Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

I get paid to stab people with sharp objects.

DICKHEAD posted:

it's really good

There is a video somewhere of him playing through a battle and explaining how the game works and I cried for real tears of joy

I need to play that loving game, is it done and out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

OkieMurse posted:

There is a video somewhere of him playing through a battle and explaining how the game works and I cried for real tears of joy

I need to play that loving game, is it done and out?

It's early access but more than functional. Just did an AI / slight rebalance today.

MULTIPLAYER

• Fixed some stability issues.

• "Conquer the map" battle now has less duration and delay.

• Gameplay update to fit new Single player changes.

GAMEPLAY

• New AI mechanics to improve the general AI behaviour. AI should now more frequently fall back when it attacks vs overwhelming odds. Especially in Defence AI should be much more resilient. It should prefer to stand and defend objectives according to personality.

• Charge melee bonus slightly increased. Previously charges were mostly handled easily by the defenders.

• Buford's skirmishers have slightly reduced accuracy in long range fire (this made them a bit overpowered as reported).

• Slight rebalances of some units. Pettigrew will not get tired so fast as before. Union large inexperienced units will have less accuracy in long range fire.

OTHER

• Menu music got a slight improvement.

We will appreciate a lot if you play the game in its final stages of Early Access life and report to us any good or bad that you find. There is still time to correct major issues.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

I really hate to endorse an Early Access game but it's only 10 bucks and feature complete so whatever.

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

DICKHEAD posted:

10 bux. feature complete

That's good enough for me.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

DICKHEAD posted:

If you want Total War type battles check out Ultimate General: Gettysburg made by some Total War modder guy who uses Darth Vader as his online avatar i n the year 2014

This is kind of epic.

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

This is the video I was talking about.

It's 20 minutes of pure unadulterated war game and it's awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_b2xJ_t-VU

I am not a very good tactical gamer so I don't know if I could micro with this level of foresight and strategy but it's like watching an artist paint.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

OkieMurse posted:

This is the video I was talking about.

It's 20 minutes of pure unadulterated war game and it's awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_b2xJ_t-VU

I am not a very good tactical gamer so I don't know if I could micro with this level of foresight and strategy but it's like watching an artist paint.

That's the same AI setting I did in my Union game. Game is pretty rough because unit morale, casualties, etc. are retained through each phase of the battle over how ever long it takes (I believe you can end the battle on the first day if you take the right objectives).

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

This was the result of my first completed campaign. I really need to do a CSA campaign but as I understand it... if you don't wipe the floor with the Yankees on day one then it becomes a huge slog.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Is it a game where once you've won the battle as both sides there's not really much else to do. I guess for 10 bucks that ain't too bad but I don't think it'd be prudent to break my 420 game count for that kind of experience.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Wormskull posted:

Is it a game where once you've won the battle as both sides there's not really much else to do. I guess for 10 bucks that ain't too bad but I don't think it'd be prudent to break my 420 game count for that kind of experience.

You get different battles based on how you perform, the battles branch at certain points (in my first Union campaign I opted to counterattack rather than defend Gettysburg on the first phase of day 2), different battle setups (if the CSA take certain hills in one battle then they'll be entrenched on those in the next, and there's different AI settings.

Here. I'm playing Union with the best aggressive AI setting for the CSA. Normally the Union campaign is about defending but I managed to grab all of the strategic objectives on day 1, phase 1 (typically hills you would want anyway).

The result is the next phase of battle is one I've never seen before. Normally you fall back to a choice of hills just in front of Gettysburg or (if you wanted or maybe if you do bad enough) an area behind Gettysburg. Instead I have my forces right at the edge of the map (about where they start in the first battle) and face the remainder of the first army I fought and a huge number of reinforcements.

Also going all out may have been stupid because my army is pretty battered

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I'm doing the Venice chieve...what would be the best way to get CBs on Mamlukes/Moldova to get the trade provinces I want.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I'm doing the Venice chieve...what would be the best way to get CBs on Mamlukes/Moldova to get the trade provinces I want.

I believe you get a mission to grab Cyprus. From there just claim the Levant

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Now just have to figure out what to do about Ottomans.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I have Ragusa and Constantinople and now I'm making le retard face and wondering what to do next.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

You can;t even do that awesome start where you'd overwhelm them with galleys bfore you blockaded them with one ship per port until they died from rebels anymore.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

You can;t even do that awesome start where you'd overwhelm them with galleys bfore you blockaded them with one ship per port until they died from rebels anymore.

once you get your ideas going you can churn out galleys like crazy

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Oh my god the new dev diary

thank god

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

DICKHEAD posted:

Oh my god the new dev diary

thank god

Translation: They made it so one province doesn't have multiple terrain types and the terrain you will be crossing or fighting in is much more clear in tooltips since they make a huge difference on combats.

About time.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I just assume that everything with mountains will roll mountains anyway, but the river crossing thing is a godsend.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Map Gamer Feels: you're laying in bed, but you can't sleep because you keep trying to think up strats for a game you're playing/planning.

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

I know that feels

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Map Gamer Feels: you're laying in bed, but you can't sleep because you keep trying to think up strats for a game you're playing/planning.

I been getting this but about houses I want to make in The Sims 4. Well not so much the past couple weeks but definitely in September.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

AHAHAHAHA

The Pope declares there is no God

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Knuc U Kinte posted:

same except at work

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Parallax Scroll posted:

same except at work

i learned eu3 by reading a lp for an entire work day

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

maybe it was a mistake but i got rome 2. couldn't resist the setting

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Awesome! posted:

is medieval 2 not good? I grabbed it a few weeks ago for a buck but haven't tried it yet

yes, medieval 2 is excellent. like all strategy games it was broken on release and fixed later on and there's probably a fan patch

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i don't care about this dumb realtime battle bullshit. can i disable that and just do the map part?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Parallax Scroll posted:

i don't care about this dumb realtime battle bullshit. can i disable that and just do the map part?

you can autobattle and poo poo

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

you can autobattle and poo poo

aight cool

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

tbh total wars strategic side is only good as a way of setting up interesting tactical battles though

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

shogun 2's tactical battles are the best especially the fort defenses when you get guys with firearms and cannons

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Map games are extremely baller. I may be a filthy casual who only plays CK2 and EU4 but they are both very fun. I am kind of a casual dweeb though and I get bored and do a new start after a hundred years or so or I have a major set back and just give up.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

its completely normal not to play an entire game to the end

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

you just play until you feel like doing something else, like sim city i guess

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

elf help book posted:

you just play until you feel like doing something else, like sim city i guess

yeah excetp i also think Pretty Borders are dumb............

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

filthy casual scum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

you loving disgust me