Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

El Perkele posted:

Radiators and keeping engine cool I understand, but ATAs and prop pitch/RPM are just moontalk to me. I just go by the old 46 controls, but it just somehow felt easier in 46. Well, time to learn, I guess?

It's been forever since I played the old IL2, but if I remember correctly then prop pitch is simply just a way of adjusting your RPM independent of your current throttle or speed. Most planes have an RPM range where the engine gives the best performance (sometimes marked on the dials, I think), and prop pitch is the way to keep it in that band as much as possible. Basically all you have to do is to increase the pitch when the RPMs get too high and vice versa. Or maybe the other way around, I always forget which way is which :v:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

EvilJoven posted:

Steam group is still active post your poo poo and I'll add you.

Also I can put aside some time for IL2 this weekend and probably evenings next week. Its so loving cold I had to layer up to bike home tonight.

I'm staying in and playing games. gently caress going out in this.

So start chiming in, people. When do you want to fly planes?

Count me in as well: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197983286848/

I'll be around most evenings on UTC+2, as well as basically any time on weekends.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

As somebody who's only recently got back into this, complex engine management really is pretty straightforward. I'll attempt a summary:

Prop pitch is mostly just a way to control your engines' RPM. If they're running high you increase the prop pitch some, if they're running low you decrease it. Most of the time you can just leave it at 80%-ish and be alright.

Mixture is mostly dependent on altitude. Most of the time you can just leave it at 100%, if you go higher you can decrease it for better efficiency. I think during takeoff you can also increase it for a bit of extra power.

Supercharger is also related to altitude. If you're climbing up high and find your engine losing power, knock the supercharger up a stage and you're fine. Take it back down a stage when losing altitude again.

I honestly have no idea what the Magneto even does, but it hasn't given me trouble yet. :v:

Honestly, most of the time you can just leave things on the default setting and won't lose out on much performance. Or alternatively just fly german planes, they tend to automate everything. Meanwhile, being able to control each engine individually can be pretty handy if they get damaged and you want to disable, extinguish, or feather them.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Shine posted:

Yup, with no mods. I just hopped out but they might still be playing.

We were flying bf 109 F-4s and tearing up squads of P-40s. The first mission took place at like 3AM, in pitch darkness. We had HUD markers so we could still spot enemy planes, but even then you could barely see the plane itself to actually shoot the drat thing. It was pretty intense!

Yeah, the desert mission was really fun. First a nice bit of ground attack (where we ended up accidentally strafing our own tanks for a few minutes :frogbon:), then suddenly there were like three squadrons of P-40s pouncing us.