Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dec 26, 2012

6 has its charms and some maps i really like but its hard to argue 7 isnt a better thought out game in most respects and it compares most unfavorably if you play it directly after 7, which is when most americans play it for the obvious reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
yeah if you wanna go by quality of gameplay do 6 7 8

i love the branching promotions in 8

someone hacked those into 4

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Why don't people in fire emblem have feet?

Intsys underestimated how good the 3DS hardware was so they made the models not have feet so they wouldn't have to spend resources animating them. By the time they realized they could have given people proper feet they decided it would be too much effort so decided to pretend it was a stylistic choice. That's what I heard.

Also seconding braching promotions being cool.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
there's some fe8 classes that just plain aren't good that kind of ding the branching promotions a little

why would you take rogue or summoner

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i don't give a poo poo about rogue being the one that can pick locks, that's why you have the prepromote rogue

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I would like to play Fire Emblem 5, but the translation patch for it looks pretty gross and I don't know if I can go back to user interfaces like they used to have. Please advise.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

play it it owns

after a level or two you get used to the flaws of the patch

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Ima play fire emblem awakening on the 3ds as my first turn based strategy game since I played http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shining_Force_II:_The_Sword_of_Hajya on my sega gamegear 25 years ago and I bet its gonna be pretty awesome you god drat fun hating dorks. [I hope so hard it is as fun]

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Oct 9, 2014

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I played the first five seconds of this game and I'm really excited to get back to it and play all the other seconds.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

01011001 posted:

6 has its charms and some maps i really like but its hard to argue 7 isnt a better thought out game in most respects and it compares most unfavorably if you play it directly after 7, which is when most americans play it for the obvious reason

I'm doing exactly this and so far I think 6 is better, even if hector the thousand man slayer dies like a bitch 10 minutes into the game rip in peace that shining diamond of a man

maybe it's just because there's no bullshit tutorial for the first 10 chapters but 6 feels like it doesn't gently caress around without relying on just giving everyone hilariously godlike stats. Because I can't fall back on hector/lyn to mop everyone up (because it turns out roy is kind of a pussy outside of smash bros) I feel like I need to actually tactics my way to victory way more then I did in seven.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

also having the kid you spend a bunch of missions rescuing who is really sympathetic suddenly turn into hitler and kill hector is the first time I gave a poo poo about the story in a fire emblem game

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
roy's promotion mechanic is loving stupid

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Doctor Goat posted:

why would you take rogue or summoner

this is unimaginably wrong

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
say more words than that

assassin has silencer and all of them have crazy good luck, summoner is.. summoner, they're a fun gimmick

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
rogues suck. summoner is the best

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
SURPRISE CODE:

put this code in and play any of the GBA games

83000000 0000
83000002 0000
83000004 0000

i'm not saying what it does, find out for yourself. it makes 8 extreme as gently caress

Dec 26, 2012

generally speaking, theres not much reason to go rogue, but summoner is fun

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
you can get two summoners and it's easy to beat any map with them and their cronies alone

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Nanomashoes posted:

how do you like Ike now?

you...

don't you show that ever to to me again

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
STOP

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I actually like the Roy a lot.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Doctor Goat posted:

I actually like the Roy a lot.

yeah roy is pretty much the only one that doesn't suck, ironically.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

:henget:

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i like leif/ephraim/alm

i am actively offended by ike/micaiah/eirika/celica

palla's weird outfit angle makes it less good but it's a good design aside from that.

the rest are just okay.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

fronz posted:

you can get two summoners and it's easy to beat any map with them and their cronies alone

if you're talkinga bout fire emblem 8, i remember i went out of my way to make one of every class in that game, including making ross a pirate, because he was the only one who could

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

where is her nose?

Dec 26, 2012

darealkooky posted:

I'm doing exactly this and so far I think 6 is better, even if hector the thousand man slayer dies like a bitch 10 minutes into the game rip in peace that shining diamond of a man

maybe it's just because there's no bullshit tutorial for the first 10 chapters but 6 feels like it doesn't gently caress around without relying on just giving everyone hilariously godlike stats. Because I can't fall back on hector/lyn to mop everyone up (because it turns out roy is kind of a pussy outside of smash bros) I feel like I need to actually tactics my way to victory way more then I did in seven.

6 is a lot rougher around the edges which is a turnoff for some but once you know how it works then starting a new game is like :getin:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

SunAndSpring posted:

you...

don't you show that ever to to me again

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I wish 7 was on the virtual console, so that i could purchase it.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

mabels big day posted:

And 8.

Dec 26, 2012

mabels big day posted:

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

if they release good fire emblem games for like 5 bux or whatever they charge for gba games on the nintendo funstore then nintendo won't be able to sell as many 40 dollars + DLC copies of fire emblem awakening

do you wanna bankrupt nintendo you assholes??

Dec 26, 2012

darealkooky posted:

if they release good fire emblem games for like 5 bux or whatever they charge for gba games on the nintendo funstore then nintendo won't be able to sell as many 40 dollars + DLC copies of fire emblem awakening

do you wanna bankrupt nintendo you assholes??

given that awakening like doubled the second best selling fire emblem in sales, i dont think thats much of a concern

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

they should remake FE9 and 10 together as one game for the 3DS, and give it similar graphics and sounds like awakening, but keep the same maps and mostly the same mechanics as those games. give 10 real supports, and add a field map, that can't be used for grinding, but lets you visit shops from older chapters and maybe have challenge maps that reward no exp but give you items or bonus exp or something.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Bring back sidequest missions with obtuse requirements involving grinding in the separate tutorial campaign

unironically

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

They should make all the levels really complicated again. I want to have to worry about getting a certain character to a certain village before the enemy burns it down, so that I can open up a sidequest in which another character can be recruited from the enemy team, and if that character reaches some support rank with some other character, you get a bonus plot scene in the third-to-last chapter. poo poo like that. All over the place.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

babypolis posted:

man loving virion. hes the only archer u get so i had to make sure he was good but he only gets good levels on botched attempts.

is he really cos the game gives iu like thousands of epic bows and hardly anything else except for w/e u get from shiny tiles. funy

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

in 7 if you don't go to a random house in a side quest you don't get canas, the only person in the whole game who can use dark magic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
I got lucina amd It seems like Im basically invincible now .. kellam, tharja, anna and my avatar are my best chars. Ill resume my quest tonight

• Locked thread