Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

To my knowledge I currently own all but the free Yuletide DLC songs for mapgames since EU3 (I might be missing some stuff from HoI3 since I don't keep up to date on it too hard).

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I also, as you know, have day-1 purchased just about every expansion DLC.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The golden rule of Map Gaming: Do not expand further if your borders look bad.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I will release an entire kingdom just to have some other country with a stupid looking borders. I can't take it.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Widestancer posted:

What are some of the harder to access ones and are they worth it?

We have a long running risk game at work in a back room where turns take place approximately whenever all involved have spare time. So far my Africa Strategy just isn't cutting it.

I've found Hearts of Iron to be the hardest to get into but I think it's because of my preference to learn something by just playing it rather than figuring out which things to just ignore in a game and the HoI series, especially 2's tech tree, can be overwhelming. I learned mapgames with CK1, then I learned Victoria 1, then I learned EU3 and I've yet to learn a Hearts of Iron game very well, which sucks since I want to do the Spanish Civil War campaign in it.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

It's arguable but I would say, barring just asking a seasoned vet what the Way To Play It is (which I hate playing games if that's how you have to do it generally, especially single player ones) HoI has the most information you need to absorb up front and because of the span of time it covers it can often feel like there's not enough time to learn it or to justify sitting at the research screen even to read and decide which of the like 72 paths you could take when.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Not even getting into military composition and stuff.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Also HoI3 being extremely slow turned me off of it for a while. I had preordered the game and was epically excited to get into it and I fell asleep in my chair in 1936 with the game on max speed and woke up 5 hours later and the game had barely gotten into 1937 or something.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Well I know HoI2 is the best one.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

mapgame is the stupidest and most loving broad rear end thing ive ever loving heard

Your a child. People only refer to this genre in the context of Paradox-style games anyway. Get a grip dude. Oh boo hoo, if we can call it gay Marriage you might as well get married to a wolf. You sound like a moron. Grow up.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

why dont you just call it marriage

Why don't You accept how the mapgaming community has deemed appropriate to affectionately refer to their genre. If your talking to someone who says the word "mapgame" you don't need to call it a Historical Grand Strategy game. Simple as that.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

elf help book posted:

my category for them in steam is "Map" so its official to me

Same here but MAP.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Famous TV Dad posted:

the only map game i have played is CK2 but its really fun. i want to play a game like ck2 but based on a completely fictional setting.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

elf help book posted:

if schools were still cool they would have ck2 installed on computers like 90s kids had oregon trail

Yea.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I prefer the other series in a lot of ways to CK, but CK is still drat epic, and easier to get settled into for a long haul.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Famous TV Dad posted:

i didnt know the game even supported mods dude -_-

How do you miss the gigantic banner that says Steam Workshop.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The first rule of mapgames is don't play the tutorial although the HoI3 one is kinda funny.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I learned CK1 from a guy who pronounced demesne "Demizen" which whatever but I always remember aki calling him a birdbrained retard for it or something.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Just a couple days ago all the DLC was like 75-90% off.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

grate deceiver posted:

ck2 and vicky2 fukken own

eu4 i find boring as hell, there's not much to do apart from moving your mans around the map and fiddling with the trade nodes. sometimes you also build a thing i guess

whats the latest word on elder kings? is playing as the motherfucking undead draugr king viable yet? i think skellingtons were a playable race last i checked

Who the hell would care about that.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

That looks awesome.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Touch wood and everyfing.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I bought CoP so I could be the Pueblos.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Crimea to either Russia or Turkey is a most prestigious and epic experience.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I wish I didn't play as conservatively as I tend to in these since it makes it a huge pain to be a Khanate like crimea or w/e. Maybe I should just go all out next time I play it.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

DICKHEAD posted:

im gonna play the goth kingdom in crimea theyre adding with art of war
Is it scythians or something.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I want to be scythians.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I can't imagine for the life of me watching someone else play a map game.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

zeal posted:

gonna need a new Rome game for that, Scythians ceased to recognizably exist 200ish BCE

I know but I want to be them.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

DICKHEAD posted:

I'll play it anyway because I'm stupid as hell

Same but because I don't give a drat about bugs unless their the ones that put me to sleep a la Hearts of Iron 3 tracking the mud percentage of 3000 provinces individually every single tick.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

westernized iroquouis

I did this I think just before CoP came out and near the end France had settled next to me, utterly destroyed my army since they were still 10 techs ahead, took a single province in a war against me that wasn't even part of there casus belli and the AI just sat in that province until I sent like 5 different armies into it so I had extreme war exhaustion which made anti-westernization rebels pop up all over and I finally got tired of it and when one of the dialogue boxes for another group of them popped up I just sold the province to Norway but the rebels still popped up against me except they had full western Norwegian tech instead of whatever tech I had having just barely westernized.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I noticed that Ireland doesn't have that worthless national idea that increases republic tradition anymore...I also noticed that one of the sea zones by Ireland is called Dingle Bay.

lol

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

What did they replace that one with, I thought I seen it last time I played when I tried to continue my ireland game from CK2.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

DICKHEAD posted:

it's cool that if you are a republic it's really good. i think they still have it but it gives something else as well though

Oh.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

DICKHEAD posted:

oh my god

Looks fairly epic.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

HoI3 isn't narrated by Hitler so much as a third person narrates him trying to teach you how to play the game, which is an important distiction.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I wish I had bought it before I reached 420 games on Steam.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Starting as Ireland in CK2 as of The Old Gods can be rough if you do the 867 start because the Norse can be extremely aggressive and tend to coalition with each other pretty hard. It wasn't until like 1300 when the HRE finally kicked the remaining norse and Norwegians out of england in the last game I played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Be Matilda di Canossa for some epic win, as well.