Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

DICKHEAD posted:

I'll play it anyway because I'm stupid as hell

Same but because I don't give a drat about bugs unless their the ones that put me to sleep a la Hearts of Iron 3 tracking the mud percentage of 3000 provinces individually every single tick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

westernized iroquouis

I did this I think just before CoP came out and near the end France had settled next to me, utterly destroyed my army since they were still 10 techs ahead, took a single province in a war against me that wasn't even part of there casus belli and the AI just sat in that province until I sent like 5 different armies into it so I had extreme war exhaustion which made anti-westernization rebels pop up all over and I finally got tired of it and when one of the dialogue boxes for another group of them popped up I just sold the province to Norway but the rebels still popped up against me except they had full western Norwegian tech instead of whatever tech I had having just barely westernized.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Wormskull posted:

I did this I think just before CoP came out and near the end France had settled next to me, utterly destroyed my army since they were still 10 techs ahead, took a single province in a war against me that wasn't even part of there casus belli and the AI just sat in that province until I sent like 5 different armies into it so I had extreme war exhaustion which made anti-westernization rebels pop up all over and I finally got tired of it and when one of the dialogue boxes for another group of them popped up I just sold the province to Norway but the rebels still popped up against me except they had full western Norwegian tech instead of whatever tech I had having just barely westernized.

lol

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

DICKHEAD posted:

probably go full retard i think. if england collapses early with french and scottish help you can win big time

I decided to try helping england with scotland and steal the spoils...lo and behold the 100yw makes peace really quickly and England turns to domineering. :buddy:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I noticed that Ireland doesn't have that worthless national idea that increases republic tradition anymore...I also noticed that one of the sea zones by Ireland is called Dingle Bay.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I noticed that Ireland doesn't have that worthless national idea that increases republic tradition anymore...I also noticed that one of the sea zones by Ireland is called Dingle Bay.

lol

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

oh my god

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

it's cool that if you are a republic it's really good. i think they still have it but it gives something else as well though

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

What did they replace that one with, I thought I seen it last time I played when I tried to continue my ireland game from CK2.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

DICKHEAD posted:

it's cool that if you are a republic it's really good. i think they still have it but it gives something else as well though

Oh.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

It gives +10% trade steering instead of just tradition

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

DICKHEAD posted:

oh my god

Looks fairly epic.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

DICKHEAD posted:

Oh.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

ck2's tutorial sucks. hoi3's tutorial however is narrated by hitler, so it is good.

eu3's tutorial was never updated for any expansion pack and just crashed when you ran it. :sweden:

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

HoI3 isn't narrated by Hitler so much as a third person narrates him trying to teach you how to play the game, which is an important distiction.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Wormskull posted:

Looks fairly epic.

It's good as hell.

I took a bunch of Athenian cities east of Macedonia but in that main area they bottled up my army in a strait to the north and a pass to the south. lost a ton of men, a city to rebellion (that i got back), and only managed to get one city down there out of all of that. I had to declare a truce but it cost about 1.5x as much as my pre-war truce. Also one of my Balkan cities rebelled but I have a truce with the faction it rebelled to so I can't really get it back.

I'll have to rebuild and resupply for like a year or more before I can try again. I rescued Plato from the Athenians though.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I wish I had bought it before I reached 420 games on Steam.

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

I get paid to stab people with sharp objects.
Latecomer to the thread here but I am a hardcore eu/ck fan. Haven't really taken the plunge into Vicky. I can't loving stand the micro in hoi.

Zdr, you need to give ck2 another chance. I recommend the tutorial at https://www.ckiiwiki.com/Beginner%27s_guide and I would recommend doing Spain or Ireland. Ireland is my fave cause its a nice small area but there is a lot of conquering to be done without any truly powerful nations getting up in your kool-aid. After you get the basics, try someone that can kick a bit more rear end. It's hard to conquer the world in CK though, it's more about enduring that your sperm is more privileged than anyone else's sperm.

My favorite OMG moments in the regular game have come from playing the Vikings in the Old Gods expansion but I hate to recommend a DLC for a game you don't like yet.

I would also highly highly recommend the game of thrones mod if you're into that series. Being emotionally invested in your digital family is very important in the enjoyment of this game and if you've read the books its easier to care about the Starks and Martells than it is about some inbred poncy French monarch.

In my game I played as Daenerys and actually came back and claimed the gently caress out of the Iron Throne with my goddamn dragons. I also had a twin son and daughter with Daario that I married to each other and bred to bring the Targaryen line back. There was another son born without the white hair but he disappeared somehow mysteriously and in a way that was not at all ordered by Daenerys.

Long live House Targaryen.

Edit: if you want to do this poo poo in real history play as the Zoroastrians.

OkieMurse fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Oct 9, 2014

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Starting as Ireland in CK2 as of The Old Gods can be rough if you do the 867 start because the Norse can be extremely aggressive and tend to coalition with each other pretty hard. It wasn't until like 1300 when the HRE finally kicked the remaining norse and Norwegians out of england in the last game I played.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Be Matilda di Canossa for some epic win, as well.

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

Yeah Ireland is good for vanilla without DLC.

If you have a coast in Europe, Vikings wreck all your poo poo in Old Gods.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

so is victoria 2 finally good? my fav mapgame was victoria 1 and i always heard 2 was kind of a mess

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

babypolis posted:

so is victoria 2 finally good? my fav mapgame was victoria 1 and i always heard 2 was kind of a mess

It's epic.

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

Wormskull posted:

It's epic.

Since you're such a classy imp I'll have to give it a try Worm.

Any suggestions on a first timer to it to ensure a good addiction? Like I said, I've done plenty of EU3/4 and CK2 but I've never gotten around to playing Vicky at all.

(I think I do own all the DLC though.)

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I don't know. Last time I played it I was Afghanistan and was trying to conquer the middle east and since it was the furthest I got in V2 I didn't realize at some point the USA would send approximately 2 million soldiers to the shores of Arabia, like 20 boats on every sea tile from there to florida. Another fun one was playing as Texas.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

OkieMurse posted:

Since you're such a classy imp I'll have to give it a try Worm.

Any suggestions on a first timer to it to ensure a good addiction? Like I said, I've done plenty of EU3/4 and CK2 but I've never gotten around to playing Vicky at all.

(I think I do own all the DLC though.)

USA is a good learner nation for vicky 2. you have some immediate goals (beat up mexico), the civil war stuff, and post-civil war you have the ability to expand pretty much any way you can imagine.

and if you gently caress up the only really bad thing that could ever happen is uh... i dunno the UK invades through canada?

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I learned Victoria 1 by playing as Japan, which are good since you can kick Korea's rear end and China's if you got big nards, or try to kick the Dutch and Spanish out of SEA, and they get a historical guaranteed modernization event, at least they did in 1. I never really tried in Victoria 2 though so it might be different,

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I always lol at how crazy France is. I wanna do that Netherlands chieve and I had a poke around to see how people managed it and they all have these crazy strats to crack burgunday when they're weak by allying certain people and taking certain provinces immediately, but all I did was set a diplomat in france and beg them to be my ally and wait while France simultaneously beats them and Castile up for me.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

I did Mexico in PDM a long time ago and had a lot of fum because i managed to beat up the US enough that the CSA stayed independent and the US went presidential dictatorship. In PDM this triggers Disunited States (states secede from the union) so by end game i was ruling over a chunk of the US and (through my spheres) ruling over an American Anarchy Zone where a bunch of small North American states kept fighting each other or falling to communist / fascist rebels resulting in me having to intervene and reestablish my sphere over them or stopping them from fighting.

Funny enough I had fun with the stupid My Little Pony mod that I did an LP of on Badgame (and was probated for when I reposted it here) because it was basically like playing as an even smaller and shittier Mexico. Well except the barely literate guy that made the mod accidentally put a ton of Soldier POPs in Stalliongrad.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Wormskull posted:

I learned Victoria 1 by playing as Japan, which are good since you can kick Korea's rear end and China's if you got big nards, or try to kick the Dutch and Spanish out of SEA, and they get a historical guaranteed modernization event, at least they did in 1. I never really tried in Victoria 2 though so it might be different,

Oh yeah. Japan is really good learning game for Vicky 2 since it has a lot of stuff it can do and the only really hard fight is Russia and surviving against China's 1 billion crappy soldiers. I think it was my first game in Vicky 1 as well.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

In the Ireland game I played by 1453 the ERE had taken over all of france, all of the balkans, all of italy, most of northern africa, much of the Near East, and a lot of eastern europe, half of Iberia and wanted Andalusia from me/my dynasty. They were absolutely impossible to deal with the first time I tried a converted save from like 1440 so I loaded it up and spent all of my gold and time just killing one emperor after an other trying to break it up a little bit but they were still a giant problem especially since most of the territory had become culturally greek already if it wasn't cosmopolitaine.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Hay Man, what are the odds of the AI giving me poo poo I have claims/missions for in war?

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

I used the Victoria 2 Save Game Analyzer once and I had like 5 million people die on both sides in a war against China. 1 million from casualties in a single battle alone iirc.

Also in a game where I played as Russia and went communist about 2 million died in the Soviet-Krakow War which was funny to see.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

DICKHEAD posted:

I used the Victoria 2 Save Game Analyzer once and I had like 5 million people die on both sides in a war against China. 1 million from casualties in a single battle alone iirc.

Also in a game where I played as Russia and went communist about 2 million died in the Soviet-Krakow War which was funny to see.

Baron Bonghits always brings up how epic it is to be China and murder Britain's entire workforce in a huge war with your disposable billion man army and collapse there hold on the world.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Hay Man, what are the odds of the AI giving me poo poo I have claims/missions for in war?

Allied AI? I dunno the odds but messing around as Scotland and allied with France I noticed they would try to give me at least a couple of claims unless they also had a claim there (we were working together to eat Burgundy. They probably always give cores but I've never had the opportunity to test it.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Wormskull posted:

Baron Bonghits always brings up how epic it is to be China and murder Britain's entire workforce in a huge war with your disposable billion man army and collapse there hold on the world.

If you civilize China and take the abuse from Great Powers most of the game you can get insanely powerful. Your income is good enough from just RGOs after civilization that all you really need to research is war tech as well

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

gently caress...I dunno if I wanna risk my alliance with France by peacing out early...but then again I want to get my poo poo before Austria gets it.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

StashAugustine posted:

paradox has a bad habit of releasing expansions that are kinda buggy and then by the time they're fixed they've announced the next expansion and i'm all "oh that sounds cool i'll wait for that"

This

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

gently caress France. I waited out their gay war to see if they would give me stuff and they didn't, so I went to plan B which was to attack the coalition chain and bring in Burgundy because they warned me (lmao at being able to warn me with a truce, but whatever). France peaced out before I could even siege the 2 provinces I wanted and took they poo poo they sieged, leaving me high and dry against half of Norther Europe. Lmfao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

muscovy-russia on eu4 is p epic but if you want harder mode go novgorod-russia