Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

I get paid to stab people with sharp objects.
Latecomer to the thread here but I am a hardcore eu/ck fan. Haven't really taken the plunge into Vicky. I can't loving stand the micro in hoi.

Zdr, you need to give ck2 another chance. I recommend the tutorial at https://www.ckiiwiki.com/Beginner%27s_guide and I would recommend doing Spain or Ireland. Ireland is my fave cause its a nice small area but there is a lot of conquering to be done without any truly powerful nations getting up in your kool-aid. After you get the basics, try someone that can kick a bit more rear end. It's hard to conquer the world in CK though, it's more about enduring that your sperm is more privileged than anyone else's sperm.

My favorite OMG moments in the regular game have come from playing the Vikings in the Old Gods expansion but I hate to recommend a DLC for a game you don't like yet.

I would also highly highly recommend the game of thrones mod if you're into that series. Being emotionally invested in your digital family is very important in the enjoyment of this game and if you've read the books its easier to care about the Starks and Martells than it is about some inbred poncy French monarch.

In my game I played as Daenerys and actually came back and claimed the gently caress out of the Iron Throne with my goddamn dragons. I also had a twin son and daughter with Daario that I married to each other and bred to bring the Targaryen line back. There was another son born without the white hair but he disappeared somehow mysteriously and in a way that was not at all ordered by Daenerys.

Long live House Targaryen.

Edit: if you want to do this poo poo in real history play as the Zoroastrians.

OkieMurse fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Oct 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

Yeah Ireland is good for vanilla without DLC.

If you have a coast in Europe, Vikings wreck all your poo poo in Old Gods.

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

Wormskull posted:

It's epic.

Since you're such a classy imp I'll have to give it a try Worm.

Any suggestions on a first timer to it to ensure a good addiction? Like I said, I've done plenty of EU3/4 and CK2 but I've never gotten around to playing Vicky at all.

(I think I do own all the DLC though.)

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

"Korean Africa"

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

DICKHEAD posted:

Apparently Ireland in the new start (and the Picts) will be tribal to represent the High King thing

This is going to be my first game the day the DLC comes out.

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

Let me get this straight - they are trying to introduce anti-blob mechanics in an expansion names after one of the greatest French rulers of all time who ruled France at one of its Big Blue Blobbiest times???

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

It fell apart though...which is what they want to happen naturally in game.

Good point. In the game even moderate blobs can WC if left alone long enough but i guess for reals they always seem to collapse under their own weight at a certain point.

Also Dickhead, that roman screenshot that is not CK or EU that you posted a few pages back... Is that Hegemony? Whatever it is I've never played it and it looks pretty.

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

medieval and shogun are the best.

This man knows what is up.

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

RIP france

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

DICKHEAD posted:

it's really good

There is a video somewhere of him playing through a battle and explaining how the game works and I cried for real tears of joy

I need to play that loving game, is it done and out?

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

DICKHEAD posted:

10 bux. feature complete

That's good enough for me.

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

This is the video I was talking about.

It's 20 minutes of pure unadulterated war game and it's awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_b2xJ_t-VU

I am not a very good tactical gamer so I don't know if I could micro with this level of foresight and strategy but it's like watching an artist paint.

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

DICKHEAD posted:

Oh my god the new dev diary

thank god

Translation: They made it so one province doesn't have multiple terrain types and the terrain you will be crossing or fighting in is much more clear in tooltips since they make a huge difference on combats.

About time.

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

I know that feels

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

AHAHAHAHA

The Pope declares there is no God

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

Did you just close your eyes and spin a globe when you were trying to figure out what to conquer next?

I keed I keed, map on mapper. You've got the Holy Land like any good Crusader King should and therefore you won.

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

I am trying to learn Vicky 2.

It looks like a great game, I just have to re-learn how to play Paradox games prior to the big CK2 shift.

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

Started as Japan, normal difficulty. I usually play these games very aggressively so first thing to do is obviously take Korea. Started manufacturing a conquest CB and get discovered right away for a huge infamy hit. Still managed to take Korea easily. However I did not notice that they were allied with the Chinese empire until the last minute. With a bit of hurried troop conscription and some luck on my part due to the Chinese splitting their invading armies too much, I was able to drive them off and force a white peace. Sent a diplomat to improve relations a bit to stave off the inevitable Chinese invasion in the future.

Sitting at 16 infamy in July 1840 with Korea fully conquested, 34/62 brigades, 5/20 ships, land reform and financial reform done, 32.4% literacy, +4.52 research/day, and 1.46 militancy.

Looks like I get to cool my heels and enact another reform with my bonus points from conquest and wait for the infamy to chill out before I go terrorize some Pacific uncivs.

Any way to speed up that infamy loss?

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

Yeah, if you catch aggro from a superpower sometimes you're just hosed.

Don't really know what to do there. Sometimes I have luck reverting to old save and befriending a rival of theirs.

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

You could cheat like crazy but the achievement would forever be joyless and hollow, sitting in your collection mocking your inability to get poo poo done like a man

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

Mapgamers, you are all impossible to find on steam.

Add me to your steam friends if you want me to bug you about strategies.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/okiemurse/

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

All of the important Map Gamers are already my Steam Friends.

My feels

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

poo poo when did Victoria II get cards

I don't know but the first one I got was "The Steam"

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

Anyone use the Pop Demand Mod for V2? A friend recommended it but I was going to play a few vanilla games first.

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

Absolutely. I have a list of vanilla games I want to do first.

Finish this Japan game.
USA (or maybe CSA)
China or Russia
Somewhere in India or Africa.

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

i tried an iroqouis game just to see if they made it less loving homo with conquest of paradise

its actually p sweet, there's stuff to do and north americans can do more besides sit there and slowly upgrade tech after conquering their 2 or 3 neighbors

meso/south america did not get touched at all and is still AWFUL. they didnt even port the unique ideas they get from ck2 converter into vanilla wtf. i thought all new world nations sucked but turns out that just inca/aztec, north america is decently fun to play now. maybe it will suck poo poo balls once england and france show up though.

I feel like NA stands a much better chance now. I loved CoP since I think my most played factions in that game are native americans and Portugal.

But yes, South America is still retarded.

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I survived Great Britain raping my rear end as Cherokee by pure luck. They took some of my poo poo when I first met them, but France kicked their rear end in a war I wasn't even involved in and they returned my cores.

Wow, thanks France!

They're not ALL bad.

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I'm probably going to stop playing when I get the Chieve.

What's next?

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

Japan game is going well, learning as I go. Took Johore and sent lots of diplomats to suck off the British in hopes that they let me keep it. I'm 90% of the way to westernized but not there yet. My transports morale/health keeps dropping like a rock even when my ships are not at sea. Am I missing something about supplying ships or is this just part of being an unciv?

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Hey, Asswholes. It's been the 14th for like a whole day now. Where's Charlemagne.

Is it not loving out yet? I'm super pumped and want to play this as soon as I get home in 7 hours.

I assume your first play is going to be as Charlemagne himself right Knuc?

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Lmao. Seriously? I couldn;t be arsed with Jews because they had less flavour than Zoroastrians.

I wanted to play a Jewish empire so much after their expansion but their flavor is just so goddamn bad. :(

And paradox was like "that's history, bitches" but then they had sunset invasion.

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

DICKHEAD posted:

Oh yeah there's gonna be new early period clothes (iron crowns and weird goofy hats for emperors) but the stream wasn't clear if they're part of the Charlemagne DLC or if they're separate??

You know they'll come out with like 10 optional cosmetic packs anyways and I'll buy them all on release.

It's me, I'm part of the problem.

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

I'm glad to hear someone else say it too. All the discussion I've seen before on the Jews post Sons of Abraham went along the lines of "Yeah, the Jews suck for real though so it's totally fine!"

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

I just got home from a night shift at work. I have to be awake in 4 hours to pick the kid up from daycare. I'm thinking I might try out Charlemagne instead of sleeping. I can skip sleep.

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

DICKHEAD posted:

lmao. my first battle and charlemagne gets maimed

Charle-who?

Oh that scrub who caught an arrow in his first battle?

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

DICKHEAD posted:

Charlelame

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

Parallax Scroll posted:

most interesting ck2 game i've played was when the HRE conquered me and then i spent like 200 years building power as a vassal till i could take the empire over

I always ragequit whenever I get steamrolled like that.

I need to stick with it for cool stories like that.

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

DICKHEAD posted:

wish they let tribals raid same religion...

they don't?

Why the gently caress not? They're a different tribe, that's good enough.

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

PrinceRandom posted:

it is broke junk.

I don't give a gently caress. Day 1 DLC or nothing. The bugs add to the experience of a Paradox game. ;)

I played scripted Charlemagne until I assassinated my brother and married his wife and unified west and east Francia and then I put that game on the side to play tribal Ireland. I realized after you guys said something above that I forgot ironman too and I'll have to restart.

What earl did you pick for Ireland? I'm partial to the Ua Briain house so I went for the older Connacht guy but if any of the other Earls have cool history I may switch for my reboot.

The other interesting one may be the Ua Neills because the Red Hand of Ulster is a fantastic heraldry and folk tale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

There are dumb story events for every move that is natural for a player to take. Like my first thought was to kill Karloman, but I wanted to see what would happen if I didn;t so I cancelled the plot and mummy killed him anyway. Also, how many newbehs are gonna wait for the lombard princess plot to fire??

Yeah I kinda didn't like how railroady it felt but I guess that's the whole point.

I may play as their rival or the other brother and sink all my starting gold into putting a knife in charlemagnes back.