Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FairGame posted:

I would love to see Yadier Molina vs. ALL THE STEALS, though.

e: Interesting, KC led all of MLB in steals and successful steal %.

I might have missed people talking about this yesterday but here's the most over-zealous quote about speed I can imagine:

quote:

"I view him as a necessity," Yost said. "I view him as a guy like having Barry Bonds on the bench late that can come in and win a ballgame for you."

He's talking about Terrance Gore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

IcePhoenix posted:

Who was the guy on the Red Sox in 2004 that everyone knew was going to steal second and still went like 7/8 when used as a pinch runner?

Guys like that might not be super valuable in a 162 game season but in a best of 7 series where small sample size rules all their value is immense. If it's a close game they can turn it around and if it's not then whoever you left off the roster to keep him wasn't going to change anything.

Oh yeah I'm not saying he doesn't deserve a roster spot or there's anyone in particular who would be better to carry, just...you know...Barry. I also realized the other night that Yost can pinch run for Butler whenever he wants to and just put Willingham in the next time the DH comes around in the order which is kind of nice.

Obviously you'd rather not have two guys who are only going to be used as DH's (for this team) hanging around but it works out ok in that situation.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Matthews or Lefebvre? That's really kind of just Denny's style, which doesn't strike me as :effort: personally but maybe that's because I've heard him my entire life. His world series call is certainly happy but he's not screaming into the mic or anything (although I guess an 11-0 game isn't exactly in doubt at that point).

If it's Lefebvre I don't know.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Asema posted:

but how could anybody hate the royals :coffeepal:

Well?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

OctoberBlues posted:

It's funny how when someone on a team you are rooting for does that, it is hilarious, but when someone on a team you are rooting against does it, they are loving douchebags.

Are we looking for douchebags?

Asema posted:

can't wait for the first royal to pull something celebrating a single

DON'T BE HAPPY YOU GOT ON BASE. God can't wait for those guys to get injured.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I can't imagine how they're going to get Game 3 of the ALCS in tonight, it's been raining all day. It's supposed to switch over from steady rain to heavier rain at about the start of the game and last until midnight, then back to light rain until about 8AM.

So if they do get rained out I guess they'll probably end up having to play Thursday afternoon and end up with two day games in the series?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

zakharov posted:

ALCS Game 3 postponed :(

Glad they went ahead and announced it at least, I was worried they were going to mess around and try to delay the start hoping it'll get better or something.

e: Or I assume they announced it, where are you seeing this?

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 13, 2014

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FairGame posted:

Per Matheny, Molina had a successful catch and throw session today, but has not swung a bat yet and will not be disabled.

I guess they're thinking he can be a defensive replacement?

This makes some sort of sense but what the hell do you do if you replace him and the game ends up going on long enough that he comes to the plate? Just have him bunt no matter what the situation is or test out your emergency catcher or?

e: Oops you guys are carrying three catchers I guess.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 13, 2014

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

R.D. Mangles posted:

The Royals haven't lost a playoff game since 1985.

They've had the complete opposite problem the Chiefs have had since '93 or whenever. They just need to get in.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

zakharov posted:

For gently caress's sake you don't assume you're going to win. This is baseball, crazy poo poo happens here LIKE THE ROYALS GOING 7-0 IN THE PLAYOFFS

Argh, now I'm worried that I've jinxed the entire thing. Like, only half joking. Not even half. Like, a tenth. Or less.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Whodat Smith-Jones posted:

Cue the Benny Hill music any time the ball is hit to LF

I can't shake the feeling Yost will see this as a challenge and put Ibanez in right.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Monicro posted:

Clear proof that the Royals are a menace. Giants we beg of you to stop them before they kill again

I may have asked this earlier but where does this come from anyway? Just tired of hearing about the Shields trade or what?

I mean the Royals aren't likely to end up like the Red Sox did when everyone was cheering for them.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FairGame posted:

That and Jack Clark dropping a popup.

Was just finding that. Man he misplays the hell out of that ball.

Jesus this whole inning, Sundberg bunts with two strikes and does get the bunt down, but it isn't a sacrifice because they get Orta at third. Then Worrell crosses up his catcher and there's a passed ball at the worst time. John Wathan as one of the weirder pinch runners I can remember, although I guess he was fast for a catcher.

e: Astroturf was the worst but watching that made me wonder just how many infield singles this Royals team could hit if they still had it. loving Aoki wouldn't even try to hit the ball out of the infield.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Huh, after watching that I wondered why Hal McRae was available to pinch hit, the game was at Kaufman/Royals stadium back then and as I remember it he was their DH pretty much all year.

Apparently from 76-85 they just alternated years, you'd use a DH for all world series games in the even years and no DH in the odd ones. They switched to the current home game thing in 1986.

• Locked thread