Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

darealkooky posted:

bayonetta isn't nearly as good as a game that combines viewtiful joe and dmc should be, and has way too many flat out retarded elements

you're bagging on a japanese game for having "too many retarded elements"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
if you are ragging on bayonetta for too many retarded elements and then praising dmc3 you need help

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

matrix ripoff posted:

you're bagging on a japanese game for having "too many retarded elements"

Huurrrr! You best apologize before Gamers Against Racism bring they steel-toed boot down on your trachea.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
bayonetta's dodge mechanic is the most satisfying thing in the genre imo

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
I mean retarded as in who thought it was a good idea to force you to play 10 minutes of bad, constantly rotating the screen space harrier before you get to fight the best boss in the game

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
gently caress the space harrier section

the surfing boss owned though! the driving thing was okay

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

You don't have to constantly rotate the screen.

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

And, space harrier owns.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i just got really bored with it. i'd rather be kicking and punching dudes than flying a missile

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

you do if you want to actually avoid the shots because the game's coloring doesn't work for space harrier so you can get a platinum rank

also the fact that even without that it's not fun as space harrier, which is a shame because that game rules and that section makes me mad im not just literally playing space harrier instead

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
it's not even a good version of space harrier

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

i don't think the space harrier segment or the motor cycle part are really Fatal Flaws of the game tho.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

another insanely hosed up thing about bayonetta is that it makes every weapon play roughly 95% the same and changes how it counts your combo score so that there's literally zero reason to use any weapon besides the sword 90% of the time until you unlock the nunchucks (why is "get to the level complete screen 100 times" the unlock requirement for such a cool/unique weapon) or you're using the killgore glitch instead

to go from games where every single part of your movelist has a very clear use in situation/against enemy X like dmc1 and viewtiful joe to this bullshit is really lame

don't get me ragging on it wrong though, it's still like a high 8 at worse (ps3 ver), dmc3 is just god itself in the form of a videogame

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
there aren't any fatal flaws, bayonetta is one of the best games ever

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Doctor Goat posted:

there aren't any fatal flaws, bayonetta is one of the best games ever

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

conceitedguy posted:

i don't think the space harrier segment or the motor cycle part are really Fatal Flaws of the game tho.

they're not, but the game has other issues which keep it from being as good as dmc4 for me

def better than dmc3 though

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Devil May Cry 4 is insanely good. It's too bad that they didn't have more environments but the game plays differently enough as Dante and Nero that it doesn't really bother me. Bayonetta is better overall, I think. I have high hopes for Bayonetta 2.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
it's tough to say which i like more because Bayonetta and DMC4 are both so fantastic and two of my favorite games evar, but i think the better boss fights edge out dmc4 for me every time

that and i just like dante more than bayonetta, which is by no means saying anything bad about her i just think dante's the loving man

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Dante is extremely cool and I really hope we get a proper DMC5 someday. I think the team that made DMC4 is working on Dragon's Dogma 2, so it's unlikely that will happen. Also apparently DmC didn't sell very well so Capcom will probably just kill the franchise off.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
DMC4 Dante is the best, he is an Aloof Elemental

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
i think itsuno has said that he's totally cool with doing another dmc and the dmc4 team is not working on deep down, i think they're just kind of spread on other projects for the most part. if capcom ever wanted to make a dmc5 they could totally do it with the dmc4 team and it would be loving godlike. I'd like to think they know why DmC failed and will give DMC5 an actual shot

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
just make dmc4 dante the bayonetta 2 version of jeanne mode

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

dmc3 has way better boss fights than 4 imo, although part of that might just be because the way you don't have everything at once in dmc3 gives you more variety in strategies to fight them, while in dmc4 every boss is killed by doing the same GUNTRICKSWORDSETTRICKSWORD jump cancel juggle on them or punching all of their health away in one distorted real impact

dmc3 having more options for moves in general probably helps, as well as more then 5 bosses

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Silver Striker posted:

Dante is extremely cool and I really hope we get a proper DMC5 someday. I think the team that made DMC4 is working on Dragon's Dogma 2, so it's unlikely that will happen. Also apparently DmC didn't sell very well so Capcom will probably just kill the franchise off.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I remember reading about DmC and it's development. Apparently, Ninja Theory's early stuff was a lot more reminiscent of DMC1-4, but Capcom pushed them to piss off fans and other weird poo poo. It just sounded extremely retarded. So while I don't think Ninja Theory made a good DMC game, it's clear that Capcom is to blame as well.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
most of dmc3's bosses are really bad, giant gimmicks, just boring

for every nevan, agni & rudra, & vergil there is a loving leviathan, geryon, and arkham waiting in the shadows. the sheer volume of dmc3's bosses are the reason why i like dmc4 bosses more because they are more focused and have more to them than their one trick. each boss had a myriad of moves and you can fight them in a multitude of different ways even with just nero, that's not mentioning dante either

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Silver Striker posted:

I remember reading about DmC and it's development. Apparently, Ninja Theory's early stuff was a lot more reminiscent of DMC1-4, but Capcom pushed them to piss off fans and other weird poo poo. It just sounded extremely retarded. So while I don't think Ninja Theory made a good DMC game, it's clear that Capcom is to blame as well.

Every other game Ninja Theory has made is middling at the very best so I can believe they just did a bad job. Capcom is obviously to blame for letting it happen though

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
when i used to not like dmc style games it was because i just did the most effective thing over and over

don't do boring poo poo like that, just have a crazy good time and do the flashiest stuff you can while still being effective

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Silver Striker posted:

actually capcom didn't really tell them to do any of that, the development of ninja theory kept furthering to the point where capcom had to send actual members of the old dmc team and itsuno to supervise their work and make the game into what it ended up becoming. according to one of the team members, ninja theory would just have weapons on enemies bodies for no reason and they were so perplexed when they saw that.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
oh god i just remembered doppelganger, what a lovely boss fight, probably the second worst in that game only beaten by arkham

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

actually capcom didn't really tell them to do any of that, the development of ninja theory kept furthering to the point where capcom had to send actual members of the old dmc team and itsuno to supervise their work and make the game into what it ended up becoming. according to one of the team members, ninja theory would just have weapons on enemies bodies for no reason and they were so perplexed when they saw that.

Lol.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Interview with Alex Garland, writer of Enslaved posted:

Movie writers supposedly have a hard time dealing with game scripts, some providing movie scripts which have to be modified. What was your impression of Tameem’s script for Enslaved?

I think that’s a fair comment about movie writers and game scripts. It was certainly true of me. As for Tameem’s script, it was structurally all there. He’s a gifted and imaginative storyteller, and would work very naturally in the film world. I sort of hope he tries it someday, but in another way I don’t think he should, because there may be more interesting things to achieve in the games world.

I guess if I were to make a criticism it would relate to character and consistency. Making sure characters are true to themselves, and true to some kind of larger truth, which relates to the recipients of the narrative. That is to say, the player. Us. For example, I think the first serious discussion we had about the narrative was on the very first day that I, Tameem and the level designers all sat down together. We got to a section where Monkey was walking down a walkway, and he sees an escaping slave trying to pull himself up to the walkway. And instead of helping the guy up, Monkey kicked him in the face and sent him to his death. They thought that projected the idea that Monkey was a badass. Whereas, to me, it projected the idea that Monkey was a bit of a oval office.

I think that highlighted a difference in our approach to character. This is a generalisation, and I know there are plenty of exceptions to the rule, but game design has a tendency to be fast and loose with character, whereas in film and books, character is handled with kid gloves. Ultimately, if you want to be serious about narrative, you have to be serious about character too.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

The more I learn about Ninja Theory the more incredible it is to me that anyone likes them.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

this interview is never not amazing

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Beef Waifu posted:

for every nevan, agni & rudra, & vergil there is a loving leviathan, geryon, and arkham waiting in the shadows. the sheer volume of dmc3's bosses are the reason why i like dmc4 bosses more because they are more focused and have more to them than their one trick. each boss had a myriad of moves and you can fight them in a multitude of different ways even with just nero, that's not mentioning dante either

leviathan is basically not even a boss because you can destroy his rear end so quickly, geryon is cool because it's what all the boss fights in dmc2 wanted to be (a gun battle) only it's engaging because you need to constantly avoid projectiles/time bubbles and you can loop him to death if you aren't a fan of that kinda thing, arkham is garbage I agree but it has a lot of really awesome cutscenes where dante and vergil bro out so I can't hate it.

I never really felt like the main three bosses in dmc4 had that much depth to them. berial charges at you, swings at you and makes fire pillars. snake lady charges at you, swings at you, makes useless minions and shoots at you, dagon charges at you, jumps on you and shoots ice. all three of them also have really annoying god of war poo poo where you have to just stand there and watch them do something instead of trying to fight them (which is something all of the giant boses in dmc3 don't do, even levianthan can be shot at while he's in the tunnels). berial does his explosion after he loses his fire, snake lady has the bits where she flies outside of the arena and dagon has the bit where you need to stab his sexy angler fish thingies.

Speaking of god of war, all three of them also get stunned just by you pounding on them a lot (unlike angri and rudra where you need to parry/make them clash with eachother or nevan/doppleganger where the boss is designed around it) which further adds to the giant boss just being this big piece of poo poo monster you beat up on without any real resistance.

Nero doesn't really change any of this because he's so goddamn limited, level 3 charge shot, max exceed into their face, grappling hook everywhere, make sure to DT before you grab them so you get the full animation and can mash out summoned words. boring.

the other three bosses in the game (the savior and sanctus are not boss fights btw, and they're also way shittier then anything in dmc3) dante, credo and gay scientist are def upper tier DMC bosses, but you only fight the first two as nero outside of hacking the PC version or grinding through bloody palace.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Doctor Goat posted:

when i used to not like dmc style games it was because i just did the most effective thing over and over

don't do boring poo poo like that, just have a crazy good time and do the flashiest stuff you can while still being effective

it's way easier to be effective and flashy in dmc3 because you have way more moves, there are more weird fringe ways you can interact with bosses and you can't literally punch a boss once and take away 3/4ths of their health bar

Beef Waifu posted:

oh god i just remembered doppelganger, what a lovely boss fight, probably the second worst in that game only beaten by arkham
doppleganger is kinda weak but it's a neat idea for a boss, and also dies in like two minutes

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

darealkooky posted:

leviathan is basically not even a boss because you can destroy his rear end so quickly, geryon is cool because it's what all the boss fights in dmc2 wanted to be (a gun battle) only it's engaging because you need to constantly avoid projectiles/time bubbles and you can loop him to death if you aren't a fan of that kinda thing, arkham is garbage I agree but it has a lot of really awesome cutscenes where dante and vergil bro out so I can't hate it.

I never really felt like the main three bosses in dmc4 had that much depth to them. berial charges at you, swings at you and makes fire pillars. snake lady charges at you, swings at you, makes useless minions and shoots at you, dagon charges at you, jumps on you and shoots ice. all three of them also have really annoying god of war poo poo where you have to just stand there and watch them do something instead of trying to fight them (which is something all of the giant boses in dmc3 don't do, even levianthan can be shot at while he's in the tunnels).

lol what the gently caress

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

epic post bro :thumbsup:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
i agree, your generalizations were very hilarious and your making excuses for the game you like is cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

instead of actually telling me why I'm wrong, you instead posted with even less grammar and didn't actually say anything

I can't defeat a detached/ironic posting technique of this level, I bow to you sensei

• Locked thread