Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I would do that if I didn't recently play one as Connacht from 867.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

oh tribals can have feudal vassals so i think mongols and stuff may be tribal?

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

i assume feudal rulers can have tribal vassals too? since charlemagne himself did? i hope great moravia was made into a tribe in 867 start as well

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

I get paid to stab people with sharp objects.
Let me get this straight - they are trying to introduce anti-blob mechanics in an expansion names after one of the greatest French rulers of all time who ruled France at one of its Big Blue Blobbiest times???

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

OkieMurse posted:

Let me get this straight - they are trying to introduce anti-blob mechanics in an expansion names after one of the greatest French rulers of all time who ruled France at one of its Big Blue Blobbiest times???

It fell apart though...which is what they want to happen naturally in game.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I think my favourite change is that annoying republic event that made you lose republic tradition or monarch points now gives you republic tradition of you choose the monarch point option.

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

It fell apart though...which is what they want to happen naturally in game.

Good point. In the game even moderate blobs can WC if left alone long enough but i guess for reals they always seem to collapse under their own weight at a certain point.

Also Dickhead, that roman screenshot that is not CK or EU that you posted a few pages back... Is that Hegemony? Whatever it is I've never played it and it looks pretty.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

OkieMurse posted:

Good point. In the game even moderate blobs can WC if left alone long enough but i guess for reals they always seem to collapse under their own weight at a certain point.

Also Dickhead, that roman screenshot that is not CK or EU that you posted a few pages back... Is that Hegemony? Whatever it is I've never played it and it looks pretty.

'Tis.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

What do y'all recommend I do with Netherlands now that I formed them...It's like 1525 and I took colonisation 3rd and I think I can get the jump on India, but I dunno if getting North American scraps might be worth it too.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

OkieMurse posted:

Hegemony Gold. Don't get the new Roman one. It's a real stinker.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

What do y'all recommend I do with Netherlands now that I formed them...It's like 1525 and I took colonisation 3rd and I think I can get the jump on India, but I dunno if getting North American scraps might be worth it too.

It won't be. Just focus on getting all the money of india and the orient over to the netherlands imho. Do you have Res Publica? I kinda wanna check out the new Dutch government mechanics.

Oh yeah that reminds me... in Art of War they're removing the western europe node (thank god)

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

I finally stomped Athens. I drove them out of Athens itself and tore down the city's walls. Now I just have to destroy all of their 1 billion far flung Islands and minor cities so that they stop raiding me all the time. After I take Thasos and Euboea I'll work on taking Southern Greece.

It'll feel good to do what Philip of Macedon couldn't... conquer Sparta and tear down their walls.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

DICKHEAD posted:

It won't be. Just focus on getting all the money of india and the orient over to the netherlands imho. Do you have Res Publica? I kinda wanna check out the new Dutch government mechanics.

Oh yeah that reminds me... in Art of War they're removing the western europe node (thank god)

Yeah I do. I can't tell what changes are from that DLC and can't be bothered looking them up, but I really like monarch point focus. Also probably gonna let Calvinism take over to try out the fervour thing.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

What do you do with Trade Companies?

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

What do you do with Trade Companies?

Get enough trade power to give them 50% of trade power in a node and you get an extra merchant. I wouldn't give them more provinces than necessary though because you lose the taxes. They also boost the goods of all non-western civs in the area based on their trade power so it's good to keep protectorates so those nodes are more valuable. Generally focus on grabbing provinces with high base trade power and protectorate the rest i think. for the bonus goods.

Oh and use them to prevent non-western people from westernizing using your little colonies.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Calvinism is insanely good now. I hope Catholicism is deece now that the pope can give legitimacy and cash.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

What the gently caress is up with Dutch republic...you can't reelect dudes, so I'm stuck with gimpy tards forever.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Knuc U Kinte posted:

What the gently caress is up with Dutch republic...you can't reelect dudes, so I'm stuck with gimpy tards forever.

Oh you get random rulers like a monarchy or something. You choose between a statist or a monarchist.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

MAn they dish out some insane stat rulers too. I've had a 6/5/5 and the others haven't been much worse.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

House of orange stronk.

also getting a lot of powerful trade companies gets you absurd cash specially with posts and level 7 trade buildings

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I've got fifty hours logged between CK2 and Vicky 2 and I still don't really get either one.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I like CK2 but never played a Total War game. Is one of them particularly good?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Parallax Scroll posted:

rome is antiquated, rome 2 is a buggy pile of poo poo. medieval and shogun are the best. empire and napoleon suck because the combat model falls apart when you introduce too many firearms. it works with shogun because soldiers with rifles are incredibly expensive so there are very few of them unless you're the superior Shimazu who start with gun soldiers

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

they fixed a lot of hte poo poo on rome 2

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

i heard they're making hearts of iron 4, hype for a new hitler tutorial

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
there was this bad free game where you could play like risk and download extra maps or change the rules and its killing me that i cant remember

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Luigi Thirty posted:

rome is antiquated, rome 2 is a buggy pile of poo poo. medieval and shogun are the best. empire and napoleon suck because the combat model falls apart when you introduce too many firearms. it works with shogun because soldiers with rifles are incredibly expensive so there are very few of them unless you're the superior Shimazu who start with gun soldiers

lmao if your samurai clan can't outgun the Army of the Potomac by 1865 in FotS

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Reformed is so epic now. I really like switching my fervour focus. Trade focus is so good in peace, but the war and stab bonuses have their place too. I used the stab one when I first switch and I had a single revolt that came from an event.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Reformed Trade focus + Netherlands ideas + Dutch Republic Statists...

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

the new hindu mechanics look good cool too. you get a kickass bonus once per monarch by making a deity your personal patron. also sikh looks rad as hell but it only appears at lategame iirc

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

i wanna make a sikh punjab-hindustan playthrough now or go easymode and form hindustan as vijyanaghar starting 1444

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

medieval and shogun are the best.

This man knows what is up.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Parallax Scroll posted:

shogun 2 is the only good one

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

is medieval 2 not good? I grabbed it a few weeks ago for a buck but haven't tried it yet

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

If you want Total War type battles check out Ultimate General: Gettysburg made by some Total War modder guy who uses Darth Vader as his online avatar i n the year 2014

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Awesome! posted:

is medieval 2 not good? I grabbed it a few weeks ago for a buck but haven't tried it yet

No clue since at release it was broken with poo poo like cav not deploying lances for like half a year. Plus Total War's patented retard ai. I never bothered with the expansions

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

DICKHEAD posted:

If you want Total War type battles check out Ultimate General: Gettysburg made by some Total War modder guy who uses Darth Vader as his online avatar i n the year 2014

despite darth being a super whiny baby gettysburg loving rules

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

despite darth being a super whiny baby gettysburg loving rules

it's really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

RIP france