Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AmishSpecialForces
Jul 1, 2008
Hello, I have no idea about anything concerning cars. What's worse, I'm in Italy for the next three years so I can't exactly converse easily with the local mechanics. I was just told that I need brand new brake pads/rotors/an AC compressor for my 2001 Honda civic. That's too bad, but what makes it worse is they are asking for $670 for parts and labor. I did some quick interwebs research which shows that the parts themselves are pretty cheap...in America. Is this an exorbitant amount? Should I attempt to install the parts on my own, given my complete lack of automotive ability? Should I drive my Honda into the Mediterranean and buy a Fiat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That price doesn't sound too unreasonable to me.

It's a bitch to replace the A/C compressor, they have to vacuum the system down, swap it out, and then recharge it and they'll probably replace the belts and stuff too. I would expect $100 for brake parts, $120 for an hour doing it. The cheapest a/c compressor even on rockauto is $170, plus the refrigerant, belts, call it 200, and at least an hour or two to do it at $120 an hour. $240 for the brake job, $400 for the a/c compressor, not too unreasonable.

You know what FIAT stands for, right? Found On Road Dead.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

To be honest, just replacing the compressor alone would cost at least that much in the US.

Brakes and a/c work are both mostly labor.

You can probably defer the a/c work until the spring if money is tight.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Powershift posted:

LOL You idiot, it stands for "Fix or Repair Daily"

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Powershift posted:

That's FORD. FORD

FIAT is Fix It Again Tony.

quote:

LOL You idiot, it stands for "Fix or Repair Daily"

See above .... unless :thejoke:

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 6, 2014

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cat Terrist posted:

That's FORD. FORD

FIAT is Fix It Again Tony.

See above .... unless :thejoke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AJCdmW33fM

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

You can probably defer the a/c work until the spring if money is tight.

Depends on how much OP needs the defroster to work, though. A/C makes it a hell of a lot easier to keep the inside of the windows clear of condensation.

You can't directly compare a parts-shop parts-only price to the parts-and-labor quote from a shop. A shop is going to charge you more for the parts than a retailer is, because in that case they're also probably paying more for the parts to get some additional warranty services with them. I know DrPain mentioned at least once in his thread that when he had a part fail on a customer, he was able to apply for reimbursement of his labor costs from the part manufacturer. You're not going to get that if you buy from Rockauto / Autozone / Amazon.

Honestly, accounting for that, $670 seems fairly reasonable for that work.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

More than reasonable OP. Most places in the US you'd be paying more than that.

Assuming this isn't a flybynight untrained idiot doing the work. If it's a respectable shop that does quality work, and uses decent parts that's an ok price.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cat Terrist posted:

That's FORD. FORD

First On Race Day :colbert:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

leica posted:

Built Ford Tough, with Chevy stuff :911:

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

leica posted:

Fuckin Old Rusty Dump

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Dang ol what you do man is stick a little oil down there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmishSpecialForces
Jul 1, 2008
Thanks for your help. I decided to go ahead get the brake rotors/pads replaced along with fluids. The AC will have to wait since I dont want to eat into the grappa budget. Good to know the shop on base is legit.
Grazie!

• Locked thread