking times you'll see the mountain clearest while also not freezing all of your body parts. Good luck! Let me know if you want more information, or if you're going any time soon, you want me to get you in touch with some locals who can give you advice once you get there!

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:
You should post in the Everest thread, you'd probably get a lot of questions:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3626517&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=47

air-sushi
Sep 30, 2014

Hmm, I am not a hiker/climber though (nor a Sherpa, before someone asks lol) so I don't know if I feel qualified to answer anything based on my nationality alone. Maybe I will lurk a bit longer and then if there seems to be anything I can answer, I will.

Chef Bromden
Jun 4, 2009
What's one thing, besides Everest, that visitors to Nepal absolutely have to see?
Are there any secret places that only locals know that you think tourists would really enjoy?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Do you still have to worry about communist rebels if you travel around the country, or are poorly conditioned roads the only real trouble? I know the Naxalites in India love bombing civilians, but wasn't sure if the Nepalese communists were like that too.

In any case, I always liked the idea of traveling around from Nepal to Darjeeling and Sikhim, but wasn't sure how viable transport really is. Everyone I know who's been there has been on expeditions with private hire, but that's not really my deal.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Nepal to Darjeeling/Sikkim is quite doable on your own, and you don't need to do private hire. I haven't done it, but I've crossed the border between India/Nepal several times (mostly the Sunali border crossing, but I also did the Mahendranagar/Banbasa border a few months ago) and there's some hassle, but not much more than usual.

edit: In 2007 some rebels shook me down for cash when I was hiking around the Annapurna area, but they were quite friendly about it. Things can get a little funny at times, though. I got temporarily stranded in the Helambu area this last November because elections were happening and Maoist bus companies were on strike, so that opposition party voters couldn't get to the ballots. I spent a day walking toward Kathmandu from where I expected to catch a bus, and eventually caught a car with a local guy that I met on the road. Getting around is always possible.

Roctavian fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 13, 2014

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
I am planning a long trip to asia, and i was thinking about passing into Nepal. Simple easy question: How is the weather during summer(I may end up there in July/August? I mean, how is the season? Does it differs much from regions?

air-sushi
Sep 30, 2014
Hi guys,

Sorry I was away for a little while.
Answering the last question first.

RattiRatto posted:

I am planning a long trip to asia, and i was thinking about passing into Nepal. Simple easy question: How is the weather during summer(I may end up there in July/August? I mean, how is the season? Does it differs much from regions?
July/August falls within what we call the monsoon season. So it's going to rain a lot. Like a lot. But this is in the captial Kathmandu, I think it varies slightly as you get higher up. When it's not raining, it's warm in the capital and the valleys and plains. The mountains, of course, are cold haha.

I don't think it's the worst time to visit, but the rain will definitely be annoying.

Roctavian posted:

Nepal to Darjeeling/Sikkim is quite doable on your own, and you don't need to do private hire. I haven't done it, but I've crossed the border between India/Nepal several times (mostly the Sunali border crossing, but I also did the Mahendranagar/Banbasa border a few months ago) and there's some hassle, but not much more than usual.

edit: In 2007 some rebels shook me down for cash when I was hiking around the Annapurna area, but they were quite friendly about it. Things can get a little funny at times, though. I got temporarily stranded in the Helambu area this last November because elections were happening and Maoist bus companies were on strike, so that opposition party voters couldn't get to the ballots. I spent a day walking toward Kathmandu from where I expected to catch a bus, and eventually caught a car with a local guy that I met on the road. Getting around is always possible.

This is accurate about Darjeeling/Sikkim. Random historical fact that I don't know if everyone knows: these areas used to be a part of Nepal before we fought the East India Company during the Indian colonization. So even culturally, Darjeeling/Sikkim are more Nepalese than Indian.

And I'm sorry about your experience! Things often happen to be on strike there, unfortunately, because of political instability. :( Glad you found a ride though.

Saladman posted:

Do you still have to worry about communist rebels if you travel around the country, or are poorly conditioned roads the only real trouble? I know the Naxalites in India love bombing civilians, but wasn't sure if the Nepalese communists were like that too.

In any case, I always liked the idea of traveling around from Nepal to Darjeeling and Sikhim, but wasn't sure how viable transport really is. Everyone I know who's been there has been on expeditions with private hire, but that's not really my deal.

See above. :)

Chef Bromden posted:

What's one thing, besides Everest, that visitors to Nepal absolutely have to see?
Are there any secret places that only locals know that you think tourists would really enjoy?

If you are into adventure sports, I highly recommend checking out the Bunjee Jumping site at Bhote Koshi. It's the third highest in the world and an absolutely blast/ beautiful area. You should also go to the town of Pokhara to experience lots of natural beauty. It's absolutely serene there. From a quick Google search:

https://www.google.com/search?site=...298.OfYON5PAed8

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
What are prices like compared to India? What kind of food is generally available outside Kathmandu? Is it a steady diet of daal bhat, or is there a bit of variety? How is overland travel? Is Kathmandu a fun place to hang out for a while?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Please tell me the best place to get momo in Kathmandu

• Locked thread